q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 89.
#2801 4 years ago

I really wanted to love Splatoon 2. Bought it at as the first game when I got my switch. Thought me and my kid-0 would play together. Turns out neither of us really liked it. We play more solo games separately. Hope to get into it together one day but for now having way to much fun playing solo rpg's apart.

#2802 4 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I really wanted to love Splatoon 2. Bought it at as the first game when I got my switch. Thought me and my kid-0 would play together. Turns out neither of us really liked it. We play more solo games separately. Hope to get into it together one day but for now having way to much fun playing solo rpg's apart.

As someone who has 620 hours on Splatoon 2 & hates RPGs, does not compute lol

#2803 4 years ago

I've been playing Splatoon 2 again. I find it to be pretty fun overall, they've done quite a few updates since I last played it. It's interesting because when you play non-ranked, everyone seems to be terrible...I think I played 20 or so games the past couple days unranked (as I didn't have enough levels to get to ranked play yet) and I think I was first on my team in all of them (most of the time by a huge margin) but one where I switched my gun out one time (and then went back). Ranked is pretty good but I don't like the modes as much as the unranked map painting (maybe that's a mode in ranked? I haven't gotten it yet if it is). I'm pretty sure the secret to my success is that I'm using a pro controller with no motion controls enabled...since I've been playing FPS games with controllers since 2001, and I think most of the people playing unranked are probably kids using motion controls.

Also playing some Luigi's mansion 3. Pretty fun, I don't like it as much as the original, but it's good.

#2804 4 years ago

I really like Splatoon, but don't find myself playing it much for whatever reason. Pity it doesn't have single screen multiplayer. My brother-in-laws would love it when they come over for game night, but none of them have switches, so we just play Smash and Rocket League.

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm pretty sure the secret to my success is that I'm using a pro controller with no motion controls enabled...since I've been playing FPS games with controllers since 2001, and I think most of the people playing unranked are probably kids using motion controls

I’m level 89, Rank S+ ...only way to play is with Pro + motion. That’s the only way you can aim & move like butter. Click click click aiming won’t get you far. Motion aiming is what the pros use, not the kids.

Most people play like idiots at lower level because they’re just figuring it out. They just aim at the floor, they don’t know the weapons, gear, maps.

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m level 89, Rank S+ ...only way to play is with Pro + motion. That’s the only way you can aim & move like butter. Click click click aiming won’t get you far. Motion aiming is what the pros use, not the kids.
Most people play like idiots at lower level because they’re just figuring it out. They just aim at the floor, they don’t know the weapons, gear, maps.

I did some research on it, seems like 80% of the players use the motion, the others are probably like me and are so used to the old style that it's too hard to switch, lol. The rainmaker mode so far is pretty frustrating...so many times someone on your team picks it up and then just goes nowhere with it, even when there are no enemies around.

I find it pretty fun, though I wish they'd allow you to pick your game mode...evidently I keep playing when rainmaker is the only game mode, so I keep getting stuck playing that. There's a lot of quitting that goes on too, my last three matches someone on my team quit. I actually don't know if they're quitting or if Nintendo's online system is kicking them out, it's kicked me out a bunch of times too (not when playing though, usually in between matches).

#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I did some research on it, seems like 80% of the players use the motion, the others are probably like me and are so used to the old style that it's too hard to switch, lol. The rainmaker mode so far is pretty frustrating...so many times someone on your team picks it up and then just goes nowhere with it, even when there are no enemies around.
I find it pretty fun, though I wish they'd allow you to pick your game mode...evidently I keep playing when rainmaker is the only game mode, so I keep getting stuck playing that. There's a lot of quitting that goes on too, my last three matches someone on my team quit. I actually don't know if they're quitting or if Nintendo's online system is kicking them out, it's kicked me out a bunch of times too (not when playing though, usually in between matches).

I haven’t been kicked off since I switched to an Apple Airport for WiFi (and when I’m docked, I’m wired). I suspect people dropping off is due to their own shifty WiFi.

Seriously tho - try motion. Keep in mind it isn’t pure motion. You still couple it with the right stick for left/right aim. It’s a powerful combo and very freeing to be able to look around and aim precisely with motion.

Tip for lower rank Rainmaker - EVERYONE tries to go for it...so, rather than rushing it - get around the other other team and try to kill them off as they’re rushing for it. Anyway, as you rank up, there will be less shitty players & competition becomes crazy.

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I haven’t been kicked off since I switched to an Apple Airport for WiFi (and when I’m docked, I’m wired). I suspect people dropping off is due to their own shifty WiFi.
Seriously tho - try motion. Keep in mind it isn’t pure motion. You still couple it with the right stick for left/right aim. It’s a powerful combo and very freeing to be able to look around and aim precisely with motion.
Tip for lower rank Rainmaker - EVERYONE tries to go for it...so, rather than rushing it - get around the other other team and try to kill them off as they’re rushing for it. Anyway, as you rank up, there will be less shitty players & competition becomes crazy.

I'm not sure if I could do the motion controls while working out on the elliptical like I'm doing now, I think it would be pretty tough. I'll use your tips for Rainmaker. The dropoffs are definitely on Nintendo's side for me, I have zero dropoffs on my xbox one x that's right next to my switch...and it's not disconnecting me entirely, it's just kicking me back to the lobby (where I can immediately reconnect).

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure if I could do the motion controls while working out on the elliptical like I'm doing now, I think it would be pretty tough. I'll use your tips for Rainmaker. The dropoffs are definitely on Nintendo's side for me, I have zero dropoffs on my xbox one x that's right next to my switch...and it's not disconnecting me entirely, it's just kicking me back to the lobby (where I can immediately reconnect).

LOL you shouldn’t be playing a precise competitive game while on an elliptical!!! I can’t imagine!

#2810 4 years ago

Interested in a used copy of Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild if anyone is ready to move them on. Thanks!

#2811 4 years ago

Just finished Zelda Link's Awakening. Loved it, really well done. I had no issue with the length. Perfect for me. Wish there were more games like it. Now to go find a copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Just finished Zelda Link's Awakening. Loved it, really well done. I had no issue with the length. Perfect for me. Wish there were more games like it. Now to go find a copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Check and see if your local Redbox has them for sale. Probably $30

#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Check and see if your local Redbox has them for sale. Probably $30

Thanks for the heads up, but no switch games in my area.

#2814 4 years ago

Enter the Gungeon almost too hard for me as it's a lot of aiming and shooting in different directions, for me I am not that adept and prefer the simple move and jump (Mario type) maybe I'm too old for some of the more complex games.

#2815 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Enter the Gungeon almost too hard for me as it's a lot of aiming and shooting in different directions, for me I am not that adept and prefer the simple move and jump (Mario type) maybe I'm too old for some of the more complex games.

This game is super hard, and being the masochist I am, I made it harder by turning off all the aim assist features. Now it's excruciating. I love it.

#2816 4 years ago

How is Binding of Isaac? Is that any easier than Gungeon?

#2817 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Easier might be the word for it, or maybe more approachable as it can be very challenging. Binding of Isaac is the gold standard for rogue like games and is a must play. I have played countless rounds of it and still keep seeing new things. It's truly a marvelous game.

#2818 4 years ago

As much as I hate the theme of BoI, I really enjoyed it more than Enter the Gungeon. Some of the combinations you get for powers is really fun and absurd at times. I really like rouge likes though and will try any I can get my hands on. While it isn't on the Switch (yet), Hades is my new favorite rouge like. Feels a lot like Dead Cells, but from a top down Diablo like perspective.

#2819 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Feels a lot like Dead Cells, but from a top down Diablo like perspective.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks pretty cool.

#2820 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Thanks for the recommendation, looks pretty cool.

FWIW the story and voice acting are really well done. They update it very frequently too.

