q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 89.
#2351 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've only played SNES games on an emulator.

giphy (2).gifgiphy (2).gif
#2352 4 years ago

I've been waiting for this. SNES was the most prominent system of my childhood. I have an SN30 controller, but I haven't had luck in getting it to connect yet (any tips?).

I've seriously considered selling off most of my classic games. They can be emulated in most cases, and there's even new hardware that will allow you to play over HDMI, and with a with a single cartridge (Super NT, SD2SNES). I think I may do that just to preserve as much of the experience as possible, without having to hold onto a huge CRT and a pricey collection of games.

At the same time, even on twitchy games it's hard for me to really notice the difference when properly emulated.

#2353 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've been waiting for this. SNES was the most prominent system of my childhood. I have an SN30 controller, but I haven't had luck in getting it to connect yet (any tips?).
I've seriously considered selling off most of my classic games. They can be emulated in most cases, and there's even new hardware that will allow you to play over HDMI, and with a with a single cartridge (Super NT, SD2SNES). I think I may do that just to preserve as much of the experience as possible, without having to hold onto a huge CRT and a pricey collection of games.
At the same time, even on twitchy games it's hard for me to really notice the difference when properly emulated.

Snes, Megadrive, all the 16 bits era you can sell them for sure. The later generations Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 mostly have terrible emulations still. I made the mistake of selling these games years ago thinking that emulation would improve and I still hate myself for that.

#2354 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Snes, Megadrive, all the 16 bits era you can sell them for sure. The later generations Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 mostly have terrible emulations still. I made the mistake of selling these games years ago thinking that emulation would improve and I still hate myself for that.

Yep. Amazing how there's such trouble emulating hardware from 20 years ago.

I don't really own all that much from that era. The stuff I do, I'm not really all that attached to. Most of that 3d era stuff just doesn't hold up as well as the 8bit and 16bit stuff.

One of the things that makes me hang onto the CRT is my intellivision collection. Another big one from my childhood, but I also don't have much desire to play. It will be cool to show the kids on an occasional rainy weekend, but otherwise I don't see myself playing them. The trouble is, the controllers are pretty unique.. maybe a numpad would work, but without those sleeves some games may be tough to play.

#2355 4 years ago

Is anyone able to access the SNES yet on the Switch? I can't seem to get the games to come up.

#2356 4 years ago

Any Cadence of Hyrule fans here? Played through a lengthy 7.5 hour run haha. Definitely not a speed runner but I really enjoyed the game. I'll probably play through it again to see how fast I can just for fun but not for serious. Awesome soundtrack and addictive gameplay. Was on the fence but glad I gave it a try in the demo first, had to buy the full thing.

#2357 4 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Any Cadence of Hyrule fans here? Played through a lengthy 7.5 hour run haha. Definitely not a speed runner but I really enjoyed the game. I'll probably play through it again to see how fast I can just for fun but not for serious. Awesome soundtrack and addictive gameplay. Was on the fence but glad I gave it a try in the demo first, had to buy the full thing.

i really like it! its cool how it randomizes for added replayability. hoping for a physical release someday

#2358 4 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Is anyone able to access the SNES yet on the Switch? I can't seem to get the games to come up.

4 PM Pacific Time.

#2359 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Yep. Amazing how there's such trouble emulating hardware from 20 years ago.
I don't really own all that much from that era. The stuff I do, I'm not really all that attached to. Most of that 3d era stuff just doesn't hold up as well as the 8bit and 16bit stuff.
One of the things that makes me hang onto the CRT is my intellivision collection. Another big one from my childhood, but I also don't have much desire to play. It will be cool to show the kids on an occasional rainy weekend, but otherwise I don't see myself playing them. The trouble is, the controllers are pretty unique.. maybe a numpad would work, but without those sleeves some games may be tough to play.

There is a big trend on mini consoles following the success of the NES and the SNES Mini, the Genesis mini is coming out in a few weeks, then the Turbografx is next in February. They are all emulation based and the result is very clean, but to me the main sell point are the controllers, very close to the original at least until now.
In the jungle of retro systems, the future Polymega (https://www.polymega.com/) looks extremely promising, especially their first demo of a saturn emulator that's hardware optimized with specific controllers for each system. I'm waiting on that one, as it might be the one for all and forever.

Since you mentionned CRT, I had a meeting yesterday at a federal building in San Francisco, they've just dismantled their old surveillance system, I saw a room that was packed floor to ceiling with broadcast grade CRT screens, I tried to enquire on how to buy these but it looks like federal property goes straight to garbage, too bad there was a fortune in there and I was happy to write a check !

#2360 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

There is a big trend on mini consoles following the success of the NES and the SNES Mini, the Genesis mini is coming out in a few weeks, then the Turbografx is next in February. They are all emulation based and the result is very clean, but to me the main sell point are the controllers, very close to the original at least until now.
In the jungle of retro systems, the future Polymega (https://www.polymega.com/) looks extremely promising, especially their first demo of a saturn emulator that's hardware optimized with specific controllers for each system. I'm waiting on that one, as it might be the one for all and forever.
Since you mentionned CRT, I had a meeting yesterday at a federal building in San Francisco, they've just dismantled their old surveillance system, I saw a room that was packed floor to ceiling with broadcast grade CRT screens, I tried to enquire on how to buy these but it looks like federal property goes straight to garbage, too bad there was a fortune in there and I was happy to write a check !

nooo save all those PVMs! I have two for my retro gaming. i stream off a Sony PVM20M2U and its glorious to play SNES in true RGB!

#2361 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

nooo save all those PVMs! I have two for my retro gaming. i stream off a Sony PVM20M2U and its glorious to play SNES in true RGB!

I know ! It's such a pity I could have cried !

I'm keeping an eye on this gov auction site in case they show up, you'll never know
https://gsaauctions.gov

#2362 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

n the jungle of retro systems, the future Polymega (https://www.polymega.com/) looks extremely promising, especially their first demo of a saturn emulator that's hardware optimized with specific controllers for each system. I'm waiting on that one, as it might be the one for all and forever.

One of the Polymega dudes is a friend, and brought the system over so me and my purist picky AF friends could throw our games at it and try whatever we wanted. I was very impressed, especially with performance of Saturn games. I have a Japanese shooter, Soukyugurentai, that doesn’t even run well on a region modded US Saturn (lots of visual glitches) - it runs perfectly on Polymega! I’m gonna check out a newer version soon ...can’t wait to see what’s been tweaked!

#2363 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One of the Polymega dudes is a friend, and brought the system over so me and my purist picky AF friends could throw our games at it and try whatever we wanted. I was very impressed, especially with performance of Saturn games. I have a Japanese shooter, Soukyugurentai, that doesn’t even run well on a region modded US Saturn (lots of visual glitches) - it runs perfectly on Polymega! I’m gonna check out a newer version soon ...can’t wait to see what’s been tweaked!

I went back to their page, they now have a light gun that works on lcd screens, this just changed my life ! I'm definitely in now, you can tell your friend !

#2364 4 years ago

Anyone have a recommendation for a game that’s comparable to Super Mario Oddysey? I have 4 and 5 year old boys and they love watching me play, but we’ve almost exhausted Mario. Zelda is a bit heavy for them, hoping to find another light hearted game.

#2365 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Anyone have a recommendation for a game that’s comparable to Super Mario Oddysey? I have 4 and 5 year old boys and they love watching me play, but we’ve almost exhausted Mario. Zelda is a bit heavy for them, hoping to find another light hearted game.

Check out Spyro trilogy, it's fun to play and to watch, surely not close to Mario Odyssey's perfection, but the bar was set too high anyways.

#2366 4 years ago

Yeah I know. I had a Genesis at the time, so I've played a ton of Genesis games. After that, it was Playstation and so on until I could get a computer good enough to run emulation through my college years. That was the only feasible way for me to play any of the SNES games. For me, it did a plenty fine job and I got to experience all the goodness (and then some) that the SNES had to offer.

