View topic image gallery

NightRider_Playfield_Schematic.jpg
RectifierBoard_Pins.jpg
IMG_20190808_172439940 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_170512236 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_170533930 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190901_170450966 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Bally Night Rider (SS) - having trouble tracking down J1. I have this hacked up connector, with wires that flat-out don't make any sense from a color-code perspective.

Pins in the harness (as well as the red wire) are hitting continuity with like-colored wires on the play-field attached to G.I. lighting, which sort of tracks - but not consistent with what I should see as far as pinouts on J1.

Best I can figure right now is white is J1-1 as it shows on the pinout, dark blue is J1-2 (which shows green on the pinout), yellow should be J1-5 (which shows orange on the pinout), and red should be J1-8.

Does anyone have a Bally of this era or - even better - a Night Rider with proper color coded J1?

TIA!

IMG_20190808_172439940 (resized).jpgIMG_20190808_172439940 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170450966 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170450966 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170512236 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170512236 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170533930 (resized).jpgIMG_20190901_170533930 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

The Night Rider playfield schematic shows the rectifier board J1 connector positions for those wires: (click the first image to zoom in)

1. Red is the G.I return (ground)
6. Yellow is the 43VDC solenoid bus
7. Blue is the 5.4VDC feature lamp bus
8. White is the 7.3VAC G.I bus

The first picture in your post with the half red IDC connector shows the white, blue and yellow wires in the correct position.
NOTE, you have the pin numbers counted backwards in your post. See the bottom diagram of the rectifier board for the pin number locations.

NightRider_Playfield_Schematic.jpgNightRider_Playfield_Schematic.jpg
RectifierBoard_Pins.jpgRectifierBoard_Pins.jpg

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Night Rider playfield schematic shows the rectifier board J1 connector positions for those wires: (click the first image to zoom in)
1. Red is the G.I return (ground)
6. Yellow is the 43VDC solenoid bus
7. Blue is the 5.4VDC feature lamp bus
8. White is the 7.3VAC G.I bus
The first picture in your post with the half red IDC connector shows the white, blue and yellow wires in the correct position.
NOTE, you have the pin numbers counted backwards in your post. See the bottom diagram of the rectifier board for the pin number locations.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That's very helpful, thank you. Also thank you for highlighting the wiring in the schematic.

#4 4 years ago

The wire colors and routing were less documented with KR, however they did not change much with other games. Pull the Mata Hari schematics and you can follow them.

3 years later
#5 1 year ago

I am new to this. I am assembling a SS Night Rider machine and can't figure out the wiring for the left drop target. I have a switch bank on the bottom (of both left and right) but one on the side of the left. I cannot find a corresponding wire. I don't know where, or what color to look for. Thanks

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Turftigr:

I am new to this. I am assembling a SS Night Rider machine and can't figure out the wiring for the left drop target. I have a switch bank on the bottom (of both left and right) but one on the side of the left. I cannot find a corresponding wire. I don't know where, or what color to look for. Thanks

Post pictures of both the left and right drop target bank switches and we can tell you what wire colors go where based on the schematics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-pinouts-and-wire-colors?hl=pb456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.