q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 89.
#1801 5 years ago

anyone pick up the switch gamecube controllers for smash?

are they legit gamecube controllers? Like, can you use them in an og gamecube?

or like the wii gamecube smash controllers had to plug into a wii remote. is there some adapter they use (besides the gamecube port adapter needed)

edit: i watched an unboxing video and it looks like a standard gamecube port on the end of the controller, I wonder if they are "backward" compatible with a real gamecube.

#1802 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

anyone pick up the switch gamecube controllers for smash?
are they legit gamecube controllers? Like, can you use them in an og gamecube?
or like the wii gamecube smash controllers had to plug into a wii remote. is there some adapter they use (besides the gamecube port adapter needed)
edit: i watched an unboxing video and it looks like a standard gamecube port on the end of the controller, I wonder if they are "backward" compatible with a real gamecube.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

You plugged GameCube controllers on the side of the Wii, not into the Wiimotes. Those were the "Classic controllers" you're thinking of.

You just need the GameCube USB adapter for the Switch. It even works with the wireless Wavebird GameCube controllers.

Yes, the 2018 GameCube controllers work in a 2001 GameCube console.

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Yes. Yes. Yes.
You plugged GameCube controllers on the side of the Wii, not into the Wiimotes. Those were the "Classic controllers" you're thinking of.
You just need the GameCube USB adapter for the Switch. It even works with the wireless Wavebird GameCube controllers.
Yes, the 2018 GameCube controllers work in a 2001 GameCube console.

thanks, yeah i have a zelda and mario gamecube controller for wii but needs to plug into a wii remote to work. just wanted to make sure

#1804 5 years ago

thanks, yeah i have a zelda and mario gamecube controller for wii but needs to plug into a wii remote to work. just wanted to make sure

If they plug into the wiimote, then they aren't GameCube controllers.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

If they plug into the wiimote, then they aren't GameCube controllers.

sorry dad. they are "wired fight pads" in the shape of gamecube controllers. hope your panties didnt get too bunched up over that one.

71ED2XlzrwL._AC_SX430_ (resized).jpg71ED2XlzrwL._AC_SX430_ (resized).jpg

i didnt want to go thru that again, these hori "battle pads" plug in via usb

81Zq6rBmOOL._AC_ (resized).jpg81Zq6rBmOOL._AC_ (resized).jpg

#1806 5 years ago

sorry dad. they are "wired fight pads" in the shape of gamecube controllers. hope your panties didnt get too bunched up over that one.

Jesus, dude, I'm trying to help you. I won't make that mistake again.

#1807 5 years ago

http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

I have one of these I use with an original Gamecube controller and it works perfectly. I am very happy with it and at $20, it is a good price point.

#1808 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/
I have one of these I use with an original Gamecube controller and it works perfectly. I am very happy with it and at $20, it is a good price point.

thats pretty sweet. loved the wavebird gamecube controllers back in the day

Quoted from Sinestro:

Jesus, dude, I'm trying to help you. I won't make that mistake again.

I thanked you for helping me out; the second post I read like you were berating me for my misnomer, sorry, the cynical nature of pinside got the best of me.

hug it out?

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#1809 5 years ago

thats pretty sweet. loved the wavebird gamecube controllers back in the day

I thanked you for helping me out; the second post I read like you were berating me for my misnomer, sorry, the cynical nature of pinside got the best of me.
hug it out?
[quoted image]

I wasn't berating you. I didn't want you under the assumption that your "Wired Fight Pads" would plug into the GameCube adapter. I was trying to help you avoid frustration.

#1810 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I use the Pro when I'm at home for the most part. I like playing ARMS with motion controls, so that's a Joy-Con in each fist.
You need to connect the Joy-Cons for handheld on the go play.

If you plan on buying mostly digital, get a decent sized MicroSD. I started with a 128, but recently upgraded to 256....I buy a lot of games though - 128 should be fine...more than fine if you're buying games on cartridges.

