q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 89.
#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's nice to be able to resell a physical copy once you're done playing it, if you're not the collector type that keeps every game you buy.

Yea I get it, when I was 20 that was cool. I have kids now though so maybe it’s different? It’s Fun for us revisit old games. Hell, my son still asks to fire up the wiiu once in a blue moon.

#2052 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Who gets phsyical copies anymore? Turn on tv/console, pick game, play. No cartridge hassles, no container mismatches; easy peezy plug n play.

I only buy physical. I tend to stick with one game for a while so it's really no hassle to change the carts. And I don't have to worry about Nintendo shutting down my digital purchases in the future when they move onto the next console or digital service. I guess that's the way I'll always be. If I buy something I want to be able to hold it in my hand.

#2053 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Who gets phsyical copies anymore? Turn on tv/console, pick game, play. No cartridge hassles, no container mismatches; easy peezy plug n play.

Lots of people.

#2054 5 years ago

I'm physical only as well but that might be tested if Cadence of Hyrule doesn't get a physical release...

#2055 5 years ago

I usually give the physical copies away when done playing them.
Sometimes they come back sometimes they don’t.

I’m super stoked for cuphead. Have some long airplane trips in May and that will be perfect

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I go back and forth. I generally buy physical if it's a full price $60 game. Part of it is "I'm paying this much, I want a real thing"....part of it is the ability to sell the game down the road if I don't like it. I hated Crash Trilogy & Rocket League...so I'm glad I got those physically so I could sell them. I've buckled a few times on this...Mario Odyssey & Smash Bros. Partially cuz I wanted to play them immediately at 9pm the nite before release day...and partially cuz I've NEVER sold a Mario game ever...so having it attached to my system seemed fine.

Digital is a no brainer when a game is around $15 or less...lots of great games are on sale for just a few bucks. I don't care about reselling them if I get them so cheap.

Now with Cuphead...seems like a game that I'd never want to get rid of due to the amazing animation....but also I've been WISHING it on Switch since I saw it...so the dumb part of me kinda wants to hold the real game in my hand lol....

....I dunno, I'll probably just end up downloading it.

#2057 5 years ago

I buy only physical because I own more than one Switch. If you have them physical it is an easy swap but not so much with the download versions. The market can only be on one Switch, so to play a game on the other Switch you need to change the Market to the other Switch, losing al of the downloaded games. Welcome to "easy".

Stupid but true. At least it was like that a year ago. Since then I only bought physical.

#2058 5 years ago

Finished up the Blaster gun tonight in the VR starter kit. Got some game time in with the Aliens in the city game. Pretty fun! Better than I was expecting. There was one boss that reminded me of the giant floating creatures in the first Avengers movie. Of course, it was a Nintendo version of it, but similar in how it glided. Very cool boss battle. My 6-year old is going to have his mind blown when he gets to play this tomorrow!

#2060 5 years ago

hyper crazy ninja gaiden! looks cool

#2061 5 years ago

Hell yea it does. Rated M....looks like it’s just for blood; as long as no profanity or perverse gore, should be ok for me and my son

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you are "buying" digital - you actually aren't buying anything. You are at the whim of nintendo or whoever keeping servers available. Digital only games is a bad idea IMO. The "complete" game should be on a memory card or a disk or a cart. Personally I believe it should be a card. Any DLC we buy should be able to download to a memory card and move to another console with zero issues by simply moving the card.

The other option is games are a quarter of the price for a digital vs physical copy or you move to a complete rental model.

Digital games are giving buyers the impression they own something when in fact they don't.

It also leads to really lazy game development "let's just send out a day one 2 GB patch with the actual game". oy!

#2063 5 years ago

Pumped to play cup head finally.

And my tetris 99 gold coins got me a decent discount

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

If you are "buying" digital - you actually aren't buying anything. You are at the whim of nintendo or whoever keeping servers available.

Always one of "those guys".