#2367 4 years ago

Don't forget your free switch online account for 12 months if you have Amazon Prime.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/nintendo

#2368 4 years ago

I was really jacked about this. I got into it, and didn't feel like starting anything since I have a save state of anything I'd want to play on another device, or the actual console.

I need to figure out where I'm playing classic games, and commit..

#2369 4 years ago

This game is really cool - hack and slash pinball!

https://www.creatureinthewell.com/

#2370 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

That looks cool thanks for sharing

#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Looks really awesome! Someone called it a "Pinbrawler." gonna have to check it out!

#2372 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Yuka Laylee is pretty good IMO. Not as good as Mario but a collectathon kind of game.

#2373 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

It's not really the same thing, but you/they might like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's a fun and beautiful platformer, very hard in places but the Switch version has various options that make it easier if you want to use them.

#2374 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Why bother emulating any of them when it's easier to either hack the native system (as with Saturn), burn CD-R's (with Dreamcast), or put custom firmware on a PS3 (for PS2 games)? Keep using the original controller and peripherals. If for some reason emulation is a must since I guess some of the stuff is cleaned up/upscaled through that, then a decent computer within the past few years seems to run most of those games as well.

The Switch supports Dreamcast and Gamecube emulation too. From what I've tried on it, the games work ok, but I'm not extremely picky about emulators that are still early in their development.

#2375 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

It's not really the same thing, but you/they might like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It's a fun and beautiful platformer, very hard in places but the Switch version has various options that make it easier if you want to use them.

The new Bubsy (cat mascot character from back in the 16-bit era) game might be something they could play. I'm not sure what game originated it, but it's the type of game where the character is always moving across the screen automatically and you have to time the character's jumps, double jumps, or whatever other tricks available to get through a level, ideally picking up all of the objects and power-ups along the way. He's a snarky character that's kinda funny but not dirty humor or anything like that.

#2376 4 years ago

holy smokes I just got my copies of The Messenger in from Special Reserve Games. They out did themselves with the packaging! I got a couple of the Limited Run variants as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2RhcteHodg/

#2377 4 years ago

Anybody download Fuze yet? It's a program that lets you make games with a modern BASIC programming language.

I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It has tons of built in sprites and audio you can use, as well as the ability to create your own. You can share you programs with your friends online.

1 week later
#2378 4 years ago

I just want to say that Moonlighter is a fantastic game and y'all should check it out.

#2379 4 years ago

Link's Awakening comes out tomorrow for the Switch - anyone else excited about that?

#2380 4 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Link's Awakening comes out tomorrow for the Switch - anyone else excited about that?

oh yeah, have the US dreamers edition preordered as well as the EU collectors edition!

#2381 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

oh yeah, have the US dreamers edition preordered as well as the EU collectors edition!

same here. bummer that we didn't get the sweet gameboy steel book here in the states

#2382 4 years ago

I have mine coming from BB with the discount but won't arrive until the 25th. I might go buy it in store and return the delivered one if I get bored this weekend.

#2383 4 years ago

Any one else playing Links Awakening, I only played an hour or so and sadly the frame rate is pretty unstable and the vignette blur is very weird. On a big screen it's kinda disorientating, it doesn't follow the rules of motion blur. Two areas that look the same distance away and one is super out of focus. In hand held mode its not as bad. I'm pretty disappointing because the graphic style looks amazing on my 65" but the blur gives me a headache. I'm hoping I'll get used to and learn to just focus on the middle of the screen. It looks so cool you can't help but look around though. I wish you could turn it off but the frame rate is already bad and I suspect the blur is to try and hide that.

#2384 4 years ago

Just so you guys know what I mean by vignette in this screen shot see how everything get more out of focus the farther you get from the center of the screen. When you running around and looking around everything goes out and in to focus as it gets closer and its weird. Also it gets more out of focus up and down than left and right so that also hurts the brain. See how the chicken is in focus on the left and the fox above is not, yet the chicken is twice as far away.
TLoZLA_ss_01 (resized).jpgTLoZLA_ss_01 (resized).jpg

#2385 4 years ago

thats a bummer, thanks for the feedback on it! wont get to play til after work

#2386 4 years ago

Yeah I didn't get to play very long just running around a little, hopefully its not as bad in the dungeons. Also playing in handheld with the small screen and seems fine.

#2387 4 years ago

If you read the reviews from the major sites that have had it for the past 7 days, this is one of the compromises of no loading delays like the original. You will get the frame rate drop as you go into newer areas especially when it's rapid. I heave read that it is definitely noticeable but that you do get used to it.

#2388 4 years ago

Good lord I can't remember a fall season this packed in quite sometime. Just finished up Hellblade (awesome btw, highly recommend), preordered No Ni Kuni this week, picking up Astral Chain tonight, Dragon Quest IX, Ghostbusters remastered on the 4th of Oct. Not to mention The Sinking City and Call of Cthulhu on the radar...

Also for those looking to pick up Links Awakening today, Walmart has it listed for $49.98. Use brickseek to check stock.

#2389 4 years ago

I just played Links awakening for a few hours last night. Didn’t have unplayable frame rate issue, only time I really noticed it (handheld) was with the lake/swamp and the moving water. Loving the game!!! I never played the original so this is awesome

#2390 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Anybody download Fuze yet? It's a program that lets you make games with a modern BASIC programming language.
I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It has tons of built in sprites and audio you can use, as well as the ability to create your own. You can share you programs with your friends online.

No, how is it? Have you tried?

#2391 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I just played Links awakening for a few hours last night. Didn’t have unplayable frame rate issue, only time I really noticed it (handheld) was with the lake/swamp and the moving water. Loving the game!!! I never played the original so this is awesome

The framerate doesn't take away from the playability, its such a simple game more of a puzzler than an action game. Its just so disappointing to see it jugging as you move around the map or go in and out of anything. Its a major release from Nintendo and there is no excuse for a gameboy game to have a shit framerate on Switch. It just an issue of polish, and it is disappointing. I don't think anyone that doesn't consider themselves a gamer would even notice.

#2392 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

No, how is it? Have you tried?

I bought it. Just messed around with it briefly. Trying to get my son into messing around with code. Looks incredible to the right programmer. There is a sample game in there that really rocks.

#2393 4 years ago

Today is Nintendo's 130th birthday!

#2394 4 years ago

Bought the adult size joy cons.

Liking them very much so far.
Though I hear they don’t have motion sensors so if that’s your bag these ain’t for you.

E651B79C-E812-4A16-B293-4E36E67C709C (resized).pngE651B79C-E812-4A16-B293-4E36E67C709C (resized).png
#2395 4 years ago

Love links awakening so far , no issues with it, the blur doesn’t bother me, never noticed it

#2396 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Bought the adult size joy cons.
Liking them very much so far.
Though I hear they don’t have motion sensors so if that’s your bag these ain’t for you.[quoted image]

The system itself has motion, so if you’re playing in handheld & a game has motion, you can still do it. They won’t have motion if you’re playing tabletop or docked with these things.

#2397 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The system itself has motion

Really?

#2398 4 years ago

just want to give one more shout out to the game Moonlighter... such a fun experience.

its a gaming loop of going out questing and getting items at night and then during day you open up your store to sell the loot. upgrade your town, store and gear and go back to questing. both segments are pretty short so great for grab and go gaming but engaging enough to get stuck in that loop for awhile and realize youve been playing for like an hour or two hah.

#2399 4 years ago

Yup. I didn’t realize this until Labo showed off the functionality. If you go to the options for motion calibration, you can calibrate the system or the Joy-Cons.

#2400 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

brings back memories
LA dx guide (resized).jpgLA dx guide (resized).jpg

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/48?hl=breger1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.