IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#400 5 years ago

First time poster first time Nine Ball owner
Picked up a not so shabby example I'm tearing down and freshening up right now.

Quick question I couldn't seem to find.
New drop targets from PBR, are they ready to go for a straight swap or do they need to be dealt with in any way?
I know with Meteor people like to weigh them down a bit, but don't that was just because they changed from tombstones to the other style, and I don't think Nine Ball ever used tombstones?
Thanks.

1 week later
#405 5 years ago

Coming along....

P1030132 (resized).JPGP1030132 (resized).JPG
#407 5 years ago

Haha no it's lame isn't it? First thing I did when looking at it was move the playfield up like Meteor and *bam* PF went down.
I'll be adding some wood to that side to make the rail longer.

#410 5 years ago

I didn't mean adding a piece the entire length, just 4-5" which I've seen on another machine. That's funny though I never even considered it had to do with that massive bank.

#413 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"just 4 or 5 inches" ? Why bother? You still would have a gap you have to lift the play field over. I don't understand.

1. That's what she said
2. Just the diff'rence of moving it over or before the gap; personal pref brother

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

the 8 bank drop target is a pain in the a... to adjust...

Uff not looking forward to it. Just aboot got everything cleaned and ready to put together on mine.

#417 5 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

the 8 bank drop target is a pain in the a... to adjust...

Better hurry up...Go Pro series cant shoot itself.

#419 5 years ago

Closing in....

no2 (resized).jpgno2 (resized).jpg
#421 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

... , did you clear it?

Yeah Quick and dirty job...mostly because you have to paint all the key lines. Only a spot or 2 of missing paint to start though

1 month later
#429 5 years ago

Switch in the shooter lane chief. Just had this issue myself.

#432 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are the two 3-bank drop target assemblies supposed to return to standing position after you knock down the 3rd target?

No. After hitting both banks down, 1 bank will come back up at a time, alternating.

Quoted from cottonm4:

If the remove the 2nd ball....

Quoted from cottonm4:

One other question while I chase the double launch problem...

Don't be offended, you have 3 balls in the game right?

#435 5 years ago

Well shit man...I just had this issue but I did have a few switches, or more, that needed tending too so I thought that was it. Whole machine was stripped down so i'm trying to remember what fixed it. I mean it HAS* to be the trough or shooter lane switch doesn't it?!?

And you're sure, like 100% that if you like manually close the shooter lane switch it wont kick out 2? And checked that a resting ball closes the switch in test mode?

*it of course doens't have to make any logical sense.

4 weeks later
#453 5 years ago

What's the deal with the bullseye version of the single drop? The flyers seem to show the standard red but was the other ever used?

2 months later
#460 5 years ago

Yes I'm having the exact same issue with MB on mine. Currently, when 2 balls are locked, it kicks out a 3rd ball, but when that ball drains it doens't end that ball. Assuming it's something trough related as if you tilt with ball 3 in the trough it still doesn't end the ball and will sit until turned off/on.

I'd also like to thank Rust-Oleum orange for making my cabinet painting easy

#462 5 years ago

True, but I play another one locally that works great.

#467 5 years ago

Hmm don't know aboot 2x playfield when in MB.

3 weeks later
#484 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What? Like get a shorter rubber ring and it will stretch more?

Yup. Tighter = more room

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

You are right, we see it in the pic

And in fact is that the nail for the guide BEHIND the guide? There's something sitting right there.

#490 5 years ago

Ah, weird optical delusion

9b (resized).jpg9b (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#547 5 years ago

Just leave the post in and remove the rubber if it's too easy...you'll still try to use the thing 1 time a game and blow it

3 months later
#561 4 years ago

Bah I'd keep it factory. You can;t hit it straight you gotta bank it off the rail...it's pool!

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are we playing Slop or Call Shot ?

We are playing the standard rules applied by the BCA, Billiard Congress of America, and I will not deviate form them at all!

6 months later
#608 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Would you mind sharing what brand of paint you used and what the colors were? I'm having a hard time matching the original colors.

For PF and outside cab I didn't have much trouble using standard Creatix opaques. The orange and red worked out easy, and blue if I recall wasn;t horrible.
I mean yellow is yellow and always sucks.

Inside of cab Rust-o-leam orange is a spot on match

https://www.amazon.com/Createx-Colors-5803-00-Airbrush-Multicolor/dp/B000NW182O/ref=pd_sbs_201_t_2/141-5491485-4293260

3 weeks later
#612 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Can they still be had for reasonable (pinside’s suggested 1k-ish) price?

Not unless you find one amazing deal no.

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So are they running 2k or is nine ball really a 4K game now???

Quoted from bluespin:

Fully working nice cosmetics, but not restored, playfield wear in the ball rack area $1500-1900.

Yeah the assumption is you'll have to repaint it for sure; all the standard Stern key limes will be blown out at the very least.
Stern pricing is weird now...I hear tales of shit going for mega bucks but I don't know if it's true.
If I found one for $1500 I'd be really pumped. I don't doubt if it were a bidding situation you'd have many offers over that; but it could be done.

1 month later
#656 4 years ago

If you put everyone's PF together there's enough for a perfect one

P1030476 (resized).JPGP1030476 (resized).JPG
#659 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Huh? They've certainly done some Stern playfields. Meteor is currently advertised on their homepage and they have certainly done Flight 2000 playfields... Catacomb is "out of stock" but they made those as well.

Catacomb & Meteor both had some pretty big issues, so factor that in
Catacomb did a small run and is waiting for a big run after fixing some issues and running some other stuff

1 week later
#673 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Folks,
anyone put LED's into their Nine Ball? if so what are you using?
Neil

Comet Warm White frosted for PF. Any bulbs that are in my sight line, I use incandescent.

For backglasses I use whatever old ass LEDs I have laying around form breaking down games for years. If you are going to use regualr LEDs for it, it the same as modern games, you don't need to fill every socket, it'll get too bright.

#679 4 years ago

Some dragonfist action, nice.

#693 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For me, the must owns are Big Game, Catacomb, and Nine Ball.

That's a good three that I could live with.
I'd def like a Big Game.

#702 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

You do know that in order to like Nine Ball you don't have to hate the rest of the Stern titles?

Well there's hating a game which is fine, and then there's saying it's as bad as Viper; not cool.

3 months later
#729 3 years ago

Pretty rough in the middle, but also pretty standard for Nine Ball. There are no PF or overlays, get out your paint brushes!
Welcome .

1 week later
#737 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

.. Can anyone suggest what shade of orange and blue would likely be the best match....

Createx orange coral and red opaques work well and can be mixed together.
With all classic Sterns, cadmium orange is usually the way to go

3 months later
#803 3 years ago

New drop assembly isn't going to fix that. Do you have the other weird symptoms of not locking balls correctly and shit like that?
Going through the pool ball counting/reseting targets correctly?

#806 3 years ago

It also happens regularly if your having an issue with a reset coil.
Guys, I hate that issue!

7 months later
#885 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Solder a 470 ohm resistor from the base of the lamp socket to the tab. Sometimes in certain games, it’s the only way to get rid of a flickering led. I had to do this with my centaur, after trying three different lamp boards.

Too true.

1 month later
#902 2 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I'm not sure how/where to solder resistors to the large lamp boards to stop flickering. Has anyone tried these? https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-nine-ball-complete-set-of-boards-to-replace-metal-panel-sockets

They're great. Just upgrade your light board and buy a barakandi

https://nvram.weebly.com/bally-stern-ldb.html

3 months later
#936 2 years ago

I don

Quoted from EEE:

Can anyone suggest a good match for the orange on the cabinet? I am planning on repainting the front part of the head.
In addition to the outer edges being rough, someone painted over the front edge of the trim boards with black and I want to get it back to all orange.
I’ve started to sand it down and fortunately the rest of the head looks very presentable.
Ideally there is a good primer + paint option in a rattle can.
[quoted image]

Rattle can rustoleum orange is a perfect match.