Look, I generally agree with you in theory, but the fact is - every disc or cart game now has significant patches & updates that need to be downloaded. They're not on the cart. So, if the worry is "oh no, I won't be able to play this in 20 years cuz servers!", the whole game isn't on that cart or disc anyway.

Everything gets archived, everything gets hacked. If for some reason my digital Cuphead on my Switch's microSD card doesn't work in 20 years, I'm sure my Switch will be hacked by then and I can just download the "rom". No biggie.

Game collectors need to realize that life itself is temporary...their games will outlive them. Just enjoy playing them now & have fun.

Anyway - I bought Cuphead DIGITAL today and am loving it.

#2065 5 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Pumped to play cup head finally.
And my tetris 99 gold coins got me a decent discount

Whoa, are you a mega expert? How many 1sts did you get?

I've been getting more lately than usual, but I just assumed that's because the mega experts got bored.

#2066 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Always one of "those guys".
Look, I generally agree with you in theory, but the fact is - every disc or cart game now has significant patches & updates that need to be downloaded. They're not on the cart. So, if the worry is "oh no, I won't be able to play this in 20 years cuz servers!", the whole game isn't on that cart or disc anyway.
Everything gets archived, everything gets hacked. If for some reason my digital Cuphead on my Switch's microSD card doesn't work in 20 years, I'm sure my Switch will be hacked by then and I can just download the "rom". No biggie.
Game collectors need to realize that life itself is temporary...their games will outlive them. Just enjoy playing them now & have fun.
Anyway - I bought Cuphead DIGITAL today and am loving it.

"one of those guys" lol. You must be a "yungin". I'm not adverse to digital - as I said if cost is reflected. Not sure why you want to pay full price for something that's vaporware though. Kind of naive on your part or you're part of the generation that will never own anything. Easy to throw insults.

And yes, games now a days need a zero day patch or download.......but why......and further if so, with the cost of storage (memory cards) and the magic of technology, you should be able to download it to the physical card you bought the game on. Its the fact that you've been convinced you should just accept this is the problem. I get the convenience of digital......so ask yourself why does it have to be one or the other. If you're paying 80 bones for a game, you should get the physical game with capability to download DLC patches onto it AND then upload it to your system so you don't need the cart.

I guess you also live in a big city where broadband is fast and cheap (me too), but hey, there are still alot of people in North America that don't have that.

The point is - ask more of Nintendo, Sony, MS, and game dev's. Ask them to charge less, or actually sell us a complete product.

#2067 5 years ago

If you are "buying" digital - you actually aren't buying anything. You are at the whim of nintendo or whoever keeping servers available. Digital only games is a bad idea IMO. The "complete" game should be on a memory card or a disk or a disk. Personally I believe it should be a card. Any DLC we should be able to download to a memory card and move to another console with zero issues.
The other option is games are a quarter of the price for a digital vs physical copy or you move to a complete rental model.
Digital games are giving buyers the impression they own something when in fact they don't.
It also leads to really lazy game development "let's just send out a day one 2 GB patch with the actual game". oy!

I was kind of being sarcastic yet true at the same time with my comment. When you have small kids, physical games are a pain in the ass. Same with movies. But digital games on switch are downloaded onto the system and/or memory card, it’s not cloud based like iTunes so it can still be played locally. And i use iTunes too but I can download our cloud purchases onto any of our devices for road trips or local use.

#2068 5 years ago

"one of those guys" lol. You must be a "yungin".

I'm 42...but whenever I see a post about any digital release game on the internet, I always see SOMEONE who's gotta chime in "YOU'RE JUST RENTING IT!". It's like whenever there's a retro game discussion and someone has to chime in with "RASPBERRY PI". We get it. Don't buy digital games. You do you.

Not sure why you want to pay full price for something that's vaporware though.

I paid for a game, and I received a game. That's not vaporware. Vaporware is a product that never gets released, like a Jpop game, Big Lebowski, or Deep Root. As an old wise man, I can teach you this.

