q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 89.
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oohhhh.....thats right, i forgot about the pie factory! Why in the heck would they had left that out i wonder? I just bought the original Donkey Kong and its way different and much harder than the free version. Well worth 7.99!

Memory restrictions of the NES

#1452 5 years ago

Hey guys, is Mario Tennis a good game to play online with a friend?

#1453 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

MARIO tennis is a great game..... imo with caveats. If you play with the specials enabled it’s hard af. No skill needed, just power hits over and over. If you just play against a friend it would probably be super fun. Very technical game if you want it to be and easy for new/young players too

#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

MARIO tennis is a great game..... imo with caveats. If you play with the specials enabled it’s hard af. No skill needed, just power hits over and over. If you just play against a friend it would probably be super fun. Very technical game if you want it to be and easy for new/young players too

I was doing some reading on it and someone was saying the best way to play is with what they call simple rules. I think that means no power ups, just regular tennis?

#1455 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I rarely play it. Friends played it nonstop during the prelaunch weekend, and I just haven't caught up, so I just suck at it. I can't get anyone I know to play simple rules.

I am actually hoping that rumors of dreamcast games coming to the switch are true so I can play virtua tennis again. lol

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I rarely play it. Friends played it nonstop during the prelaunch weekend, and I just haven't caught up, so I just suck at it. I can't get anyone I know to play simple rules.
I am actually hoping that rumors of dreamcast games coming to the switch are true so I can play virtua tennis again. lol

The pre-launch demo was so intensely frustrating, I didn't buy the game. Simple rules are probably better....I just couldn't wrap my head around the mechanics of all the special stuff. If you have the mindset to figure it out, it's probably super fun to dominate.

#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I was doing some reading on it and someone was saying the best way to play is with what they call simple rules. I think that means no power ups, just regular tennis?

From my understand, yes

#1458 5 years ago

Zen Pinball FX3 has been updated with the Bally/Williams games! Fish Tales is free with the update, and the pack of MM, JY, and HS2 are $10! Wheeee!

#1459 5 years ago

Well, it's always something...the Zen B/W games are censored for some reason. These games were in public arcades...now they have to be censored in digital form? Why!?!?

They play pretty great, but how annoying.

Zen_censored.jpgZen_censored.jpg
#1460 5 years ago

That is a pass for me. I was looking forward to these, but I am not going to support censorship. They should have offered separate versions if they wanted to pull this censored crap.

#1461 5 years ago

Why are folks so up in arms on the censorship, it’d be nice to have an operators menu but whatever, the tables play f’n awesome! You’re losing out on a great simulation. 4 fantastically playing WMS tables for $10? Yes, please and thank you!!

#1462 5 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Why are folks so up in arms on the censorship,

Cuz why do it? In 2018, there's nothing in these games that warrant censorship.

You’re losing out on a great simulation

No I'm not, I bought the pack already lol

#1463 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, it's always something...the Zen B/W games are censored for some reason. These games were in public arcades...now they have to be censored in digital form? Why!?!?
They play pretty great, but how annoying.
[quoted image]

What did they censor? I don’t remember anything crazy....

#1464 5 years ago

Why are folks so up in arms on the censorship, it’d be nice to have an operators menu but whatever, the tables play f’n awesome! You’re losing out on a great simulation. 4 fantastically playing WMS tables for $10? Yes, please and thank you!!

I just don’t like seeing things censored to be family friendly. I want the original. The only way I can show my disapproval is to not give them my money, so that is what I will do.

#1465 5 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I just don’t like seeing things censored to be family friendly. I want the original. The only way I can show my disapproval is to not give them my money, so that is what I will do.

Any classic machine that was even the slightest bit provacative will likely not be included in Zen's arcade due to censorship. Could you imagine what they would do to a game like Paragon? Fathom? Centuar? You likely wont see them at all, or they'd look a mess to try to "cover up" all that skin.

that-season-im-out-meme-1024x639 (resized).jpgthat-season-im-out-meme-1024x639 (resized).jpg
#1466 5 years ago

I bought these tables on the PS4 tonight and i didnt see anything censored. I only was able to play briefly before work to basically just check them out but i did not see anything like that at all. What i did see though was 4 tables that look killer compared to Pinball Arcades tables and i think they play better also.

The ball physics feel different, im not sure if its for better or worse yet but at least you cant nudge and keep the ball in play for an hour like you can on pinball arcade. The nudging is ridiculous on their version, it seems more real on Zen. The graphics are amazing though and im glad that i bought them, 10 dollars well spent. I think Zen did a superb job on these tables.

#1467 5 years ago

Also have on PS4 and the physics of PFX3 suck. It is just off.
Pinball Arcade while a little less visual play soooo much better IMO.

#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

They are different for sure but i honestly think they did a decent job with it. It seems more realistic to me because the nudging isnt so unrealistic, and the graphics are sooooo much better!

#1469 5 years ago

I too was super disappointed playing fish tales. The simulation has no bounce. The slings don't seem right, the bounce off the top of the slings are just dead. Even bounce passes just seem deader than I expect. It is like they simulated a machine that is still using the original rubbers from 1990s.

