q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 89.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm hoping for a strong black friday deal to pick up a switch for my family.

They're flying off shelves. They don't need to Black Friday Switches...they'll sell on their own. Nintendo just announced their BF items. A green 2DS with Zelda Ocarina 3D (lol) installed for $80 & a Zelda BOTW edition with a book and map.

#102 6 years ago

I'm almost about to beat the main story. But there are SO many moons to go back and find....freaking soooo good. However I need to get much better at the jump, hat, dive, hat thing long jumps. I am not that talented yet.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They're flying off shelves. They don't need to Black Friday Switches...they'll sell on their own. Nintendo just announced their BF items. A green 2DS with Zelda Ocarina 3D (lol) installed for $80 & a Zelda BOTW edition with a book and map.

Dang.

I'll probably get one anyway, we just have so much money in the Wii U setup, I hate to have to buy a bunch of joy cons and accessories again.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Dang.
I'll probably get one anyway, we just have so much money in the Wii U setup, I hate to have to buy a bunch of joy cons and accessories again.

That's where Nintendo really gets into your wallet - accessories.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Dang.

I feel you. My wiiu is still connected to the main tv and I have new games :/

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I feel you. My wiiu is still connected to the main tv and I have new games :/

Yeah, we race mario kart and play mario party quite a lot. Still have Breath of the Wild unopened to give a shot as well.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Dang.

I'm addicted to Joy-Cons. I don't even need them but I bought Neon Red/blue, the Neon Yellows, and the Splatoon Neon Green/Pinks lol

Compared to pinball it's cheap as fuuuuuck.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm addicted to Joy-Cons. I don't even need them but I bought Neon Red/blue, the Neon Yellows, and the Splatoon Neon Green/Pinks lol
Compared to pinball it's cheap as fuuuuuck.

Haha you got that right about it being cheaper than pinball.

Can you tell me more about the joy cons? How many do you need to play like a 4 player game of mario kart? Does each person need a right and left?

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Haha you got that right about it being cheaper than pinball.
Can you tell me more about the joy cons? How many do you need to play like a 4 player game of mario kart? Does each person need a right and left?

Nope, that's the beauty of Joy-Con...turn it to the side and snap on the strap piece, and it's a stand alone controller. So, out of the box, you can play 2p Mario Kart. Another pair would let you play 4p. However, if you want a fuller controller, you can snap the left and right onto a grip and it becomes a more traditional style controller. Or - you can use a Pro controller for a regular console style controller.

Then there are games like ARMS which do something even crazier with the "thumbs up grip" for really fun motion control fighting!

joy-con-1 (resized).jpgjoy-con-1 (resized).jpg
joycongrip (resized).jpgjoycongrip (resized).jpg
Nintendo-Switch-pro-controller-650x366 (resized).jpgNintendo-Switch-pro-controller-650x366 (resized).jpg
gfcf6dsncjyy (resized).jpggfcf6dsncjyy (resized).jpg

#110 6 years ago

Cool, thanks for the info! We have a lot of the pro controllers for the wii u at the moment, we all like playing with those.

How do you normally configure yours? With the grip in the middle of left and right joycons?

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Cool, thanks for the info! We have a lot of the pro controllers for the wii u at the moment, we all like playing with those.
How do you normally configure yours? With the grip in the middle of left and right joycons?

I game a TON with the switch in handheld mode (joy cons attached to switch) It isn't the most comfy but it reminds me of the wiiu gamepad, so my wife can watch tv.
When I have full access to the tv, the PRO controller IS THE BEST!
When I take my switch to work and fight/race my coworkers, we just pop the joycons off and play that way, with 1 person on a pro controller. I still should get a 2nd set of joycons....but haven't done so yet.

#112 6 years ago

I agree this is a home run!!!

Switch titles are really lacking but with zelda and mario they should sell tons of consoles.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If I'm playing at home by myself, I generally just use the Pro controller, but I think the Joy-Cons on the grip are pretty comfy and are just about the same thing.

If I'm playing Snipperclips w/ my girlfriend or a group of friends, we use individual Joy-Cons.

If I'm at work, I've played Mario Kart & Mario Bros. with a friend each w/ a single Joy-Con. I brought my Switch to a family get together, set it up, and 4 kids played Mario Kart split-screen for hours, each with single Joy-Cons.

If I'm playing ARMS, I like using motion control...so 2 for me, and 2 for whoever I'm fighting.

If I'm playing anything in portable mode, I just have the Joy-Cons snapped onto the Switch and play that way.

The Switch is super versatile...you can kinda do whatever you want with the controls!

#114 6 years ago

I wish nintendo would give up on the horrible inaccurate motion controls. For example: Arms, with motion controls is a terrible tech demo about wildly flailing your arms. With a standard controller it's a really good nuanced fighting game -- because you have accuracy.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I agree this is a home run!!!
Switch titles are really lacking but with zelda and mario they should sell tons of consoles.

They just crossed 200 games on the eShop...that's pretty damn impressive for only launching in March!

Here's what I have so far:

Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Zelda BOTW
ARMS
Rayman Legends
Mario Kart 8 Dlx
Tiny Barbarian
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap
Cave Story+
Mario Bros. Arcade Archives
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero
Sonic Mania
Pan-Pan
Snipperclips
Snake Pass

#116 6 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to share some info, part of the reason I haven't bought a switch is because I haven't sat down and figured out what the deal with the joycons is yet.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I wish nintendo would give up on the horrible inaccurate motion controls. For example: Arms, with motion controls is a terrible tech demo about wildly flailing your arms. With a standard controller it's a really good nuanced fighting game -- because you have accuracy.

Totally disagree. ARMS motion control is INCREDIBLY accurate...and so amazingly satisfying. I can kick ass online in ARMS and the character does exactly what I want...it's not tech demo, it's the real deal...SUPER ACCURATE and TIGHT controls in motion. I fucking hate it with a standard controller...feels completely weird with it...I can't do shit!!!. With motion, it's totally intuitive and crazy fun...the only buttons I have to think about is jump and dash, punching is fun as F by PUNCHING -and you can curve your punches individually -which you can't do with a Pro controller.

Motion aiming on Splatoon is killer as well.

But hey, Nintendo gives you the OPTION to play it however you want. Don't like motion, play regular style....but I do not want them to give up with awesome motion - I wouldn't have bought ARMS if it was regular controls only....with motion it's the freshest fighting game I've played in forever.

#118 6 years ago

someone showed joycon use is fairly spot on to a wiimote...soo there are tons of things that could be done!

#119 6 years ago

Got several hours of Mario in today..,...so epic.

#120 6 years ago

What are some of the better games from the e shop that anyone has purchased?

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Steamworld Dig 2 was pretty fun.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Fuck you. You're 100% wrong, as always. Your loss on missing out on great games. Now get the fuck out of here, fun-sucking troll.

Now that's not very Nintendo of you Rarehero, swearing and giving orders, what would Mario say or Link or maybe one of those Splatoon characters, for shame sir, shame on you. Oh I'm not going anywhere by the way.

#123 6 years ago

Thanks for posting. This convinced me to get Mario soon. I loved 64 but felt like each title after that didn't really meet the bar. They were fun, but by the time I got to Galaxy I lost interest before I finished the game. I REALLY like Zelda. I'm playing it into the ground.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Thanks for posting. This convinced me to get Mario soon. I loved 64 but felt like each title after that didn't really meet the bar. They were fun, but by the time I got to Galaxy I lost interest before I finished the game. I REALLY like Zelda. I'm playing it into the ground.

breath of the wild is a place you can LIVE for literally months and have a good time. I wouldn’t rush to Mario (no matter how good it is) until you’ve had your full serving of BoTW. Mario will still be around. Don’t rush. Savor.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

breath of the wild is a place you can LIVE for literally months and have a good time. I wouldn’t rush to Mario (no matter how good it is) until you’ve had your full serving of BoTW. Mario will still be around. Don’t rush. Savor.

Sounds like we're on the same page. I play Zelda games super thorough. I had found all but a few shrines and beat all but few missions before beating Ganon. Then I went back and found more shrines, maxed out my armor, etc. Then I downloaded the extra content. I just beat the master trials. I have one or two shrines I still haven't found and I'll pick up the rest of the armor but I'm probably about ready to pick up Mario. Zelda has been really really good. Like a lot of the recent Mario games, I had started to feel like they were just rehashing Zelda over and over and it had gotten corny with too much dialogue. This on was like a breath of fresh air.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

This on was like a breath of fresh air.

Breath of fresh wind.

#128 6 years ago

Just got a Switch and Mario. Long shot, but looking for Zelda BOTW for Switch if anyone is done with theirs. I can trade:

1) Ultra Street Fighter 2 for Switch
2) RBI Baseball 2017 for Switch
3) Generic pinball parts, pingulps, etc.
4) Blu rays, 4Ks, digital movies/TV, etc.
5) Resident Evil 5 digital code for Xbox

#129 6 years ago

Anyone in southern wisconsin I'll sell my unopened snes classic, pm me.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Ultra Street Fighter 2 for Switch

Go buy BOTW well worth the price have not played a Zelda this good in a long time........ How was SF2 for switch? Worth buying?

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Go buy BOTW well worth the price have not played a Zelda this good in a long time........ How was SF2 for switch? Worth buying?

It's overpriced, but we're pinball maniacs so what's $40? I like the redrawn HD graphics and new music, but you can play it classic style if you want. Controls with Joycons are surprisingly good, even tho purists will balk. Violent Ken & Evil Ryu are overpowered so online play is annoying if opponents pick them. It's not perfect, but it's fun to have a portable SF2 of this quality.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's overpriced, but we're pinball maniacs so what's $40? I like the redrawn HD graphics and new music, but you can play it classic style if you want. Controls with Joycons are surprisingly good, even tho purists will balk. Violent Ken & Evil Ryu are overpowered so online play is annoying if opponents pick them. It's not perfect, but it's fun to have a portable SF2 of this quality.

Buy mine for $30 shipped!

