PXL_20230615_213012281 (resized).jpg
16868472117342296101486555053423 (resized).jpg
16868464900856775119706721526606 (resized).jpg
16868462388575157472113307038242 (resized).jpg
16868459723501322809520064238289 (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
16868456225046877711529820994187 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.
#1051 11 months ago

I installed my expressive speaker lighting into Foo Fighters and it's amazing! Only going to get better as Stern continues to code new light shows.

One note for those planning to do the same - the instructions suggest pointing installing the lights with wires pointing up. This won't work for Foo. The long orange wire isn't long enough to make it all the way down to the Expression lighting board. I even re-attached the added board as far back on the cabinet as I could, and there's still a lot of tension on that long orange wire when you open the speaker panel.

I think this product is exceptional, makes a big big difference in the immersion and is a very easy mod to install. Highly recommended!

#1052 11 months ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

I installed my expressive speaker lighting into Foo Fighters and it's amazing! Only going to get better as Stern continues to code new light shows.
One note for those planning to do the same - the instructions suggest pointing installing the lights with wires pointing up. This won't work for Foo. The long orange wire isn't long enough to make it all the way down to the Expression lighting board. I even re-attached the added board as far back on the cabinet as I could, and there's still a lot of tension on that long orange wire when you open the speaker panel.
I think this product is exceptional, makes a big big difference in the immersion and is a very easy mod to install. Highly recommended!

this is probably why the orange wire snapped on My Rush.

#1053 11 months ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Quoted from Jamesays:

this is probably why the orange wire snapped on My Rush.

Thanks for letting me know... I wonder if our wire templates got messed up somehow. I'll give it a look and make corrections. I'm so sorry you both have had trouble with that. If you need extra length, that's just a data wire and you can splice in just about anything to extend it.

#1054 11 months ago
Quoted from OutpostKodelia:

Thanks for letting me know... I wonder if our wire templates got messed up somehow. I'll give it a look and make corrections. I'm so sorry you both have had trouble with that. If you need extra length, that's just a data wire and you can splice in just about anything to extend it.

I spliced in another foot of wire to give it some slack.works great no big deal.

#1055 11 months ago

Mine hasn't snapped yet, it probably will the next time I pull down my speaker panel without paying attention. No big deal to splice it in if/when that happens.

OutpostKodelia my suggestion (along with double checking the length) is to consider how people will close up that speaker panel, which creates a lot of slack, and then connect the long orange and screw it into the cabinet. If that line is tightish, the first time they open the speaker panel up, it'll snap. It'd be super awkward and really tough to do it with the panel down though...kind of in a tough spot.

#1056 11 months ago

When I broke down my RUSH a few weeks ago and folded the head I had similar issues with the orange wire. We caught it just in time and where able to make it workable, however it was still tight and could have used some slack on that wire.

1 week later
#1057 10 months ago

Is there any updated on the Foo Fighters LE compatibility?
I'd love to get one of these kits but I'm assuming it's still not safe to order.

#1058 10 months ago
Quoted from SamW:

Is there any updated on the Foo Fighters LE compatibility?
I'd love to get one of these kits but I'm assuming it's still not safe to order.

If you're referring to our expressive light kits, then yes, they are absolutely Foo compatible.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods/page/21#post-7541620

#1059 10 months ago

If you're referring to our expressive light kits, then yes, they are absolutely Foo compatible.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods/page/21#post-7541620

Awesome. So would that be the Speaker Lights- Low Prof - w/ Interface Board for the FF LE?

#1060 10 months ago
Quoted from SamW:

Awesome. So would that be the Speaker Lights- Low Prof - w/ Interface Board for the FF LE?

That's the right kit, but the low profile is going to depend on the speakers you have or intend to have. If you're not certain which way to go, let me know your speaker situation and I'll point you to the right option.

#1061 10 months ago

That's the right kit, but the low profile is going to depend on the speakers you have or intend to have. If you're not certain which way to go, let me know your speaker situation and I'll point you to the right option.

I have the LE and I'm keeping the LE Standard Kenwood speakers.

#1062 10 months ago
Quoted from SamW:

I have the LE and I'm keeping the LE Standard Kenwood speakers.

Okay, then you just want the 'normal' rings.

#1063 10 months ago

Okay what am I missing here I'm trying to install the speaker light kits on my rush ... I have a pinwoofer installed.
Help

16864303734647541510478759075314 (resized).jpg16864303734647541510478759075314 (resized).jpg
#1064 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Okay what am I missing here I'm trying to install the speaker light kits on my rush ... I have a pinwoofer installed.
Help
[quoted image]

As stated in the instructions: "For non-factory speakers, remove any rings or spacers that were provided."

So you'll need to remove the black 3D printed spacers that are shown in your photo. The white NinjaCamp speaker light ring will have the black side facing downward directly onto the steel speaker plate. Like this:
IMG_2911 (resized).JPGIMG_2911 (resized).JPG

I believe there's a photo in the instructions that reflects this orientation as well as the reminder to keep the R and L on the correct side.

I'm using the "Low Profile Rotated" rings with my PinWoofer speakers so that I don't have to cut the posts down.

#1065 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

As stated in the instructions: "For non-factory speakers, remove any rings or spacers that were provided."
So you'll need to remove the black 3D printed spacers that are shown in your photo. The white NinjaCamp speaker light ring will have the black side facing downward directly onto the steel speaker plate. Like this:
[quoted image]
I believe there's a photo in the instructions that reflects this orientation as well as the reminder to keep the R and L on the correct side.
I'm using the "Low Profile Rotated" rings with my PinWoofer speakers so that I don't have to cut the posts down.

I talked to ninja And I said because I have a pro It's got 4 in spacers so I've got to order some five and a quarters

But that's okay I went ahead and put on the back box and the cabinet lights and all my expression lights and it's awesome!

#1066 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I talked to ninja And I said because I have a pro It's got 4 in spacers so I've got to order some five and a quarters
But that's okay I went ahead and put on the back box and the cabinet lights and all my expression lights and it's awesome!

Excellent! I'm looking forward to finishing the install on mine. I'm missing some screws to attach the speakers to these rotated rings but I should be able to get what I need when the hardware opens tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

#1067 10 months ago

Back box and cabinet lights are awesome...
And I don't have to tell you how awesome the expression lights are but I got all that installed today Just waiting on my speaker spacer to do the speakers... Just awesome!!

PXL_20230611_012248759 (resized).jpgPXL_20230611_012248759 (resized).jpg
#1068 10 months ago

Looks great! Mine are going into a Foo Fighters LE so I'm stoked. Like you, I went with the all-in-one. I have flame backbox and undercab lights on my Godzilla and love them, so having them integrated with the FF expression light show should be super fun.

#1069 10 months ago

Now we just need Ninjacamp to come out with a light kit for the topper.

#1070 10 months ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Now we just need Ninjacamp to come out with a light kit for the topper.

In process! Agree. If he can pull it off, I'm sure it will be next level. Left and right and maybe split them off the Backbox strip (if you have it) with a y connector so you don't have to go back to power. Probably not any more trial LEDs with the Backbox and topper combined than the cabinet lights run from as power draw perspective.

Thinking maybe two small strips on each side. 4 total
One in the cavity area between the back and gears and another in front of the albums.

#1071 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

In process! Agree. If he can pull it off, I'm sure it will be next level. Left and right and maybe split them off the Backbox strip (if you have it) with a y connector so you don't have to go back to power. Probably not any more trial LEDs with the Backbox and topper combined than the cabinet lights run from as power draw perspective.

Thinking maybe two small strips on each side. 4 total
One in the cavity area between the back and gears and another in front of the albums.

Yep, it's a work in progress. It'll work a little differently than our other light kits, but will be a similar premise. Cramming another 96 LEDs up there would be a lot of overkill, so I'm working on a way to pare that down a bit and still make things fit and sync nicely. There will be a new interface board down near the Node 2 again, but it will connect differently. From what I can tell, I can't really leverage the lighting in the topper itself since the topper's node board doesn't seem to work quite the same. But I have some stuff on order to build the prototype and I'm still developing the mounting hardware. But I hope to have a prototype or two out to folks for testing within a couple weeks.

#1072 10 months ago

Install was pretty easy, with pinwoofers. No fitment issues at all, as I knew there wouldn't be. Now stern needs a code update

#1073 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

[quoted image]

Do you have video of yours installed with the pinwoofer speakers? I want to do that but wonder what the speaker lights look like in action with the black pinwoofer speakers as opposed to the white Kenwoods that come with the LEs. Thanks!

#1074 10 months ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Do you have video of yours installed with the pinwoofer speakers? I want to do that but wonder what the speaker lights look like in action with the black pinwoofer speakers as opposed to the white Kenwoods that come with the LEs. Thanks!

Here you go, it looks great with the Pinwoofer speakers. The cones and tweeter are black but the cones have some shiny grid texture so they seem to reflect light quite well. Hayfarmer video above is with Pinwoofers also.

#1075 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

Here you go, it looks great with the Pinwoofer speakers. The cones and tweeter are black but the cones have some shiny grid texture so they seem to reflect light quite well. Hayfarmer video above is with Pinwoofers also.

Looks great indeed!! Thank you!

#1076 10 months ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

Quoted from RoadQueen:

Looks great indeed!! Thank you!

Hey RoadQueen ! You'll also get superior sound quality with our speaker.

Here is a past post from Desmodromic showing what he did with his Bond:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-official-owners-club-rock-aliens/page/49#post-7565247

Good times!

#1077 10 months ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey RoadQueen ! You'll also get superior sound quality with our speaker.
Here is a past post from Desmodromic showing what he did with his Bond:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighters-official-owners-club-rock-aliens/page/49#post-7565247
Good times!

Yes, already have Pinwoofer on my GZ and GNR and love it! Still waiting on my FF before I order another one. Thanks for the link.

#1078 10 months ago

Lots of PinWoofer customer posts here. Love the light shows, but these vids capture some great audio - super uplifting to watch and listen!

#1079 10 months ago

Hey anyone that has installed expressive speaker lights on the Pro, is the general consensus for aesthetics to remove the piece of foam so you can see the lights and the speaker better?
16868421452588115133873753958260 (resized).jpg16868421452588115133873753958260 (resized).jpg16868421677594805871004314964904 (resized).jpg16868421677594805871004314964904 (resized).jpg

#1080 10 months ago

I would probably remove the foam. I used it on my GZ with the flame speaker lights as it helps to diffuse the LEDs and the flames look "smoother" with it in place, but the Expressive lights often times have multiple colors lit at the same time and it's part of the look. Also, the clear material that they use to 3D print the speaker light rings does a good job of diffusing already.

#1081 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

I would probably remove the foam. I used it on my GZ with the flame speaker lights as it helps to diffuse the LEDs and the flames look "smoother" with it in place, but the Expressive lights often times have multiple colors lit at the same time and it's part of the look. Also, the clear material that they use to 3D print the speaker light rings does a good job of diffusing already.

Thanks I'm going to remove it.
Now I run into a different issue where are the upright posts from my speaker adapter barely clear the low profile expressive lights And I'm not sure how to secure the pinwoofer speaker to it?

16868436948368273122658751773538 (resized).jpg16868436948368273122658751773538 (resized).jpg16868437261756086686079905317672 (resized).jpg16868437261756086686079905317672 (resized).jpg
#1082 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Thanks I'm going to remove it.
Now I run into a different issue where are the upright posts from my speaker adapter barely clear the low profile expressive lights And I'm not sure how to secure the pinwoofer speaker to it?[quoted image][quoted image]

You ordered the low profile rings. You need to cut 1/2" off the posts. The post will secure only the bottom tab. The included screws will mount the speaker to the top tab. Some people have a tough time getting the included screws to work, in which case, switch them out for #8x1/2" screws. This photo shows you what I'm talking about.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1083 10 months ago

You ordered the low profile rings. You need to cut 1/2" off the posts. The post will secure only the bottom tab. The included screws will mount the speaker to the top tab. Some people have a tough time getting the included screws to work, in which case, switch them out for #8x1/2" screws. This photo shows you what I'm talking about.
[quoted image]

Ok thanks.
Meanwhile I've cut the posts and the panhead screws are too short as you indicated. I've moved to plan B. Zip ties!!
I actually think this might be the best and simplest solution.

16868456225046877711529820994187 (resized).jpg16868456225046877711529820994187 (resized).jpg
#1084 10 months ago

There's a Low Profile Rotated option that allows you keep the posts as-is, which is the way I went as I didn't want to cut down the posts on my LE. The sheet metal screws didn't work to attach the speakers so as OutpostKodelia notes, I sourced some screws and nylock nuts locally to mount the speaker to the Expressive light ring. I ended up designing and printing some little (white in the picture) overtravel spacers and putting them in between so I could tighten them down without overstressing the tab on the Expressive ring or the speaker flange. This solution worked very well.
IMG_2927 (resized).JPGIMG_2927 (resized).JPG

#1085 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

There's a Low Profile Rotated option that allows you keep the posts as-is, which is the way I went as I didn't want to cut down the posts on my LE. The sheet metal screws didn't work to attach the speakers so as OutpostKodelia notes, I sourced some screws and nylock nuts locally to mount the speaker to the Expressive light ring. I ended up designing and printing some little (white in the picture) overtravel spacers and putting them in between so I could tighten them down without overstressing the tab on the Expressive ring or the speaker flange. This solution worked very well.
[quoted image]

Yeah that's a good idea. I may have done that except I have a pro and I had to order the 5.25 in adapters from pinball Life anyway to make this work. I've got the original plates which I'll never need actually cuz it's bolted lol. If I did I resell it it would all go together. And of course I waited long enough for these guys to get in here and they're going in TODAY!

But here's the final solution with bolts cut and the zip ties. I doubled up zip ties because there's enough room for it.
Off to do the right speaker... This one's going to go a lot faster since I've made it through all the obstacles.

16868459723501322809520064238289 (resized).jpg16868459723501322809520064238289 (resized).jpg

#1086 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Yeah that's a good idea. I may have done that except I have a pro and I had to order the 5.25 in adapters from pinball Life anyway to make this work. I've got the original plates which I'll never need actually cuz it's bolted lol. If I did I resell it it would all go together.
But here's the final solution with the zip ties I doubled up zip ties because there's enough room for it.[quoted image]

It might not make much of a difference aside from the direction of the light animations, but I believe the instructions say to flip the light ring so that the black layer faces downward, on the speaker plate side. My bad, correct orientation is with black face toward the speaker.

#1087 10 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

It might not make much of a difference aside from the direction of the light animations, but I believe the instructions say to flip the light ring so that the black layer faces downward, on the speaker plate side.

I read that part about three times... It says the side of the expressive light ring that is black and shows the letter will face up and away from the middle grill plate. We recommend installing the ring with the wires at the top this will make the bottom of the ring act as center of the light so they wrap up around each side of the ring.

I put the black side up which is how I read the instructions And I didn't think much about the orientation because it said the wires were supposed to go at the top which is what I did... We shall see shortly!! Thanks for calling that out. Hopefully I'm understanding that as I really don't want to undo them!!

16868462388575157472113307038242 (resized).jpg16868462388575157472113307038242 (resized).jpg

16868464900856775119706721526606 (resized).jpg16868464900856775119706721526606 (resized).jpg
#1088 10 months ago

Ok so from the top mounting the left where the power wires are, isn't long enough to reach the power... And I've got power just lying in the back box channel in the middle for now...
Now what am I doing wrong?

16868472117342296101486555053423 (resized).jpg16868472117342296101486555053423 (resized).jpg
#1089 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I read that part about three times... It says the side of the expressive light ring that is black and shows the letter will face up and away from the middle grill plate. We recommend installing the ring with the wires at the top this will make the bottom of the ring act as center of the light so they wrap up around each side of the ring.
I put the black side up which is how I read the instructions And I didn't think much about the orientation because it said the wires were supposed to go at the top which is what I did... We shall see shortly!! Thanks for calling that out. Hopefully I'm understanding that as I really don't want to undo them!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, interesting! Maybe I've got mine backward. Not sure if I had older instructions or if I just somehow flipped it. Will have to get in there and take a look.

Quoted from Vespula:

Ok so from the top mounting the left where the power wires are, isn't long enough to reach the power... And I've got power just lying in the back box channel in the middle for now...
Now what am I doing wrong?[quoted image]

The instruction screenshot you shared says that you can also mount the rings with the wires turned to the LCD screen side rather than the top. I ended up fiddling around with mine and got them to work with the wires at the top but it sounds like a few others have run into this as well. I'll probably spin mine around to the inside just to ensure that there's enough slack as I don't want to deal with splicing into the harness.

#1090 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I had to rotate my ninja rings to about a 1:00 position to reach. I did install with the l and r facing up

#1091 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Okay, so you have a kit from before I realized this was a problem. There are two ways you can address this. 1) Rotate the speaker rings so the wire bundle points to the middle (I actually prefer this orientation these days and use it this way in my own games, that's actually why I didn't realize they were too short at first), or 2) you can splice in a little extra wire on those red/black power lines. Also, make sure the power supply is slid as far to the left as you can get it... you should be able to get it to line up with the edge of the left hole into the lower cab, fully under the wire guide loop. This helps with the length situation as well.

#1092 10 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I did install with the l and r facing up

Quoted from Vespula:

It says the side of the expressive light ring that is black and shows the letter will face up and away from the middle grill plate

Yes, this is correct. Black side faces the speaker. The very first version of the instructions (for just the light rings, way back before the all-in-one kits) had this backwards but it was corrected within a couple days.

#1093 10 months ago

Yes, this is correct. Black side faces the speaker. The very first version of the instructions (for just the light rings, way back before the all-in-one kits) had this backwards but it was corrected within a couple days.

Thank you! I'm going to rotate the light rings anyway so I'll flip while I'm in there. Earlier post edited to avoid confusion.

#1094 10 months ago

I’ve got my standard rings, wires facing towards the LCD screen. Just be careful mounting, and watch those wires on the rings, it’s a tight fit but works.

Didn’t have any issue with wire length, just wanted it set slightly different than others, at the beginning of all these NC light kits extravaganza

#1095 10 months ago

I got your Scooby mods some time ago. Finally got my game yesterday. When adding the mods I have 2 questions.

Airfield sign - screw is not long enough to reach the nut through the sign - do you know what size the screw is so I can get a longer one?

Gate - how does this install? I can feel screws on the back side of the rock formation on the upper PF so I am assuming they are what need to be removed to change out the gate. Do I need to take off the entire front rock formation to do this?

Please advise

Thanks

#1096 10 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I got your Scooby mods some time ago. Finally got my game yesterday. When adding the mods I have 2 questions.
Airfield sign - screw is not long enough to reach the nut through the sign - do you know what size the screw is so I can get a longer one?
Gate - how does this install? I can feel screws on the back side of the rock formation on the upper PF so I am assuming they are what need to be removed to change out the gate. Do I need to take off the entire front rock formation to do this?
Please advise
Thanks

Instructions for the gate install can be found here: http://mjf.me/Pinball/Scooby%20Doo%20Spider%20Gate%20Installation.pdf

As to the airfield sign, I wonder if they've started using a shorter screw... You're the first person to report that not being long enough. I'm not sure of the size at the moment, but I can look into it this evening. Alternatively, you can take that existing screw into a Home Depot or Ace Hardware and use their testers to figure it out and get a slightly longer one. If I had to guess, it's a #8-32 screw, but I won't know for sure until I dismantle it and pull it out for verification.

#1097 10 months ago

Instructions for the gate install can be found here: http://mjf.me/Pinball/Scooby%20Doo%20Spider%20Gate%20Installation.pdf
As to the airfield sign, I wonder if they've started using a shorter screw... You're the first person to report that not being long enough. I'm not sure of the size at the moment, but I can look into it this evening. Alternatively, you can take that existing screw into a Home Depot or Ace Hardware and use their testers to figure it out and get a slightly longer one. If I had to guess, it's a #8-32 screw, but I won't know for sure until I dismantle it and pull it out for verification.

Thanks.

Just didn't know if HD/Lowes would have a screw this small. Not sure if mine is smaller than normal or not but when installing on the plastic it definitely won't reach the nut. Should be an easy fix with a longer screw though.

#1098 10 months ago

SUCCESS!
Thanks to everyone here who helped make this possible!

PXL_20230615_213012281 (resized).jpgPXL_20230615_213012281 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1099 9 months ago

Can I purchase mods anywhere other than the pinside shop? Pinside doesn't allow PayPal and I'd like to use that.

#1100 9 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Can I purchase mods anywhere other than the pinside shop? Pinside doesn't allow PayPal and I'd like to use that.

Just contact the sellers in their store directly by PM, they will advise you.
I have had most accommodate that. It's pinside limitation, not a seller limitation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
DEAD POOL (PRO) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.