#2821 4 years ago

Been playing my Switch since Christmas. Most fun I have had with a new system in probably 10 years. Picked up Star Wars Pinball last weekend and today Raiden V was delivered. Haven't played a Raiden since I sold my Jaguar, so cool.

#2822 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I tried Binding of Isaac and f’ing hated it. I don’t think it’s easier than Gungeon at all. He shoots like one slow bubble at a time....I really don’t get how that game got so popular.

Gungeon is hard intentionally, so don’t feel bad if it destroys you. You unlock stuff permanently each time you die...so it gets more interesting each time you play, and repetition makes you get a bit better each time, too.

If you’re more in the mood for a Mario style platformer, and don’t mind a bit of exploration, too - try the Shantae games. Also Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom...amazing 2D platformer/exploration/puzzle game.

Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair is fantastic, too. As is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

#2823 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I tried Binding of Isaac and f’ing hated it. I don’t think it’s easier than Gungeon at all. He shoots like one slow bubble at a time....I really don’t get how that game got so popular.

This only lasts for a room or two before you start unlocking powers. I didn't like it at first, but it is a really deep and interesting game in the way the powers all work together. Aside from the theme the only other thing I don't really like about the game is that it is really hard to tell what a power up is going to do before you take it. There are cheat guides on the internet but that is pretty cumbersome. It is popular for many reasons, even if that reason may be lost on you. It isn't for everybody.

#2824 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

This only lasts for a room or two before you start unlocking powers. I didn't like it at first, but it is a really deep and interesting game in the way the powers all work together. Aside from the theme the only other thing I don't really like about the game is that it is really hard to tell what a power up is going to do before you take it. There are cheat guides on the internet but that is pretty cumbersome. It is popular for many reasons, even if that reason may be lost on you. It isn't for everybody.

Like TV shows, if a game doesn’t hook me within a few minutes, I tend to bounce. There’s so much in my backlog to play/watch, I can’t force myself if it bumps me right off the bat.

#2825 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gungeon is hard intentionally, so don’t feel bad if it destroys you. You unlock stuff permanently each time you die...so it gets more interesting each time you play, and repetition makes you get a bit better each time, too.
If you’re more in the mood for a Mario style platformer, and don’t mind a bit of exploration, too - try the Shantae games. Also Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom...amazing 2D platformer/exploration/puzzle game.
Yooka-Laylee & The Impossible Lair is fantastic, too. As is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Thanks. I must be too old for some several buttons at the same time game.

What about a side shooter like Sky Force. That looks good has anyone played them there are two different ones reloaded and anniversary edition. Or is there a better shooter you’d recommend?

#2826 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks. I must be too old for some several buttons at the same time game.
What about a side shooter like Sky Force. That looks good has anyone played them there are two different ones reloaded and anniversary edition. Or is there a better shooter you’d recommend?

I really love RIVE. It’s a love letter to classic shooters. Has a bit of space shooting, a bit of platforming. Gorgeous and smooth. It’s often on sale for half off, so I’d wait for it to be cheap if you’re patient.

Another old school shooter that goes on sale for like $3 a lot is Steredenn: Binary Stars. It’s randomly generated, & very tough, but it’s a great bite sized fun game. Awesome music.

R-Type Dimensions is a remake of R-Type 1 & 2, with easy modes if you’re feeling more casual. Also - often on sale!

Dimension Drive was just on sale for like $2 ...it’s an overhead scrolling shooter with a dual dimension mechanic which is pretty interesting.

#2827 4 years ago

just picked this up for $0.9

tried the demo first (I wish more games had demos).

#2828 4 years ago

I love cave shooters... this one is straight outta japan

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/esp_ra_de_psi

45C68FA0-8E61-4AE4-B352-FDC8B46FEBEC (resized).jpeg45C68FA0-8E61-4AE4-B352-FDC8B46FEBEC (resized).jpeg
#2829 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I love cave shooters... this one is straight outta japan
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/esp_ra_de_psi[quoted image]

Hmm, looks good but it's $65 on play asia. Would buy it at like half that lol

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

just picked this up for $0.9
tried the demo first (I wish more games had demos).