#947 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Or you can take the color chips over to the rattle can dept. and start matching the lids on the rattle cans....

Or you can do it the easy way

2 weeks later
#980 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Same as grand Prix and all ....

You saying the targets in Grand Prix are the same as Nine Ball? That ain't right
Probably mis read something

#983 2 years ago

Square vs rectangle clearly

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

A bunch of Nine Balls were made with all blue targets...

Ahh an age old question answered; thanks!

1 month later
#1044 2 years ago

Saucer spots a ball, so itw dropping all drops, giving you the 1 ball, and them lighting the 2 ball; that is correct. You'll see it says after the 5(?) Ball is down the saucer will lock the ball

8ball drop should be up and normal like all the others, so that needs to be fixed

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

And for some reason if the target fails to auto drop the game will just sit there.

Horrible issue indeed

11 months later
#1155 1 year ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I recently torn down a Nine Ball and while installing the parts back I found that I have 3 post that are shorter than the rest. The pictures that I took do not show where these 3 pieces go. Anyone happen to have photos for these 3 post?

2 are probably the outlanes.

1 week later
#1158 1 year ago

See they pulled a CPR classic and changed up some insert colors eh?

#1165 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

anyone know a source for a replacement?

Not anymore.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I love the colours but this seems a bit rubbish no?
[quoted image]

Can;t really tell with the purple red lighting of the room.

4 weeks later
#1176 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

... So today I've installed a board kit to reduce the flicker...works good, but the 1-9 inserts still exhibit a strobing flicker during gameplay.

You can still use resistors on the sockets if you have to

1 month later
#1190 1 year ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Checking to see the route people went on LEDing their Nine Ball playfield lights. I'm leaning towards Pinball Life's version of yopsicles, but am not sure about the wiring around the left side of the playfield (drop target area) without the braided wire and have no idea how to cleanly run the wire. I know the replacement boards to 555s are available, but I'd ideally like to stick with one system instead of a mismash. Ideas?
Thanks-

You can just get some wire and staple it down to run a new power bus to the sockets; not hard at all. Frankly you probably wouldn't even need to staple since the the LEDs would be so close together.

I used the light board on mine as it was before Yopps, but I've used them on multiple Sterns and super simple. I would have used them if they existed then.

#1192 1 year ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Buddy of mine did my F2K playfield swap with yopsicles, turned out really nice. However, F2K doesn't have the light boards that Nine Ball does. I could get you a pic of how he routed the wire for the yopsicles on F2K if you think it would give you some ideas.

Yeah just screw them down and solder the wire on.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-/page/3#post-6552364

3 weeks later
#1215 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Cool white or warm white frosted LEDs in GI ?

Warm white always

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Thanks all ordered...orange rings...

Ouch

2 months later
#1244 10 months ago

Warm white always...there isn't even a question

#1247 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm a cool white guy

That's always been the one thing not cool aboot you!

#1251 10 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

...since your friend probably likes to be able to see the ball when they play....

No flame wars. I might even have to change the color once I get so old I can't see a pinball PF

#1253 10 months ago
Quoted from newovad:

I hooked up a warm white to a 12 volt and shone it through all the inserts. Did the same with the cool. Used warms on most except cools on the blues and greens (and that big ol white Nine ball in the middle).

I WILL admit the blues and greens can get a little murky with Yopps. Not as much with LED bulbs

1 month later
#1270 8 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I would suggest asking the owner of Weebly, Andrew.

NVRAM

3 months later
#1277 4 months ago

Finally got mine back in the house...feels well!

20231030_010529.jpg20231030_010529.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.