IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4918 (resized).jpg
IMG_4917 (resized).jpg
IMG_4916 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-06 at 9.23.20 AM (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_4905 (resized).jpg

There are 1,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 27.
#1 8 years ago

Do you love Nine Ball? -- one of the *best* early solid state Sterns ever made...

I started up a Nine Ball Club so that other proud Nine Ball owners can share the over-the-top love for the machine as well as: repair help, instruction cards, restoration tips, part requests, requesting wiring photos, topper ideas?, LED usage, Playfield color matching tips, ROM tweaks, and upgrade ideas...

REPRODUCTIONS:
1. BG: John G makes 'em
2. Plastics: Yes they are out there
3. Playfields: mirco makes em. Please be aware of the general clear coat issues.
4. Pop caps: ?
5. Star Posts: Yes, faceted reds are coming soon
6. Boards: Yes, all 5 are reproduced

RESOURCES / IDEAS:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?1678 (documentation)
http://www.greatpinball.com/products.html (backglass repro)

SCHEMATIC CHANGES
See Flight 2000 for schematic help

[x] add to your favorites (do this now!)
-mof

GAMEPLAY TUTORIAL

MODS (required for new targets)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-overhaul-my-attempt-to-resurrect-a-long-dormant-machine/page/3#post-4416618

#3 8 years ago

:^)

Ron...

#4 8 years ago

I'm in. Mine is currently under restoration. My tumbler has been running nonstop. I'll be sanding down the cabinet soon in prep for restencil.

#5 8 years ago

Good news.
John Greatwich is open to the idea of reproducing Nine Ball playfields for us, but just like Seawitch and Star Gazer, he'll need artwork to get that done.
It's time to be on the lookout for a NOS PF (and ship it to John before installing it.)
-mof

#6 8 years ago

Also in !

My first pinball. I'm restoring it right now but I won't do crazy stuff, just make it nice and playable.
You're spot on regarding the "over-the-top love". I would not have gone through the trouble of restoring a machine if it wasn't for this particular one.

#7 8 years ago

I'm in too! Nine Ball is one of my favorites as well, my favorite spinner shot in all of pinball. Love the feel of ripping the spinner at the same time banking into a ball lock. Count me in for a playfield if they are made.

#8 8 years ago

Actually I'm open to any old Stern playfield or backglass work. I'm not a art guy, but there are some Canadians stepping up with glass work lately. Most areas can scan playfields & glass to get a base file. For direct uv inkjet printing only 300 dpi is needed.

#9 8 years ago

Currently in the middle of shopping mine out. In the club as of a few weeks ago.

#10 8 years ago

I'm in! (As you can see from the pic below, I'll be dreaming of a reproduction playfield in 2016.)
-mof

Resto thread will go up within a few days...
-mof

201504_Nine-flash-pf-day1.jpg201504_Nine-flash-pf-day1.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Just mailed a check out for one

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Good news.
John Greatwich is open to the idea of reproducing Nine Ball playfields for us, but just like Seawitch and Star Gazer, he'll need artwork to get that done.
It's time to be on the lookout for a NOS PF (and ship it to John before installing it.)
-mof

Oh I would love a repro playfield! Wow...someone really puked avatar blue all over yours. Mine's a whitewood where the rack of balls used to be.

#13 8 years ago

I'd be in for one as well

#14 8 years ago

I would be in for a new playfield. I'm in on seawitch and stargazer playfields. Might as well make it a hat trick. I have a semi decent playfield. If it could be of any use to repro let me know.

Mike

#15 8 years ago

Here is a picture of mine after the NOS swap....

DSCF1184.JPGDSCF1184.JPG
#16 8 years ago

A nice picture old / new...

DSCF1152.JPGDSCF1152.JPG
#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

A nice picture old / new...

Looks beautiful! Any chance you had that NOS playfield scanned before installing?

#18 8 years ago

I'm in .
Posted two years ago my restoration , and questions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nineball-question

Love this machine in my classic stern line up.

Some units are to sale in France frequently (around 600 EUR)

#19 8 years ago

I'm in. I've got one and should be picking up another in a month or two.
Loved playing it growing up. Mine could definitely use a new pf. Had a shot at a NOS one many years ago but didn't have the game at the time so I passed. Oh well.

#20 8 years ago

I have the serial number 830

#21 8 years ago

Since we can share our missing Nine ball parts in this club, is there someone here who knows where I could find one of those brackets that hold the bottom of the playfield below the lockbar. One of mines is broken, and it breaks my heart.

Broken bracket.jpgBroken bracket.jpg

#22 8 years ago

I'll be looking for a lot of help to get this Nine Ball booted and healthy... resto thread will be here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-nine-ball-mof-20150405
-mof

#23 8 years ago

How do you get a 3-ball multiball?
I watched the PAPA vid, and he got 2-ball twice.
-mof

#24 8 years ago

Has anyone found a rule sheet?
I found this vid for rules, and they sound GREAT. Do you have anything to add/change from his description?
-mof

#25 8 years ago

I think you just have to lock a second ball before progressing to the #8 drop target.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

Since we can share our missing Nine ball parts in this club, is there someone here who knows where I could find one of those brackets that hold the bottom of the playfield below the lockbar. One of mines is broken, and it breaks my heart.
Broken bracket.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I would recommend asking in the 2518 club, since someone may have an extra from another game.
-mof
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Looks beautiful! Any chance you had that NOS playfield scanned before installing?

I did not do that....

#28 8 years ago

I did not do that....

I asked Ron Kruzman (who searches for PFs full time) -- if he's ever seen a 9B PF. His answer was, "never, not even a nice used one."

I think Classic_Stern hit the 9B jackpot...

-mof

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I think Classic_Stern hit the 9B jackpot...

He always does

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I would recommend asking in the 2518 club, since someone may have an extra from another game.
-mof
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club

Thanks for the advice mof.

I build a home-made one with two small shelf braces and a bolt, I'll see how it works when I put the playfield back into the cabinet (in a few days).

#31 8 years ago

That is why they call me the Mayor of NOSington....I sniff, hunt and peck around like a fidgety collector . Rack em and stack em....Over the years some of my better parts finds.... NOS seawitch playfield and backglass; NOS Nineball field and backglass; NOS stargazer backglass, NOS quicksilver backglass; NOS Stones field, NOS Solarfire Field and backglass; NOS Pharoah backglass and field; Steve Kirks Gamatron and Whitewood; 3 Gamatron NOS fields; 3 Gamatron NOS plastic sets; Andromeda whitewood (Didn't buy); NOS skateball field and backglass; NOS Paragon backglasses (2); NOS Frontier field and backglass; NOS Viking field and backglass; NOS Earthshaker fields (2); NOS Mystic backglass; NOS Playboy 35th field, ramps and plastics; NOS Embryon glass; NOS Ground shaker field and glass. 3 - Original EK NOS fields (All sold).

What can I say. I like new parts and mint games....

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Has anyone found a rule sheet?
I found this vid for rules, and they sound GREAT. Do you have anything to add/change from his description?
-mof
» YouTube video

Bowen did a nice tutorial as well:

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Bowen did a nice tutorial as well:
» YouTube video

Well he seemed a bit confused at one point ... "I don't know, I don't understand this game" to quote him.

I made a Visual Pinball recreation of this table some time ago (check it out !) so I've got a good grasp of the rules : they're not really complicated and are quite well covered in the various videos posted here.

A few things :
- the inlanes or the dead bumper that advance the bonus when lit are lit at random during the game (there's a switch to make it more or less frequent), usualy 2 out of 3, and will strobe between the 3 when the spinner spins. They will not be lit when you have to shoot the 8 or 9 target.
-the 8 target is tough to get by a direct shot, but you can reach it with a bank shot through the spinner (as well as the lock).
-shooting the spinner when the 9 target strobes through the eight lights will accelerate the rate of the strobing. Try your luck at getting the 9 by doing a bank shot through the spinner.

