Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TractorDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 237 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8034 (resized).JPG
IMG_8033 (resized).JPG
IMG_8029 (resized).JPG
IMG_8027 (resized).JPG
IMG_7783 (resized).JPG
IMG_7889 (resized).JPG
IMG_7137 (resized).JPG
IMG_7000 (resized).JPG
IMG_7991 (resized).JPG
IMG_7981 (resized).JPG
IMG_7971 (resized).JPG
IMG_6991 (resized).JPG
IMG_7007 (resized).JPG
IMG_7943 (resized).JPG
IMG_7937 (resized).JPG
IMG_7909 (resized).JPG

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from g94:

Fantastic photos. That game looks so great.

Quoted from frunch:

Yup, working as designed!
Nice pics, beautiful game. Have a blast with it, NB is awesome! Have you collected the 173k shot yet? Cracks me up every time!

Thanks!

Thought it was normal, but wanted to make sure there was not some static/noise that shouldn't have been.

Loving it so far. Need to get a couple more full scale pictures posted -- just difficult to get a good perspective in the smallish game room.

I had the 173K shot lined up one time. . . only to hit the horseshoe again and reset it down to 10K!

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I had the 173K shot lined up one time. . . only to hit the horseshoe again and reset it down to 10K!

Priceless! Collecting the 173k in multiplayer always gets a loud reaction from us...but restting it to 10k gets the loudest one of all.

That's a great example of what i love about this game and other classic Sterns--fairly simple, but interesting, fun rule sets. Also, the maxed out bonus countdown in NB is *fantastic*

NB is a keeper in my lineup, the challenge never gets old.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

NB is a keeper in my lineup, the challenge never gets old.

Don't see this one going anywhere -- I'd keep it around just to turn it on and look at it! The only issue I've had thus far is the game "forgetting" about how many balls are on the playfield in multi-ball -- I've read that was one of the software glitches but hoped it would be a non issue with the new Alltek board.

Quoted from frunch:

Priceless! Collecting the 173k in multiplayer always gets a loud reaction from us...but restting it to 10k gets the loudest one of all.

Wife heard me yell "Noooo!" and ran into the game room to see if everything was good.
Explained what happened and she gave me a

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

The only issue I've had thus far is the game "forgetting" about how many balls are on the playfield in multi-ball -- I've read that was one of the software glitches but hoped it would be a non issue with the new Alltek board.

I've only had that happen to me once with stock boards and the latest rom revision (60, i think?), and if i recall correctly it was when i started a game with a ball still sitting in the kickout hole in the left lane when the game began. I've always noticed when the game ends, it will activate the kickout hole coil once which can occasionally leave one ball in the trough when you're starting another game (if you ended a game with 2 balls locked). That's the only time I've run into the issue, so you may want to note if that's the scenario when it happens on yours.

Quoted from TractorDoc:

Wife heard me yell "Noooo!" and ran into the game room to see if everything was good.
Explained what happened and she gave me a

That's hilarious!

#155 1 year ago

Glass is installed and high scores are cleared. Game On!!

IMG_7937 (resized).JPG

#156 1 year ago

High score from playing about 30 games yesterday. Number eight on the Pinside high scores tracker -- number one is over five million so it looks like I will need more practice.

IMG_7943 (resized).JPG

Wanted to keep playing but it was well after midnight -- have to sleep sometime!

#157 1 year ago

Beautiful machine.

Aren't you disturbed by how bright the displays are? How about the reflections on the playfield?
If you are using the original fluorescent displays, I would reduce the high voltage to 160VDC instead of 190 or plus. It will reduce the brightness of the displays and extend their life duration immensely.

Yves

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Beautiful machine.
Aren't you disturbed by how bright the displays are? How about the reflections on the playfield?
If you are using the original fluorescent displays, I would reduce the high voltage to 160VDC instead of 190 or plus. It will reduce the brightness of the displays and extend their life duration immensely.

Thanks Yves.

