You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220918_135851 (resized).jpg
20220918_135836 (resized).jpg
20220918_135845 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220917-090321.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I have a new to me Nine Ball. When I bought the pin, the ball would kick out and drain properly.Basically the game played the way it should.
After getting it home, everything works except the ball launch and drain. All other solenoid and switches seem to work so far. I checked J1 pin 2,3,5 and re-flowed the solder on those pins. But no change.
Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Three balls in the trough? Did you check and adjust the trough switches?

Yes, 3 balls and switches checked with a the DMM.

Quoted from frunch:

Both of those switches are on Strobe 4 of the switch matrix (the top and bottom positions in that column). There should be a yellow-red wire daisy-chained between the 8 switches on that strobe. I would check all 8 of those switches for a broken yellow-red wire or diode leg etc.
[quoted image]

I checked each wire and diode in the switch matrix that you highlighted. Diodes tested good with a DMM and all wires were soldered good. I also checked for continuity to each switch and that was good also.

#6 1 year ago

I got a regular mpu200. I'll give this a shot and report back. Thank you for the file!

#7 1 year ago

I flashed the M2716 chips and at boot up the "spot all number" out hole keeps kicking. The Displays also show the high score but does not switch over to the last game score.

#9 1 year ago

Gotcha, I adjusted the switch for the "spot all number" and now the ball launches and cycles like it should. But midway in game play, the game acts as if it tilts and locks up until the ball drains. After that...., ball kicks out, then scores and it locks up again. never seen that before.

#10 1 year ago

I think that there is still something wrong with the switch metric. I spin the spinner and the game act as if it tilted.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yep switch matrix issues for sure. If you temporarily put in the test ROM from pinwiki its switch test tells you all the closed switches to help track down single switches that register multiple closures.

I'm not familiar with the test roms for Bally/Stern. I have them for Williams equipment. Where can I find this?

#14 1 year ago

Hey this file is great! It needs to be pasted or linked to the PinWiki site for sure.

So I burned the ROM, installed and found that I forgot to pull the pinball's out. I had error 10, 23, 40. Once I pulled the pinball's out, there were no more errors. Interesting enough, after experimenting to see what all the ROM will do, I swapped chips out and booted the pin up. I found that the pinball's cycled like it should. So now I have an unexplained fix to my problem.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's odd for sure. So with pinballs in the trough only you had 10, #2 drop target/23, right 3 bank mid target/40, ball shooter lane switch closed instead of 01/02/03 troughs closed? (did you have the other drops up though?)

All drops targets was up but the one. I never saw 01/02/03 troughs closed though.

#18 1 year ago

I got some new issues that cropped up. And I probable will until I work all the bugs out. This time the game scores some point and hits switch 17, (top dead bumper) the score resets, adds more score to the game, then locks up until the ball drains.
I'm going to take a close look at the header pins on the MPU and re-pin the connectors to see if that makes a difference. There has been battery damage to the board at one time and was repaired before I got it.

I'm also in need of a 32 pin ribbon cable to replace the damaged one that goes to the sound card.

20220918_135836 (resized).jpg20220918_135836 (resized).jpg20220918_135845 (resized).jpg20220918_135845 (resized).jpg20220918_135851 (resized).jpg20220918_135851 (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago

After closer inspection, I'm going to replace the board with a Weebly board. and rebuild the damaged one and use it as a test board.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/File:Sco_testrom.zip
Looks like it got unlinked assuming it ever was linked... No wonder no one knows about it....

To catch this thread up to date. Changing the MPU did not make any difference so far. There must be a bad connection somewhere. At this time the pin will boot up just fine with a new Weebly MPU, but will not start a game. Using the test ROM in the switch test mode, with all drop targets up and no balls in the trough, I get a zero on the switch indicator and when pressed the switches show as they should. The trough switches do register as they should.

I've checked all connections and repined connectors on the MPU. So far, I am at a loss on what to check other than continuity from the start button wire to the MPU.

Edit: Continuity is good from the start button switch to the MPU.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Time to start with the test rom (it's included on the weebly board IIRC, but if it isn't, some of the other custom software on it has the enhanced switch test) and combinations of switches. When you drop certain switches you should get ONLY those switches showing closed, any extras or wrong switches would point to a short on the matrix against something (bulb socket/solenoid bracket, etc) or shorted diodes.

I'll do it 1st thing when I get home today.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Seems silly to ask but you did not mention, did you adjust the dips on the new MPU to put the game set as Nine Ball and put it on free play (if you ordered the “non rom chips” one)?

I didn't know that you buy an MPU with no chips. I got one with the chips that Andrew set up. But I will double check the dips.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Time to start with the test rom (it's included on the weebly board IIRC, but if it isn't, some of the other custom software on it has the enhanced switch test) and combinations of switches. When you drop certain switches you should get ONLY those switches showing closed, any extras or wrong switches would point to a short on the matrix against something (bulb socket/solenoid bracket, etc) or shorted diodes.

I looked at the sheet that Andrew provided and I could not find a test of any kind on there.

Edit: Key word is "some of the other custom software on it has the enhanced switch test"

I took the other MPU and installed the test Rom. I touched every switch that I could find and none of the switches showed double numbers. I did however did find switches that do not register. It is switches 34, 38, 39 and the trough switches 33, 36, and 37.

Its the whole column that is bad.

#27 1 year ago

Clipped all 8 diodes and they still don't register in the test.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That column is out then. Try a jumper on the input pins.

Not quite sure I understand what your talking about. Am I trying to jumper the pins to ground because that don't seem to work. Or am I running a jumper wire from the Yellow-Red on the MPU to the Playfield?

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Jumper from column connector to row connector to make sure board sees it. No diode needed.

Quoted from barakandl:

The connector pins are labeled ST for strobes and RT on the replacement board. Strobes are the columns and returns (I) are the rows. The drive the column, read each row.
If two MPUs behave the same, the issue is probably from the female side of the connector to the playfield.

Thank you for your explanation, I found the problem, but I'm embarrassed to say that it was my fault.. When I repined the connector the other day, I placed the wire into the wrong position on the connector.

#34 1 year ago

I am up and playing pinball! I forgot to solder the diode on the trough switch, so it was making an iffy connection.

#35 1 year ago

barakandl
I have spoken to soon. While I was trying to find the wiring problem. I was using the old board with the test ROM on it. I never could get your board into the diagnostic menu. Well I started having problems with the old board, so I put yours in. I still can not start a game or go into the diagnostic menu with your board. So I still must have something wrong or I messed up your board somehow.

Quoted from barakandl:

push the test button on the mpu. if it works then you have another wiring issue. Pin 1 of the bottom right mpu plug is one of the test button. The other end of the test button is a ground return that goes to the SDB, the 15 pin plug on the left side, forget designation.
You can check that one of the buttons legs is ground and the other test button leg goes to the MPU connector. Can test the button by shorting across its leads.

When I push the test button, the MPU reboots.

OK, I found the test button that gets you into the diag menu. When I press all 3 trough buttons, it only shows one number. not all three. Hmm

#36 1 year ago

Im looking at another connector problem. I'm using an Bally connector pinout to check the Stern pinout and I found a couple of wires out of place. There also is a white wire on the Stern connector that is not on the Bally call out.

Is there a connector pinout for a Stern out there?

Anyone have a picture of A4J3?

#37 1 year ago

barakandl

Still not able to start a game. I think that I got the connector wired correctly.

Still not able to do a good switch test with the Weebly board. For some reason, it does not show multiple switches that are depressed, just single switches.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The functions to show more switches is something that Quench and I added to some software. You'd have to select one of those games or the test rom suite to be able to show that information.

That is a cool function that you and Quench wrote! What games has that option and where is the test rom suite at?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 959.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brewchap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-will-not-kick-ball-out-for-play?tu=Brewchap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.