Splatoon 2 is an online multiplayer game, it's not couch co-op at all. It's either 4 vs. 4 in various competition modes, or 4 together in Salmon Run.
If you wanna play in online battles with your kiddo, you'll each need to be on your own Switch.
It has a great fun single player mode & another one in the optional Octo Expansion.
I can't wait to see you on the Splattlefield!!!
[quoted image]

Got myself this little stocking stuffer to go with our switch. Can’t wait to check out the new differences from the WiiU version.

FDC5AC18-0DB5-41EB-98F7-6905F185B4B9 (resized).jpegFDC5AC18-0DB5-41EB-98F7-6905F185B4B9 (resized).jpeg
#1812 5 years ago

There are over 450 games on sale on the eShop right now!!! Holy crap, so much good stuff under $10!!!! I’m glad I waited a few weeks, Ms. Splosion Man is $8.99!

#1813 5 years ago

Hey guys and gals, bought this for the kids for Christmas. We haven't had a new system since XBox 360. Got Mario Kart (naturally) but what are the "must haves" on this? I haven't played video games since I got into pinball 5 years ago...way outta the loop. But I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo and dad wants to have fun too! Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas.

#1814 5 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey guys and gals, bought this for the kids for Christmas. We haven't had a new system since XBox 360. Got Mario Kart (naturally) but what are the "must haves" on this? I haven't played video games since I got into pinball 5 years ago...way outta the loop. But I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo and dad wants to have fun too! Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas.

Hey bud! Merry Christmas back at ya! My recommendations for family fun:

Mario Party
Kirby Star Allies
Pre-order super Mario bros U
All of these games allow 4 player simultaneous play

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is great as well but only allows play for Two

Any of the Jack Box party packs are fun for group/party play and allow players to join with their phones/devices. Perfect for people who aren’t really gamers.

My personal favs for individual play:
Steamworld Dig
Hollow Knight
Celeste

Hope that’s a good start. Have fun and look me up next time you’re around STL.

#1815 5 years ago

Thanks man! Funny enough, we lived in Webster Groves for 4 years 08-12. It wasn't until right before we moved back to IN that I started makin some kick ass pals and realized what a great city St. Louie is. Thanks again for the suggestions!

#1816 5 years ago

My 1st time posting in here. Feel like I shoulda started with RIP Eggbert. He was one of my favorite cantankerous Pinsiders.
Rest in Peace good sir.

#1817 5 years ago

Zelda and Mario are really fun single Ayer games.

#1818 5 years ago

I KNOW that Mr. Nintendo is reading this thread and I IMPLORE him to add Skyward Sword to the eshop so that I don't have to buy a Wii U to play a missed Zelda game. Please Mr. Nintendo!!

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I KNOW that Mr. Nintendo is reading this thread and I IMPLORE him to add Skyward Sword to the eshop so that I don't have to buy a Wii U to play a missed Zelda game. Please Mr. Nintendo!!

There are many games from the last two generations I would like to see on Switch. I never owned a Wii or WiiU.

#1820 5 years ago

Here's a list of excellent games that are on sale right now! These games are awesome and cheap AF!!!

Shantae & the Pirates Curse $12.99 - Amazing platformer/adventure game in a retro style
Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero $9.99 - Amazing sequel with a beautiful hand drawn modern HD style
Mummy Demastered $12.99 - A great Metroid-type game by the Shantae team, with a 16-bit style
Pan-Pan $3 - A cute little adventure puzzle game...totally worth 3 bucks.
Slime San $7.19 - A hardcore platformer like Meatboy with a retro gameboy type aesthetic
Ms. Splosion Man $8.99 - Fantastic action platformer, originally on Xbox360 but upgraded to 60fps on Switch
Axiom Verge $9.99 - Wonderful Metroid-style game with excellent music & really cool weapons
Lumines $9.74 - A musical puzzle game originally on PSP with great music and new HD graphcis and HD rumble
Pool Panic $7.49 - A very silly cartoony billiards game where the balls are all characters.
Thumper $7.99 - A really weird hardcore rhythm game.
Bulb Boy $1.79 - A bit of a point 'n click puzzle interactive cartoon. Excellent artwork and style...totally worth this price.
The Way Remastered .99 - A really cool retro-styled action/adventure/puzzle game like Another World and Flashback
Yoku’s Island Express $9.99 - A great pinball/platformer Metroid-style game
Bomb Chicken $10.49 - A really funny retro-styled platformer with great sprite animation.
RIVE $7.49 - An amazing shoot 'em up that's a real love letter to the genre. Funny, unique, amazing visuals.

