IMG_5916 (resized).JPG
IMG_5913 (resized).JPG
DSCF3180-Edit (resized).jpg
IMG_5915 (resized).JPG
IMG_5911 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.43.38 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.40.54 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 2.21.45 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Ooof.... yeah auto-tracing does that sometimes. This kind of thing always needs a combo of vector and bitmap to pull off.

Mirco swears he doesn't use auto-trace, but these examples are CLEAR hallmarks of autotrace-fail.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe he hires this work out to a sub contractor.
The “quality” is typical of what you find from Indian companies that do this sort of thing. Lots of auto trace and no clean up along with not even looking at an accurate reference file.

I don't really care who does the work (he could get a competent subcontractor if he tried and paid a decent fee - even in India or southeast Asia), but the fact that he continuously denies using auto-trace when the obvious hallmarks of auto-trace are right there in the thick/blobby lines when compared to the original art is the part that drives me crazy. Who does he think he's kidding?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

how do you know all of this? You are telling me you know what he paid? Care to share the secret?

Well, if he's hiring subcontractors that rely solely on autotrace, as evidenced by the bad black lines and blobs of black where there's supposed to be fine pixels in the art, then he's not paying enough to attract the actual talent. It's really not that hard to understand. But he still denies autotrace is even used, when it CLEARLY is, so good luck getting him to find the good subs.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"if"? Don't feed me with "if". Is he or isn't he? And why should it matter? Sounds to me like you are...ah...sort of guessing.

I didn't bring up subcontractors. You'll have to talk to whyisnow for that. But whether he is or is not using cheap subs, the POINT is shortcuts are being taken that make the end product worse. Autotrace is okay for large clean areas, but should not be used for fine detail, and yet it IS being used. Anyone that uses illustrator can recognize it. He can deny it all he wants, but the proof is in the art.

Quoted from cottonm4:

We have a Nine Ball play field coming. And after a long time of people crying for a Nine Ball play field.
And now some who are dying of thirst are not happy unless they can get a shot whiskey to go with their water.

Again, the POINT is, if you're going to do something, why half-ass it? If all the autotrace issues with the shading, etc on the balls is fixed that would be great, but we'll have to see. Past experience with Mirco indicates only the bare minimum will be done. We'll see...I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't really care, but the autotrace denials, especially, really drive me crazy.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

As the print file does not use any vectors at all - this is simply WRONG.
Regards,
Mirco

You can play all the semantic games you want, but SOME KIND of automated process was used on the art. The thickened black lines are a dead giveaway.

Here's only the problems with the 9 ball itself - one small area of the playfield:

1> The fine detail of the black shading is melded into a giant black blob on yours. This is a HALLMARK of autotrace or SIMILAR plugins. This WAS NOT DONE BY HAND unless the person was blind. Also when it gets too fine at the top end, yours just omits the shading entirely. The angular "icicles" at the top end of your shading blob also don't look anything like the original.

2> The fine shading detail at the top right of the ball is just missing on yours. Also the orange "icicles" are just totally different on yours by this area.

3> The inner circle around the 9 is wrong on yours and the 9 is too thick at the back and hook at the bottom front.

4> The "shine" white detail is too angular on yours.

5> The yellow band stops abruptly too soon on yours. It descends well below the outer 9 circle on the original.

6> The shine blob detail on the original has a more complicated shape than the one on yours.
mirco-9-ball (resized).jpgmirco-9-ball (resized).jpg

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

F*ck, you didn't even point out the biggest difference... (Circled in green..)

I did, I called them orange "icicles." Called them out on both sides on different numbers. Guess I should have called them lightning or flames, but they were pointy at the ball, like icicles, so that's what they became.

#83 3 years ago

Thanks a lot for the list, this really helps me! The master I had was touched up in these areas and it was not clearly visible on the pics I found. Only question I have left is - can you email me the scan of the middle ball? The better the details are the better the result would be.
I have some great scans from cottonm4, thanks a lot for them!
We have to work on some other projects right now but I will try to get into the art during this week...
More playfields are prepared to print another test but I have no time on the printer except on the weekend. So let's get the file completed till Friday and we can get it done!
Regards,
Mirco

This is a remake done in less than an hour, from scratch. It's not an issue of bad art, it's an issue of bad/lazy artist.

EDIT: Looking at that source playfield SOME of these errors were from the bad touchup donor playfield, but not all of them. Also, great example of why turning the art to the community before running them is a good idea.

Nine-Ball-Compare-fixed.jpgNine-Ball-Compare-fixed.jpg
#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

can mirco just hire you please!

I don't need any more work, and I'm really more of a motivated amateur when it comes to art like this.

Quoted from Coyote:

Fix the lower left insert keyline, and you're a god.

Haha, I was just posting an example to show that it is possible to do it well without THAT much time. I'm sure there are other little things I missed, and the shape of some of the fine dots are circles instead of triangular because I decided at IRL res it wouldn't be possible to tell the difference.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

"ORIGNAL ART" was that a joke?

A little extra for those paying attention.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I understand wanting to "get it right" but honestly, pinball has a "Quick and Dirty" kind of history.
Think about it: anyone care to look under their Firepower and tell us if they have the "brick bottom" version or plain?
Or if their Firepower has the routed details underneath to accommodate drop targets?
Do we want to talk about the differences on Sorcerer colors?

Of course that whole firepower cost less than this playfield alone. There is an expectation of quality when the prices head for the rafters.

Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'm pretty thrilled that a Nine Ball playfield is happening and don't have a huge issue with some of these minute details, say in the final 0 of 77,000...or even the lightning on the 9 Ball itself...who cares? It isn't going to impact your score for good or ill.
If it was printed on a t-shirt like that I'd wear the shirt.
What Mirco is doing seems like a much better deal than the missing text on Meteor playfields recently done by Stu & Co.

Sure, but it could have been avoided in each case if the prospective to-print candidate art had been shown to the community first and errors vetted (for free, no less) BEFORE printing. It's not a hard concept to grasp and will BENEFIT Mirco and any other producers of playfields and plastics, but Mirco staunchly resists this for reasons that are completely opaque.

1 week later
#108 3 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Happy to recieve the Nine Ball repro playfield today from Mirco. Looks fantastic Highclasspinball !
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

EDIT: So this was apparently someone who voluntarily accepted the broken test print version. Disregard the text below, Mirco is still fixing the issues.

I thought he said he was going to fix some of the glaring issues before he printed more and shipped, like the word "lights" being on the playfield missing the "L" so it says "ights" as well as the atrociously bad/wrong 9 ball art in the middle. But you have one with the mistakes still on it he sent you in exchange for your good money.

So much for that promise...

#111 3 years ago

Calm down...this is only the test print. He is still fixing the file for the main production run. I voluntarily took this 1st version from Mirco.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Just adding that you received the broken TEST PRINT version voluntarily in your original post would have avoided panic.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Much better but still some details.
We really need your artist to work on attention to the details.
Each red circle is something I found in 5min that needs refinement.
Some things are wrong colors (compass near center drain, yellow swoosh tail to right of 5 ball)
Somethings are basic art stuff like a flat feeling white reflection due to the shape of that cresent moon being wrong.)
Some stuff is subtle but important aspects like comma tail being different
[quoted image]

Your keyline on the 9 ball is running ON TOP of the lightning on the left. I need to check the original art, but logic dictates it should be OVER the keyline for the ball since the lightning is in front of/on top of the ball.

EDIT: Confirmed with original art. The keyline running on top of the lightning is a mistake in the new mirco revised art.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here you go. Click on Highclasspinball and you can see all of the pics.

He has a single graphic image of the playfield. Why not just make that available as a jpg to proof instead of flipping through 5 or 6 shots of an actual playfield from random angles? It would make checking so much easier. The resolution would be too low to copy, if that's what he's worried about, so...

2 weeks later
#141 3 years ago

We are printing nineball today and will have pics of the final version end of the week. I expect then to ship early or mid next week.
Thanks a lot for the help with the files!
Regards,
Mirco

AGAIN? Sigh...

WHY wouldn't you just post an image of the revised WHOLE PLAYFIELD for people to check BEFORE you print MORE of them, with potentially more mistakes? The resolution of images on Pinside isn't high enough for anyone to steal the art and make playfields or something, if that's the wild scenario keeping you up at night. You just keep doing this wrong over and over when people are happy to help you BEFORE THE MISTAKES are committed to wood. This proofing service wouldn't cost you a dime. Believe it or not, people are invested in seeing you succeed, but you don't make it easy.

#143 3 years ago

Because the image is fixed and this will be the final version. All found errors are fixed so no need to go back and forth hundred times. These errors only happened as the original I had was touched up at these areas.
Regards,
Mirco

You said it was right with many playfields before. It wasn't. This isn't the first time this has happened with you. There's no need to go back and forth 100 times if you RELEASE THE WHOLE PLAYFIELD ART AS A SINGLE GRAPHIC FOR EXAMINATION FIRST by the community. Then, all the mistakes can be noted and compiled (for FREE, mind you), then fixed. ONE TIME.

ONE. TIME.

It's a better way than what you've been doing almost from the start. It's impossible to see why you don't understand that.

#145 3 years ago

I do but I have to use production slots if I have them. Right now all machines are running all time and once all components are ready for that machine it has to go into that slot.

Which makes no sense if you're printing a playfield AGAIN with mistakes on it that you think is right, but is actually wrong because it wasn't checked properly. Then you will have to "slot" it again in the future to make it right. Why not do it ONCE, but...and bear with me here - correctly? You SAY you don't want to do things 100x, but then you do this, which is the complete opposite of the words you say.

"Measure twice, cut once" comes to mind...

#151 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This thread has sat idle for 2 weeks. That is plenty of time for anybody to go over the pics that Mirco first put up and look for any additional errors. Where have you been in the last 2 weeks?

If you'll recall, I did go through the ball area and showed how the 9 ball itself that was a MESS could be completely fixed in less than 60 minutes with a new version I made and posted.

That said, I'm not going through a hodge-podge collection of pictures from random angles to pick out issues. Mirco only has to post ONE picture of the SOURCE ART to have it checked. He hasn't done that, for reasons NO ONE understands. It's moronic.

ALL he has to do is print a SINGLE post (maybe 2 if it's too tall) of the source art he thinks is final to be inspected by the community. Errors will be found. None of this off-angle, upside-down, sideways crap of real-life, already printed defective playfield photos. We're trying to SAVE HIM THE TROUBLE of printing bad playfields by CORRECTING THE SOURCE ART before a single playfield is printed - for FREE. The least he can do is respect our time by posting source art to check instead of random photos.

Quoted from cottonm4:

And since you said earlier that you are not going to buy one and have no dog in this fight, why would you even be interested at all? You do not own a Nine Ball and do not have one on your wish list. With your one pinball machine, why are you here?

Because IF we can get the benefit of doing this RIGHT through Mirco's thick skull NOW, then when he has a playfield I WANT, we won't have these ridiculous issues.

And I've owned and will own more pins than you've ever touched. Just because I'm a recovering pinaholic and have limited myself to a maximum of two pins at a time now doesn't mean my cumulative pin ownership doesn't destroy yours. Nice try with the shade, but your tree is bare.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody walking up to a Quicksilver for some play action will never notice that some writing is missing.
You can blame me if you want for Mirco's first attempt. I was the one who made the introduction. I did not see the art work had been corrected by some 3rd rate artist. I regret not seeing this from looking at the donor play field. I had of noticed this touch up was crap I could have scanned my Nine Ball and sent Mirco some scans before he ever got started.

Thank you for making my point. IF MIRCO HAD POSTED THE PLAYFIELD ART SOURCE FILE (at a reduced resolution) BEFORE RUNNING IT you and many others would have noticed he copied a "crap" touchup and saved the problem of re-running them.

Same on your quicksilver story. If he had posted it in advance the chance that the writing missing could have been caught is GREATLY increased.

There's no downside to letting the community pre-check the "finished" art before running it so mistakes can be caught and fixed all at once.

THAT'S the point. Thank you for helping reinforce it with your Nine Ball and quicksilver stories. Do I think Mirco will get it and change? No. He'll keep cranking out flawed playfields for no good reason when everyone's here willing to help him do it right the first time. Do I understand that? Nope.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a Nine Ball Repro play field thread. I'll get interested in other items on other threads. If you want to talk about a bigger picture, why don't you start a thread for that instead of mudding up the Nine Ball thread? OTOH, Mirco said he is going to print, so this thread is done.
But why don't we save this thread for when the NB play fields start arriving and everybody can start picking their NB play fields apart?

And, BTW, unless he corrected it last night when I pointed it out, the new "fixed" 9 ball version he sent me photos of still has errors (at least one of which was pointed out by me weeks ago).

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, so you got a little side deal going on with Mirco? Because what you are talking is news to me.

He sent me the pics, unprompted, out of the blue. They're the new run and at least one obvious mistake I already called out (and fixed with my 9 ball demo weeks ago) is still present. But again, he sent me pics, not source art, and there was extreme glare on two of them. Useless. Again. I said errors were still present and left it at that. I'm not going out of my way with his "my way or the heighway" attitude when I and others are just trying to help him make the best possible repros.

I really don't think he cares to get repros right, just wants to get them done. When he rejects FREE, accurate proofing by the community, that's the only conclusion I can arrive at.

#164 3 years ago

This thread is so disappointing. No replacement playfield options for 41 years...people work on it for months, then when one is finally available it results in constant complaints and ridicule for the company responsible for it all.
If the repro is only 98% accurate, so what? It is still just a repro. Not original. If you want 100% true to the original then keep your existing playfield in your machine and stop badgering folks.

If the vendor doesn't want to let the community see the art until it's already committed to wood and too late to fix, when the community will proof it FOR FREE, how does that make any sense, especially at $800 and up a pop? People are ready to HELP Mirco ship the best repros, and he constantly has shown he prefers to ship wrong playfields, then maybe partially fix the errors and run again. How is that good for anyone, including Mirco?

It doesn't have to be this way, and he'd be getting the help FOR FREE, so cost isn't the issue, either.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Totally agree. Also I can understand not wanting to do something by committee; especially with Pinball people. And again, because you don't have to.

But it's not "by committee," which implies some degree of approval from the community required.

It's community PROOFING, consolidated to a list of flaws and mistakes, which Mirco can then act on or ignore, point by point. It's basically a free road map to issues BEFORE the art is committed to wood.

And since he hasn't tried it, he has no idea whether the results of that process are better. I posit that they would be.

3 weeks later
#192 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

From Jsmooth's pictures.
Click on the pics for the super size view.
Whysnow's "L" for lights is there now.
[quoted image]
Coyote's Zero in the 77,000 is fixed. That was a nice catch.
(It was the having to play your guessing game that stunk ).
[quoted image]
And here is the rack of balls.
Shoot Again has been fixed. The "2" has been fixed. The lighting bolts have been fixed. The Nine Ball has been fixed with the shading and also the #9 insert. The center post arrow looks OK.
I'd ask you to look at it, Mof, but you are not QC and not on the payroll.
[quoted image]

All the lightning bolts are not fixed. There's a priority problem with the ones on the left side of the 9 ball. I told mirco about it after the first round of "fixing" the art. He didn't fix it. No surprise.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The room lighting looks a little more natural in Jjsmooth's first post of the playfield so ball colors align more to expectation:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-repro-mircoplayfield-and-plastic-set-available/page/4#post-6111936

Looks to me like the left lightning priority is fixed on this persons playfield:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome/page/17#post-6111965

If "fixing" it is just removing the keyline of the ball completely in that area, then I guess that's one way to do it. So, basically there's multiple flavors of objectively wrong playfields shipping and no right ones.
9-ball-keyline-missing (resized).jpg9-ball-keyline-missing (resized).jpg

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

- The insert lenses for 3 and 8 balls on my existing playfield in the game are translucent orange. They are definitely NOT red like the spinner inserts. What you are asking for is wrong.
- The 3 ball on my new playfield is definitely candy-red.
- The 4 ball is definitely purple. My camera on this old S5 phone wants to yellow the playfield pics for some reason.
- The lightning on left is missing maybe 1mm of keyline between the streaks. I couldn't see it til pointed out here, and still can't really see it unless I squint. Not an issue IMHO
The new playfield is fine, there is no need for a 3rd revision unless you're being ridiculously picky.

This IS the 3rd revision. You're talking 4th revision (which I agree, at this point is stupid).

#211 3 years ago

I got a confirmation from Mirco that I recieved the same product that was featured in his photos on pg 1 of this post. His photos were taken outside against a white background and look pretty good, but when the plastics are installed in the machine, you can see that the blue, yellow, orange and red colors are not near as vivid. When the plastics are back-lit they appear even lighter.
IMO they are good quality overall, but the colors need to be a bit more saturated so that when they are backlit they compliment the playfield a bit better.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What do the back of the plastics look like? If they're washing out when backlit, the white base might just be too light.

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Enlighten me. This my NB play field.
[quoted image]

The continuation of the black line just past the left corner of the "H" in "Highest" is the easiest one to spot. Not there at all on the example mirco one. The "S" is more minor, but still an error.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Mine is on the left. The Mirco repro is on the right. That small black line above the "H" on mine measures a smidge less than 1/16". I cannot get a good pic of the donor play field to see how that 1/16" of line looks compared to mine.
[quoted image]

There's a ton of detail wrong with just that segment. The lettering is shifted too low overall relative to the skewers, the yellow fill creeping up through the black lines below "high" on the Mirco one is way too long, there's white fill missing on some of the dots on the skewers on the Mirco one. Just lack of attention to detail that people happily would have marked up for him FOR FREE if he had posted the art before running these to make a great reproduction. But he knows mediocrity will still sell, so he doesn't bother.

#226 3 years ago

vireland Here ya go.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hmm. It's hard to tell if it's an issue of the white base or the colored inks being too translucent. Maybe a little of both? Definitely way more washed out than it should be when lit.

Thanks for posting the backs.

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I've largely lost interest in pinball during the pandemic but you guys really keep pulling me back in. By far my fav thread on Pinside.

I keep saying I'm done, then someone posts another playfield picture segment and I find it impossible to resist seeing the errors while thinking "kmart sucks" over and over. It's a sickness.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have figured out that you are a man who is interested in fine detail.

I'm just in the school of if you're going to do something, do it right or don't bother. Mirco has the method to fix a LOT of these issues before he prints - for FREE and just refuses to do it. Makes no sense.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I looked at them for a few minutes and realized that CPR is not going to be doing any do-overs so I am moving forward on this. My original play field is not in bad shape but I am still making the swap.

For you to have caught the errors, they must have been blatant. No idea what CPR was thinking. CPR is welcome to crowd check their art, too.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nothing wrong with what you say, but I learned two things years ago.
1) If you want 100% perfection, you will not be able to afford what you want.
2) If 100% is your goal, you will never finish.
At a certain point you have to cut bait.

The most important lesson Mirco hasn't learned is when your friends offer help - let them help you.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Will be chamfering my hole.
Never said that.

Usually that phrase is paired with "moisturizing cream" when people say it.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

...but missing text like this is weak and is absolutely poor QC.

At this point, I'm 100% positive Mirco will have an excuse for it.

And if, before he went to print, he had just released the full art...ART, not selective pictures of a printed playfield from various batman angles, this could have been avoided, like all the other mistakes - for FREE.

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Clear coat should not be having problems that fast with little play....Maybe Mirco can explain his process: Is he milling after clear, or is finish clear the final process.

Good luck with that. He seems quite satisfied to just keep failing upward.

4 months later
#308 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yah, you can't really do this if the plastics are going to be lit up from behind. Light will affect this greatly. 2 layers may help, but may also need more than that.

It basically needs screen printing to reproduce it right. CMYK is too limited. We're finding the hard edges of digital printing. It's not a cure-all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-repro-mircoplayfield-and-plastic-set-available?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.