I get the convenience of digital......so ask yourself why does it have to be one or the other. If you're paying 80 bones for a game, you should get the physical game with capability to download DLC patches onto it AND then upload it to your system so you don't need the cart.

That's a "piracy" issue. They don't want you to buy a cart/disc and then give it to all your friends for free.

The point is - ask more of Nintendo, Sony, MS, and game dev's. Ask them to charge less, or actually sell us a complete product.

I'm 100% happy with Nintendo's products. I thought Splatoon 2 was complete enough for me to be happy with it at launch....they could have left it alone. I consider it super cool that they've kept adding stages, weapons, gear, and special events at no extra cost. Same with ARMS (new characters, arms, stages, art gallery, special events). Same with Mario Kart (adding Labo compatibility for free). They're doing a great job, and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth for such great art and entertainment. Lets see....Cuphead for $20 or that lunchbox looking pile of crap Willy Wonka for $12,500 ...LOL...ask more from pinball makers. Video game makers are giving us some sweet sweet magic.

#2069 5 years ago

I never buy my Pinball games digital. I always go for the physical copy.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I never buy my Pinball games digital. I always go for the physical copy.

With Zen on Switch, I can play MM at work!

#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a "piracy" issue. They don't want you to buy a cart/disc and then give it to all your friends for free.

How is that a piracy issue. Somehow we've been told that lending a game or music to someone is piracy. You know as well as I do Nintendo or any other can limit that game to only play on one device at one time. DRM protection would only require a quick simple handshake with a server.

Raspberry pi for games blows - shouldn't ASSume things. Kind of speaks to the maturity of your post though

You downloaded a game at a period in time. You don't have anything. Your console dies for whatever reason and you have zero games. Remember the good old days when your saves actually went to the cart or at least to a local memory card. Ya, we're much better off without that................

And as I said in both posts - no problems with digital only....simply adjust the price. You're paying a 25% premium for Switch games over other platforms - people say it's cause of the cart. That's fine. so a digital game should be and minimum 25% cheaper out of the gate. Just cause you want to take it in the forehead doesn't mean its a good idea.

#2072 5 years ago

You downloaded a game at a period in time. You don't have anything. Your console dies for whatever reason and you have zero games.

You exist for a period of time. You don't have anything. When you die for whatever reason you have zero existence.

You can enjoy life, or be a fucking crab. That's on you.

Raspberry pi for games blows - shouldn't ASSume things. Kind of speaks to the maturity of your post though

I agree. I don't like Raspberry Pi at all. Who's ASSuming things?

Bye.gifBye.gif

#2073 5 years ago

To lighten the mood, check what I just got in! anyone else score one of these? The stickers on the table are from my retro twitch stream (shameless plug) We made 1000 so if you want me to snail mail you some let me know. just sent out a grip to a guy in New York

20190418_075203 (resized).jpg20190418_075203 (resized).jpg

#2074 5 years ago

Cup head is literally handing me my ass! And I love it!

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Cup head is literally handing me my ass! And I love it!

The lack of lives & in-stage power ups definitely seems to be an artificial way to pump the difficulty, though - don’t you think? Oh well, it is what it is - forcing me to play precisely when I’m usually a bit more loosey goosey.

#2076 5 years ago

I agree. It's caused me to really learn the lvl through repetition just like in the nes days.

#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I agree. It's caused me to really learn the lvl through repetition just like in the nes days.

I’ve been playing the Celeste B-Sides lately, so I feel like I’m prepped for that muscle-memory type repetition....but dang, I’m getting slaughtered. Lol.

#2078 5 years ago

Me too. I thought id play it with my kid. (5) that's not gonna happen. Lol. I don't know who's more annoying to play with, her or my wife. (38)

#2079 5 years ago

Aw yeah, just beat the world 1 boss with a Perfect!!! I think I’m better at the boss battles than the Run n’ Gun parts.

#2080 5 years ago

So there arent any power ups, different weapons, etc in Cuphead? Is there an ability tree or anything else?

