(Topic ID: 263264)

Nintendo Emulation Question (Project64)

By marioparty34

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 4 years ago

Just discovered the world of old school gaming system emulation. For the life of me, I can't get any controllers to work with Project64. I have tried xbox, ps4, Qanaba joysticks none of those work but the keyboard works just fine.

Windows 10 sees the controller, but P64 won't let me map any of the controls. Is there a specific usb controller that works best with it?

Any tips?

#2 4 years ago

I've only used standard HID controllers with this emulator. I know the original Logitech Rumblepad works with it, the new one should as well.

#3 4 years ago

I am going to pickup a Rumble pad F510 and see. What front end do you use? Hyperspin? Launchbox? Other? None?

#4 4 years ago

I use a Xbox One controller with no issue. In Project64 alone, as well as in LaunchBox/Retroarche

#5 4 years ago

any Dinput/ xinput type controller should work fine? Maybe you need a different version of Project64

#6 4 years ago

I am using Project64 2.3.2.202

What version should I be using?

#7 4 years ago

Try this:

#8 4 years ago

Make sure you select the controller in the drop down menu vs keyboard. It may be something like Xinput or dinput. It’s been awhile since I’ve used pj64 but I’ve used it since the early days of 64 emulation. If you are new to emulation Retroarch may be a better solution for you, especially for consolidating video and controller settings. Feel free to shoot me a PM as I’ve been doing emulation since I was 7 years old Good luck!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I use a Xbox One controller with no issue. In Project64 alone, as well as in LaunchBox/Retroarche

Same here, works great, you need to install the drivers for the controller, but its not too hard.

#10 4 years ago

I tried that last night. Everything gets filled in for the controller mapping, but the controller still won't register during gameplay. So frustrating!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Same here, works great, you need to install the drivers for the controller, but its not too hard.

When I go to device manager the controller shows up (which makes me think Windows recognizes it), but I am unable to map the buttons or use the controller in a game.

#12 4 years ago

So I just tried reinstalling Project64 and this time I didn't check the "portable" install. I think one of the Youtube videos instructed me to check it. And that did it! I am finally able to play NFL Blitz!

Thanks all for your help!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nintendo-emulation-question-project64?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.