Sometimes those buck or less games are actually good! Hyper Sentinel is def one of them.

Here are some good cheapies (at the time of this post)

-A Robot Named Fight is 99 cents right now. It’s a roguelike Super Metroid.

-Xeodrifter is another cute Metroid-style game, 99 cents.

-Mutant Mudds Collection...a must buy for $1.49. 3 games in one. 2 are really good platformer/shooters with a fun foreground/background mechanic. 1 is a puzzle game.

-Conga Master Party. This game is goofy but worth $2.49, IMO. Funny 8-bit style, you have to dance around clubs and get people to join your conga line. Silly, but fun.

-Riptide GP ...I’ve always liked water racing games...this ones pretty fun, looks nice & is only $2.99

-VVVVVV This is a really fun ultra simple platformer/exploration game. Only $4.99 right now. Looks like a Commodore64 game, but really fun with excellent music & lots of content.

-R-Type Dimensions. Discussed above! Just noticed it’s on sale for $7.49

-Blossom Tales. If you liked SNES Zelda, you’ll like this. $7.49

-Cave Story+ ...amazing retro-style Metroid-style game. $9.99

#2831 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sometimes those buck or less games are actually good! Hyper Sentinel is def one of them.
Here are some good cheapies (at the time of this post)
-A Robot Named Fight is 99 cents right now. It’s a roguelike Super Metroid.
-Xeodrifter is another cute Metroid-style game, 99 cents.
-Mutant Mudds Collection...a must buy for $1.49. 3 games in one. 2 are really good platformer/shooters with a fun foreground/background mechanic. 1 is a puzzle game.
-Conga Master Party. This game is goofy but worth $2.49, IMO. Funny 8-bit style, you have to dance around clubs and get people to join your conga line. Silly, but fun.
-Riptide GP ...I’ve always liked water racing games...this ones pretty fun, looks nice & is only $2.99
-VVVVVV This is a really fun ultra simple platformer/exploration game. Only $4.99 right now. Looks like a Commodore64 game, but really fun with excellent music & lots of content.
-R-Type Dimensions. Discussed above! Just noticed it’s on sale for $7.49
-Blossom Tales. If you liked SNES Zelda, you’ll like this. $7.49
-Cave Story+ ...amazing retro-style Metroid-style game. $9.99

good point, I bought a Mario Maker 2.0 $60 no problem with paying that but sometimes can get 10-15 lesser games for $60.

I played VVVV on PC years ago good game.

I'm gonna check out some of the ones you posted.

I don't think Nintendo store has a wish list like Stream so I can wait for them to go on sale?

#2832 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

good point, I bought a Mario Maker 2.0 $60 no problem with paying that but sometimes can get 10-15 lesser games for $60.
I played VVVV on PC years ago good game.
I'm gonna check out some of the ones you posted.
I don't think Nintendo store has a wish list like Stream so I can wait for them to go on sale?

Yes there’s a wish list! I check it every day to see what’s gone on sale!

Click the Heart icon to add a game to your wishlist.

E67C63FE-7320-4BCE-8B15-8BF41476A3DF.jpegE67C63FE-7320-4BCE-8B15-8BF41476A3DF.jpeg676396FB-4311-4385-AEF8-66315B27ACA4.jpeg676396FB-4311-4385-AEF8-66315B27ACA4.jpeg
#2833 4 years ago

I don't see the heart icon.

#2834 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don't see the heart icon.

Take a pic - it’s on every single game’s page when I’m on the eShop.

Did you make an online account & link your Switch? If not, that could have something to do with it.

E52F3DA1-32A1-4795-B077-F7116C22760C (resized).jpegE52F3DA1-32A1-4795-B077-F7116C22760C (resized).jpeg
#2835 4 years ago

I see, I was looking on my laptop Mac but it's not there but I see it on the switch eStore.

#2837 4 years ago

Reviews on Megaman 11 if any of you have played it? I thought the original was kick ass.

#2838 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Reviews on Megaman 11 if any of you have played it? I thought the original was kick ass.

Extra screen real estate makes for some funky platforming sometimes. Fun game, but the dual gear gimmick is something you have to master before the wily castle stages on the higher difficulties.

The individual stages are usually pretty good with a clever trick or two, but in my opinion didn't hold a candle to #1 or 2. Rote memorization doesn't work in all cases for this one (but it usually gets you by).

Shop in between stages lets you buy extra lives or e tanks, etc.

Overall enjoyed. Hopeful for a sequel that does away with dual gears, though.

#2839 4 years ago

Hmmm. Sounds like it’s worth giving a play. Sometimes you just can’t beat the classics tho huh.

#2840 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Hmm, looks good but it's $65 on play asia. Would buy it at like half that lol

I totally get that...

The games developed by cave demand high prices. The arcade pcb for this game probably goes for somewhere between $1000-$1500...

Or you can play it with mame, but you’ll never play them without input lag unless you go original or get a licensed port

#2841 4 years ago

If I had the money I’d buy this Ford.
EB60EF6B-ECF0-4D82-B446-05262B71F847 (resized).jpegEB60EF6B-ECF0-4D82-B446-05262B71F847 (resized).jpeg

#2842 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If I had the money I’d buy this Ford.
[quoted image]

so, would I. they had one in the local dealer velvet roped off 2 years ago. what a beautiful car. would kill for an original 1966 mk II as well

#2843 4 years ago

Enjoying Starlink right now, might be down to the 80% discount!

As a BIG fan of Starfox64 (or LylatWars as we Europeans had to tolerate), I was hoping for more of that, which this isn’t exactly, but still very enjoyable.

NEED the Goose game next.

#2844 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

so, would I. they had one in the local dealer velvet roped off 2 years ago. what a beautiful car. would kill for an original 1966 mk II as well

I was trying to post that in the Ford v Ferrari pinball thread.

#2845 4 years ago

About 2/3rds of the way through Luigi's Mansion 3, it's a good game but man they made some design decisions that really make it tedious at times. Like the cat sequence on the 8th floor, so annoying. Trying to push through it but have kind of stalled on it. I still think I like the original better as it seemed less linear.

#2846 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

About 2/3rds of the way through Luigi's Mansion 3, it's a good game but man they made some design decisions that really make it tedious at times. Like the cat sequence on the 8th floor, so annoying. Trying to push through it but have kind of stalled on it. I still think I like the original better as it seemed less linear.

I struggled on that cat until I figured what needed to be done after a while observing him. It was a piece of cale after that and same everytime he comes back.

I finished it in coop mode with my daugther and really thought the gameplay had more to offer than the previous one which was a simple flash the ghost, vacuum the ghost, repeat over and over.

#2847 4 years ago

I finished Luigis Mansion over the holidays but it was a complete chore after about 1/2 to 2/3. There was a couple interesting settings but the gameplay is just so repetitive. I collected the stupid gems and boos and that was completely pointless as was the currency. It looked great but man it was a unrewarding grind.

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I finished Luigis Mansion over the holidays but it was a complete chore after about 1/2 to 2/3. There was a couple interesting settings but the gameplay is just so repetitive. I collected the stupid gems and boos and that was completely pointless as was the currency. It looked great but man it was a unrewarding grind.

I finished the game...then went back and got all the gems and Boos...finished it again, and got a lower rating than when I hadn't collected everything! I didn't quite understand what that was about lol

#2849 4 years ago

I'm liking BurgerTime Party. It's got up to 4 player co-op and some interesting modes including one where some players can opt to be an enemy character.

I didn't realize it from videos I watched before purchasing, but all players share a pool of lives in co-op mode. Letting my almost 4-year-old be player 3 has been quite the handicap, but I love that she's learning to play games.

#2850 4 years ago

Any feedback on Ring Fit Adventure? The wife brought it up that it looked "interesting" and that she'd be willing to play it but wanted some feedback if possible before I dropped the $80 on it.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/57?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.