Topic Stats

• 848 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 313 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 4.47.28 PM (resized).png
20201223_144303 (resized).jpg
DSCF1152 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 9.15.42 AM (resized).png
Screenshot_20201210-111816_Chrome (resized).jpg
20201210_111844 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201210-111714_Chrome (resized).jpg
20201210_111905 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201210-111637_Chrome (resized).jpg
20200727_173728 (resized).jpg
16073076968358737442289601464510 (resized).jpg
BE44CEBC-50DD-4C7B-93C2-AF9B5AD868B0 (resized).jpeg
Nine Ball_stitch-- (resized).jpg

There are 848 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

I read on the Internet Pinball Database that the inspiration for the wizard design on our beloved pinball machine came from the art on a t-shirt. This t-shirt is reproduced in Roger Sharpe's 1977 book "Pinball!", but I don't have it.
I found this t-shirt art on the internet, from Roach Studios, dated 1974. Is this it ? Certainly looks like it.
Pinball Wizard.jpg

Quite inspirational, I'll say.
-mof

#53 5 years ago

Another thing...

In the end of this video, we see that there are controlled lamps in the backbox where different billiard balls flash. I'm rather sure mine doesn't do this. Has anyone seen this? I wonder if that would be an Alltek issue?

-mof

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

I read on the Internet Pinball Database that the inspiration for the wizard design on our beloved pinball machine came from the art on a t-shirt. This t-shirt is reproduced in Roger Sharpe's 1977 book "Pinball!", but I don't have it.
I found this t-shirt art on the internet, from Roach Studios, dated 1974. Is this it ? Certainly looks like it.
Pinball Wizard.jpg

pinwiz.jpg

#55 5 years ago

There are FOUR good nine ball videos in the world. If you have a nice playing one, we could sure use one more good video up there to balance things out.

-mof

#56 5 years ago

Just wanted to make a brief comment even though I don't own one. Great game. Steve Kirk design at top form. Very unusual and very hard. Cool background sounds and I dig the the wizard art, though it does seem a little out of place for a pool themed table but...they were thinking outside the box. Would definitely pick up a project one for the right price.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Just wanted to make a brief comment even though I don't own one. Great game. Steve Kirk design at top form. Very unusual and very hard. Cool background sounds and I dig the the wizard art, though it does seem a little out of place for a pool themed table but...they were thinking outside the box. Would definitely pick up a project one for the right price.

I dig all the zany bank shots and the way you pocket the ball off in the corner off the pop bumper.
There are a few for sale across the US right now on CL.
-mof

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Another thing...
» YouTube video
In the end of this video, we see that there are controlled lamps in the backbox where different billiard balls flash. I'm rather sure mine doesn't do this. Has anyone seen this? I wonder if that would be an Alltek issue?
-mof

My guess is those are 455 flashers.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

My guess is those are 455 flashers.

Ohhh. is that normal? Do they belong in certain spots?
-mof

#60 5 years ago

They just go in the GI. Many older games had them in the backglass or pop bumpers.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Cool background sounds and I dig the the wizard art, though it does seem a little out of place for a pool themed table but...they were thinking outside the box.

The "artist" that painted the backglass was just an ordinary dude that worked at the print shop that printed Sterns backglasses. True story.

#62 5 years ago

I'm getting a lot of bricked shots into the spinner. I took a closer look, and I realize it doesn't hang like the other spinners do. My other spinners have a short side and a long side, and the short side always hangs low. This nine ball spinner sometimes hangs sideways or upside down, and you miss a lot of good shots. I already ran some 0000 steel wool on the various parts, and a few 1/2 drops of silicon, and it spins GREAT, but it sure doesn't stop and sit correctly.

Any ideas?
-mof

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

You can use the ones from resource but you have to replace them all and modify the bank. You have to add a shim to the bottom of the bank the exact distance they are short up to the field so they are flush. Then you also have to grind the reset plunger by the said same shim thickness. That will equal out the target being short by about 1/8 of an inch. All is good then.

Great to see a nine ball thread, it's one of my favourite solid state machines.

I've got a 9 ball and a set of PBR targets but haven't installed them yet. I don't understand what you mean when you say 'add a shim to the bottom of the bank'. What's a shim?

#64 5 years ago

I've heard that the code on Nine Ball was very problematic. If I have a long multiball with 3 balls, one that lasts for a couple of minutes or more, when the 2nd ball drains and I have one ball left in play the ball ends and the game starts counting the bonus. Has anyone else experience this?

#65 5 years ago

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from onetaste:

I've heard that the code on Nine Ball was very problematic. If I have a long multiball with 3 balls, one that lasts for a couple of minutes or more, when the 2nd ball drains and I have one ball left in play the ball ends and the game starts counting the bonus. Has anyone else experience this?

