IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Classic_Stern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago

Here is a picture of mine after the NOS swap....

DSCF1184.JPGDSCF1184.JPG
#16 9 years ago

A nice picture old / new...

DSCF1152.JPGDSCF1152.JPG
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Looks beautiful! Any chance you had that NOS playfield scanned before installing?

I did not do that....

#31 9 years ago

That is why they call me the Mayor of NOSington....I sniff, hunt and peck around like a fidgety collector . Rack em and stack em....Over the years some of my better parts finds.... NOS seawitch playfield and backglass; NOS Nineball field and backglass; NOS stargazer backglass, NOS quicksilver backglass; NOS Stones field, NOS Solarfire Field and backglass; NOS Pharoah backglass and field; Steve Kirks Gamatron and Whitewood; 3 Gamatron NOS fields; 3 Gamatron NOS plastic sets; Andromeda whitewood (Didn't buy); NOS skateball field and backglass; NOS Paragon backglasses (2); NOS Frontier field and backglass; NOS Viking field and backglass; NOS Earthshaker fields (2); NOS Mystic backglass; NOS Playboy 35th field, ramps and plastics; NOS Embryon glass; NOS Ground shaker field and glass. 3 - Original EK NOS fields (All sold).

What can I say. I like new parts and mint games....

#42 9 years ago

You can use the ones from resource but you have to replace them all and modify the bank. You have to add a shim to the bottom of the bank the exact distance they are short up to the field so they are flush. Then you also have to grind the reset plunger by the said same shim thickness. That will equal out the target being short by about 1/8 of an inch. All is good then.

#43 9 years ago

So buy new and do the modifications. I should of added that. I have all circles except 1 standard S target from another stern bank. If I had 3 questionable I would replace all of them and modify the bank.

#45 9 years ago

The mold Steve has is slightly short. He knows that and tells customers that. It is what it is. Its fine, you just have to modify to make perfect and reset properly. We are lucky to still be able to get something new.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from onetaste:

I've heard that the code on Nine Ball was very problematic. If I have a long multiball with 3 balls, one that lasts for a couple of minutes or more, when the 2nd ball drains and I have one ball left in play the ball ends and the game starts counting the bonus. Has anyone else experience this?

I believe this is another myth. The code was problematic when switches were missed or switches were hit and others were at the same time. i.e. pop bumper and drop target almost simultaneously. The pop bumper does not fire. Also balls in the kick out hold if switches are missed.

#68 9 years ago

I have had a Nineball for 15years. I have had no code issues. My game is 100% functional. So I do believe some of this is just non-working error code issues with switches that don't make close or i.e. error out.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So neither of these problems occur on your game (from clays site http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/9ball.htm ), and you never have the occasional problem where the bonus keeps adding up at the end of the 3rd ball forever? The pin knows the game is over, so it can't be some dirty switch..... :
==========
The problem occurs after the numbered drop targets are hit (in order.) After the 5th ball drop target is hit (in order), and the ball is locked in the left side multi-ball lane, a new ball will be delivered to the shooter lane. If the shooter lane switch is not seen (because the switch is dirty or mis-adjusted or the player is holding the plunger, preventing the ball from closing the shooter lane switch), the game will continually kick balls to the shooter lane (causing an impromptu multi-ball.) This is weird because the player could have long sent the ball to the playfield, with the game scoring, yet a few seconds later, another ball is delivered to the shooter lane. Essentially the game gets "lost" and usually won't fix itself without draining all balls or doing a power cycle.
Another problem happens if say the #1 drop target is down, and as ball goes into the left multi-ball lane, it hits the #2 drop target (easy to do since the #2 target is at the lane entrance.) At this point the game should auto-drop the #2 target (a function of the left multiball trough lane), but the ball dropped the #2 target before going into the left side trough. Now the game will continually try and drop that #2 target over and over, looking for the target to drop (but it's already down!) There's no fixing this problem without a power cycle (or but sliding the glass back, lifting the #2 target, and letting the game drop it.)
=====================================

No again these are from dirty or mis adjusted switches. Especially the first one. Never... I have played and people have play literally 1000's of games on my nineball and never seen number 2. Does the switch on the #2 target have to be mis adjusted or the 1st switch on the 3 ball lock not registering ?

I can generate all kinds of problems if the game has switch issues. That is the weakness in the software is error recovery. Then you have to power cycle.

3 weeks later
#90 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is not a bad idea

Actually it is an awesome game for tourney's. Had mine in the TPF tourney a few years ago. Everyone loved it.

9 months later
#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Just played Nine Ball this weekend, really interesting game - I'm warming up to early Sterns and would love to add Nine Ball and Meteor to my collection. Too bad the sound effects on Nine Ball are a little weak.
Only thing about having old Stern machines is that it sounds like it's difficult to replace parts?...............

Depends...

#126 8 years ago

DSCF1184_(resized).JPGDSCF1184_(resized).JPG

I was fortunate to find this NOS field about 10 years ago. This is the finished product. In my gameroom today.

IMG_3420_(resized).JPGIMG_3420_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#131 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Found one!!! Coming home soon!

IMG_0974_zpsneaelo3k_(resized).jpg

Beautiful. Nice score....Oh the Nineball honeymoon is so sweet. Fresh pin meat!!!

#133 8 years ago

I would be very careful but you have to go with pure white. I was doing some LED's in my Frontier and what a frickin' mess. They are so many different color's of white, blue, red, green. It is beyond reasonable. Anyway....My rant is over. White LED's have to be white, not blue or green. Green LED's have to be green, no some shade of lime or green dark tree. I have done a about 10 games in LED's and the ones I bought many years ago I am out of and it is sad. I am not sure there is white LED's anymore.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I'm starting to use comets sunlight white in all my GI for the older stuff. My Ali, Flash Gordon, and Harlem all have them and I like it quite a bit.

LED's in GI can be really bad and limit the amount of light on a playfield since there is quite a reduction in total spectral response. I don't like them in this application and in Control lamps are reasonable as long as the white is white, green is green, etc. The spectral response of some of the most recent LED's is HORRIBLE>.... My take.

You have to be very careful and I target some colors in limited area's for effect. In most cases I like to add extra GI lights to my games and also use new sockets with 44's for maximum brightness as in the good ole' days.

3 weeks later
#145 8 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I did that on quicksilver and Iron Maiden and work like a charme, you don't need to sand a lot to remove the cupping. You have to be sure to be on a flat surface and making an 8 with the insert to be sure the sanding is equal all around

Solid advice right there

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Is it just me or do classic Sterns just scream "sexy?" Seriously, I'm falling in love with these games more than any others I've owned!

Yea, Especially the ball flow. Sexy Beasts!!!!

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Sent my pf out to HSA on Thursday. Geez, I already miss this game! The sign of good things to come!!!

Well, Hopefully Brian has figured these out. You have to 2 part epoxy every insert and then on the top use liquid super glue for every insert and with a classic stern it has to be thick 2 or 3 coats max. Anything other then this and the inserts will craze. Last time I talked to Brian a few years ago he was not taking classic sterns so this is a good sign. I hope it works fine and no crazing.

I would of said something but I was cave diving on the Yucatan last week

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I had my Nineball pf touched up and cleared by HSA
He did a fantastic job

I bet...

How many years are you in and how are the inserts holding up>? The clear around them/ ? Anything special ?

I still use Brian but I know at one time he quit taking Classic stern fields but I am assuming he got it resolved then.

5 months later
#173 7 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I thought you guys would appreciate this. Been looking for an NB for years, got one a couple weeks ago... Naturally, another one should surface! So, for the time being, i have 2!!!

Its great to have 2 or 3 of the same title to perfect' the best example.

2 weeks later
#177 7 years ago

I was fortunate to find a NOS Nineball Playfield. Yup those were the days. I didn't wrap it in a layer for "Glazed Donut" clear either. Didn't have too.

DSCF1149 (resized).JPGDSCF1149 (resized).JPG
DSCF1184 (resized).JPGDSCF1184 (resized).JPG

#179 7 years ago

Yea, We made some rules together. In my game I have 3 ball multiball scores 4X playfield. 2 ball is 2X when 1 drains.

3 years later
#740 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes. I can spell it out for you.
All of them have at least one thing that I can't really stand.
I will refer to these as "gimmicks":
Viper - that cannon mech thing that you fire
Freefall - freefall mech for balls
Orbitor 1 - playfield that isn't flat
Catacomb - a random bagatelle that is essential to scoring big points in the game
Star Gazer - rollovers inside slings - yes the timed spinner value/drop completion rule is cool but not cool enough for me to own it.
These are less gimmicky but the layouts make no sense to me:
Quicksilver - why is there a huge drop target assembly blocking half the playfield?
Seawitch - debatable but those right and left loops are not designed properly
Iron Maiden - spinner rules that get it up to 6K per spin are fun but what in the hell is the point of this gigantic upper/lower playfield with skill shot taking up half the upper? It plays a bit like flight 2000 but seems overly complicated, bonus ball feature, 3 different bonus multipliers, 3 ball multiball, ect.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/iron-maiden/stories/iron-maiden-rules-and-play
Now, the artwork is amazing on a lot of these games. But I'm a pinball player, not an art collector.
It's just personal preference. You can choose to like them, I am listing some of the reasons that I don't.
Besides, this is "Nine Ball Club" not "Classic Stern Club".

No crap. Nine ball is the only game that is worth a piece. The rest of the Classic Stern's are JUNK!!!!... I am glad someone realizes this beyond myself.

1 week later
#759 3 years ago

This was the NOS field I put in my Nineball many years ago. The double picture has my original which was pretty nice and since sold it. We did this swap in 9 hours. Speed matters

DSCF1153 (resized).JPGDSCF1153 (resized).JPGDSCF1128 (resized).JPGDSCF1128 (resized).JPGDSCF1152 (resized).JPGDSCF1152 (resized).JPGDSCF1184 (resized).JPGDSCF1184 (resized).JPG
5 months later
#835 3 years ago

Pretty sweet stuff. I like the color saturation. Here is my original NOS for comparison....My old field on left.!!!

DSCF1152 (resized).JPGDSCF1152 (resized).JPG
#837 3 years ago

Steve Kirk would be proud!!! The man at the shop!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Classic_Stern.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome?tu=Classic_Stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.