IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Looking forward to the software rewrite if a 2X or 3X playfield score can be incorporated into multi-ball and if the spinner count is visible.

Spinner count already added and available in the beta.
Drop handling tweaked.
Pf multiplier code is in but nothing activates it yet.
Beta testers needed which is one of the reasons it hasn't progressed much yet beyond that.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Hmmm. . .
I may have to swap out the Alltek board that is running mine to test out some of your work.

That is pretty much why the update is at a standstill - need feedback on how it's working/not working. MPU200 or a weebly board will work for testing, although if able use a 200 because I want to make sure it runs correctly on what most people would have. (While the alltek's rom layout is now known, putting a different eprom in there voids the lifetime warranty I'm told).

While I do have the borrowed playfield in a cabinet, there's lots of things wrong with it that I'd have to fix first (mostly with the 8 bank) before using it for extensive testing. I'd prefer to get some feedback from owners that have the game actually setup and working correctly, but get the occasional issue with the balls ending early, etc.

Everyone that likes the spinner counter thank cottonm4 for suggesting it for Big Game.... originally I was going to it a one-off for him with it but I liked it so much that I'm rolling it into all the games that didn't have it.

I agree with some of the earlier posters in the club that say working switches are key to the game not losing track of the balls - when I had a nine ball last in the mid 2000s I had mine working perfectly re: the switches, and only a couple times did I get the errors others have seen (I think it's possible to shoot the ball really quickly before the shooter lane switch is seen for instance, and that would generate an instant ball count error).

I'm also taking suggestions that don't deviate too far from the spirit of the game, although the ruleset is pretty good as it sits. One thing I might use from Flight 2000's rewrite is instead of a general 2x/3x scoring in multiball, make it so any ball shot back into the lock lane increases the PF X for a short time.

The general link to all the rom mods I'm hosting is:
https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm

And Nineball of course is called 'nineball-beta' on that page.

Another page I'm hosting contains descriptions of Rom mods I'm aware of, not only for tournament romsets, but general updates/bug fixes. Most of them are for original hardware as indexing the myriad of homebrew p3 or other replacement board mods would need several more pages.

https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/tournament-rom-mods

Added over 2 years ago:

https://sites.google.com/view/phillypinball/galaxy-asm

New link for the downloads, old one is 'still there' but might not point to the latest versions of the software.

#749 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I would be willing to give it a try -- I have a weebly handy and could probably come up with an uncompromised MPU200 to try (I'd even be willing to swap bits out on the Alltek if I had to).
Another issue I have is my ROM burning skills are less than nonexistent. I would be happy to buy/cover the cost of shipping a set of ROMS if that was an option.

Do you have a burner and chips? That's the best way to go. If you have the weebly with the 512 socket you can get eeproms that fit it (so no eraser needed) for about $3-4 each.

I only have enough blanks for my own needs right now, and rapid-development beta testing puts the US Mail out of the equation as there would be a week or so between updates, trying different things. If you get a TL866 burner I can walk you through using the software - it's really not that hard. (Once you start having to combine rom files that's really the difficult part - but the beta will always contain the original 716 files, combined 732 files, and a weebly 512 file).

It's very handy to have eprom burning capability especially if you have a group of pinheads in your area. It's essential for what I'm doing as I think that every single game I have has at least SOME kind of modification in it (sometimes just free play).

#753 3 years ago

If you have a weebly with the 512 socket, a 27C512, if you have the mpu200, it depends on what you currently have - if you have 4x2716's, you need that, or you can jumper the game for 2x2732.

#755 3 years ago

If it's not an aftermarket board it has to be a stern because bally boards don't have the extra RAM stern boards do.

#757 3 years ago

If you can get a hold of 28c16 eeproms they should drop in as 2716's. I find 2716's a pain to work with because they usually require 25v to program (which my minipro doesn't do, and I haven't dusted off the ancient data i/o parallel port programmer in years)

I wouldn't erase your existing chips for instance as I've found that the chips can be a bear to erase and get a good burn out of subsequently. I have about 10 that just sit here waiting to be used and then erased again when the burn fails.

3 months later
#812 3 years ago

Yes, the 5 bank is the same mech including individual memory drops, it just has 3 less drops in it.

1 month later
#828 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Can you share some differences in the new code?

spinner counter
single drop improved handling
8 bank drop improved handling

nothing for multiball stuff yet though

2 months later
#863 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Can that be done? Can those switches be disabled and then reconnected hot?

Yes you can... I've pulled off/put on the j2/j3 connectors all at once so no reason you can't do it one at a time. You might get a bounce or 2 as you plug it in and complete a circuit, I don't think it's harmful otherwise.

I also don't really see why people always say "don't unplug/plug displays (especially Gottliebs) while the game is on." - done it lots of times on Bally/Stern and williams games, no harm done. Maybe lucky? It's not pleasant if you happen to touch the HV line though.

Not sure why they always say that on GTB's though.

5 months later
#926 2 years ago

You bend the plates 'finger' to adjust them, but I would leave it. That bank causes enough trouble as it is. Now if you have ones that don't stay up yeah you have to fix those.

Only bend the brass finger very slightly and only up and down GENTLY.

Think of them as 8 individual drop bank shelfs - they're never really going to line up perfectly.

1 month later
#978 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Looks like Stern Pinball and Stern Nine Ball are the only pins that would need these.

Same as grand Prix and all those other Williams em s that use them? Maybe not high demand but lots of possible sources.

Does stampede/rawhide use them too i forget what the pf is like on those.

#990 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04551-bally-williams-reproduction-pinball-parts

So the drop face here is ALMOST wide enough? Would it really matter if it's just a shade smaller?

People seem to not care when they have to replace chichlet's with flattops on the drops....

2 weeks later
#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Where can I find a back box lock, just the lock and cylinder not the hinge. Thanks in advance

any pinball retailer, they're the same as coin door locks but longer barrel.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/LKA118

2 weeks later
#1046 2 years ago

And for some reason if the target fails to auto drop the game will just sit there.

Not in the corrected software though that's fixed.

#1049 2 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:How do you run the corrected software?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-ball-software-rewrite

link to the discussion of the software

direct link to the download

http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/nineball-beta.zip

Basically, you replace the chips on the mpu with the new version (you will have to get them burned but the services that do this generally have or can get the software). It works for mpu200 and weebly boards, but if you have an alltek it would void your warranty and you'd have to figure out how to add it yourself.

I thought it was really dumb when I was borrowing a 9ball playfield to test/write this that a drop being missed would halt the game, especially with all the spotting on drops that the game has.

As for a ruleset on 9 ball, it's pretty much written on the playfield and the instruction card. It's not really a super-deep game (no games of that era are)

for instance.... the saucer see pic https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1678&picno=31374&zoom=1

'spot al numbers'

#1053 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

But I noticed that every insert has a scuffed pattern (all in the same direction) under the clear. Is this normal?

That's sanding marks. Likely the clear hasn't filled the marks. Only thing you could really do about it is get it recleared. Not really that big of a deal unless the clear starts to separate from the insert.

5 months later
#1088 1 year ago
Quoted from EEE:

I’m in need of the large drop target assembly. It’s entirely missing from a project I’m working on.

I’m considering an alternative and I am wondering if anyone in the same situation has been able to use two four-bank assemblies?

Yeah, you can't use 2 banks because the drops are right up against each other and the frames for the banks would interfere with each other.

If you do get the f2k bank it's a full bank that would need you just have to populate the drop coils.

#1098 1 year ago

Good deal but too bad about the spinner.

1 month later
#1113 1 year ago

http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/

New software that fixes many of these issues. Certainly specifically the repeating drop issue.

Sorry no alltek version though.

3 months later
#1146 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Where do I get that ROM that is supposed to stop the multi-balls clogging up the left ball lock?

http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/

#1148 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Scott's rom definitely help though the switches can also be a pain :/

yep, you can't fix in software the need for the switches to actually work correctly. At least not without breaking a bunch of other stuff.

The biggest fixes were definitely the memory drop not being seen (game stops and does nothing.) and the single drop not resetting (needs a reboot when this happens AFAICT)

The dumbest thing in there was the shooter lane switch - you could (conceivably) hold the plunger up so the served ball never hits the shooter lane switch, and wait a couple seconds, if you time it right, you shoot the ball up and another one gets served into the shooter lane. The game will never count balls correctly after that.

#1151 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

let's hope Cayle George doesn't see this post

Eh, AFAIK he doesn't like anything 'fixed'. when I asked the same question on tilt forums long ago with the poll of 'fix bugs' he said leave it alone. So he can exploit it.

All soren has to do to fix the Johnny Mnemonic exploit of the hand vuk is make the hand vuk worth zero points, for instance.

1 month later
#1160 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I love the colours but this seems a bit rubbish no?
[quoted image]

What the misalignment, the hole shape, or the artwork going into the lamp cutout?

3 months later
#1220 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am trying to verify two wires at the outlanes.

The manual shows the following:

1) left drop target 7000 points and the right outlane share the same wire. This drop/outlane combo calls for an Orange/Blue wire.

2) right drop target 7000 points and the left outlane share the same wire. This drop/outlane combo calls for a green wire.

They are both just lamps that are driven by the larger 106 SCR on the lamp driver board, both lamps will be on when that feature is active. The outlanes aren't going to score 7k, the switches are different between the drop bank and the outlane. The outlane will collect and reset the loop value from the single drop lane (and the stock software even resets the drop in that situation.... fixed in the fixed software) when that lamp is on. The drops will score the 7k when that lamp is on.

#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you.
but a question: Why are the wires criss crossed from left to right? does it make a difference?

Yes, it just means that when the left bank is lit the right outlane is, and vice versa. The software when it reads that the lamp is on, expects that switch to correspond. If you made them both left and both right, it would score the bonus 'opposite'. That's a game design decision.

#1227 1 year ago

The last number is the size 150=1.5 inch etc

4 months later
#1269 8 months ago
Quoted from ibis:

Going to install the updated EPROM in a Weebly board. There’s only two spaces it can go, one is being used, the other says ‘expanded rom’. I assume it hours in the space of the one being used? Just need a confirmation, thanks!!

Nope goes in the empty slot and you move the jumper to use the 512 slot instead of the combo ROM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.