IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

There are 1,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 27.
#701 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You accidentally got Catacomb in the same sentence as NB and Big Game. Catacomb is a pointless piece of crap. It’s right up there with Viper. Yawn.

You do know that in order to like Nine Ball you don't have to hate the rest of the Stern titles?
For my own purposes I will agree with you about Catacomb though. If anyone wants to unload their pointless piece of crap for cheap, let me know.

#702 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

You do know that in order to like Nine Ball you don't have to hate the rest of the Stern titles?

Well there's hating a game which is fine, and then there's saying it's as bad as Viper; not cool.

#703 4 years ago

cottonm4
If you can send Thrillhouse your template, he can laser cut a clean one AND make it available to everyone.
https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well there's hating a game which is fine, and then there's saying it's as bad as Viper; not cool.

Lol. That's actually really funny. I'm just going to crank it up one more small notch and come out and say it - Ali is better than Catacomb and for that matter, Meteor and Galaxy are WAY better than Catacomb. Plus, you can buy all three of them for less money!

I like playing most classic Sterns but just have zero tolerance for certain quirky titles that stray away from solid pinball standards, have bagatelle gimmicks, or have off center shots on purpose. Quicksilver-Viper-Catacomb-Freefall-Orbiter1-Iron Maiden-Seawitch-ect. It would be great to find these because I would fix them up and sell them all to buy what I feel are better playing games. There is a big difference between saying a game is good and actually owning one. Also, don't confuse price and rarity with how well a machine plays.

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

cottonm4
If you can send thrillhouse your template, he can laser cut a clean one AND make it available to everyone.
https://beehivepinball.bigcartel.com/product/playshield-playfield-protector

Which template you are you speaking of? The Star Gazer back box template you gave to me?

Or my Nine Ball? I don't have a template. I do have the protector that I hand cut but it is installed. I can take it off without easily enough and make another to ship, but I would need to talk to Thrillhouse to see if my cuts would even work for him. I'll send him a PM

#706 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Quicksilver-Viper-Catacomb-Freefall-Orbiter1-Iron Maiden-Seawitch

Did you just lump all these games into one bucket?

Based on what objectively measurable parameter?

-mof

#707 4 years ago

Its been awhile since I've posted in the Nine Ball Thread.

I won't say much about one game being better than another. . . but I will say I have yet to tire of playing Nine Ball after a couple years of ownership. It gets played more than the Williams IJ and Dirty Harry on either side of it. It must be the spinner!

IMG_7804 (resized).JPGIMG_7804 (resized).JPG
#708 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I won't say much about one game being better than another. . . but I will say I have yet to tire of playing Nine Ball after a couple years of ownership. It gets played more than the Williams IJ and Dirty Harry on either side of it. It must be the spinner! [quoted image]

No. I think it is because you are in love with and can't stop looking at that play field you restored into beautiful condition.

#709 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Did you just lump all these games into one bucket?
Based on what objectively measurable parameter?
-mof

Yes. I can spell it out for you.

All of them have at least one thing that I can't really stand.

I will refer to these as "gimmicks":
Viper - that cannon mech thing that you fire
Freefall - freefall mech for balls
Orbitor 1 - playfield that isn't flat
Catacomb - a random bagatelle that is essential to scoring big points in the game
Star Gazer - rollovers inside slings - yes the timed spinner value/drop completion rule is cool but not cool enough for me to own it.

These are less gimmicky but the layouts make no sense to me:
Quicksilver - why is there a huge drop target assembly blocking half the playfield?
Seawitch - debatable but those right and left loops are not designed properly
Iron Maiden - spinner rules that get it up to 6K per spin are fun but what in the hell is the point of this gigantic upper/lower playfield with skill shot taking up half the upper? It plays a bit like flight 2000 but seems overly complicated, bonus ball feature, 3 different bonus multipliers, 3 ball multiball, ect.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/iron-maiden/stories/iron-maiden-rules-and-play

Now, the artwork is amazing on a lot of these games. But I'm a pinball player, not an art collector.

It's just personal preference. You can choose to like them, I am listing some of the reasons that I don't.

Besides, this is "Nine Ball Club" not "Classic Stern Club".

#710 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I won't say much about one game being better than another. . . but I will say I have yet to tire of playing Nine Ball after a couple years of ownership. It gets played more than the Williams IJ and Dirty Harry on either side of it. It must be the spinner! [quoted image]

It's not just the spinner. Steve really put a lot of thought into all aspects of this game. I think it's the best game that he designed. Layout, rules, art. It has some cool features, some of which could be considered gimmicks but the key here is that they NEVER detract from the gameplay. Most oddball gimmicks in pinball take away from the game play too much and serve as a distraction. The only gripe I ever had about the game was that some of the code for switches had flaws in it but those are being fixed as we type.

#711 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:It's not just the spinner.

I agree! When I'm putting thought into my game Nine Ball gives me options. . . do I hit the billiard ball drop targets. . . do I go for the horseshoe. . . do I build up my bonus with the three bank drop targets. . . or do I go for the spinner and hope it careens over into the multi-ball lock. A lot of strategy for an early SS game.

I also really dig the clicking/resetting sound of the memory drop target bank as I play -- it adds an additional element of auditory stimulation beyond the standard soundtrack.

Nine Ball also has several "I was so close" scenarios that keeps you coming back -- whether you were one ball away from nine, one lock away from multi-ball, or one horseshoe loop away from 173K its always tempting to try again.

Looking forward to the software rewrite if a 2X or 3X playfield score can be incorporated into multi-ball and if the spinner count is visible.

#712 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Catacomb - a random bagatelle that is essential to scoring big points in the game
Star Gazer - rollovers inside slings - yes the timed spinner value/drop completion rule is cool but not cool enough for me to own it.
Quicksilver - why is there a huge drop target assembly blocking half the playfield?
Iron Maiden - spinner rules that get it up to 6K per spin are fun but what in the hell is the point of this gigantic upper/lower playfield with skill shot taking up half the upper? It plays a bit like flight 2000 but seems overly complicated, bonus ball feature, 3 different bonus multipliers, 3 ball multiball, ect.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/iron-maiden/stories/iron-maiden-rules-and-play
Now, the artwork is amazing on a lot of these games. But I'm a pinball player, not an art collector.
It's just personal preference. You can choose to like them, I am listing some of the reasons that I don't.

OK. Fair enough.

#713 4 years ago

Hoping for a little help please.
I have a bonus orange wire behind the long drop bank and can't determine 100% where it belongs.

IMG_20200306_100035 (resized).jpgIMG_20200306_100035 (resized).jpg
#714 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

one thing that I can't really stand

Ok I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something objectively measurable that I was missing, I was like wtf!
-mof

#715 4 years ago

For me three of the best classic Sterns are Nine Ball, Stars and Meteor. The Steve Kirk trio!

#716 4 years ago

Had intended to do a quick cleanup on Nine Ball but one thing led to another...
Playfield is out and ready for a couple minor touchups and some clear coat. Polishing and tumbling are under way.
I'm hoping two projects are better than one.
IMG_20200310_005725 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_005725 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_010526 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_010526 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_011446 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_011446 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#717 3 years ago

is there a lower playfield overlay available? picked up a project and there is some wear around the nine ball.

#718 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

is there a lower playfield overlay available? picked up a project and there is some wear around the nine ball.

not yet, woody. I am getting in process my homemade one to thrillhouse so he can machine cut them. It will be a little bit.

So, you were able to pick up the one you bought. Good Stuff.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Had intended to do a quick cleanup on Nine Ball but one thing led to another...
Playfield is out and ready for a couple minor touchups and some clear coat. Polishing and tumbling are under way.
I'm hoping two projects are better than one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice Playfield! Any chance you would be willing to send yours to CPR? They have been looking for a good Nineball Playfield to copy.

#720 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

not yet, woody. I am getting in process my homemade one to thrillhouse so he can machine cut them. It will be a little bit.
So, you were able to pick up the one you bought. Good Stuff.

Yea, I was able to run up and grab it about 2 weeks after the tornado. It was a nice getaway from all the stress. It will be a fun project when I can get to it.

#721 3 years ago

Mine was missing the lockdown bar, are these bars classic stern specific? or can I use one off a bally or something.

#722 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Mine was missing the lockdown bar, are these bars classic stern specific? or can I use one off a bally or something.

You would have to also use a Bally receiver which will attach the the cob OK. But yes, the classic Stern bars/receivers are specific. What's more is that Stern carried over the Chicago Coin ball and socket style lock bars which are not interchangeable with your Nine Ball.

2 months later
#723 3 years ago

New member here. I just picked up a working project. A few stuck switches, a couple of busted drop targets, playfield wear and a “fair” backglass.

At least it boots up and plays.

#724 3 years ago
IMG_20200614_110832228_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200614_110832228_HDR (resized).jpg
#725 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

New member here. I just picked up a working project. A few stuck switches, a couple of busted drop targets, playfield wear and a “fair” backglass.

Congrats and welcome!

#726 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Sounds like it’s about that same as the one I found some months ago. That game is a blast.

#727 3 years ago

Here are a few pictures.

Can anyone suggest where to buy a couple of replacement drop targets along with the correct jet bumper cap? Also, any suggestions on how to clean up the playfield without taking off too much paint.

Is this an overlay, hardtop/CPR future playfield or a touch up candidate?

67BAE6D5-01C9-46B8-A552-CC56C4039CF1 (resized).jpeg67BAE6D5-01C9-46B8-A552-CC56C4039CF1 (resized).jpegBF62C5DE-D90D-4DE0-B5D6-0A055AD8729A (resized).jpegBF62C5DE-D90D-4DE0-B5D6-0A055AD8729A (resized).jpegC2E43279-9E6E-40B0-8D46-121D1E1D9BA4 (resized).jpegC2E43279-9E6E-40B0-8D46-121D1E1D9BA4 (resized).jpegD9642F1F-202D-4730-9CA8-C63334DC4BD3 (resized).jpegD9642F1F-202D-4730-9CA8-C63334DC4BD3 (resized).jpegFC28AA86-875B-48CE-B889-A609A04793FB (resized).jpegFC28AA86-875B-48CE-B889-A609A04793FB (resized).jpegFF6D9822-4F57-46C7-BF25-5EBBB5D6DDF6 (resized).jpegFF6D9822-4F57-46C7-BF25-5EBBB5D6DDF6 (resized).jpegE004A427-CD5C-491E-AD92-4649835680C0 (resized).jpegE004A427-CD5C-491E-AD92-4649835680C0 (resized).jpegD1852CC2-4880-4E98-9BAF-6E393F5EB4E1 (resized).jpegD1852CC2-4880-4E98-9BAF-6E393F5EB4E1 (resized).jpeg9CE70539-AAD6-4303-BE87-11278B55207C (resized).jpeg9CE70539-AAD6-4303-BE87-11278B55207C (resized).jpeg13C1E6EB-3A21-4686-BA55-6B4AE55FDE8B (resized).jpeg13C1E6EB-3A21-4686-BA55-6B4AE55FDE8B (resized).jpeg
#728 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Here are a few pictures.
Can anyone suggest where to buy a couple of replacement drop targets along with the correct jet bumper cap? Also, any suggestions on how to clean up the playfield without taking off too much paint.
Is this an overlay, hardtop/CPR future playfield or a touch up candidate?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

CPR would not consider your play field a candidate. Mirco might. You would have to "talk" with Mirco.

Pinball Resource has your pop cap, but it does not have the lines around the edges hot stamped on.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 1.30.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-15 at 1.30.44 PM (resized).png

PBR also has the drop targets you need.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm

Or you can get some real nice vinyl blue and red replacement stars from Tractor Doc and renew your targets.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1169-doc-s-pinball-shop/02155-vinyl-star-decals-for-drop-targets-blue-and-red-stars

Some one else can tell you how to clean up the play field.

#729 3 years ago

Pretty rough in the middle, but also pretty standard for Nine Ball. There are no PF or overlays, get out your paint brushes!
Welcome .

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

the correct jet bumper cap?

if you feel like spending some extra money, you can get an original...

ebay.com link: Stern Nine Ball Playfield Plastics 10 items

#731 3 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

if you feel like spending some extra money, you can get an original...
ebay.com link » Stern Nine Ball Playfield Plastics 10 Items

$200.00 for a used set of NB plastics? That guy is FKing nuts.

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Will a meteor lockdown bar work? I have a spare.

#733 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Stern used 2 styles of lockdown bars and receivers. Any MPU-200 pin, starting with Meteor use the later style slotted lockdown bar. It will work.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I have been looking for a lockdown bar for my Nine ball as well! crazy hard to find those

#735 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I have been looking for a lockdown bar for my Nine ball as well! crazy hard to find those

It was crazy hard for me to obtain one, but I bought a game and could use money more than this lockdown bar. If you need it, shoot me a offer in PM.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Stern used 2 styles of lockdown bars and receivers. Any MPU-200 pin, starting with Meteor use the later style slotted lockdown bar. It will work.

Thanks Cotton, you’re the man!

#736 3 years ago

I would like to touch up a couple of small areas on our cabinet. Can anyone suggest what shade of orange and blue would likely be the best match? Any other suggestions on how best to proceed would be welcomed.

23B3F515-F33B-4173-A714-3A86265DE838 (resized).jpeg23B3F515-F33B-4173-A714-3A86265DE838 (resized).jpegC6F71F8D-C25C-4133-AC7D-4872F9A06E54 (resized).jpegC6F71F8D-C25C-4133-AC7D-4872F9A06E54 (resized).jpeg
#737 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

.. Can anyone suggest what shade of orange and blue would likely be the best match....

Createx orange coral and red opaques work well and can be mixed together.
With all classic Sterns, cadmium orange is usually the way to go

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I would like to touch up a couple of small areas on our cabinet. Can anyone suggest what shade of orange and blue would likely be the best match? Any other suggestions on how best to proceed would be welcomed.[quoted image][quoted image]

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, or any shop that mixes paint. Avail yourself to the paint chip shelf and grab several paint chips to take home and match against the paint on your cab. Take the color chip that matches the best and go back to the store. Lowes and, I think, Home Depot will mix you up a sample size of paint for about $3-$4.

If you have access to both stores, pick up some color chips from each as both have some of their own colors.

#739 3 years ago

Joined the club today! Totally unexpected. Woot!
Runs! Woo Hoo! Alltek board.

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

No crap. Nine ball is the only game that is worth a piece. The rest of the Classic Stern's are JUNK!!!!... I am glad someone realizes this beyond myself.

#741 3 years ago

I have a cpr back glass and I would like to change out the backbox led’s. I’m averse to playfield led’s at this point.

Do any of you folks have suggestions for backlighting the glass?

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Looking forward to the software rewrite if a 2X or 3X playfield score can be incorporated into multi-ball and if the spinner count is visible.

Spinner count already added and available in the beta.
Drop handling tweaked.
Pf multiplier code is in but nothing activates it yet.
Beta testers needed which is one of the reasons it hasn't progressed much yet beyond that.

#743 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Spinner count already added and available in the beta.
Drop handling tweaked.
Pf multiplier code is in but nothing activates it yet.
Beta testers needed which is one of the reasons it hasn't progressed much yet beyond that.

Hmmm. . .

I may have to swap out the Alltek board that is running mine to test out some of your work.

#744 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I have a cpr back glass and I would like to change out the backbox led’s. I’m averse to playfield led’s at this point.
Do any of you folks have suggestions for backlighting the glass?

Well, you don't like LEDs so I guess you go back to incandescents.

These are still LEDs but you can light up a back glass real nice with just a few of these Matrix light strips.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips

Do go all funky with a bunch of hosed up colors. Just get some cool whites and call it a day.

#745 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, you don't like LEDs so I guess you go back to incandescents.
These are still LEDs but you can light up a back glass real nice with just a few of these Matrix light strips.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/lighting-strips
Do go all funky with a bunch of hosed up colors. Just get some cool whites and call it a day.

I must have been half asleep when I made my previous post. I am a fan of LEDs, especially Comet.

I plan on installing them in the backbox and was looking for suggestions on which ones to use, along with quantity and placement given that they are brighter than incandescent.

#746 3 years ago

Get yourself some of the long strips maybe 3 or 4, and some of the short ones. You will have to experiment for best placement. You'll figure it out.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Hmmm. . .
I may have to swap out the Alltek board that is running mine to test out some of your work.

That is pretty much why the update is at a standstill - need feedback on how it's working/not working. MPU200 or a weebly board will work for testing, although if able use a 200 because I want to make sure it runs correctly on what most people would have. (While the alltek's rom layout is now known, putting a different eprom in there voids the lifetime warranty I'm told).

While I do have the borrowed playfield in a cabinet, there's lots of things wrong with it that I'd have to fix first (mostly with the 8 bank) before using it for extensive testing. I'd prefer to get some feedback from owners that have the game actually setup and working correctly, but get the occasional issue with the balls ending early, etc.

Everyone that likes the spinner counter thank cottonm4 for suggesting it for Big Game.... originally I was going to it a one-off for him with it but I liked it so much that I'm rolling it into all the games that didn't have it.

I agree with some of the earlier posters in the club that say working switches are key to the game not losing track of the balls - when I had a nine ball last in the mid 2000s I had mine working perfectly re: the switches, and only a couple times did I get the errors others have seen (I think it's possible to shoot the ball really quickly before the shooter lane switch is seen for instance, and that would generate an instant ball count error).

I'm also taking suggestions that don't deviate too far from the spirit of the game, although the ruleset is pretty good as it sits. One thing I might use from Flight 2000's rewrite is instead of a general 2x/3x scoring in multiball, make it so any ball shot back into the lock lane increases the PF X for a short time.

The general link to all the rom mods I'm hosting is:
https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/galaxy-asm

And Nineball of course is called 'nineball-beta' on that page.

Another page I'm hosting contains descriptions of Rom mods I'm aware of, not only for tournament romsets, but general updates/bug fixes. Most of them are for original hardware as indexing the myriad of homebrew p3 or other replacement board mods would need several more pages.

https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/tournament-rom-mods

Added over 2 years ago:

https://sites.google.com/view/phillypinball/galaxy-asm

New link for the downloads, old one is 'still there' but might not point to the latest versions of the software.

#748 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That is pretty much why the update is at a standstill - need feedback on how it's working/not working. MPU200 or a weebly board will work for testing, although if able use a 200 because I want to make sure it runs correctly on what most people would have.

I would be willing to give it a try -- I have a weebly handy and could probably come up with an uncompromised MPU200 to try (I'd even be willing to swap bits out on the Alltek if I had to).

Another issue I have is my ROM burning skills are less than nonexistent. I would be happy to buy/cover the cost of shipping a set of ROMS if that was an option.

#749 3 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I would be willing to give it a try -- I have a weebly handy and could probably come up with an uncompromised MPU200 to try (I'd even be willing to swap bits out on the Alltek if I had to).
Another issue I have is my ROM burning skills are less than nonexistent. I would be happy to buy/cover the cost of shipping a set of ROMS if that was an option.

Do you have a burner and chips? That's the best way to go. If you have the weebly with the 512 socket you can get eeproms that fit it (so no eraser needed) for about $3-4 each.

I only have enough blanks for my own needs right now, and rapid-development beta testing puts the US Mail out of the equation as there would be a week or so between updates, trying different things. If you get a TL866 burner I can walk you through using the software - it's really not that hard. (Once you start having to combine rom files that's really the difficult part - but the beta will always contain the original 716 files, combined 732 files, and a weebly 512 file).

It's very handy to have eprom burning capability especially if you have a group of pinheads in your area. It's essential for what I'm doing as I think that every single game I have has at least SOME kind of modification in it (sometimes just free play).

#750 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Do you have a burner and chips?

Short answer is no. As much as I'd like to learn a new skill the truth is I have too many other commitments and projects that are not getting enough of my time as it is. If my situation changes I will be sure to touch base -- keep up the good work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Hardware
20eyes
Hardware
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 1,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.