Honestly, I think the displays look worse in pictures (vs. in person) due to my picture taking abilities. The game is located in a dark room and it is difficult to balance the exposure -- the displays / lights probably look more intense due to a longer shutter speed. Like taking a picture of the moon at night, it usually gets washed out. I think I tested the display voltage around 170VDC or so, but I am not against turning it down a bit.
I think the playfield reflections look worse in the picture as well -- do not notice them when playing. I suppose I can always acquire invisiglass one day. . .

Other maintenance will probably include replacing the pop bumper switch. I've adjusted it several times now but the pop does not seem to register as often as it should. Every now and again the ball kickout wants to put two balls in the shooter lane -- trying to fine tune the rocker switches and solenoid switch under the ball trough to correct that.
Otherwise so far so good!

#159 1 year ago

For the misbehaving switches, make sure they have a 0.047uF ceramic capacitor. Quite often, that is the reason.

Yves

#160 1 year ago

(incoming broken record)
I go to ten 47s max in any BG to minimize reflections, so I can actually play easily in the dark...

-mof

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

I go to ten 47s max in any BG to minimize reflections, so I can actually play easily in the dark...

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.
In the past I've always wondered why so many bulbs were/are missing in the display panels. . . did they burn out and were never replaced? Were they stolen to be used in the playfield? Never occurred to me that they were left out to minimize the glare. I simply thought that every empty socket needed filled. I just may have to remove some bulbs. . .

#162 1 year ago

Indeed good thinking here!
And much cheaper than anti-glare playfield glass

#163 1 year ago

For my 100th post in this thread I thought it appropriate to do a couple before/after comparisons. . . just a couple quick ones.

Cabinet Before. Never took any with the backglass installed after I pulled them off the truck.

IMG_6991 (resized).JPG IMG_7007 (resized).JPG IMG_7137 (resized).JPG

Cabinet After (still need to swap out those rear leg protectors ).

IMG_7991 (resized).JPG

Playfield Before.

IMG_7000 (resized).JPG

Playfield After.

IMG_7783 (resized).JPG IMG_7971 (resized).JPG IMG_7889 (resized).JPG

The wizard looks cozy in its new home between the Williamses. Seems games grew a bit by the 90s.

IMG_7981 (resized).JPG

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice, comments, and positivity along the way. The machine would not look half as good without everyone on Pinside.

#164 1 year ago

Definitely some improvements..... Fantastic job.

Yves

#165 1 year ago

Awesome job! Love the early sterns!

#166 1 year ago

A mini update.
Over the last several days the ball kickout was acting up. When starting a game sometimes two balls would kick out, sometimes a second ball would kick out when you were mid game with the first ball. Ultimately only a two ball game would be played.
Following Arcane 's advice I gave the switch a good looking over and found a suspect diode (if that is what this one is) -- one side looked to be twisty tied together.

IMG_8027 (resized).JPG

A quick replacement with a new 1N4004 and the kickout is behaving normally again. Sorry for the poor focus.

IMG_8029 (resized).JPG

Still a few bugs to work out, but we are having fun while doing so. No new high scores yet!

#167 1 year ago

A bit more icing on the cupcake.
New Credit Button Decal Applied -- the Blue Foil Version!

IMG_8033 (resized).JPG

IMG_8034 (resized).JPG

#168 1 year ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

New Credit Button Decal Applied -- the Blue Foil Version!

Looks great! Where'd you get the decal from? I'd love to pick one up for my NB and Seawitch!

#169 1 year ago

I tried starting a thread for restoration resources:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-of-pinside-restoration-guides

I think I put the info on post #6 -- they are a bit pricier than the Marco's version, but Marco's do not have the reflective foil finish.

#170 1 year ago

Perfect, thanks!!!

2 weeks later
#171 1 year ago

So. . .
With the help of the wife I've attempted to post my first video to YouTube. Isn't technology wonderful?

This should be a short game play video -- I was able to catch some multi-ball but lost it rather quickly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside