0Night-Rider-Work-15 (resized).jpg
0Night-Rider-Work-08 (resized).jpg
0Night-Rider-Work-01 (resized).jpg
0Night-Rider-Work-06 (resized).jpg
0Night-Rider-Work-14 (resized).jpg
NR_Bonus_Score_Reset_Re (resized).jpg
NR_Bonus_Unit_Reset (resized).jpg
NR_Score_Reset_Relays (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
When Your pin does the resetting at start-up --- DOES the Bonus-Score-Relay pull-in and stay pulling ?
See the JPG - a two-bladed switch on the Bonus-Unit (encircled orange) and a two-bladed switch on the Reset-Relay (encircled orange) make the Bonus-Score-Relay pull-in and it stays pulling with the "Switch*** mounted on the Bonus-Score-Relay, encircled red".
Switch***: A short wire runs from the Coil on the Bonus-Score-Relay to a switch mounted on the relay - THIS is the switch. Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-14 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-14 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
I refer to Your post-4 --- You can make the motor to stop. Start a game - wait for resetting - pin comes to idle - doing nothing , have the ball in the Outhole --- NOW, YOU manually press the armature (metal, anchor plate) of the Outhole-Relay --- does the pin shows some reaction ?

See the JPG - the question mark --- when the Bonus-Unit is resetted: This switch as drawn should make the Outhole-Relay to pull-in (and You manually force it "to pull-in"). Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-06 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-06 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
a post to come to the description in Your post-9 --- I just pick Your short remark "power on, game lit up" - Maybe what You did is (but You did not write it): "Toggled on the main power switch - nothing happened - then pressed the left flipper button and the lights turned-on" (?) Please write what You did.

This post is theory/ testing "What happens in a fully functioning pin when we toggle-on the main power switch --- then we press the left flipper button".
The schematics of Williams pins are looooong and narrow. Bally did not like that paper format - they said "lets have our schematics shorter and wider". See the first JPG. The "common line, wire-yellow, returning line for 6VAC (lights) and 50VAV (coils)" is bent and bent again forming its drawing like an U. The 50VAC-always-current (red line) connects through the coils downwards - ending on the line-yellow. The 50VAC-some-switches-control-flow-of-current (orange line) connects through the coils upwards - ending on the line-yellow.
This might be confusing when we look at different segments of the schematics.

The second JPG shows the pin plugged-in but toggled-off. You toggle-on (You close forever switch 1) - nothing happens as switches 2,3,4,5 are all open - no current flows on the 110VAC-side.
Youthen press switch 4 --- switch 9 is closed as the Delay-Relay does not pull (it is for severe Tilts) - as You press switch 4: The Lock-Relay (10) starts pulling and closes its switches 5,11,12. The closed switch 5 establish "always current on the 110VAC side" - the closed switches 11,12 make the lights (example: 13) to constantly light.
The closed switch 5 makes the transformer to produce (6VAC and) 50VAC --- You do not make an severe tilt so switch 9 is always closed so the Lock-Relay pulls forever.
The written above is all true - BUT some more stuff is happening:

You press switch 4 - the Lock-Relay is not yet pulling so switch 6 is closed - the Game-Over-TRIP-Coil (7) is activated - the relay trips and opens its switch 8. This happens when the Game-Over-Relay is not tripped (means when it is latched).
IF (if, if) the Game-Over-Relay is (already) tripped when You (after toggling-on) press the left flipper button (switch 4): The already open switch 8 hinders current to flow to coil (7).

When the Game-Over-Relay trips at a time: The pin changes from "in play" to "in Game Over".
When the Game-Over-Relay latches at a time: The pin changes from "Game Over" to "in play".
I made me a mnemonic help: The word LATCH consists of 5 letters - the word TRIP consists of 4 letters --- four is "5 less one" --- the latch coil armature has one nylon ladder mounted - "one less one" is zero --- therefore (mnemonic aid): The trip armature has zero nylon ladders mounted.