#2081 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Whoa, are you a mega expert? How many 1sts did you get?
I've been getting more lately than usual, but I just assumed that's because the mega experts got bored.

I had 21 bit didn't even play in the last one.

But cuphead is great. I'm loving the difficulty but I love hard games

#2082 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So there arent any power ups, different weapons, etc in Cuphead? Is there an ability tree or anything else?

Just the power canon you build up while shooting. It is just straight pattern recognition, in true all or none fashion.

My game typically goes like this..... none, none, none, none, all, excitement builds, none, none, throw controller....

#2083 5 years ago

some new amiibos dropped for preorder today if you are into that kinda thing

pokemon trainer
Pichu
Isabelle

#2084 5 years ago

Did anyone get into the Let's Go Pokémon games?

I played the original on Gameboy (and a couple of iterations after up to GBA) and this Switch version is kind of ok, but pretty dumbed-down by comparison. Mostly the random encounters are just really annoying and involve no battling like in the original. Otherwise it seems to be pretty much the same game as the original. I got through a few gym leaders and don't know if I'll end up finishing it.

I'm still grinding my way through Dark Souls, and am still frustrated by what seems like a lack of players online to summon or be summoned by. From my perspective, I'm basically soloing through the game, which is much more difficult.

#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Just the power canon you build up while shooting. It is just straight pattern recognition, in true all or none fashion.
My game typically goes like this..... none, none, none, none, all, excitement builds, none, none, throw controller....

Hmmm. The one thing I love about side scroll shooters is the variety of weapons or power ups you can get ala Contra or Mega Man. If there's a demo, I may have to try it before I buy it. It does look beautiful though, but my kids will undoubtedly want to play it but then ultimately get frustrated.

#2086 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Hmmm. The one thing I love about side scroll shooters is the variety of weapons or power ups you can get ala Contra or Mega Man. If there's a demo, I may have to try it before I buy it. It does look beautiful though, but my kids will undoubtedly want to play it but then ultimately get frustrated.

Watch any videos you can to get a better feel. Some of the levels are side scrollers, but many are static pattern recognition. I think the combination of artwork, sounds, music, and presentation make Cuphead really stand out. This game has a ton of charm and personality.

#2087 5 years ago

Haven't had my Switch fired up in a long time but i turned it on last night and it was nice to see Mike Tysons punch out on there as one of their free games. I like that and my 3 Donkey Kong games. I sure wish i could get my hands on the original RBI Baseball. I loved that game.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I played the original on Gameboy (and a couple of iterations after up to GBA) and this Switch version is kind of ok, but pretty dumbed-down by comparison. Mostly the random encounters are just really annoying and involve no battling like in the original. Otherwise it seems to be pretty much the same game as the original. I got through a few gym leaders and don't know if I'll end up finishing it.
I'm still grinding my way through Dark Souls, and am still frustrated by what seems like a lack of players online to summon or be summoned by. From my perspective, I'm basically soloing through the game, which is much more difficult.

I bought pikachu and played it all the way through. I enjoyed, but found the pace a little slow. My 11 year old has played every pokemon ever, and said this one was essentially a fancy looking rehash, but he still enjoyed it.

#2089 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

There are a lot of weapons and specials you can get by collecting coins in the Run ‘n Gun levels. Right now I have a boomerang type shot & a homing shot. You can go into a level with 2 weapons to switch between. I also got a dash upgrade that lets you teleport...very handy...and 2 Super Arts attacks (saving up 5 supers lets you use a Super Art).

It’s an extremely frustrating game if you’re not used to super hard NES/retro games. You get one life/3 hits per stage. That’s it. You die, you start over.

I’m finding it tough, but not impossible. Just depends how patient of a gamer you are. Def not a kids game unless they like the challenge of hard retro games.

#2090 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are a lot of weapons and specials you can get by collecting coins in the Run ‘n Gun levels. Right now I have a boomerang type shot & a hiking shot. You can go into a level with 2 weapons to switch between. I also got a dash upgrade that lets you teleport...very handy...and 2 Super Arts attacks (saving up 5 supers lets you use a Super Art).
It’s an extremely frustrating game if you’re not used to super hard NES/retro games. You get one life/3 hits per stage. That’s it. You die, you start over.
I’m finding it tough, but not impossible. Just depends how patient of a gamer you are. Def not a kids game unless they like the challenge of hard retro games.

This sounds like a little more of the style that I'm into. I'll definitely check it out!

#2091 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I have been working through Let's Go Eevee that I bought for my daughter. It is a good remake of the original and I find it fun. I actually like that there aren't random pokemon encounters and you can pick and chose which pokemon you want to try and capture. Breaking up the battling and catching is nice in my book. When I go back and play the GB versions now I just get annoyed with all of the random Rattata battle nonsense.

#2092 5 years ago

Wish we could play 2 player online with cuphead.

#2093 5 years ago

Good surprise with Cuphead. I'm suffering way less on the Switch version that on the XBox One. I think it has to do with playing in portable mode and having my nose right on the screen. The game is all about accurate placement, which is hard on a tv screen because of the graphic mess the game turns into sometimes.

Almost at the end now, after 2 days of play; where I stayed stuck for a week on the bee boss on Xbox.

#2094 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Good surprise with Cuphead. I'm suffering way less on the Switch version that on the XBox One. I think it has to do with playing in portable mode and having my nose right on the screen. The game is all about accurate placement, which is hard on a tv screen because of the graphic mess the game turns into sometimes.
Almost at the end now, after 2 days of play; where I stayed stuck for a week on the bee boss on Xbox.

It’s possible your TV has lag. When playing games, set it to a “Game” or “Fast” mode if it has it. Also turn off post processing effects like smooth-o-vision, dynamic contrast, etc. makes a world of difference in precision gaming!

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s possible your TV has lag. When playing games, set it to a “Game” or “Fast” mode if it has it. Also turn off post processing effects like smooth-o-vision, dynamic contrast, etc. makes a world of difference in precision gaming!

I have a 2014 Sony that’s measured at 17 ms input lag, so quite a good contestant. I really think it has to do with my eyes doing better on short sight !

#2096 5 years ago

My wife and I bought a switch for our 8 year old son for his birthday.
Really great system.
I find myself having to limit the amount of playtime it gets or we will spend all day playing Super Mario Odyssey.
It was quite amusing watching my son and daughter see my wife play for the first time.
I believe the exact comment was something to the effect of "wow mommy you're pretty good, where did you learn how to play video games?" LOL.

#2097 5 years ago

BTW, can someone school me and give me a quick breakdown on amiibos?
My kids seem fascinated with these at the moment and keep talking about them.
I'm not quite sure I fully understand what these things do.

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

BTW, can someone school me and give me a quick breakdown on amiibos?
My kids seem fascinated with these at the moment and keep talking about them.
I'm not quite sure I fully understand what these things do.

amiibos are just little plastic toys that have an RFID chip/sticker in their base. the code for the RFID chip/sticker is picked up by the reader built into the right joy con controller and communicates to the switch which amiibo has been placed in proximity to the system. just about every switch game has code to "unlock" extra or bonus features in the games based on which amiibo is placed near the system

for instance, in breath of the wild, if you place the original smash bros. link or twilight princess link amiibo on the joy con, it [unlocks] epona (link's horse from ocarina of time) for use in the game instead of a regular horse. epona has a different look and I believe a few attributes that are a bit better than the generic horse (but nothing earth shattering that would ruin the experience for players that don't own that link amiibo

the effects of each amiibo varies from game to game. you can find more information on what effects each amiibo does on a game by game basis here:
https://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility/#amiibo
and
https://amiibo.life/games

there are plenty of other sites that cover the features, but these 2 are pretty good

#2099 5 years ago

Also, just so you are aware, the RFID is blocked by the packaging so if you want to use them in game you have to open them (some Collectors like the CIB/NIB of things)

#2100 5 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.