q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg
There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 89.
#601 6 years ago

Pro to buying physical is amazon and B.B. offer 20% off. The con is that eshop purchases get more gold coins vs physical games. If you are into those “perks” of 100 gold coins == $1 off eshop.

#602 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I will only ever buy one physical game for my switch (I bought Zelda) because it only has one slot. I am done swapping cartridges and discs. That being said, I am really glad we are getting all of these physical releases for the people who want them. One of the most expensive games I have purchased on the switch was binding of Isaac. It was $40 which is high for a digital game, but I was ok with the price since they did such a good job with the physical release. I have a lot of friends that love that stuff.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have 2 Switches. I only bought Rocket League in the Store. If I want to play iot on the other Switch I have to disconnect my account from the Store on the first one and then it reconnects at the other Switch. I cannot buy the game twice on the same account, so I cannot play the game against someone on my own Switches. With physical this is no problem whatsoever.

If the digital download versions would be much cheaper than the physical, it MAYBE would make sense, but how it is set up now it is just a PITA and even more expensive.

#603 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have 2 Switches. I only bought Rocket League in the Store. If I want to play iot on the other Switch I have to disconnect my account from the Store on the first one and then it reconnects at the other Switch. I cannot buy the game twice on the same account, so I cannot play the game against someone on my own Switches. With physical this is no problem whatsoever.
If the digital download versions would be much cheaper than the physical, it MAYBE would make sense, but how it is set up now it is just a PITA and even more expensive.

Same exact situation for me as well. Bought switch for myself and my girlfriend and can’t use same account on both. Mario kart and nba 2k17 are pain in the ass for me because of downloading them. Converted me to physical only purchases.

#604 6 years ago

Why are they not putting virtual console on the Switch? I want my NES games (The Super Mario Brothers games, Solomon's Key, and several others). I don't want to set up my Wii or Wii-U just to play these games.

At least I have a small consolation, "Crazy Climber", which was one of my all time favorite arcade games, is available. The Joy Cons are perfect for this game.

Also, will they ever release a Wii Sports type game? I miss those games.

29064402_10215577960592385_5880966604106740861_o.jpg29064402_10215577960592385_5880966604106740861_o.jpg

#605 6 years ago

Most likely, the VC will come with the online package. They had talked about having VC titles when you paid for the yearly online.

#606 6 years ago

So if you have to pay for online access, do you then also have to pay for the games?

#607 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

So if you have to pay for online access, do you then also have to pay for the games?

Which games?

Ok so it is similar to Xbox and ps. You pay a online fee to get online playing. You buy a game, like splatoon 2 or smash and can play online.

The “free/included” games are these, classic games with online functionality added. Here it is from Nintendo

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The only problem I have with digital is you shift any value left in the games from the physical media to being permanently locked to your account.
You can never recover any of that value. I suppose it doesn't really matter if you only buy 3 or 4 games a year, but if you go through 4 a month it helps to be able to resell them to friends or share the cost of single player games so we each can play different games at a much lower cost.
Plus you can almost always pick up the physical releases cheaper than the digital ones, which doesn't make sense to me. Use Amazon if you are pre-ordering and you get it on launch day with a nice discount. Best Buy Gamer's Club if it's after launch day for the same discount and the ease of walking into a store to pick it up on the way home from work.

I just preordered Octopath Traveler from Amazon with a nice 20% discount. Have to be a Prime member, but I've been one for the last 10 years. Delivery on release day. Can't beat that!

1 week later
#609 6 years ago

Just saw the tweet TPA is available on Switch! My wallet will be hurting if it has portrait mode!

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Just saw the tweet TPA is available on Switch! My wallet will be hurting if it has portrait mode!

It does.

I wish you could take the top Joy-Con off like on Zen's, but it's still pretty good. Looks great, 60fps handheld or docked. Touchscreen flippers work nice in handheld as well.

PA_Switch (resized).jpgPA_Switch (resized).jpg

PA_2 (resized).jpgPA_2 (resized).jpg

#611 6 years ago

What do you mean take off the top joycon? I've been playing Zen and SPA with the joycons in my hand detached.

#612 6 years ago

New Adventure Pals game looks fun. Anyone try it yet? It has co-op, so I think my 7year old will love it too.

Added over 6 years ago: Adventure Pals is cute, but nothing amazing. Definitely not going to be a hit indie game or anything....but it's not terrible either...

#613 6 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

New Adventure Pals game looks fun. Anyone try it yet? It has co-op, so I think my 7year old will love it too.

Did you try Kirby yet with your son? Free demo on eshop!

#614 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

What do you mean take off the top joycon? I've been playing Zen and SPA with the joycons in my hand detached.

You can play with the "bottom" (right) Joycon attached and the left detached...so you can hold it in your hand, play with the touch screen, and feel rumble... but it's a bit lighter without the top one adding weight. If you try the same thing on PA, it doesn't "get" it. It needs both Joycons attached to the system, or detached.

#615 6 years ago

I just went to the e-shop to purchase a season and Pinball Arcade isn't there.

#616 6 years ago

Ah okay. I play both detached. Dropped 60 on season 1 and 3 I think. The season with TAF.

#617 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I just went to the e-shop to purchase a season and Pinball Arcade isn't there.

Yeah, it's a licensing issue, according to the Pinball Arcade post on Facebook.

Hopefully resolved ASAP.

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballwiz45b:

Yeah, it's a licensing issue, according to the Pinball Arcade post on Facebook.
Hopefully resolved ASAP.

I'm gonna guess that they didn't pay The Who for using "Pinball Wizard".

#619 6 years ago

Just got bayo 1/2!!!

#620 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just got bayo 1/2!!!

Waiting for a steal A deal on the bayo 1/2 set.

#621 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Waiting for a steal A deal on the bayo 1/2 set.

Should be soon I would think. I do the Best Buy rewards thing so 20% off is an ok deal off physical

#622 6 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Damn it! I just bought TPA and ALL 7 seasons for my PC through Steam!

#623 6 years ago

Just played Totan on switch TPA. Almost unplayable. I have it in docked mode, flipper lag is horrible, bad lag when ball is on the ramps. They better have some patches to smooth this up.

#624 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just played Totan on switch TPA. Almost unplayable. I have it in docked mode, flipper lag is horrible, bad lag when ball is on the ramps. They better have some patches to smooth this up.

It’s probably your TV. Make sure you’re in a “fast” or “game” mode. Turn off smooth-o-vision or any other post-processing and you’ll see that lag minimized. Plays fine on mine docked.

#625 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s probably your TV. Make sure you’re in a “fast” or “game” mode. Turn off smooth-o-vision or any other post-processing and you’ll see that lag minimized. Plays fine on mine docked.

Ha! You reminded me of that. I’ll have to check that vs handheld, I did think it was odd as the stern one is fine... but when the ball returns on the clear ramps, ugh it’s laggy :/

3 weeks later
#626 5 years ago

Anyone picking up Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze?

#627 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I have it on Wii U, but I’m double dipping. It’s that good. If you love classic side scrolling platformers, it’s one of the best ever.

#628 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have it on Wii U, but I’m double dipping. It’s that good. If you love classic side scrolling platformers, it’s one of the best ever.

Ordered mine on Amazon. Be here Monday.

#629 5 years ago

Such a good game only better now as funky kong will be a good player for your SO or child to use.

I need to snag Kirby and DK still.

#630 5 years ago

I've been following the Switch emulation scene in the last couple of weeks. There are currently two emulators in development: Yuzu and Ryujinx. From what I've read both teams are keeping it fair and competitive, without being hostile towards one or the other. Competition between software developers is healthy, as long as everyone involved remains objective and people don't actively try to take sides and say one is consistently better than the other, or wish one of them dominates and the other fails.

From what I can see so far, Ryujinx on average in some cases is slower than Yuzu, but seems to be much more accurate. Here is a comparison between the two using the same games, the first is homebrew and the second is a commercial game.

Here is a video discussing the state of Switch emulation:

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Although I have a Wii U, I have never played it, actually I have never played any dkc games. I have been playing this since yesterday evening, and it is pretty good. I am terrible at it, but I keep picking it up throughout the day.

#632 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

got mine yesterday
8B909DA0-5371-4139-B7A1-E131AEBBA06B (resized).jpeg8B909DA0-5371-4139-B7A1-E131AEBBA06B (resized).jpeg

#633 5 years ago

Hahah you hijack a shipping box

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

got mine yesterday

I think you got mine as well...

#635 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

got mine yesterday

Costco?

#636 5 years ago

I'm a collector (of sorts). "bricks" like the one above are highly sought after by collectors that buy into the whole [grading] thing because it allows them to get an [U] rating (uncirculated)

#637 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There are currently two emulators in development: Yuzu and Ryujinx. From what I've read both teams are keeping it fair and competitive, without being hostile towards one or the other. Competition between software developers is healthy, as long as everyone involved remains objective and people don't actively try to take sides and say one is consistently better than the other, or wish one of them dominates and the other fails.

Yes, that worked out wonderfully for the SNES emulation community lol... RIPPPPPPP People will ALWAYS take sides.

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I'm a collector (of sorts). "bricks" like the one above are highly sought after by collectors that buy into the whole [grading] thing because it allows them to get an [U] rating (uncirculated)

I want to slap anyone who “collects” this way. Kudos to you for taking advantage of them though. Morons.

#639 5 years ago

I can get a NIB switch (CL) for $260. Tell me if that’s a good price and why I should buy this game system.

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I can get a NIB switch (CL) for $260. Tell me if that’s a good price and why I should buy this game system.

It’s a good price cuz it’s $299 normally and you should get it if you love fun.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think it depends on how much Nintendo nostalgia you have and whether you have a console already. Major nostalgia? Then yes. Have the other consoles? Then yes.

Otherwise if you're going to buy one console save money and by an Xbox One or PS4. The game selection on those is just so far beyond the switch right now. I can't even get my kids to play the switch, it's either ipad or xbox. They don't have nostalgia though, and that's the problem.

#642 5 years ago

Yeah I already have an Xbox One and I like the idea of a good portable system with good games. Liked the original Zelda on NES and the new one looks pretty amazing.

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Yeah I already have an Xbox One and I like the idea of a good portable system with good games. Liked the original Zelda on NES and the new one looks pretty amazing.

Then it would be worth getting probably. It's fun for Mario, Zelda, and a few others. I play it when my kids are at practices sometimes but rarely at home.

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Zelda is amazing. It’s great in portable mode or docked and playing at home. Nostalgia helps, but the games stand on their own merit and no one else can touch them in terms of art direction, music, and pure gameplay.

I watched some “gameplay” video of the new God of War for PS4 since it’s getting tons of hype. I just don’t get it. At all. Hyper-realism has no “style”...the game seems to be non-stop cut scenes and talking. I could tell I’d be bored of it very quickly. Realistic skin & grass will never be as impressive to me as Nintendo’s whimsical approach to art direction, and non-stop talking will never be as engaging as great gameplay design.

If you like classic Nintendo IP, Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart 8 are must haves. If you wanna try newer IP, Splatoon 2 is phenomenal (I just passed the 345 hr mark on it lol), and if you like fighting games, ARMS is an incredible experience...fresh as hell.

#645 5 years ago

I love the switch, but come on, God of War was awesome. I couldn't stop playing it.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It does.
I wish you could take the top Joy-Con off like on Zen's, but it's still pretty good. Looks great, 60fps handheld or docked. Touchscreen flippers work nice in handheld as well.

There are some 3d printed options now for holding the Switch in portrait mode.

885E3A22-2784-4196-96DA-6326E9328516.png885E3A22-2784-4196-96DA-6326E9328516.png

#647 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Zelda is amazing. It’s great in portable mode or docked and playing at home. Nostalgia helps, but the games stand on their own merit and no one else can touch them in terms of art direction, music, and pure gameplay.
I watched some “gameplay” video of the new God of War for PS4 since it’s getting tons of hype. I just don’t get it. At all. Hyper-realism has no “style”...the game seems to be non-stop cut scenes and talking. I could tell I’d be bored of it very quickly. Realistic skin & grass will never be as impressive to me as Nintendo’s whimsical approach to art direction, and non-stop talking will never be as engaging as great gameplay design.
If you like classic Nintendo IP, Mario Odyssey & Mario Kart 8 are must haves. If you wanna try newer IP, Splatoon 2 is phenomenal (I just passed the 345 hr mark on it lol), and if you like fighting games, ARMS is an incredible experience...fresh as hell.

Don't overlook GoW it's the real deal. There is actually not a single camera cut the entire game. It's technically and graphically a master piece. The story is seemlessly intertwined into the gameplay. You could not be more wrong about cut scenes and talking. Sure the art style is personal opinion but GoW is one of those landmark games and one of the best games ever created. It deserves the perfect 10s it's getting. So far it's every bit as good as Zelda.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Don't overlook GoW it's the real deal. There is actually not a single camera cut the entire game. It's technically and graphically a master piece. The story is seemlessly intertwined into the gameplay. You could not be more wrong about cut scenes and talking. Sure the art style is personal opinion but GoW is one of those landmark games and one of the best games ever created. It deserves the perfect 10s it's getting. So far it's every bit as good as Zelda.

I know it’s all ps4 graphics and no FMV, but in the gameplay video I was watching, it was almost non-stop talking and tons of cool action that isn’t player controlled. “Realistic movie wannabe games” just instantly put me to sleep. As much as I’ve tried, I can’t get past more than an hour or so of Uncharted, Infamous, Batman Arkham, etc. It’s just not a design philosophy that hooks me. I might finally bite on a PS4 for the new Spider-Man...it looks like it has some quicktimes, but looks to have enough of the type of action I like. I also want the Shadow of the Colossus remake & Gravity Rush 2 looks really cool.

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know it’s all ps4 graphics and no FMV, but in the gameplay video I was watching, it was almost non-stop talking and tons of cool action that isn’t player controlled. “Realistic movie wannabe games” just instantly put me to sleep. As much as I’ve tried, I can’t get past more than an hour or so of Uncharted, Infamous, Batman Arkham, etc. It’s just not a design philosophy that hooks me. I might finally bite on a PS4 for the new Spider-Man...it looks like it has some quicktimes, but looks to have enough of the type of action I like. I also want the Shadow of the Colossus remake & Gravity Rush 2 looks really cool.

I love my switch but game like GoW highlight some of the hardware shortcomings. You have to admit seeing loadings screens and subbar performance in BotW was disappointing. Still an amazing game and I loved every minute. The combat in GoW is amazingly good, it seems like the video you are watching is just a few cinematic moments. When you actually play it it's all strategy and gameplay. Every fight is a challenge and very satisfying the big moments are paced just right, they are not the norm they are spectacle moments. The acting and story are amazing and never interrupt the flow. At no time have I ever felt that I wasn't completely in control, it's not on on rails kind of game. Kind of game no gamer should miss.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love my switch but game like GoW highlight some of the hardware shortcomings. You have to admit seeing loadings screens and subbar performance in BotW was disappointing. Still an amazing game and I loved every minute. The combat in GoW is amazingly good, it seems like the video you are watching is just a few cinematic moments. When you actually play it it's all strategy and gameplay. Every fight is a challenge and very satisfying the big moments are paced just right, they are not the norm they are spectacle moments. The acting and story are amazing and never interrupt the flow. At no time have I ever felt that I wasn't completely in control, it's not on on rails kind of game. Kind of game no gamer should miss.

I haven't picked up GoW yet but want to, it sounds pretty good. The problem I have currently with the Switch is that other than portability, it doesn't offer anything else for me. I own Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, etc but the online is awful compared to the Xbox plus it's missing all the best online games (Overwatch, Fortnite, Pubg, etc). So the key feature would be playing online outside of your house but it doesn't have the games I'd want to play. Nintendo's network doesn't even work with my home internet from AT&T, I have to play off a mobile hotspot, super annoying.

And like Rare Hero mentioned, if you like story, don't buy first party Nintendo games, stick to 3rd party games or other consoles. The first party games are all action and no fluff. Most of the time I like story except for a few cases like Far Cry 5 (but I could skip it all anyways, so it was like it had no story).

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/page/13?hl=moonduckie78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.