I believe this is another myth. The code was problematic when switches were missed or switches were hit and others were at the same time. i.e. pop bumper and drop target almost simultaneously. The pop bumper does not fire. Also balls in the kick out hold if switches are missed.

#67 5 years ago

A few years ago a gent from RGP sent me a code revision that he wrote.

It fixed the drop target lock up nonsense and the bonus problems.

It introduced some other bug that a few of us testers reported, and he said he would fix it.

So it is not impossible to fix the crappy software in the game, it's just going to take some dedication.

#68 5 years ago

I have had a Nineball for 15years. I have had no code issues. My game is 100% functional. So I do believe some of this is just non-working error code issues with switches that don't make close or i.e. error out.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I have had no code issues.

So neither of these problems occur on your game (from clays site http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/9ball.htm ), and you never have the occasional problem where the bonus keeps adding up at the end of the 3rd ball forever? The pin knows the game is over, so it can't be some dirty switch..... :

==========
The problem occurs after the numbered drop targets are hit (in order.) After the 5th ball drop target is hit (in order), and the ball is locked in the left side multi-ball lane, a new ball will be delivered to the shooter lane. If the shooter lane switch is not seen (because the switch is dirty or mis-adjusted or the player is holding the plunger, preventing the ball from closing the shooter lane switch), the game will continually kick balls to the shooter lane (causing an impromptu multi-ball.) This is weird because the player could have long sent the ball to the playfield, with the game scoring, yet a few seconds later, another ball is delivered to the shooter lane. Essentially the game gets "lost" and usually won't fix itself without draining all balls or doing a power cycle.

Another problem happens if say the #1 drop target is down, and as ball goes into the left multi-ball lane, it hits the #2 drop target (easy to do since the #2 target is at the lane entrance.) At this point the game should auto-drop the #2 target (a function of the left multiball trough lane), but the ball dropped the #2 target before going into the left side trough. Now the game will continually try and drop that #2 target over and over, looking for the target to drop (but it's already down!) There's no fixing this problem without a power cycle (or but sliding the glass back, lifting the #2 target, and letting the game drop it.)

=====================================

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

and you never have the occasional problem where the bonus keeps adding up at the end of the 3rd ball forever?

Never heard of this one, but the problem doesn't surprise me. Meteor has the same issue with the occasional 255 bonus count cycles.

#71 5 years ago

Do these issues mean that Nine Ball might be on the $hit list for tournaments?
-mof

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do these issues mean that Nine Ball might be on the $hit list for tournaments?
-mof

No....it's all good...

nb_tourney.jpg

#73 5 years ago

I've had my NB for many years and have not had any code issues. It was also used at a MGC tourney a few years ago and nothing was reported to me then either.

#74 5 years ago

Wait a sec... is Nine Ball 6-digit or 7-digit displays?
-mof

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So neither of these problems occur on your game (from clays site http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/9ball.htm ), and you never have the occasional problem where the bonus keeps adding up at the end of the 3rd ball forever? The pin knows the game is over, so it can't be some dirty switch..... :
==========
The problem occurs after the numbered drop targets are hit (in order.) After the 5th ball drop target is hit (in order), and the ball is locked in the left side multi-ball lane, a new ball will be delivered to the shooter lane. If the shooter lane switch is not seen (because the switch is dirty or mis-adjusted or the player is holding the plunger, preventing the ball from closing the shooter lane switch), the game will continually kick balls to the shooter lane (causing an impromptu multi-ball.) This is weird because the player could have long sent the ball to the playfield, with the game scoring, yet a few seconds later, another ball is delivered to the shooter lane. Essentially the game gets "lost" and usually won't fix itself without draining all balls or doing a power cycle.
Another problem happens if say the #1 drop target is down, and as ball goes into the left multi-ball lane, it hits the #2 drop target (easy to do since the #2 target is at the lane entrance.) At this point the game should auto-drop the #2 target (a function of the left multiball trough lane), but the ball dropped the #2 target before going into the left side trough. Now the game will continually try and drop that #2 target over and over, looking for the target to drop (but it's already down!) There's no fixing this problem without a power cycle (or but sliding the glass back, lifting the #2 target, and letting the game drop it.)
=====================================

No again these are from dirty or mis adjusted switches. Especially the first one. Never... I have played and people have play literally 1000's of games on my nineball and never seen number 2. Does the switch on the #2 target have to be mis adjusted or the 1st switch on the 3 ball lock not registering ?

I can generate all kinds of problems if the game has switch issues. That is the weakness in the software is error recovery. Then you have to power cycle.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Just find some used ones and paint or decal them

I did, I found 3 used drops from a Big Game. For now, I'll just put the number behind the number of the target it represents and see if the drops work better =)

I have two problems:

1. The two targets on the end don't pop up all the way (lack of plastic) so I'll replace those 2.

2. Left-most target doesn't go DOWN all the way -- I'm not sure yet what would cause that. Bear in mind, I already dismantled and cleaned everything by hand. I was surprised when this happened. All springs looked to be in great condition to me. So I'm not sure what might "rub wrong" against a target when it doesn't drop all the way.

I'll dismantle the big drops tonight or tomorrow night and take a deeper look.

-mof

#77 5 years ago

Would like to know if the upper left gate , has a wire or not.

Ordered on marco different gate brackets, but it was every time the bad size

Had never been able to find this model A-471 somewhere

Any info please

Thanks
Lionel

#78 5 years ago

With each step on my shop job -- I'm slowly learning the magic of Nine Ball. What a great layout. I think the theme integration via the layout is excellent -- there are so many interesting ricochet shots -- I never thought that I could take a shot and end up hitting like 3 different value targets (without a pop or sling assist). Spinner (bounce) drop target (bounce) another drop target bank (or pocketing the ball in multiball area)

What a neat pin!
-mof

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

With each step on my shop job -- I'm slowly learning the magic of Nine Ball. What a great layout. I think the theme integration via the layout is excellent -- there are so many interesting ricochet shots -- I never thought that I could take a shot and end up hitting like 3 different value targets (without a pop or sling assist). Spinner (bounce) drop target (bounce) another drop target bank (or pocketing the ball in multiball area)
What a neat pin!
-mof

That's the genius of the Stern design team

#80 5 years ago

WHY.
ARE.
ALL.
MY.
SWITCH.
LEAVES.
INSTALLED.
BACKWARDS.

Seriously, all of them on the game. Some day I'll have to flip them all.
-mof

201504_Nine-switch4-backwards.jpg

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Nine Ball might be on the $hit list for tournaments?

It is not a bad idea

#82 5 years ago

Is this light bulb line of sight like this for you? I wasn't sure if my plastic was broken.
If so -- then I need to put a condom on it. I have no patience for line of sight issues with 44s.
-mof

201504_Nine-light-bleed1.jpg201504_Nine-light-bleed2.jpg

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is this light bulb line of sight like this for you? I wasn't sure if my plastic was broken.
If so -- then I need to put a condom on it. I have no patience for line of sight issues with 44s.
-mof

Get a 3 LED strip from Comet, plug it into the socket (after reversing the leads) and lay it half way up to the corner. That corner looks a little dark anyway.

#84 5 years ago
151634604008_1_0_1.jpg
#85 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

151634604008_1_0_1.jpg

Yeah, it's just a design flaw, it's LOS for sure. Put a condom on it, and move along...
-mof

#86 5 years ago

Where's a good schematic for Nine Ball?
I was using the Seawitch as a guide, and I realize that the seawitch schematics do NOT match the SDB in my Seawitch OR my Nine Ball.
-mof

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

There are a few bulbs that are annoying on this machine. I replace them all with Faceted LEDs and they really look nice on this machine in my opinion. I use these from Comet:

Faceted.JPG

Mac

#88 5 years ago

Looking for the large, upper left corner to center plastic if any one has a decent extra one. Mine is broken. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#89 5 years ago

Does anyone have a copy of the schematics for Nine Ball?
I want to trouble shoot the missing millions digit in a few displays, and it's not the displays.
-mof

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is not a bad idea

Actually it is an awesome game for tourney's. Had mine in the TPF tourney a few years ago. Everyone loved it.

4 weeks later
#91 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Wait a sec... is Nine Ball 6-digit or 7-digit displays?
-mof

7 digit, and I've never seen it rolled/clocked. My highest score is 4M (3 ball no extra balls)

4 weeks later
#92 5 years ago

Just joined the 9-ball club!
Picked up this one:
http://michiganpinball.com/mikegames/9ball/index.html

Yeah, the cabinet is pretty harsh, and there is some playfield wear, but it plays great.
Loving it so far!

#93 5 years ago

Just got my PF back from HSA

Wow they did amazing work!

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#94 5 years ago

I also just recently joined the club. Once I get my reset issue fixed I may actually have a game that lasts more than a few seconds.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Just joined the 9-ball club!

Oh yell ya...
-mof

1 week later
#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Very nice. Do you have a 'before' image?

#97 5 years ago

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

1 week later
#98 5 years ago

One question I have in gameplay is if no balls are locked after the 5 is hit sometimes and I can't recall when this happens cause the game is so freekin fast, while hitting the ball around the bank of targets start dropping like a ball was locked and another is kicked into the shooter lane. Could the lock switch gap be too close? Also happens when the shoot again light is flashing.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

image.jpg image_1.jpg

Any chance you could scan the playfield before you populate it? I could really use a scan. The cluster of balls above the flippers is, well, a cluster, on mine.

Mac

#100 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra of the top left corner plastic about 1" by 2" that covers the center of the horseshoe?

thanks,
mof

nine-ball-piece.png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 899.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
There are 848 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside