(Topic ID: 278494)

Night Rider Switch Matrix or Dip Switches?

By Pinfert

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinfert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a Night Rider SS pinball exhibiting some weird issues. It's a known working MPU and Driver Board from a different game. However, when playing a game or in switch test mode, solenoids fire seemingly at random.

I have replaced every solenoid diode, and tested all switch diodes. I have scoured for anything grounding that shouldn't be. I'm wondering if it could be the dip switches set incorrectly. Does anyone have an image of what they should look like?

Other ideas are appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

When you say a working MPU from another game, are you saying from another Night Rider game? Just wondering if you have the correct game ROM's and jumper settings on the MPU board?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

When you say a working MPU from another game, are you saying from another Night Rider game? Just wondering if you have the correct game ROM's and jumper settings on the MPU board?

I swapped out the ROMs, so those should be the correct ROMs. How do I confirm that the jumpers are correct?

#4 3 years ago

The dip switches have nothing to do with the wrong solenoids firing.

Go into solenoid test. Make note of what fires with each number on the display. Likely you have 2 of the same solenoids firing through the entire sequence which would point to one of the activating lines connector's being bad. That's mpu j4 connector pins 1-4 and solenoid driver board connector J4 pins 3-6.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The dip switches have nothing to do with the wrong solenoids firing.
Go into solenoid test. Make note of what fires with each number on the display. Likely you have 2 of the same solenoids firing through the entire sequence which would point to one of the activating lines connector's being bad. That's mpu j4 connector pins 1-4 and solenoid driver board connector J4 pins 3-6.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight when I get home!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfert:

How do I confirm that the jumpers are correct?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern
See section 3.20

#7 3 years ago

When you say at random, specifically what does that mean? The game is not being played, or during gameplay?
Random coil firing is typically caused by a bad switch capacitor or a bad earth ground connection to the frame.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

When you say at random, specifically what does that mean? The game is not being played, or during gameplay?
Random coil firing is typically caused by a bad switch capacitor or a bad earth ground connection to the frame.

In test mode coils 4-7 and 9-10 all fire the right drop target reset coil. Everything else seems to fire correctly.

#9 3 years ago

Pursue the momentary signal lines as I posted you are missing some of the signals or they are being held high or low.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Pursue the momentary signal lines as I posted you are missing some of the signals or they are being held high or low.

How do I go about testing those? Thanks for your help!

#11 3 years ago

Solder the header pins on the boards. Repin the connections, they are probably tarnished. My Night Rider every single .100 connector had lost their springiness and luster on the pins. Just age.

1 month later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Solder the header pins on the boards. Repin the connections, they are probably tarnished. My Night Rider every single .100 connector had lost their springiness and luster on the pins. Just age.

Just getting around to this,but I repinned J4 on the MPU, no changes. I have a new alltek MPU in it. Any other thoughts?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfert:

Just getting around to this,but I repinned J4 on the MPU, no changes. I have a new alltek MPU in it. Any other thoughts?

I also repinned solenoid driver J4. Forgot to mention that.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfert:

I also repinned solenoid driver J4. Forgot to mention that.

I figured it out. One of the pop bumpers had a loose wire, and once unsoldered it back on, the coils fire correctly!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-switch-matrix-or-dip-switches?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.