I also couldn't do things I traditionally do on fishtales. Like trying to from a cradle on the right, do a rolling backhand to the lock, by quickly flicking the right inland to get the ball rolling up the flipper.

And the flippers were slow. Didn't feel like real flippers, certainly didn't feel like lightning flippers.

Is it fun to play, sure. But the hype on the simulation falls flat.

#1470 5 years ago

wtf is even censored at the top of the castle? its just the tops of the towers as far as I can remember...

edit: or is that the DMD screen animation and something on it is censored? super weird, 100% out. wild world we live in, in 2018 you cant even show the dmd images from a pinball machine from the 90s?

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

wtf is even censored at the top of the castle? its just the tops of the towers as far as I can remember...
edit: or is that the DMD screen animation and something on it is censored? super weird, 100% out. wild world we live in, in 2018 you cant even show the dmd images from a pinball machine from the 90s?

It's the DMD. They're playing the "family friendly" rom. The "kill" scenes of the dragon are censored. I think some of the callouts are removed. Someone on FB said that the video modes have been changed (not sure if that's how the family rom was or if it was a further Zen change).

Apparently this is because Zen has an "E" rating. I don't see why it would be a big deal to just change it to a "T" rating. The SNES Classic has a "T" rating, and that hasn't stopped parents from buying it for their kids.

#1472 5 years ago

They have new physics for the B/W tables. They play much better than PA ever did, IMO.

#1473 5 years ago

Make sure you're playing "Classic Single Player." The regular single player uses Zen physics. Classic Single Player will let you select arcade and tournament settings, which both use the improved, more realistic physics.

#1474 5 years ago

Was playing FT briefly last night and thought it played pretty good. I’ll probably get the B/W pack. I have my controls setup for the flippers to be on the top L and R buttons but when you change the orientation to the long view up and down those buttons don’t work anymore. It’s ackward using those anyways so how do I change the controls in that view?

#1475 5 years ago

I’ve been playing the fish tales table and find some of the sounds are different than the actual game... I was on the fence about buying them and probably won’t unless they restore the games to their original form. They’re argument/claim is due to the new gaming rating system which didn’t exists at the time the pins were created they had to censor them... not sure how farsight got around this issue.

#1476 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Was playing FT briefly last night and thought it played pretty good. I’ll probably get the B/W pack. I have my controls setup for the flippers to be on the top L and R buttons but when you change the orientation to the long view up and down those buttons don’t work anymore. It’s ackward using those anyways so how do I change the controls in that view?

If you're in handheld mode and playing vertically, you can detach the "top" Joycon...then you use the touch screen for flippers.

If you are playing in vertical mode and have the Switch on a tabletop or a stand, you can hold a Joycon in each hand and still use the L and R buttons for your flippers.

#1477 5 years ago

If you have access to a 3D printer, here’s a file for a really cool vertical holder for switch
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2720756

#1478 5 years ago

These tables arent perfect but i think they are better than TPA. I am glad Zen is making them and for only 3 bucks a piece i am definitely going to buy them and support Zen. They are a very good company. I can live with a few things being censored even though id rather not, but its all good still.

#1479 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you're in handheld mode and playing vertically, you can detach the "top" Joycon...then you use the touch screen for flippers.
If you are playing in vertical mode and have the Switch on a tabletop or a stand, you can hold a Joycon in each hand and still use the L and R buttons for your flippers.

Cool, thanks!

#1480 5 years ago

Me and a friend played some of the classics online last night and we had a blast. We played Techmo Bowl most of the night, that game is a hoot! We also played the old tennis game and that was alot of fun too and we olayed Donkey Kong and a few others as well. Really enjoying my Switch so far.

#1481 5 years ago

Played a little Solomon's Key last night...a game that always intrigued me but I never got a chance to try until now. Love the concept and control, but damn is it hard! I couldn't make it past the third stage, LOL! One hit instadeath is brutal. Definitely a game that I wish had continues.

Also finished VVVVVV this past week. Tough as nails, but very satisfying. Had well over 1000 deaths, but enjoyed it start to finish with minimal rage, LOL. Tons of personality packed into the very simple graphics. Perfect feeling controls. Very clever.

#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Played a little Solomon's Key last night...a game that always intrigued me but I never got a chance to try until now. Love the concept and control, but damn is it hard! I couldn't make it past the third stage, LOL! One hit instadeath is brutal. Definitely a game that I wish had continues.
Also finished VVVVVV this past week. Tough as nails, but very satisfying. Had well over 1000 deaths, but enjoyed it start to finish with minimal rage, LOL. Tons of personality packed into the very simple graphics. Perfect feeling controls. Very clever.

Love Solomon's Key! I remember playing this game when in grade school. Very underrated and not ever mentioned when talking about NES greats.

#1483 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's the DMD. They're playing the "family friendly" rom. The "kill" scenes of the dragon are censored. I think some of the callouts are removed. Someone on FB said that the video modes have been changed (not sure if that's how the family rom was or if it was a further Zen change).
Apparently this is because Zen has an "E" rating. I don't see why it would be a big deal to just change it to a "T" rating. The SNES Classic has a "T" rating, and that hasn't stopped parents from buying it for their kids.

because killing an imaginary beast can cause damage to a child's developing brain? apparently, the ratings board should go back and re-rate all of the cartoons that we watched as kids during the 50s, 60s and 70s as "M" for mature as well

the world has become a sad place due to social media and the outright from special interest groups

#1484 5 years ago

Received my Worms W.M.D. Physical copy from Super Rare Games yesterday!

still waiting on a bunch of switch titles I've ordered from Limited Run Games tho

Its fun to get a package sometimes months after you've ordered something, get a present you forgot about for yourself

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

VVVVVV is awesome, and the music is just phenomenal. There's a ton of extra content in it, too! Check out the Player created levels! It's like 18 sequels!

#1486 5 years ago

woohoo, was able to pre-order the steelbook smash bros ultimate edition off of best buy with my gamer club discount

#1487 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

VVVVVV is awesome, and the music is just phenomenal. There's a ton of extra content in it, too! Check out the Player created levels! It's like 18 sequels!

I will be sure to check them out when I'm ready for the abuse...LOL! Then again I'm a couple levels in to Mega Man 11 and it isn't like that is much less abusive...

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I will be sure to check them out when I'm ready for the abuse...LOL! Then again I'm a couple levels in to Mega Man 11 and it isn't like that is much less abusive...

Yeah I've been playing MM11 pretty slow...I dove into Hollow Knight pretty hard and didn't wanna stop, cuz on a game like that - if I put it aside, I'll come back and forget everything. But yeah, MM11 is hard AF...and for some reason I'm being stubborn and not playing the easier mode. The shop items help a lot, though...I definitely make use of the energy tanks and whatnot.

#1489 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah I've been playing MM11 pretty slow...I dove into Hollow Knight pretty hard and didn't wanna stop, cuz on a game like that - if I put it aside, I'll come back and forget everything. But yeah, MM11 is hard AF...and for some reason I'm being stubborn and not playing the easier mode. The shop items help a lot, though...I definitely make use of the energy tanks and whatnot.

Hollow Knight is awesome.

I really enjoyed everything about that game.

Playing Mark of the Ninja now which is great too.

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hollow Knight is awesome.
I really enjoyed everything about that game.
Playing Mark of the Ninja now which is great too.

I've got 10 hrs into Hollow Knight...I've seen some of my friends with 100+ on it...is there THAT much in the game?!!?

#1491 5 years ago

It’s like Mario if you want to do everything...knock yourself out.

I messed up and didn’t realize you’re suppose to battle the spirits with the spirit sword.
So I spent some time backtracking.
And the coliseum...argh

#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Love Solomon's Key! I remember playing this game when in grade school. Very underrated and not ever mentioned when talking about NES greats.

My all time favorite game! I love the music. There are so many secrets. I've made it to the end more than once. The original NES controllers were great for this game. It's a little harder using the joycons.

If you're new to the game, make/break blocks everywhere and uncover some surprises. On room 3, there is an extra life jar on the top right corner. Make/break a block there to reveal the jar.

#1493 5 years ago

My apologies if this has been discussed, I've found the search function lacking and there's 30 pages here, but I want to ask about the wifi and if anyone has found it lacking?
At my parents house and at my house, my sons need to be right next to the modem for the switch to connect. There seems to be no range. All my other devices connect just fine.
Is this a common problem?

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Is this a common problem?

Yes it is a common problem. It came up in reviews a lot when the Switch first came out. Blows my mind Nintendo has not acknowledged it considering the nintendo DS systems had great wifi.

#1495 5 years ago
Quoted from TheBrewhouse:

Yes it is a common problem. It came up in reviews a lot when the Switch first came out. Blows my mind Nintendo has not acknowledged it considering the nintendo DS systems had great wifi.

It depends on the router. With my old router, the Switch would get to 1 bar where all my other stuff had full bars. That router broke, and I set up an Apple Airport, now my Switch gets full bars. It's still not as good as other stuff if I take it further, but it doesn't have to be right next to it, and I've been playing online Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario Kart flawlessly without dropouts or errors. The Capcom games like Street Fighter Collection play like absolute garbage, though...and I'm not sure if that's a router thing or an issue with the actual game & its netcode.

#1496 5 years ago

So is Luigi's Mansion going to be any good?

#1497 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't know how it couldn't be. I stole one of my son's DSs to play that title from star to finish several times. Nintendo titles are just sooooooo good. Super Mario party is probably the best Mario Party to date. We probably logged about 12 hours on it this past weekend.

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I really like it on 3DS...I'll miss the 3D effects, though! They really enhance the game!

#1499 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I really like it on 3DS...I'll miss the 3D effects, though! They really enhance the game!

I seen there was a review for it on the 3DS but its suppose to be on the Switch also i think? Ive never played Luigis Mansion before but it looks like maybe it could be fun?

#1500 5 years ago

I am playing DK Tropical Freeze right now and its pretty good so far but its kind of hard at times. Hopefully i will be able to get through it on the normal mode and move on to another game.soon.

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/30?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.