#1821 5 years ago

Thanks for the breakdown @rarehero. I miss out on a lot of these games because I don't hang out on the eshop or follow a lot of the indie releases.

#1822 5 years ago

I asked for and got Bayonetta 2 for Christmas based on some good reviews. Any fans of the game here? I've played through the first couple "levels" on Normal and have had a fun time. At first I thought it was just a beat em up but after a couple hours I found some addicting qualities to the action. It's got some good edge, great music, and fun visuals. Think I'll enjoy playing through it. Then I'll get back to Smash.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Thanks for the breakdown rarehero. I miss out on a lot of these games because I don't hang out on the eshop or follow a lot of the indie releases.

Sure! Cuz I’m a cheap game addict, I bought one more lol - Crossing Souls for $7.50. It’s kinda like Stand By Me/Goonies/Stranger Things as a retro styled overhead Zelda type game. Takes place in the 80’s and full of every reference you can think of. Even the score is Spielbergian. I’ve only played it for a few hours but I like it so far.

#1824 5 years ago

Hollow knight is on sale for $10. I haven't played it yet, but it gets pretty great reviews.

#1825 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hollow knight is on sale for $10. I haven't played it yet, but it gets pretty great reviews.

I have it on PC. Excellent game.

#1826 5 years ago

Currently playing Hollow Knight. What a great game. I really enjoy the music and the atmosphere of this one. Definitely worth $10!

#1827 5 years ago

It’s great - I need to get back to it and try to finish it. The game seems endless. I got to a really hard boss & gave it a break for a while. I’ve got 15 hrs into it...I’ve seen some friends put like 100 hrs into it!!!

#1828 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s great - I need to get back to it and try to finish it. The game seems endless. I got to a really hard boss & gave it a break for a while. I’ve got 15 hrs into it...I’ve seen some friends put like 100 hrs into it!!!

I did the same thing, but the really hard boss was only the second one. Lol

#1829 5 years ago

I finally beat the single player World of Light campaign in Smash Ultimate. I really wasn't expecting 50 hours of content from the single player of a Smash game, but I really enjoyed it. You could do if faster but I wanted to clear every spirit battle.

Love this game.

#1830 5 years ago

If you're a fan of Bubble Bobble / Tumblepop style arcade platformers, get Whip Whip. Really really charming and fun and currently on sale for only four dollars.

#1831 5 years ago

So splatoon 2. Is there no more using the game console as a map and touch-ink strike or jump?

#1832 5 years ago

Playing Rive right now...pretty fun so far...

#1833 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So splatoon 2. Is there no more using the game console as a map and touch-ink strike or jump?

Wii U used the controller for the map, not the console. Switch is a single-screen system....the screen IS the system.

Use X button to bring up the map & motion aim to pick who you want to superjump to & hit jump.

Ink strike isn’t in Splatoon 2 - there are tons of new specials. Spashdown is my favorite & you can combine with with superjump to really F up players who are camping at your landing spot.

#1834 5 years ago

Santa brought Smash Bros. and 4 Gamecube controllers. Even my 6 year old is sold on them!

IMG_1370 (resized).jpgIMG_1370 (resized).jpg
#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Santa brought Smash Bros. and 4 Gamecube controllers. Even my 6 year old is sold on them![quoted image]

your son told me that you need to get another gamecube adapter and 4 more gamecube controllers for 8-player battles!

#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

your son told me that you need to get another gamecube adapter and 4 more gamecube controllers for 8-player battles!

LOL or just use Joy Cons & Pro controllers. I don’t get the GameCube thing. Plays fine with Switch’s controllers

#1837 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

You can apparently do that with a 4 port USB hub and two GameCube adapters!