Test-AAA - please toggle-off the pin - do "latch" the Game-Over-Relay (means You press the armature having the nylon ladder mounted) --- then toggle-on - nothing shall happen. Then You press the left flipper button and You MUST see the Game-Over-Relay TRIP (((Of course: The Lock-Relay pulls-in and stays pulling))).

Please do Test-AAA and write about the reaction of Your pin. Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-01 (resized).jpg
0Night-Rider-Work-08 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-08 (resized).jpg

EDIT / add-on to this post 24 hours after writing the post: I cannot delete JPGs in my posts --- I would like to delete the second JPG and put in a new one.
In my fake drawing in tthe second JPG is the "2,3,4,5,11,12 switches" stuff --- truth is: Night Rider does NOT have this stuff (we toggle-on the main power switch and the lights are lighted). Also true is; The "6,7,8" stuff is in the Night Rider --- as the function is needed: When the Game-Over-Relay is latched when we toggle-on the main power switch: The pin makes the Game-Over-Relay to trip - so we start a NEW game when pressing the Replay- Button.
(((The second JPG I must have made for an other / old topic to show some stuff and I saved the JPG under the name "0Night-Rider-Work-8"))) Greetings Rolf

#12 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
You are right about "Night Rider does NOT have the 'Left Flipper Button turns-on the lights' feature" --- please read the end of post-10 - I edited / added remarks.

We NEED: When we toggle-on the pin - either the Game-Over-Relay is tripped --- or the pin makes (by us toggling-on) the Game-Over-Relay to trip. We toggle-on and we (must) see "Game Over" lit in the Backglass.

You press the Start-Button and the pin does reset the Score-Drums but does not reset the Bonus-Ladder. You are helpful and do manually reset the Bonus-Ladder and the pin happily proceeds and kicks-out the ball. Please be helpful for a while - we will come to this problem later.

"1) problem": see the "orange stuff in the JPG" - making 10 points is a co-working of the 10-Points-Relay AND the 10-Points-Score-Drum of "player in play" --- The pulling-in of the relay let current flow to the coil on the Score-Drum, ALSO: The pulling-in of the relay close a switch on the relay to keep the relay pulling UNTIL the traveling plunger on the Score-Drum opens a switch and this (opening the switch on the Score-Drum) CUT the "pulling of the relay". Not yet a fix - but good to learn: Look at the 10-Point-Score-Drum of Player-1--- when the plunger travels - at end of travel the plunger opens a switch - THIS Switch You open manually when the 10-Points-Relay is faulty always pulling --- question: Does this manually opening the switch makes the 10-Point-Relay and the Match Unit to quit pulling ?

"2) problem": I believe that EVERY ball kicked over to the shooter alley makes the Bonus-Unit step-up one position - means every new ball starts with ONE Bonus given --- when the pin serves the very first ball: Do You have ONE (You should have) Bonus given ? Or do You have ZERO Bonus ?

"Edit problem": For the moment: Let it as is - we will come to. I would like to fix the "1) problem" first so You can then play a bit. Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-15 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-15 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
I believe (for both of us) it is easyer to look at ONE problem - when fixed: Then look at the next problem. I had a busy day - here in Europe it is 20 minutes past eleven at night - I go to sleep. I hope to read tomorrow about Your findings and the problem You want to look at.
(When You start on the "Edit problem" - checking colors of wires in the schematics and in Your pin: At least write down somewhere WHAT was wired in Your pin - as the person working on that place did some thinking)
Till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#17 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
good news - You solved the Bonus Count Down feature.
Three ways to step-up on the Bonus-Unit - first way: Every ball given starts with ONE Bonus given --- in the JPG the pulling Outhole-Relay closes encircled green switch for a long time. The pulling of the Outhole-Relay makes the Score-Motor run --- at a specific time the SCM-6D (encircled blue) closes - the Bonus-Unit-Step-Up Coil fires.
Second way: The ball lands in the Top-Hole - this makes the Top-Hole-Relay pull-in, closing its switch (encircled orange) - stays pulling, makes the motor run etc.
Third way: You hit a Drop-Target - the Drop-Target-Relay is made pull-in, closing its switch (encircled orange) - stays pulling, makes the motor run etc.

When the Bonus step-up coil never actuates: "Simple jumpering, AAA: Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - clip-on at Coil and lay the other end near "Transformer-Lug-Yellow" (two brownish-yellowish wires are soldered-on on the lug --- lay the jumper-wire-end NEAR the transformer-lug - the free end of the jumper-wire shall not touch metal.
Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game --- wait for resetting - wait for the ball to come --- pin idles --- then grab the jumper-wire on the insulation and tip-on at Transformer-Solder-Lug-Yellow - and retract from the lug - did the coil on the unit fire ?

The BBB shows using two jumper-wires - have them clipped-on - and the two free ends do not touch each other - do not touch metal --- when You come to testing: You grab the jumper-wires on the insulation and put together etc.
The CCC shows what I like: I have jumper-wires with an doorbell-push-button-switch mounted in the jumper-wire. I also have jumper-wires with an toggle-switch mounted in the jumper-wire.

Can You make the coil on the unit to fire ? Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-16 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-16 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
the score-motor is drawn in the schematics at F-23. At C-21 is drawn "1E SCM." - a threebladed Make-and-Brake Switch on the sixth cam on the score-motor. You see the real motor - then comes cam-1 - then cam-2 - then 3,4,5,6 etc. Here http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Bally_Motor_Switch_Levels.JPG bottom-up the levels A,B,C,D, please look-up in Your pin at cam-1 --- it would be nice when the cam-1 in Your pin has exactly (ABCDE) five MOVED BLADES - MEANS THE SCM-1E IS (IN Your pin) the topmost switch (I do not know). IF (if, if) it is:

When the pin is running after You have started a game and made some points - running but actually idling - TRY: Gently press down the top-most blade on cam-1 and after half of a second let go on the blade --- does this makes the motor to run - to make a turn of 180 degrees ? Would be nice --- would be very handy --- whenever You want a turn of the motor: You do this "pressing and then let go".
Check the SCM-6D --- wires soldered-on ? Greetings Rolf

#21 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
a strange thing --- lifted playfield and "not lifted playfield". In this situation it would be good to do an "BBB" type of jumpering / testing. You have a jumper-wire coming from the coil on the unit - the jumper-wire comes out through the open coin-door. Also, the second jumper-wire coming from Lug-Yellow on the transformer - this second jumper-wire also comes out through the open coin-door. You have the playfield down - and do the test - connecting the ends of the jumper-wires "in the open" - and with the playfield down and doing the jumper-test-connection: How good is the action on the coil ?
Tomorrow I must get up early - so I go to sleep, till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#25 6 years ago

Hi Maxash
The transformer for sure is in the Cabinet - the Score-Motor for sure is in the Cabinet - the Bonus-Unit for sure is on the playfield (is it ?) - The Outhole-Relay I believe is in the Cabinet (is it ?)
Where is the Top-Hole-Relay ? Cabinet or Playfield or Backbox ?
Where is the Drop-Target-Relay ? Cabinet or Playfield or Backbox ?
When You look at Score-Motor-Cam-6-Switch-D --- is it possible for You to clip-on a Jumper-Wire at "lug-74-1" as a starting point / clip-on-point for a new jumpering (to Switch on Outhole-Relay) ?

The drawing of all schematics is "abstract / drawn beautyful" --- there is never an connecting wire and all of a suffen from that wire forks-off another wire connecting towards "third party". When You write answers to my questions above: I then can "redraw" the "abstract JPG in post-17". Greetings Rolf

#27 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
Yes - my post-25 is answer / reply to Your (original) post-24 - not realising You have added the last part "EDIT". So this my post-27 is answer / reply to Your "post-24 - EDIT section":

Look here http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallyScoreMotor3-4View.jpg - I see the bakelite cams --- many pins have an Service Jack to unplug / cut electricity to the real motor --- people sometimes unplug - then rotate the motor / cams by hand for doing a test.
In the picture I see bakelite stuff on the switchstacks --- WHAT is Your mentioned "bakelite rotating pieces" ?
"Stuck in Ball-1" means "You start a game for ONE Player - You get Ball-1, You play it - You (by jumpering) make some bonus - You loose the ball-1, Bonus is counted down - the pin kicks-out a ball to the shooter-alley - BUT it is again Ball-1. You play etc --- again Ball-1. Is this what happens ? Otherwise make an detailled description.

I will not write posts until I see Your answers to my questions above - once I know: I will write about new tests. Greetings Rolf

#29 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
the stepping-up on the Ball-Count-Unit is shown in the ipdb-schematics at schema-31,32,33-C,D,E,F - mainly the Score-Motor-Switch-3C. I would like to put aside the problem as I hope we can fix the other problem (stepping the Bonus up):

See the JPG - maybe in Your pin the wiring is as I show my imagination - wire-74-1 hops from Score-Motor-Switch-6D to a switch on a relay - hops further - hop, hop, hop.
Wire-21-2 hops from a switch on a relay to an switch on a relay - hop, hop, hop to SOCKET in the bottom of the Cabinet - a Jones-Plug - then in the bundle of wires the wire-21-2 runs up to the playfield and runs to the Coil on Bonus-Unit.

Locate in the cabinet the 19-Jones-Plug connecting upwards to the playfield - look for SOCKET of wire-21-2-wire-of-color-Blue-Red. Set an permanent*** jumper connecting the SOCKET to the coil.
Permanent***: Clip-on the jumper-wire at both sides - You do jumper an "old, existing, permanent connecting wire in the pin" --- "permanent jumper guarantees permanent connection on a wire mounted permanent connecting. Greetings Rolf
P.S.: You are troubleshooting - I hope for luck - but maybe You must jumper (Type AAA or BBB or CCC) "SCM-6D to Coil on Bonus-Unit" (?) - more to this if needed.

0Night-Rider-Work-17 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-17 (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
I had to get up early this morning --- by now it is a quarter to eleven at night - I go to sleep. Till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

#33 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
great - with a jumpering the Bonus-problem is fixed. Maybe (maybe) a preowner was rude and handled the bundle of wires "not carefully" - one or maybe more wires have broken - INSIDE the fabric / insulation --- when You raise or lower the playfield - breakage shows up or dissapears. You may establish ( solder-on) a new permanent (jumper) wire to connect --- then make an good description "what You have done" and "why You have done" (?).

Problem "not stepping on the ball". I know the Ball-Count-Unit does not step in a ONE-Player-Game. I believe (to have read) the stepping on the Player-Unit in an MULTI-Player-Game (also) does not work.

Short description - in a running Night Rider You have made points therefore the Ball-Index-Relay is pulling - therefore "3-4" is closed, You have NOT made an Extraball so the Extraball-Relay is not pulling - so "5-6" is closed. In a 1,2,3,4-Player game it comes the time to do the stepping - ALWAYS TWO SHOTS of electricity are fired - the pulling Outhole-Relay makes the motor run, moves the threebladed switch - FIRST shot goes "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" then maybe some "9-10-11" maybe reaching "12". SECOND shot goes "1,2,3,4,5,6,21,22,23" - then maybe "24-25" or maybe "31-32".

When You have no stepping on the ball AND no stepping on the player: I believe the fault is in the "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,21". A (first) try is: Set an permanent jumper connecting "2 to 6". Another try could be "Type BBB or Type CCC" jumper "2 to 9a or 10a" --- the Ball-Count-Step-up-Coil then should fire (((fire faulty looooong in time - as long as the Outhole-Relay is pulling --- but You are testing and want information about 'does the coil fire' ))).

I feel uncomfortable - writing all the possible tests You can do using a permanent jumper-wire or doing the Type AAA or BBB or CCC way of jumper-testing. You should look at the schematics- "from where to where can I jumper, what do I expect - what tells me the pin with its reaction".

Long description: In an MULTI-Player-Game the Ball-Count-Step-up-Coil ONLY must fire when the LAST player has lost the ball. At this time (last player has lost the ball): ALSO the Player-RESET-Coil must fire. People may not know: Bally said: A ONE-Player-Game is an MULTI-Player-Game --- we let the Player-Unit-RESET-Coil also fire - the Unit happens to be in resetted position - another attempt to reset does no harm --- we implement this as it is easyer to implement.
A ONE-Player-Game: First shot is "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10a,11,12" - the Ball-Count-Step-up-Coil fires --- so the plunger on the unit travels - at end of travel the plunger closes "A-B" - the Player-Reset-Relay (C) pulls-in - closes "D-E" and stays pulling for a long time through "F-G". Not only "D-E" is closed - ALSO "23,24,31" is moved --- the second shot is fired "1,2,3,4,5,6,21,22,23,31,32" --- in an One-Player-Game not needed - but done: The Player-Unit is resetted.
A MULTI-Player-Game: First shot may not reach the "12" due to the settings on the Units - the "C" is not made pulling - so the "23,24,31" is not moved --- the second shot "1,2,3,4,5,6,2,22,23" then goes "24,25" - the Player-Unit steps to next player.
Greetings Rolf

0Night-Rider-Work-18 (resized).jpg0Night-Rider-Work-18 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
great - jumpering permanent "2-6" makes the Ball-Count-Unit step-up (((with this jumper You cannot gain Extraballs - please accept this for the moment))). Not so great: ALSO the Player-Unit steps-up. The second shot "1,2,3,4,5,6,21,22,23" then faulty runs "23,24,25" - it should run "23,31,32". The fault is: The "A,B,C,D,E,F,G - closing D-E and also moving "23-24 to 23-31" by "the relay C actuates" does not happen.
For a short while lets say "MaxAsh wants to play ONE-Player-Games and enjoy the pin" - maybe tomorrow or so: We say: Lets troubleshoot to make the pin fully running (?)

So what I suggest here is not a fix - I would like to cheat a bit so You can play ONE-Player-Games. In the ipdb-schematics at schema-1-D-E You see the coding of the wire colors. Locate on the Player-Reset-Relay the three-bladed Make-and-Brake-Switch (my 23,24,31). Sneak-in and secure a stripe of paper in-between the contact-points "23-24" (((the 'closed when not pulling' part of the switch) - have the stripe of paper sneaked-in and have the jumpering "2-6" --- then play ONE-Player-Games --- question: Can You play ONE-Player-Games ? Greetings Rolf

P.S. - Please: Wait with "taking apart the Player-Unit".

#38 6 years ago

Hi MaxAsh
take away the jumper "2-6" and take away the sneaked-in stripe of paper.
You have cleaned the Player-Unit - please look at the Coin-Unit - DOES the Coin-Unit RESET when You start a brand-new game ? Or does the Unit faulty stick in "4-Player-Mode" and does not reset ? Do You have jumper-wires with insulated gator-clips ? Make sure the Coin-Unit is resetted - then start a game maybe for one player - or for 2,3,4 players - THEN (with the pin running) establish jumper "2-6". Then do tests and write about the results. I will read them by tomorrow - the "time-gap" between Europe and the USA is a bit awful - I happen to be tired - I go to sleep. (Then) A new day and another try to completely fix Your pin. Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-reset-loop?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.