0A738D18-1EC3-4165-86B1-E808BECD8BB5 (resized).jpeg
2978F659-E9E8-4AEE-8528-18CDD3353CE1 (resized).jpeg
1046B55F-6698-45DA-8AE8-022943B78175 (resized).jpeg
90EA19B8-0E5C-4FF0-9F69-68C763726097 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
9833015D-4C32-4B4C-BEF1-7DC8C235A538 (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Newest addition has a startup issue. Here’s what’s happening:

Power on and credits on credit wheel. After pushing start/credit button on coin door the score motor runs, the score reels reset correctly, ball count unit goes to ball 1 and the outhole kicker kicks the ball into the shooter lane. All good except the score motor keeps running and the outhole relay and kicker keep firing non stop and occasionally the big drop target reset coils on both sides keep firing but not all the time. Switch below the outhole is gapped correctly.

I just ordered a schematic from PBR but the PDF file is available on IPDB. It seemed like logically it might be the normally open score motor switch 3A with the green/black wire but I’ve cleaned it, it is open and making good contact when the score motor turns.

I guess I’m looking in the wrong spot. Any ideas? Thanks, Danny.

9833015D-4C32-4B4C-BEF1-7DC8C235A538 (resized).png9833015D-4C32-4B4C-BEF1-7DC8C235A538 (resized).png
#2 2 years ago

If the Bonus Unit Stepup solenoid doesn't advance once at the beginning of the game,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

Thanks Howard. I’ll check the Bonus unit now.

#4 2 years ago

Howard, the bonus unit does reset ok but does not step up once reset. I’ll get the jumpers out and let you know what happens.

#5 2 years ago

The end of the outhole sequence is score motor cam 6 pulses the bonus step up coil, cam 7 pulses the outhole kicker coil, cam 8 releases the hold in circuit to the outhole relay.
If the bonus unit doesn’t step up, it’s zero position make/break switch won’t transfer power away from the outhole relay, allowing the outhole relay to stay pulled in even when cam 8 releases its hold in circuit.
As the score motor keeps running past it’s home position, cam 1 will try to open the outhole relay, but it will stay energized because of it’s hold in circuit not opening the relay and won’t try to open it until cam 8 comes around again. Vicious cycle.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The end of the outhole sequence is score motor cam 6 pulses the bonus step up coil, cam 7 pulses the outhole kicker coil, cam 8 releases the hold in circuit to the outhole relay.
If the bonus unit doesn’t step up, it’s zero position make/break switch won’t transfer power away from the outhole relay, allowing the outhole relay to stay pulled in even when cam 8 releases its hold in circuit.
As the score motor keeps running past it’s home position, cam 1 will try to open the outhole relay, but it will stay energized because of it’s hold in circuit not opening the relay and won’t try to open it until cam 8 comes around again. Vicious cycle.

Wow, that’s a lot of valuable info. I’m
Getting ready to do Howard’s jumper testing and hopefully have something to report on what’s causing the Bonus Unit not to step up.

Thanks to HowardR I’m able to understand schematics more and more but I’m going to go over all of this when I get the schematic this week. Should be a great learning moment.

Thanks pinballdaveh

#7 2 years ago

So after looking at the PDF schematic file I’m assuming these are the three circuits involved that you were referring to in your post along with the circuit that Howard has me testing above. Score motor switches 7D and 8B are make/break and 1a is a normally closed switch that won’t open because of its hold in circuit.

Cool stuff but a lot to wrap my mind around.

1046B55F-6698-45DA-8AE8-022943B78175 (resized).jpeg1046B55F-6698-45DA-8AE8-022943B78175 (resized).jpeg2978F659-E9E8-4AEE-8528-18CDD3353CE1 (resized).jpeg2978F659-E9E8-4AEE-8528-18CDD3353CE1 (resized).jpeg90EA19B8-0E5C-4FF0-9F69-68C763726097 (resized).jpeg90EA19B8-0E5C-4FF0-9F69-68C763726097 (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago

In the 2nd pic the highlighted portion of the schematic should show it going thru the bonus unit switch to the g8 arrow,( not down to the bonus score relay ) which will connect to H41 arrow in the 1st pic.

#9 2 years ago

PM from OP:

I want to do the jumper test but need to know exactly where to put the jumper leads to start. Don’t want to take any chances and the score motor switch on cam 6 is not easy to get to.

Did you read and think about the content in the links I posted?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-outhole-relay-keeps-firing-on-startup-#post-6480612

#10 2 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out @pinballdaveh.

A question about this startup sequence that seems odd to me before I test anything.

If I manually step up the bonus unit coil once, the playfield bonus light on 1000 lights like it should and the score motor stops. The ball is on the shooter lane but none of the playfield switches score. In other words still a dead playfield.

My question is shouldn’t it score like a normal game sequence since I manually stepped it up to complete the reset? What else am I missing? Thanks

#11 2 years ago

Of course I did but for starters it looks like I’m supposed to test the bonus unit step up coil by jumping it to score motor switch 6D and work back to the normally open outhole relay switch.

Just want to do it correctly.

#12 2 years ago

Playfield power usually involves switches on the game over relay and tilt relay and isn’t outhole related.

#13 2 years ago

Usually the easiest way is to inspect the switches you can see for this:
For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

For example, I agree that Motor switches can be hard to get to, so you might start by unplugging the game, activating the Outhole relay with your finger, and watching the highlighted switch for the above, especially #2.

If that doesn't reveal the problem, let's make up a theory based on no information, that the problem is in the Outhole relay switch. You can test that theory by jumpering across that switch on the Outhole relay and running the Motor.

If that makes the Bonus Unit step up you'll know the switch on the Motor is good, and our theory is right that the problem is almost certainly in the Outhole relay switch.

Does that help?

#14 2 years ago

Playfield power usually involves switches on the game over relay and tilt relay and isn’t outhole related.

Thanks. So I’ll probably have that issue to deal with later.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Usually the easiest way is to inspect the switches you can see for this:
For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening
For example, I agree that Motor switches can be hard to get to, so you might start by unplugging the game, activating the Outhole relay with your finger, and watching the highlighted switch for the above, especially #2.
If that doesn't reveal the problem, let's make up a theory based on no information, that the problem is in the Outhole relay switch. You can test that theory by jumpering across that switch on the Outhole relay and running the Motor.
If that makes the Bonus Unit step up you'll know the switch on the Motor is good, and our theory is right that the problem is almost certainly in the Outhole relay switch.
Does that help?

Sounds good and I’ll start there. Thanks.

#16 2 years ago

Jumped the normally open switch on the Outhole relay and turned the score motor as Howard suggested and no activation of the step up coil on the bonus unit.

Also checked and cleaned the make/break switch at 6D after releasing the switch stacks to where I could get to them and still nothings changed. Outhole relay switches are cleaned and all looked to be properly gapped but still the score motor runs and the outhole relay continuously fires.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Jumped the normally open switch on the Outhole relay and turned the score motor as Howard suggested and no activation of the step up coil on the bonus unit.

Is the the Bonus Unit Stepup solenoid known to be good?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Is the the Bonus Unit Stepup solenoid known to be good?

Not known but I can unsolder it and check. Visually it looks clean and measures right at 10.5 ohms with it connected and obviously power off.

Let me know if you think it’s worth unsoldering and testing. Thanks

0A738D18-1EC3-4165-86B1-E808BECD8BB5 (resized).jpeg0A738D18-1EC3-4165-86B1-E808BECD8BB5 (resized).jpeg
#19 2 years ago

Ok, what the heck did I do? It resets perfectly now and plays a full game with very few issues and goes to game over after ball 5 like it should.

The only things I did right before it started working properly is I stuck a piece of paper between the contacts on 1A score motor and manually stepped up the coil once on the bonus unit. I still had no power to playfield switches even though the player 1 ball in play light was on and the 1000 bonus score was lit on the playfield.

I then toggled the actuator on the tilt relay and of course it tilted. I then tripped the game over relay and it went to game over. I pushed the start button and I got some loud buzzing so I removed the paper between 1A switches and all of the sudden I had power to the playfield switches and flippers. I played a game (and 5 since) and it resets perfectly each time.

I just wish I knew what happened and I’m guessing it’s possible that I’ll have the same issue down the road. I probably could have found out why if I had been able to perform Howard’s jumper test. For now I’m going to enjoy it. This game is a blast to play, just like I remember it.

Thanks to both of you and feel free to add opinions on what just happened.

#20 2 years ago

In post #2 HowardR’s pic shows a normally closed switch on the tilt relay. If this switch isn’t closed the common feed to the bonus step up coil and scoring relays opens and won’t allow them to pull in. Clean and adjust switch. When you manually pushed on the tilt relay the switch may have momentarily cleaned itself and might be barely closed now. That switch is the common bond between the two problems.

#21 2 years ago

In post #2 HowardR’s pic shows a normally closed switch on the tilt relay. If this switch isn’t closed the common feed to the bonus step up coil and scoring relays opens and won’t allow them to pull in. Clean and adjust switch. When you manually pushed on the tilt relay the switch may have momentarily cleaned itself and might be barely closed now. That switch is the common bond between the two problems.

Your earlier post made me check it. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-outhole-relay-keeps-firing-on-startup-?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.