#133 6 years ago

Bought Mario last night..

images (resized).pngimages (resized).png

#134 6 years ago

I will most likely wait on a big price drop for sf2 or pick one up used down the road. I need to log some hours in BOTW and Splatoon 2 first!

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I will most likely wait on a big price drop for sf2 or pick one up used down the road. I need to log some hours in BOTW and Splatoon 2 first!

Toys r us is having Buy 1, Get one 40% off right now. But yeah dude just play BOTW and Splatoon. On my Switch stats, I've got 180 hrs on Zelda, 140 on splatoon, and 5 on Street Fighter lol. I need to get back on Splatoon.

#136 6 years ago

Been playing it 2-player with my gf. We have 300-something moons so far. There are over 800!

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Axiom Verge is a pretty great Metroid clone.

#138 6 years ago

I have the Switch and playing BOTW on a 27" ACER Predator Monitor in 2K however the switch is a 720p resoultion and the monitor is upscaling but it still looks great.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

I have the Switch and playing BOTW on a 27" ACER Predator Monitor in 2K however the switch is a 720p resoultion and the monitor is upscaling but it still looks great.

How does that compare with a normal 1080p HDTV? That's what I'm using with Mario (both Kart and Odyssey) and think it looks great. Not noticing any fog issues, though I haven't tried Zelda yet.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

How does that compare with a normal 1080p HDTV?

The progress is 720p, 1080p, 1440p 2k, 2160p 4k. Its the number of pixels the screen can display from top to bottom. In the old TV's it is the number of scan lines. More pixels = greater detail/resolution. Upscaling will take a lower resolution and upscale it the higher by filling in the difference. As far as the fogging issue, mine looks great but I think that it is the aesthetic that they wanted to use.

#141 6 years ago

I agree amazing game, I love my switch travel a lot for work and its great that I can play the "real" games on the go. Mario is just incredibly well done.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

The Switch is 1080p docked, 720p portable.

#143 6 years ago

Just picked up a switch and SMO this weekend. Such an amazing little device with excellent build quality and aesthetics. During a cut seen, Mario's airship moved left to right across the screen. I could actually feel the rumble go left to right in the controller. Was an out loud " Oh Wow..." moment. Such attention to detail.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

The progress is 720p, 1080p, 1440p 2k, 2160p 4k. Its the number of pixels the screen can display from top to bottom. In the old TV's it is the number of scan lines. More pixels = greater detail/resolution. Upscaling will take a lower resolution and upscale it the higher by filling in the difference. As far as the fogging issue, mine looks great but I think that it is the aesthetic that they wanted to use.

I have a 65" OLED for 4K and 3D purposes, so I am somewhat familiar with how pixels work.

Planning to hook the Switch up to my cheaper Vizio 1080p with soundbar though.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The Switch is 1080p docked, 720p portable.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I found this if anyone is interested

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/tech-specs/

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Just picked up a switch and SMO this weekend. Such an amazing little device with excellent build quality and aesthetics. During a cut seen, Mario's airship moved left to right across the screen. I could actually feel the rumble go left to right in the controller. Was an out loud " Oh Wow..." moment. Such attention to detail.

HD Rumble is a lot of fun! In Mario you can go into the settings and crank it up to "Strong", too - It's even better that way, IMO!

I love the HD Rumble in ARMS - if you play with motion, you feel different rumble FX in each hand...you feel the arms "stretching" individually, and the punches individually. It's great!

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

HD Rumble is a lot of fun! In Mario you can go into the settings and crank it up to "Strong", too - It's even better that way, IMO!
I love the HD Rumble in ARMS - if you play with motion, you feel different rumble FX in each hand...you feel the arms "stretching" individually, and the punches individually. It's great!

Hoping to snag ARMS as a BF deal somewhere. I'd buy it for the novelty, but I'm not much of a fighting game guy.

#148 6 years ago

My buddy asked me what I thought about the switch, he's had it day 1.

First thing I said was the rumble is nuts. I remember the talk about HD Rumble but I can honestly say I'm impressed.

been loving the switch. I love how I can pull it out of the dock and its ready to play. Was nice to collect a few moons while waiting for the wife to get ready.

Think I have to break down and buy Mario kart. Not many games id double dip on but I freaking love mariokart8 on wii u

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

My buddy asked me what I thought about the switch, he's had it day 1.
First thing I said was the rumble is nuts. I remember the talk about HD Rumble but I can honestly say I'm impressed.
been loving the switch. I love how I can pull it out of the dock and its ready to play. Was nice to collect a few moons while waiting for the wife to get ready.
Think I have to break down and buy Mario kart. Not many games id double dip on but I freaking love mariokart8 on wii u

Yeah, I had MK8 on Wii U & the DLC....F it, I double dipped. It's the definitive version of the game, the resolution is better, the new characters and battle modes are legit new content....and you can play it on the go. DO it!

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Hoping to snag ARMS as a BF deal somewhere. I'd buy it for the novelty, but I'm not much of a fighting game guy.

TRU had switch games on sale this past weekend with a "buy one, get one 40% off" deal. my guess is that another retailer will offer something similar this month

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/3?hl=mamefan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.