#1838 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL or just use Joy Cons & Pro controllers. I don’t get the GameCube thing. Plays fine with Switch’s controllers

Nah. GameCube controllers are superior. Do you honestly think Nintendo would still be making these controllers 17 years after their introduction if their wasn’t demand for them? Demand drives their use.

F6523BCA-82A0-48AB-BE10-3142700F8E8A (resized).jpegF6523BCA-82A0-48AB-BE10-3142700F8E8A (resized).jpeg
#1839 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Nah. GameCube controllers are superior. Do you honestly think Nintendo would still be making these controllers 17 years after their introduction if their wasn’t demand for them? Demand drives their use.[quoted image]

I just don’t see the point if it. I can play Smash with Wii U controllers, on a 3DS, and on Switch. All the buttons you need are there. The sticks are fine. I understand why people want to use arcade sticks for SF2, I don’t get why the GC controller does anything special for Smash gameplay. Oh well, I’m just glad I don’t have to buy a bunch of new controllers lol.

#1840 5 years ago

Eskaybee & I are murder/suiciding each other in Splatoon 2

D50ADD85-23D4-4D0F-8DAF-F30EBED4D409.jpegD50ADD85-23D4-4D0F-8DAF-F30EBED4D409.jpeg

#1841 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just don’t see the point if it. I can play Smash with Wii U controllers, on a 3DS, and on Switch. All the buttons you need are there. The sticks are fine. I understand why people want to use arcade sticks for SF2, I don’t get why the GC controller does anything special for Smash gameplay. Oh well, I’m just glad I don’t have to buy a bunch of new controllers lol.

The controller’s layout is matched to the game. Has been since the GameCube. Large A button is perfect for smashing. Controllers are cheap. $30 each. $20 for the adapter. $140 for 4 controllers and the adapter. That would only buy me 2 Pro controllers. Wouldn’t even buy me 2 sets of Joy-cons.

I think layout, feel, and price are motivating factors for why many users prefer the GameCube controllers. But, as you’ve pointed out, you don’t have to use them.

#1842 5 years ago

I'm reliving Dark Souls on the Switch.
I love Dark Souls.
But right now I HATE Dark Souls.
My Switch may be smashed to pieces before I beat this game.

#1843 5 years ago

Agree that the GC controller is the best way to play Smash, but not necessary by any means. It is obvious the default controls were made with that controller in mind.

#1844 5 years ago

The ability to move your right thumb from attack and jump so easily on a GC controller is whats up

#1845 5 years ago

Agree. I thought I could get by with the pro controller, but playing for a couple of days, I really miss the jump buttons of the GC controller. Jumping is critical in that game, and the transition for me just feels a little too sloppy right now.

#1846 5 years ago

Agree. I thought I could get by with the pro controller, but playing for a couple of days, I really miss the jump buttons of the GC controller. Jumping is critical in that game, and the transition for me just feels a little too sloppy right now.

I don’t get it. All the buttons are right next to each other. Why is it harder to move your thumb?

I’ve never quite understood Smash’s controls in general. In order to play OK, I change it so B is jump & Y is attack, as that feels more like traditional action/platformer controls.

#1847 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don’t get it. All the buttons are right next to each other. Why is it harder to move your thumb?
I’ve never quite understood Smash’s controls in general. In order to play OK, I change it so B is jump & Y is attack, as that feels more like traditional action/platformer controls.

People like what they like.

#1848 5 years ago

When me & Eskaybee are on the same team....LOOK OUT!!! We splatyoo!!!

249BDEA3-02D9-4028-91AE-FECE22818A87.jpeg249BDEA3-02D9-4028-91AE-FECE22818A87.jpeg
#1849 5 years ago

Only recently joined the Switch club. My fave purchase so far is the Smash Bros bundle - literally it's in a bigger box than the Switch. Can't believe I'm buying GC controllers again in 2018.

20181209_134701 (resized).jpg20181209_134701 (resized).jpg
20181210_144036 (resized).jpg20181210_144036 (resized).jpg

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When me & Eskaybee are on the same team....LOOK OUT!!! We splatyoo!!!
[quoted image]

More fun than a $10k pin

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.