IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Do you love Nine Ball? -- one of the *best* early solid state Sterns ever made...

I started up a Nine Ball Club so that other proud Nine Ball owners can share the over-the-top love for the machine as well as: repair help, instruction cards, restoration tips, part requests, requesting wiring photos, topper ideas?, LED usage, Playfield color matching tips, ROM tweaks, and upgrade ideas...

REPRODUCTIONS:
1. BG: John G makes 'em
2. Plastics: Yes they are out there
3. Playfields: mirco makes em. Please be aware of the general clear coat issues.
4. Pop caps: ?
5. Star Posts: Yes, faceted reds are coming soon
6. Boards: Yes, all 5 are reproduced

RESOURCES / IDEAS:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?1678 (documentation)
http://www.greatpinball.com/products.html (backglass repro)

SCHEMATIC CHANGES
See Flight 2000 for schematic help

[x] add to your favorites (do this now!)
-mof

GAMEPLAY TUTORIAL

MODS (required for new targets)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-overhaul-my-attempt-to-resurrect-a-long-dormant-machine/page/3#post-4416618

#5 8 years ago

Good news.
John Greatwich is open to the idea of reproducing Nine Ball playfields for us, but just like Seawitch and Star Gazer, he'll need artwork to get that done.
It's time to be on the lookout for a NOS PF (and ship it to John before installing it.)
-mof

#10 8 years ago

I'm in! (As you can see from the pic below, I'll be dreaming of a reproduction playfield in 2016.)
-mof

Resto thread will go up within a few days...
-mof

201504_Nine-flash-pf-day1.jpg201504_Nine-flash-pf-day1.jpg

#22 8 years ago

I'll be looking for a lot of help to get this Nine Ball booted and healthy... resto thread will be here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-nine-ball-mof-20150405
-mof

#23 8 years ago

How do you get a 3-ball multiball?
I watched the PAPA vid, and he got 2-ball twice.
-mof

#24 8 years ago

Has anyone found a rule sheet?
I found this vid for rules, and they sound GREAT. Do you have anything to add/change from his description?
-mof

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

Since we can share our missing Nine ball parts in this club, is there someone here who knows where I could find one of those brackets that hold the bottom of the playfield below the lockbar. One of mines is broken, and it breaks my heart.
Broken bracket.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I would recommend asking in the 2518 club, since someone may have an extra from another game.
-mof
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I did not do that....

I asked Ron Kruzman (who searches for PFs full time) -- if he's ever seen a 9B PF. His answer was, "never, not even a nice used one."

I think Classic_Stern hit the 9B jackpot...

-mof

#35 8 years ago

I'm worried about these last two targets. There appears to be a lot of plastic missing. Do I need to replace these two?
-mof

201504_Nine-8-drops.jpg201504_Nine-8-drops.jpg201504_Nine-drops-2-closeup.jpg201504_Nine-drops-2-closeup.jpg

#37 8 years ago

I learned from Marco that if you want to replace the metal sleeve in the monster solenoid for the 8-drop you use this sleeve, and trim it 1/4"
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-7068
-mof

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

Fair warning, I replaced the drops on my NB after one broke, and I regretted it. The pinball resource replacements are different, they are much less smooth feeling and harder to sweep. I'd try to make the old ones work.

Yeah, I'm wondering if plastex can help in this situation, or it's too much abuse for a tiny plastic addition.
-mof

#44 8 years ago

I wonder why PBR would "produce" drops that people are not happy with -- the rest of their inventory seems great... ?

-mof

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The mold Steve has is slightly short. He knows that and tells customers that. It is what it is. Its fine, you just have to modify to make perfect and reset properly. We are lucky to still be able to get something new.

After doing these mods, can you go back to using older targets?
-mof

#49 8 years ago

Rats, I guess I'm a bit blind today. I can't where find in the manual it explains what each of the MPU settings are for settings 1 through 18. I accidentally reset #4 and #5 and now I can't play a free game. I have an alltek set to freeplay mode. My displays are sketchy, so it's tough to know exactly what's what.

-mof

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

I read on the Internet Pinball Database that the inspiration for the wizard design on our beloved pinball machine came from the art on a t-shirt. This t-shirt is reproduced in Roger Sharpe's 1977 book "Pinball!", but I don't have it.
I found this t-shirt art on the internet, from Roach Studios, dated 1974. Is this it ? Certainly looks like it.
Pinball Wizard.jpg

Quite inspirational, I'll say.
-mof

#53 8 years ago

Another thing...

In the end of this video, we see that there are controlled lamps in the backbox where different billiard balls flash. I'm rather sure mine doesn't do this. Has anyone seen this? I wonder if that would be an Alltek issue?

-mof

#55 8 years ago

There are FOUR good nine ball videos in the world. If you have a nice playing one, we could sure use one more good video up there to balance things out.

-mof

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Just wanted to make a brief comment even though I don't own one. Great game. Steve Kirk design at top form. Very unusual and very hard. Cool background sounds and I dig the the wizard art, though it does seem a little out of place for a pool themed table but...they were thinking outside the box. Would definitely pick up a project one for the right price.

I dig all the zany bank shots and the way you pocket the ball off in the corner off the pop bumper.
There are a few for sale across the US right now on CL.
-mof

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

My guess is those are 455 flashers.

Ohhh. is that normal? Do they belong in certain spots?
-mof

#62 8 years ago

I'm getting a lot of bricked shots into the spinner. I took a closer look, and I realize it doesn't hang like the other spinners do. My other spinners have a short side and a long side, and the short side always hangs low. This nine ball spinner sometimes hangs sideways or upside down, and you miss a lot of good shots. I already ran some 0000 steel wool on the various parts, and a few 1/2 drops of silicon, and it spins GREAT, but it sure doesn't stop and sit correctly.

Any ideas?
-mof

#71 8 years ago

Do these issues mean that Nine Ball might be on the $hit list for tournaments?
-mof

#74 8 years ago

Wait a sec... is Nine Ball 6-digit or 7-digit displays?
-mof

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Just find some used ones and paint or decal them

I did, I found 3 used drops from a Big Game. For now, I'll just put the number behind the number of the target it represents and see if the drops work better =)

I have two problems:

1. The two targets on the end don't pop up all the way (lack of plastic) so I'll replace those 2.

2. Left-most target doesn't go DOWN all the way -- I'm not sure yet what would cause that. Bear in mind, I already dismantled and cleaned everything by hand. I was surprised when this happened. All springs looked to be in great condition to me. So I'm not sure what might "rub wrong" against a target when it doesn't drop all the way.

I'll dismantle the big drops tonight or tomorrow night and take a deeper look.

-mof

#78 8 years ago

With each step on my shop job -- I'm slowly learning the magic of Nine Ball. What a great layout. I think the theme integration via the layout is excellent -- there are so many interesting ricochet shots -- I never thought that I could take a shot and end up hitting like 3 different value targets (without a pop or sling assist). Spinner (bounce) drop target (bounce) another drop target bank (or pocketing the ball in multiball area)

What a neat pin!
-mof

#80 8 years ago

WHY.
ARE.
ALL.
MY.
SWITCH.
LEAVES.
INSTALLED.
BACKWARDS.

Seriously, all of them on the game. Some day I'll have to flip them all.
-mof

201504_Nine-switch4-backwards.jpg201504_Nine-switch4-backwards.jpg

#82 8 years ago

Is this light bulb line of sight like this for you? I wasn't sure if my plastic was broken.
If so -- then I need to put a condom on it. I have no patience for line of sight issues with 44s.
-mof

201504_Nine-light-bleed1.jpg201504_Nine-light-bleed1.jpg201504_Nine-light-bleed2.jpg201504_Nine-light-bleed2.jpg

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

151634604008_1_0_1.jpg

Yeah, it's just a design flaw, it's LOS for sure. Put a condom on it, and move along...
-mof

#86 8 years ago

Where's a good schematic for Nine Ball?
I was using the Seawitch as a guide, and I realize that the seawitch schematics do NOT match the SDB in my Seawitch OR my Nine Ball.
-mof

2 weeks later
#89 8 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of the schematics for Nine Ball?
I want to trouble shoot the missing millions digit in a few displays, and it's not the displays.
-mof

1 month later
#95 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Just joined the 9-ball club!

Oh yell ya...
-mof

3 weeks later
#100 8 years ago

Does anyone have an extra of the top left corner plastic about 1" by 2" that covers the center of the horseshoe?

thanks,
mof

nine-ball-piece.pngnine-ball-piece.png

#101 8 years ago

I was hoping maybe someone bought a new plastic set and has this old part still in one piece...
-mof

2 weeks later
#103 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Any thoughts on this:
The left lane kick out hole is not working the way it should.
It fires in solenoid test, fires to clear a left over ball at startup, and fires correctly to eject all three balls to start multi-ball.
However, if a ball lands in there before the 5 ball is lit, it should get kicked out and go back to regular single ball play. It doesn't. The ball just sits there, stranded. Does not go into ball search, or kick a new ball to the shooter. Game just sits and waits. Forever.
This is not a switch problem, all three multi-ball switches work correctly, and so do all three trough switches.
Is this a ROM version problem (ROMs say Rev. 60 on them) or is it something else?

I have the same problem.
Mof

1 week later
#107 8 years ago

<bump> for a guy in need of 1 plastic.

Has anyone kicked down for a new set of plastics?

Well, here's one to protect with a protector:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome/page/2#post-2608671

If you have an old one, I'd be happy to hear from you...

-mof

1 year later
3 weeks later
#262 6 years ago

I must be doing it wrong -- item says "out of stock"
-mof

11 months later
#288 5 years ago

You can order a bg from John G. If you want to skip that effort. Not sure about shipping though.

Mof

3 weeks later
#328 5 years ago

Quick rules question: What are the best shots to take while in multi-ball (with standard roms)? I don't see 3x-scoring inserts on the playfield -- is there any scoring benefit to being in multi-ball mode?

-mof

2 weeks later
#345 5 years ago

Only one drawback I see to early Sterns -- when do they learn to incorporate hurry ups in a solid state?

Williams: Black Knight - 1980
Bally: Viking - 1979
Stern: ???
Gottlieb: ???

1 week later
4 weeks later
1 month later
#411 5 years ago

EPIC engineering there...
love the candy stripes

1 year later
5 months later
#696 4 years ago

Did you vote in this poll?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-vs-big-game

I haven't played much catacomb, but -- I just can't stand bagatelles holding up my pinball game...

#706 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Quicksilver-Viper-Catacomb-Freefall-Orbiter1-Iron Maiden-Seawitch

Did you just lump all these games into one bucket?

Based on what objectively measurable parameter?

-mof

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

one thing that I can't really stand

Ok I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something objectively measurable that I was missing, I was like wtf!
-mof

1 year later
10 months later
#1119 1 year ago

No way...
Gratz !!!

scroll to the end for the wizard...

8 months later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.