#34 8 years ago

I need one of these bad. If anyone knows of any for sale and doesnt want it themselve would you be so kind as to hit me up? I will be at allentown and new england shows with a van

#35 8 years ago

I'm worried about these last two targets. There appears to be a lot of plastic missing. Do I need to replace these two?
-mof

201504_Nine-8-drops.jpg201504_Nine-8-drops.jpg201504_Nine-drops-2-closeup.jpg201504_Nine-drops-2-closeup.jpg

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do I need to replace these two?

Yep

#37 8 years ago

I learned from Marco that if you want to replace the metal sleeve in the monster solenoid for the 8-drop you use this sleeve, and trim it 1/4"
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-7068
-mof

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm worried about these last two targets. There appears to be a lot of plastic missing. Do I need to replace these two?
-mof
201504_Nine-8-drops.jpg (Click image to enlarge)201504_Nine-drops-2-closeup.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Fair warning, I replaced the drops on my NB after one broke, and I regretted it. The pinball resource replacements are different, they are much less smooth feeling and harder to sweep. I'd try to make the old ones work.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from pinBilly:

Fair warning, I replaced the drops on my NB after one broke, and I regretted it. The pinball resource replacements are different, they are much less smooth feeling and harder to sweep. I'd try to make the old ones work.

Yeah, I'm wondering if plastex can help in this situation, or it's too much abuse for a tiny plastic addition.
-mof

#40 8 years ago

Just find some used ones and paint or decal them

#41 8 years ago

Are there decals out there for NB drops?

#42 8 years ago

You can use the ones from resource but you have to replace them all and modify the bank. You have to add a shim to the bottom of the bank the exact distance they are short up to the field so they are flush. Then you also have to grind the reset plunger by the said same shim thickness. That will equal out the target being short by about 1/8 of an inch. All is good then.

#43 8 years ago

So buy new and do the modifications. I should of added that. I have all circles except 1 standard S target from another stern bank. If I had 3 questionable I would replace all of them and modify the bank.

#44 8 years ago

I wonder why PBR would "produce" drops that people are not happy with -- the rest of their inventory seems great... ?

-mof

#45 8 years ago

The mold Steve has is slightly short. He knows that and tells customers that. It is what it is. Its fine, you just have to modify to make perfect and reset properly. We are lucky to still be able to get something new.

#46 8 years ago

The mold Steve has is slightly short. He knows that and tells customers that. It is what it is. Its fine, you just have to modify to make perfect and reset properly. We are lucky to still be able to get something new.

After doing these mods, can you go back to using older targets?
-mof

#47 8 years ago

If anyone has a scan of the playfield, it would be appreciated. I really need the center to lower part of the playfield area between the slings up to the wizard. Someone did a poor touchup, and then covered it all with Mylar, so I know I will lose what is left when I remove that Mylar.

Thanks!

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

After doing these mods, can you go back to using older targets?
-mof

Yep...remove the shim, replace the plunger.

#49 8 years ago

Rats, I guess I'm a bit blind today. I can't where find in the manual it explains what each of the MPU settings are for settings 1 through 18. I accidentally reset #4 and #5 and now I can't play a free game. I have an alltek set to freeplay mode. My displays are sketchy, so it's tough to know exactly what's what.

-mof

#50 8 years ago

I read on the Internet Pinball Database that the inspiration for the wizard design on our beloved pinball machine came from the art on a t-shirt. This t-shirt is reproduced in Roger Sharpe's 1977 book "Pinball!", but I don't have it.

I found this t-shirt art on the internet, from Roach Studios, dated 1974. Is this it ? Certainly looks like it.
Pinball Wizard.jpgPinball Wizard.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 1,309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nine-ball-club-all-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.