(Topic ID: 295029)

Nine Ball first time start up, need help.

By ita47

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ita47
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F31F6461-7009-4202-8EFA-54FA9BF45549 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

I am trying to get my Stern Nine Ball going. I installed a new rectifier board and all my voltages are reading correctly. I went through my solenoid driver board and replaced the caps, did the ground mods and tested. Again all voltages check out correctly at the solenoid driver board. I installed an Alltek MPU board, when I turn the machine on the 5 volt LED comes on and the top LED will flash 7 times like its supposed to, but then nothing happens. No displays, no coil resets, no attract mode, nothing. I have not repined any connectors other than the rectifier board. Could that be my problem or am I missing something else?

#2 2 years ago

Are the dip switches on the new mpu set for Nine Ball? Also, make sure the jumpers for clock speed are set up for MPU-200.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Are the dip switches on the new mpu set for Nine Ball? Also, make sure the jumpers for clock speed are set up for MPU-200.

Waiting to see if this fixed it…

#4 2 years ago

Ball in the outhole and switch is registering?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Balls plural. You need three balls in the trough to start a game.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Balls plural. You need three balls in the trough to start a game.

Thanks for the correction. Hadn’t had my coffee yet.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Yes the dip switches are set for Nine Ball and I cleared the memory first and yes the clock speed jumpers are set for MPU-200.

Quoted from emsrph:

Yes 3 balls in the trough, not sure if they are registering because it doesn't boot completely.

#8 2 years ago

I got the MPU to boot and I have displays. If I plug in J4 on the light board the 5amp fuse on the rectifier board for the 43 volts blows as soon as the machine is turned on and the MPU won't boot. I still can't start a game, but I can get into test mode for the displays.

#9 2 years ago

Did you happen to replace any connectors while doing the aforementioned work on the game?

#10 2 years ago

Does your new rectifier board have an extra pin on it? And if so did you put the connector together correctly so the extra pin is not used and all others are in the proper position?

#11 2 years ago

The extra pin would be on j1

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Did you happen to replace any connectors while doing the aforementioned work on the game?

Only the connectors on the rectifier board.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

Does your new rectifier board have an extra pin on it? And if so did you put the connector together correctly so the extra pin is not used and all others are in the proper position?

Yes I am using the Weebly rectifier board and there is an extra pin on J1 on the left side. I am pretty sure I wired the connector correctly but I will have to double check that.

My problem still exists with blowing the fuse mentioned above, but I made a little more progress. I replaced the under playfield fuse so the coils fire in coil test and I have sound, and the flippers work. I did get some smoke out of the big drop target bank from one of the individual target coils so I unplugged that whole assembly. That still made no difference on blowing the 43V 5A fuse if I plug in J4 on the light board.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Yes I am using the Weebly rectifier board and there is an extra pin on J1 on the left side.

I just installed a new rectifier board on my Stars and the extra pin was on the right side. I’d take another look at how you have it just to be sure! The connector should be keyed so I’m sure you probably have it set up correctly, but just tossing out ideas!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I just installed a new rectifier board on my Stars and the extra pin was on the right side. I’d take another look at how you have it just to be sure! The connector should be keyed so I’m sure you probably have it set up correctly, but just tossing out ideas!

The extra pin is on the right on this board, I said left but didn’t have it in front of me. Here is a picture of J1.
F31F6461-7009-4202-8EFA-54FA9BF45549 (resized).jpegF31F6461-7009-4202-8EFA-54FA9BF45549 (resized).jpeg

#15 2 years ago

Yeah I meant the extra pin was on the right of the connector which is what’s showing on your photo. Dang, I’m out of ideas!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I did get some smoke out of the big drop target bank from one of the individual target coils so I unplugged that whole assembly. That still made no difference on blowing the 43V 5A fuse if I plug in J4 on the light board.

I had smoke out of one of my coils on the target bank as well. Any idea what to look for?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I had smoke out of one of my coils on the target bank as well. Any idea what to look for?

I’m guessing a shorted coil, but I haven’t taken it apart yet. I will post what I find when I get to it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-first-time-start-up-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.