1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2,161 posts
  • 174 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Arcadefan
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 133 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190418_075203 (resized).jpg
Bye.gif
dims (resized).jpg
Cadence-Hyrule_03-20-19 (resized).jpg
20190212_171042 (resized).jpg
AEE21181-F1C7-4C78-9494-28A7C5210803 (resized).jpeg
460290E9-0AE0-4D9A-A71D-EA2732D47596 (resized).jpeg
E400C519-0CDA-4BE3-9D12-F8C2864D0F03 (resized).jpeg
file-22 (resized).png
file-12 (resized).png
20190117_172936 (resized).jpg
20190117_172931 (resized).jpg
AED82A2F-74C1-4DDA-891E-173CF22860D7.jpeg
20181210_144036 (resized).jpg
20181209_134701 (resized).jpg
249BDEA3-02D9-4028-91AE-FECE22818A87.jpeg

There are 2161 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 44.
#2101 25 days ago

I've been playing video games since I was very young starting with my parents Atari 5200. Saved up my own money and bought my own personal Nintendo so I wouldn't have to share it with my two younger brothers lol. My backstory is there to state that I am a pretty experienced console and computer gaming veteran.

However.... somehow playing BOTW makes me feel like an idiot gaming newb. I'm not much for using guides or walkthroughs but I feel that there is little or no guidance as to how to proceed at the beginning of the game. Open world concept is great but there should be some clear enough progression markers to get you going.

I just finished GOW and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 and I'm a huge fan of how they handled guiding you along in the large open worlds. Hell I even used to play WOW and that did well moving you along.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. I'm a huge Zelda fan since the first iteration but I'm having a hard time connecting with this one.

#2102 25 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've been playing video games since I was very young starting with my parents Atari 5200. Saved up my own money and bought my own personal Nintendo so I wouldn't have to share it with my two younger brothers lol. My backstory is there to state that I am a pretty experienced console and computer gaming veteran.
However.... somehow playing BOTW makes me feel like an idiot gaming newb. I'm not much for using guides or walkthroughs but I feel that there is little or no guidance as to how to proceed at the beginning of the game. Open world concept is great but there should be some clear enough progression markers to get you going.
I just finished GOW and Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 and I'm a huge fan of how they handled guiding you along in the large open worlds. Hell I even used to play WOW and that did well moving you along.
Anyway, just wanted to vent. I'm a huge Zelda fan since the first iteration but I'm having a hard time connecting with this one.

You’re not alone. I never got off the plateau....

#2103 25 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Hmm... maybe I got lucky and spoke to the right NPCs. I wouldn't have tolerated not knowing what to do and felt like I had a pretty good focus on what was needed. I pretty quickly got the main quests for taking down the 4 Divine Beasts and everything else seemed to branch out from there pretty intuitively for me. I got to the last boss. Didn't beat it, but I got there.

#2104 25 days ago

I loved the way it started. I hate having to do the tutorials at the start of games, I just wanna play!

#2105 25 days ago

The opening of BOTW is old school, you explore and learn. I can not stand the tutorial in every game these days that spoon feeds you like a toddler.

#2106 25 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I thought it was really ballsy of Nintendo to go against open worlds standards and make a real open game without the usual flashing dots on the map that makes it pseudo open.

And I expected it wouldn’t suit everyone, starting with me actually, I shelved the game many times before getting into it because I often lack the patience to explore but after a few hours going around without purpose things actually start coming together. I would recommend to get a kick start from a guide botw is really to good to give up.

#2107 25 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Those games that tutorial for hours and hold your hand bore the shit out of me. I haven’t played more than a few hours of Horizon cuz it’s just tutorials and talking. BOTW throws you right into gameplay and exploration and it’s exhilarating and artful. I was really skeptical of it at first but it’s become my favorite Zelda ever. 200 hrs into it!!! I’m playing GTA V right now - and because I’m just following preset points on the map, I don’t really know the world. I’m just looking at the map and following where I need to go. With BOTW, you really get to know the world, landmarks and locations. It’s pretty amazing. Stick with it, it’s such an amazingly satisfying & beautiful game.

#2108 25 days ago

I need my hand held too. BOTW was a great start, but I lost interest and don't have the time to invest. I can't spend so much time making food over a campfire to make potions and crap.
Twilight Princess remains my favorite along with Ocarina of Time.

#2109 25 days ago

When I read of folks with 200+ hours in on this game, I know it is not for me. That's like five 40 hour work weeks! I love gaming, but that is too much of my life!

#2110 25 days ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

When I read of folks with 200+ hours in on this game, I know it is not for me. That's like five 40 hour work weeks! I love gaming, but that is too much of my life!

Could not agree more. I like a good 20-30 hours.

#2111 25 days ago

I have 4 hearts and everything is one shotting me. I don't even really know how to make the weapons stronger or my strength or whatever. I dont even know what the numbers mean by my weapons and armor. Durability I guess. Which brings me to another little irritation, consumability. I don't mind repairing but finding new shit all the time is annoying. I haven't cooked or eaten one item yet, since everything one shots me I pretty much just kite them around trying to blow them up with my bombs.

I'm not looking to be hand held but there is probably a nice middle ground.

I'm doing the elephant now but the stupid water ganon one shots me as soon as I get to the pedestals. The one way I make it there is hiding behind the altar and popping out to hit him with one arrow at a time.

#2112 25 days ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I’ve always hated super long games.
They feel padded. I’d rather have a tightly designed 5 hour game than a 40 hour one. So, BOTW is that special to rope me in the way it did. I hope you guys don’t give up on it. I found every second of it to be absolutely magical.

...also the thing about BOTW is it’s only a long as you want it to be. You can go to Hyrule Castle at any time....I just wanted to keep exploring and discoving and meeting more people, doing more quests, and finding all the shrines.

#2113 25 days ago

I like longer games as long as they have a good story like Mass Effect, Witcher 3, etc. I have a hard time when there's no compelling reason to finish the game from a narrative perspective. I have to really like the combat to continue without a good story, Divinity 1 and 2 are probably the ones that first come to mind as games with no compelling story but the combat is so good you can overlook it.

#2114 25 days ago

Too much story just makes me feel like I’m doing filler between a movie. Bores me. BOTW has just story where the memories and cutscenes feel like a treat, rather than movie slog. I’ve been anti movie-wannabe games since Metal gear Solid 2. That game drove me back to Nintendo lol.

Ive been trying with my PS4. Finished Spider-Ma last year. Hadn’t touched it since then, been playing GTA V this week. It’s kinda cool, but also kinda too hand-holdy and story stuffed....I loved GTA3 tho, so it’s holding onto me with nostalgia at least. It makes me wanna play BOTW again lol

#2115 24 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hadn’t touched it since then, been playing GTA V this week. It’s kinda cool, but also kinda too hand-holdy and story stuffed....I loved GTA3 tho, so it’s holding onto me with nostalgia at least. It makes me wanna play BOTW again lol

Keep playing GTA V, I loved finishing that one. I actually like being told where to go, and what to do (in video games at least). I love the ending, because you have a choice.....and Trevor always cracked me up. Crazy Son of a Bitch

#2116 24 days ago
Quoted from cleland:

Keep playing GTA V, I loved finishing that one. I actually like being told where to go, and what to do (in video games at least). I love the ending, because you have a choice.....and Trevor always cracked me up. Crazy Son of a Bitch

I couldn't make it through GTA V, got too bored with the driving between missions. It's literally commuting. I kept falling asleep playing it, drive back to change clothes or drive to the other side of town for something, it's like 10 to 15 minutes sometimes. I kept passing out, lol.

I made it through Red Dead 2 but it very close to the same thing, way too much time riding for no apparent reason between missions.

#2117 24 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Too much story just makes me feel like I’m doing filler between a movie. Bores me. BOTW has just story where the memories and cutscenes feel like a treat, rather than movie slog. I’ve been anti movie-wannabe games since Metal gear Solid 2. That game drove me back to Nintendo lol.
Ive been trying with my PS4. Finished Spider-Ma last year. Hadn’t touched it since then, been playing GTA V this week. It’s kinda cool, but also kinda too hand-holdy and story stuffed....I loved GTA3 tho, so it’s holding onto me with nostalgia at least. It makes me wanna play BOTW again lol

MGS2 is like the height of the too much movie thing in video games, I remember that game, FF-X, Xenosaga, etc had way too many cutscenes. Xenosaga especially, it had like a 45 minute unskipable scene. As long as they're skipable, there aren't too many issues with them for me.

I'm not sure I would consider BOTW having any story compared to modern games. It's like 1992ish level of story. I do have to give them credit though, they did add in some voices to the games instead of just text boxes for once. But that's Nintendo's deal, just make the same game with gameplay improvements over and over, and people love it. Kind of like Disney, if you go Disney World without any nostalgia, you scratch your head and wonder why everyone is crazy about this place...poor food service, ridiculous lines, super high prices, etc. But all the parents remember it from their childhood and love it despite that. I didn't go to Disney when I was a kid so it all seems weird to me, they get a pass on things that nobody else would. Nintendo gets the same pass on things that nobody else would be able to get away with.

Spiderman was a really good game. I think the new God of War was slightly better, which surprised me considering how much I liked Spiderman.

#2118 24 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

MGS2 is like the height of the too much movie thing in video games, I remember that game, FF-X, Xenosaga, etc had way too many cutscenes. Xenosaga especially, it had like a 45 minute unskipable scene. As long as they're skipable, there aren't too many issues with them for me.
I'm not sure I would consider BOTW having any story compared to modern games. It's like 1992ish level of story. I do have to give them credit though, they did add in some voices to the games instead of just text boxes for once. But that's Nintendo's deal, just make the same game with gameplay improvements over and over, and people love it. Kind of like Disney, if you go Disney World without any nostalgia, you scratch your head and wonder why everyone is crazy about this place...poor food service, ridiculous lines, super high prices, etc. But all the parents remember it from their childhood and love it despite that. I didn't go to Disney when I was a kid so it all seems weird to me, they get a pass on things that nobody else would. Nintendo gets the same pass on things that nobody else would be able to get away with.
Spiderman was a really good game. I think the new God of War was slightly better, which surprised me considering how much I liked Spiderman.

If you think MGS 2 had too many videos don’t play MGS 4 ! There litterally was a cutscene that lasted 45 minutes and that was one of many endless talks.

Luckily MGS 5 was way shorter on them and it was actually something critics didn’t like about it. Go figure !

#2119 24 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure I would consider BOTW having any story compared to modern games. It's like 1992ish level of story. I do have to give them credit though, they did add in some voices to the games instead of just text boxes for once. But that's Nintendo's deal, just make the same game with gameplay improvements over and over, and people love it.

I think BOTW is massively different in almost every respect for Nintendo...the gameplay, physics, AI, animation, voicework...but - yes, the story is still very simple, mostly due to Link not speaking - but that's a Nintendo's game theory that I love. They don't want their main characters to have much dialog, if any...they want the player to impart themselves on the main character. When I play GTA V, Michael is Michael, Franklin is Franklin, Trevor is Trevor...but when I play Zelda, Link is me. I feel so much more connected to the game than I do with the typical type of character writing in other games. I hope the next Metroid is similar...I like that I am Samus, and not listening to a disconnected character rambling about whatever.

#2120 24 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

If you think MGS 2 had too many videos don’t play MGS 4 ! There litterally was a cutscene that lasted 45 minutes and that was one of many endless talks.

I very much loved MSG4, but those cutscenes were super long! I would think I was coming to a stopping point, and then BAM, nope, gotta wait forever for this cutscene that can't be paused. The game was so much shorter on my 2nd playthrough skipping those.

#2121 24 days ago

I didn't play MGS4, sounds like I didn't miss much. I did play a decent amount of MGS5 but it was super weird with the cutscenes. Frankly I have no idea what is even going on half the time in those games with the story, it's pretty bad, lol.

#2122 24 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I didn't play MGS4, sounds like I didn't miss much. I did play a decent amount of MGS5 but it was super weird with the cutscenes. Frankly I have no idea what is even going on half the time in those games with the story, it's pretty bad, lol.

No you actually missed a lot not playing MGS4. Yes some cutscenes are outrageously long BUT the intro is Epic, the gameplay is IMO far more demanding on stealth than MGS5, and the ending is in my top 3 favorite in history, one that left traces long after I was done with the game.

Edit : I almost forgot to mention the soundtrack, a musical masterpiece of its own !

#2123 24 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

No you actually missed a lot not playing MGS4. Yes some cutscenes are outrageously long BUT the intro is Epic, the gameplay is IMO far more demanding on stealth than MGS5, and the ending is in my top 3 favorite in history, one that left traces long after I was done with the game.
Edit : I almost forgot to mention the soundtrack, a musical masterpiece of its own !

If it's like the other MGS games, there's probably some super weird crap that makes absolutely no sense going on in those cutscenes, lol. I can't even remember the ones in 5, they were kind of awful unless you really like weird stuff. I did like the gameplay in 5 though, I thought it was the best of the MGS games I've played.

#2124 24 days ago
Quoted from taylor34:

If it's like the other MGS games, there's probably some super weird crap that makes absolutely no sense going on in those cutscenes, lol. I can't even remember the ones in 5, they were kind of awful unless you really like weird stuff. I did like the gameplay in 5 though, I thought it was the best of the MGS games I've played.

Ha ! I could do like the video game elite and pretend I’m uber smart and connected the dots through 20 years of MGS. But the truth is 20 years later I still have no idea about who is who and what exactly is the story, I’m not even sure that Kojima knows much about it either but watching that non sense while trying to get it is surprisingly entertaining !

#2125 24 days ago
Quoted from adol75:

Ha ! I could do like the video game elite and pretend I’m uber smart and connected the dots through 20 years of MGS. But the truth is 20 years later I still have no idea about who is who and what exactly is the story, I’m not even sure that Kojima knows much about it either but watching that non sense while trying to get it is surprisingly entertaining !

Kojima's like the David Lynch of video games lol

#2126 21 days ago

I am looking to sell some of my RPG's that I just don't have time for. All in excellent condition.

Final Fantasy X + X2 <--- Asian release, so BOTH games are on the cart, not just X like the US version. There is no download needed to play X-2. Everything is in English, including the packaging.
$50

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
$40

Battlechasers Nightwar
$20

All three for $100 plus shipping. US only please.

#2127 21 days ago

Has anyone been playing the new Pokemon games? Are they good? Have not played one since the originals (red/blue) for Gameboy but thought it could be fun.

#2128 21 days ago

Pokemon Let's Go is a remake of the original 1st gen games I believe. So if you enjoyed those it might be fun to revisit. The mechanics for catching Pokemon uses motion controls instead of battling, but I actually find it kind of fun. I have enjoyed what I have played so far of it.

#2129 21 days ago

I think all these games in these newer systems suck. Red Dead, GTA 5, and so on, too many video cut scenes and wasted time commuting everywhere. It’s stupid as shit. I’ve lost all interest in wasting anymore time in these games. My son plays Fortnite continuously and that game frickin bugs the shit out of me too. I’d much rather play pinball or play my guitar when I have spare time anymore. Sorry all you hardcore gamers, original PS, Xbox, and Xbox360 were the best consoles and games that I enjoy.

#2130 20 days ago

Man Switch is just going port crazy these days. Are they trying to break some kind of record with the most Final Fantasy and Resident Evil ports in the shortest time frame.

#2131 20 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Man Switch is just going port crazy these days. Are they trying to break some kind of record with the most Final Fantasy and Resident Evil ports in the shortest time frame.

I'm tempted to get FF XII. My roommates and I played that game in shifts in college to beat it quickly, I think our PS2 was running for like a week straight.

#2132 20 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm tempted to get FF XII. My roommates and I played that game in shifts in college to beat it quickly, I think our PS2 was running for like a week straight.

Yeah me too. I quickly shelved it on ps2 I was totally against any changes on the traditional battle system.

But for whatever reasons (probably not having much to play) I’m drawn to giving it another chance.

#2133 14 days ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

I think all these games in these newer systems suck. Red Dead, GTA 5, and so on, too many video cut scenes and wasted time commuting everywhere. It’s stupid as shit. I’ve lost all interest in wasting anymore time in these games. My son plays Fortnite continuously and that game frickin bugs the shit out of me too. I’d much rather play pinball or play my guitar when I have spare time anymore. Sorry all you hardcore gamers, original PS, Xbox, and Xbox360 were the best consoles and games that I enjoy.

Thanks for adding to the thread. Great insight.

#2134 14 days ago

Have a handful of games I'm done with if anyone here is interested in them before I throw them up on eBay or something.

All are like new in original packaging except Fire Emblem. It has a Game Stop printed label, so no original art on that box. Prices are all shipped is US.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - $40

Octopath Traveler - $40

Dragon Quest Builders - $40

Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Collection - $25

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - $30 (will come with a second case with alternate art as well)

Fire Emblem Warriors - $40

Super Bomberman R - $30

Has-Been Heroes - $12

Thanks!

#2135 8 days ago

Mario Maker 2 looking awesome!

#2137 7 days ago

this could be a fun one..

#2139 7 days ago

I'm kind of interested in Link's Awakening, but how many times do I have to buy the same game? I played it on the original Gameboy and repurchased on GBC.

With all the effort put into remaking this in the new engine, couldn't they have just made it a new game in the same style?

I say this in spite of enjoying my re-purchased Dark Souls Remastered... ugh.

#2140 7 days ago

Not true worldwide, of course, but fascinating that the Switch has outsold the PS4 in Japan with 3.5 less years on the market.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/05/nintendo_switch_overtakes_ps4s_lifetime_sales_in_japan2

#2141 7 days ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Looks cool. Reminds me a lot of ALTTP which I played through a bunch of times. As recently as about a year ago. Speaking of remakes.......

#2142 7 days ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Looks cool. Reminds me a lot of ALTTP which I played through a bunch of times. As recently as about a year ago. Speaking of remakes.......

just beat ALttP on my twitch stream last monday do yourself a favor and play A Link Between Worlds on 3ds! It is a new game in the vain of ALttP in the same general overworld map, It is fantastic! i lend out my 3ds and that game to all my friends who havent gotten a chance to play it and theyve all loved it so far

#2143 7 days ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

I have been playing through the original lately on my Gameboy and I have to say I am very impressed with the size of this game for a Gameboy game. It is huge and also, really, really good. Can't wait to play the remake.

#2144 7 days ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm kind of interested in Link's Awakening, but how many times do I have to buy the same game? I played it on the original Gameboy and repurchased on GBC.

Always keep in mind, we're old AF. Imagine the 10 year old who just got a Switch. They've never seen a Gameboy. Great games are forever, so updating them for the younger audience that missed them originally is a great idea.

#2145 7 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Always keep in mind, we're old AF. Imagine the 10 year old who just got a Switch. They've never seen a Gameboy. Great games are forever, so updating them for the younger audience that missed them originally is a great idea.

I am 39 and I am playing it for the first time. There are a few of us out there that didn't own a GB until we were adults Now I have a whole herd of them.

#2146 7 days ago

It's cool that they are porting and remaking everything but the ratio is pretty tough to swallow. I just focus on new content and very very rarely will play a game a second time. Now they are remaking remakes. To be fair this version of Links Awakening looks pretty killer so they might get me again. I wonder how many systems it was playable on already, probably a handful.

#2147 7 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's cool that they are porting and remaking everything but the ratio is pretty tough to swallow. I just focus on new content and very very rarely will play a game a second time. Now they are remaking remakes. To be fair this version of Links Awakening looks pretty killer so they might get me again. I wonder how many systems it was playable on already, probably a handful.

They made two OG versions, the regular and DX for the GB color. Beyond that it has only been released on virtual console to my knowledge.

#2148 7 days ago
Quoted from Gov:

They made two OG versions, the regular and DX for the GB color. Beyond that it has only been released on virtual console to my knowledge.

Probably GB, GBC, DS, 3DS, Wii, Switch, did the WiiU get virtual console I skipped that one. You could even play it on gamecube.

#2149 7 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Probably GB, GBC, DS, 3DS, Wii, Switch, did the WiiU get virtual console I skipped that one. You could even play it on gamecube.

I thought you were talking about new versions, not just VC versions. The Switch version is the first 'new' version since DX.

#2150 5 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There are a crap load of original titles too though. Good stuff too. Go search for Nintendo Dads podcast or Nintendo Voice chat. Both weekly shows that are awesome at pointing out the lesser known independents.

If you haven’t tried Yokus Island Express then go do so now. It’s a pinball/platformer. It doesn’t sound like it should work, but it’s awesome. Then anything by Way Forward (Shantae series). If you like 2d Metroid then pick up Mummy Demastered. And then steamworld dig 1 and 2. And then monster boy and the cursed kingdom and also wonder oy and dragons trap.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 2161 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 44.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside