q2 (resized).png
20230615_101026 (resized).jpg
20230615_095125 (resized).jpg
20230615_095139 (resized).jpg
20230512_105453 (resized).jpg
20001188-83075a9c_ALT01 (resized).jpg
20230512_123701 (resized).jpg
yX4CYWE.jpg
MV5BOTY2NDY4OGUtYWE0Ni00NWZiLWI3NDktYmE2YWM3Njc3YmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTU1MjQ3._V1_ (resized).jpg
portal (resized).jpg

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 89.
#1 6 years ago

OK, this is probably the best if not one of the best video games I have EVER played. I'm not a Nintendo fan boy, and I'm getting old so I don't even play a ton anymore. But this game, WHOAAAH, freaking fantastic.

Anyone else?

#2 6 years ago

I just bought it today - mid 30s and I'm like this game is magic. Nintendo is really unbelievable as the game somehow brings it all back into a fantastic package. Along with Zelda, and the switch is insane right now.

#3 6 years ago

Following this. Been considering buying a switch. Didn't play our Wii u much.

#4 6 years ago

I am a young gamer again! This is how it makes me feel and I am 48.
Nintendo is truly the most amazing company EVER. They just keep the Mario franchise fresh and a absolute joy to play.
Finding all the hidden areas and other mini tasks in amazing worlds is just AWESOME.
Bought the Switch for this one game and am totally stoked.

TIME FOR A NEW MARIO PINBALL MAYBE ?????????????

#5 6 years ago

Wife and I have started it. Wonderfully fun

#6 6 years ago

Saw game play this week and for the first time since the N64 I was debating buying a Nintendo system. So glad they decide to ditch the stupid gimmicks and return to a 3D platformer.

#7 6 years ago

Hope they make Conkers bad fur Day remake for switch. Im in on my NIB video game this year!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Saw game play this week and for the first time since the N64 I was debating buying a Nintendo system. So glad they decide to ditch the stupid gimmicks and return to a 3D platformer.

Oh it still has lots of gimmicks too!
Its just plain ol fun!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I am a young gamer again! This is how it makes me feel and I am 48.
Nintendo is truly the most amazing company EVER. They just keep the Mario franchise fresh and a absolute joy to play.
Finding all the hidden areas and other mini tasks in amazing worlds is just AWESOME.
Bought the Switch for this one game and am totally stoked.
TIME FOR A NEW MARIO PINBALL MAYBE ?????????????

So I am your age as well and what I particularly love about this installment of Mario is the fact that the controls, especially the new ones, are easy to use the first time you play it. Love the freaking hat!!

#10 6 years ago

Incredible game Nintendo first party titles are unbeatable. Mario and zelda are unmatched in quality. I just spent all day looking for all the secrets within the levels and this reminds me of Mario galaxy but better

#11 6 years ago

I already have the Switch and I love playing Zelda on it. I am so happy to hear that the Mario game is a worthy successor to the N64 games we enjoyed. Welcome back Nintendo.

#12 6 years ago

I’ve been waiting over 20 years for this. It’s so good

#13 6 years ago

I haven’t got that yet but Breath of the Wild alone is worth buying a Switch.

#14 6 years ago

Just bought it today and can't wait to start it. Zelda BOTW was the best game I have ever played and can't wait to see what they've done to Mario!!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinG:

Just bought it today and can't wait to start it. Zelda BOTW was the best game I have ever played and can't wait to see what they've done to Mario!!

I know a little Axel thats getting a Switch, mario and zelda for xmas, or is it for me??

#16 6 years ago

Amazon delivered my copy today too, before I even have a chance to try it my son (btw, I'm also 48) comes to visit and starts playing. I've been watching him play while enjoying a Friday beverage, looks like a blast! Love the references to older Mario games, the graphics, controls, music and general plot.

Nintendo hit a home run here, just like with Zelda. My only complaint with BOTW is that the final battle was too easy, otherwise it's the best game ever (IMHO)

So glad I got the switch, Nintendo sure knows how to make killer games

#17 6 years ago

It's just absolutely phenomenal.

$60 on a $300 system.

WTF do we buy pinball machines?

Nintendo is killing it. BOTW, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and now Mario Odyssey. Plus all he great indie games - too many games on my Switch. Not enough time in the day.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hope they make Conkers bad fur Day remake for switch. Im in on my NIB video game this year!

Rare owns Conker & Microsoft owns Rare....not gonna happen. I love Conker on N64 still, tho.

#18 6 years ago

Good to see a bunch of happy Nintenbros!

Feel free to add me to your Switch friends list!

IMG_1246 (resized).JPGIMG_1246 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

You guys are seriously convincing me to go buy a switch and Zelda and Mario.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

You guys are seriously convincing me to go buy a switch and Zelda and Mario

+1
-Mike

#21 6 years ago

The first party software quality on Switch so far is impressive. It's not hype, it's the real deal. I'd passed on most Nintendo stuff(except 3ds) since Wii U launched, but the Switch hardware and software have blown me away. Nintendo has that special quality. Fun, creative, immersive games. Doesn't rely on shock or violence factor to draw you in.

#22 6 years ago

Loved Zelda. Was going to get Mario today .

#23 6 years ago

Wife got me a switch today

I'm a sucker for 3d marios takes me back to 3rd grade

Played a bit and not disappointed one bit.

But the 4 player on 3d world was nice

#24 6 years ago

I'm enjoying the picture taking feature.

IMG_2228.JPGIMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2229.JPGIMG_2229.JPG

#25 6 years ago

My 12 year old son is dying for one and we watched the Mario Odyssey video today. He wants it just for that game...Christmas I should earn some Dad points...

#26 6 years ago

Going to order one tonight. Mario & Zelda for me and Splatoon 2 for the kid-0 and me. Has anyone played Splatoon 2?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Going to order one tonight. Mario & Zelda for me and Splatoon 2 for the kid-0 and me. Has anyone played Splatoon 2?

I have 140 hours on Splatoon 2. Fun and addictive! ARMS is awesome too....and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Just get everything lol.

#28 6 years ago

yes - I have it and my 5 year old loves it. I basically keep it for her. She can't control too well so the roller is the best. It's a once a day thing and she really looks forward to it.

#29 6 years ago

Pulled the trigger!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have 140 hours on Splatoon 2. Fun and addictive! ARMS is awesome too....and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Just get everything lol.

Greg, have you played splatoon 1? If so, how do you like splatoon 2 comparatively? Same with new maps and weapons more or less? I love splatoon 1. Not getting switch at this time but may if my son asks for one for Xmas.

#31 6 years ago

I was playing indie games for the first 5 months of owning the switch, and now I am pretty deep into Zelda (on the 4th Devine beast). I am going to force myself to wait to buy Mario until I finish Zelda and a few of the indies. I have 19 games on my switch, and haven’t had time to play enough of them.

It is kinda sad that I know my pins will never come close to the playtime I get out of the switch. This is by far my favorite console ever, and at 46, I have played or owned most of them.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Greg, have you played splatoon 1? If so, how do you like splatoon 2 comparatively? Same with new maps and weapons more or less? I love splatoon 1. Not getting switch at this time but may if my son asks for one for Xmas.

Of course, I love Splatoon 1. Splatoon 2 kills it. Similar, but refined in almost every way. Online battles are more fun, IMO...the new levels really force you into tight battles that can turn on a dime. The Salmon Run mode is a totally new online cooperative mode that's super fun and challenging.

#33 6 years ago

I was gonna ask my kids for a popcorn maker for Xmas. Maybe that'll change to a Switch!

#34 6 years ago

I was just eyeing up WiiU’s on eBay...

Now I want a switch!

Late 30’s... HUGE Nintendo aficionado. They make great games, and great games do not necessarily need all the bling of cutting edge technology. Pinball is an obvious parallel.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Feels like 1.5 to me or an expansion pack. As a whole u owner I've played the guest and this is just extension of that but portable

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I was just eyeing up WiiU’s on eBay...
Now I want a switch!
Late 30’s... HUGE Nintendo aficionado. They make great games, and great games do not necessarily need all the bling of cutting edge technology. Pinball is an obvious parallel.

There's this his narrative that Nintendo systems are "weak", but do we play specs and teraflops or do we trust our eyes and minds? All of the systems now can do so much, it all comes down to art direction, sound design, gameplay. No "PC-master-race" maniac can convince me that Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, & ARMS aren't gorgeous amazing games. I don't care what your PC can do - it doesn't have these games, and these games look and play phenomenally. There's nothing "bad" about these graphics. Personally I find the mega-realistic games of PC/Xbox to be oft-putting and ugly. The games all look the same. Mannequins with pores and hair and creepy eyes. Or, guns floating in the frame in grey/drab backdrops. You can have it. Nintendo is making beautiful games that embrace being games.

On top of that, the hybrid nature of the system works perfectly and is something no other console can offer. I take my Switch to work every day. I love that I can take a quick game break exactly where I left off on my TV the night before. I love that I can remove the Joy-Cons, hand them to a friend and play ARMS, Street Fighter or Mario Kart. I love that I can take it to a friend's house and have an 8 player Splatoon war. I love that I can play it in bed....and any way you play it, it's a high quality modern experience.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's this his narrative that Nintendo systems are "weak", but do we play specs and teraflops or do we trust our eyes and minds? All of the systems now can do so much, it all comes down to art direction, sound design, gameplay. No "PC-master-race" maniac can convince me that Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, & ARMS aren't gorgeous amazing games. I don't care what your PC can do - it doesn't have these games, and these games look and play phenomenally. There's nothing "bad" about these graphics. Personally I find the mega-realistic games of PC/Xbox to be oft-putting and ugly. The games all look the same. Mannequins with pores and hair and creepy eyes. Or, guns floating in the frame in grey/drab backdrops. You can have it. Nintendo is making beautiful games that embrace being games.
On top of that, the hybrid nature of the system works perfectly and is something no other console can offer. I take my Switch to work every day. I love that I can take a quick game break exactly where I left off on my TV the night before. I love that I can remove the Joy-Cons, hand them to a friend and play ARMS, Street Fighter or Mario Kart. I love that I can take it to a friend's house and have an 8 player Splatoon war. I love that I can play it in bed....and any way you play it, it's a high quality modern experience.

All true Greg but I do feel like the WiiU really missed the mark. Even then, the games still looked great so many have a point when they feel like the gimicky control pad ruined the system. However, Nintendo has always competed on graphics until the WiiU came out. Even Resident Evil 4 on the Cube was known as one of the best looking and best games ever. Then with the Wii and WiiU, Nintendo just missed the mark. Even though the Wii sold millions, it left out the core gamers and instead Grandma and Grandpa were playing bowling. Not having HDMI and 1080P definitely hurt the WiiU. But, I get your point, in the end it's all about the games.

Anyway, one thing we are in agreement on...Nintendo is back!! Especially if XBox and Playstation keep putting out 90% first person shooters.

#38 6 years ago

Nintendo is still #3 and always will be, there's a reason for that and I could explain but I don't want Rarehero to hang himself Wii and the WiiU were disasters, I don't know anyone who owns a Switch and I doubt I will, becasue you know there adults, sorry I had to. I can't wait for the backlash from this comment, go.

#39 6 years ago

Mario Odyssey is amazing.
Mechanics are flawless. Some nice throwback 2D elements that never seem out of place. Made it through a couple of kingdoms so far and having a lot of fun exploring.

#40 6 years ago

I woke up at the crack of dawn to play Mario for a bit. Then my son woke up and played, passing it off to my daughter for a while. Now I am sitting on the couch playing in handheld mode watching the football game. Great system with great games.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

All true Greg but I do feel like the WiiU really missed the mark. Even then, the games still looked great so many have a point when they feel like the gimicky control pad ruined the system. However, Nintendo has always competed on graphics until the WiiU came out. Even Resident Evil 4 on the Cube was known as one of the best looking and best games ever. Then with the Wii and WiiU, Nintendo just missed the mark. Even though the Wii sold millions, it left out the core gamers and instead Grandma and Grandpa were playing bowling. Not having HDMI and 1080P definitely hurt the WiiU. But, I get your point, in the end it's all about the games.
Anyway, one thing we are in agreement on...Nintendo is back!! Especially if XBox and Playstation keep putting out 90% first person shooters.

You're confusing the Wii & the Wii U, which is why the Wii U failed - no one understood what it was. Wii U was a new system, 1080p & HDMI. That's why it was relatively easy for them to port Zelda BOTW & Mario Kart 8 from Wii U.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nintendo is still #3 and always will be, there's a reason for that and I could explain but I don't want Rarehero to hang himself Wii and the WiiU were disasters, I don't know anyone who owns a Switch and I doubt I will, becasue you know there adults, sorry I had to. I can't wait for the backlash from this comment, go.

No backlash - it's ok for you to say my toy is better than your toy

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Ooph, how much wrong is in this post.

Adults know the difference between "they're" and "there".

Everyone I play Switch with is an adult.

Wii was a smash success, it was Nintendo's best selling console ever.

Wii U failed due to a horrible name and bad marketing. I really enjoyed it though - it had enough great games to make me happy.

People who love to harp on the failure of Wii U forget Nintendo has made money hand over fist from dominating the portable market. The DS & 3DS have been absolutely prolific, with tons of quality software.

My Nintendo stock has been soaring, too. It's all good in Nintendoland. Your loss.

#44 6 years ago

The thing I hate about the new zelda is that the whole world looks like it's encompassed in fog. They had to make it like that because of the weak hardware. Play any other modern open world game and it looks crystal clear and beautiful as you look out into the distance. First time I played the new zelda I thought I needed to clean my glasses or something. It's still fun to play, but I wish it looked better than it does. It looks like a game that came out on the PS3 or Xbox 360 era.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The thing I hate about the new zelda is that the whole world looks like it's encompassed in fog.

Well, that just wrong. You can see far off into the distance and all the mountains and stuff you can actually get to. Only time it's foggy is if the weather is bad and it's intentional.

#46 6 years ago

My eight year old is a huge gamer. She loves her WiiU and the lego city police game, she's completed the JP game and the Lego game twice now but still goes back to play them again. Plays it for hours a day. She enjoys Zelda and a few others as well. My biggest complaint is the range of games available.... basically nothing...

I showed her some videos of the switch last night, guess Santa will be bringing one.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, that just wrong. You can see far off into the distance and all the mountains and stuff you can actually get to. Only time it's foggy is if the weather is bad and it's intentional.

If you are used to bad graphics than that's all you'll know. Play any other modern open world game, it looks much clearer than Zelda. There is a noticeable fog in Zelda, it is that way on purpose because the hardware can't render everything.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

My eight year old is a huge gamer. She loves her WiiU and the lego city police game, she's completed the JP game and the Lego game twice now but still goes back to play them again. Plays it for hours a day. She enjoys Zelda and a few others as well. My biggest complaint is the range of games available.... basically nothing...
I showed her some videos of the switch last night, guess Santa will be bringing one.

There are still lots of good Wii U games she could enjoy. There are 3 Zeldas - Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and BOTW. Kirby & the Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker.

Wii U rocks! In 10 years all the retro collectors will be paying tons for them.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

If you are used to bad graphics than that's all you'll know. Play any other modern open world game, it looks much clearer than Zelda. There is a noticeable fog in Zelda, it is that way on purpose because the hardware can't render everything.

You're looking at specs. I'm looking at art. Nothing about Zelda is "bad graphics". Looks like a beautiful painting in motion, with excellent character animation & AI. It's a pure joy to look at. Why is it that I can see Hyrule Castle and Gannon from miles and miles away? Clear as day. No fog.

#50 6 years ago

She has Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D world. My complaint, is when I go to the used game store, they have like 5 games for WiiU and 1000 for everything else.

Does the Switch come with games already installed?

There are 4,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.