733px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_Motor_Running_(resized).JPG
199px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_At_Rest_(resized).JPG
757px-BallyScoreMotor3-4View_(resized).jpg
cNight-rider-snippet_(resized).jpg
Bonus_Score_Advance_Schematic_(resized).JPG
Knipsel1_(resized).PNG
Knipsel2_(resized).PNG
#1 8 years ago

The bonus score is supposed to advance any time the top drop saucer, target or lit return lane is activated. About 20% of the time this is missed and varies when and which feature does not advance. I assume a switch is not consistently making contact and needs to be adjusted or cleaned.

Can someone help me identify the location of the switch or what would be the source of the inconsistency? Unfortunately I am new to reading schematics and to relating that to the machine. Link to the schematic if that helps: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1677/Bally_Night_Rider_Schematic.pdf

Thank you for the help.

#2 8 years ago

I think it has something to do with the bonus unit reset solenoid CD-29-1600 and/or the score motor.?

Here's a example of how things should work.

Knipsel1_(resized).PNGKnipsel1_(resized).PNG
Knipsel2_(resized).PNGKnipsel2_(resized).PNG

#3 8 years ago

Yes. I am thinking it is a switch on the score motor but am unable to read the schematics to know which stack I should look at or if it is somewhere else. The step unit itself seems to be working fine when fired.

#4 8 years ago

Any help with identifying the possible switch that needs to be adjusted? Or if it is part of the score motor at least which switch stack?

Thanks.

#5 8 years ago

Hi heiber
I look into ipdb-Manual and ipdb-schema. It looks a bit complicated - has to do with "3 balls per play <-> 5 balls per play", "liberal <-> conservative". You do not (yet) wrote about Your settings - I do write "in general":

In the schema at G-13 I see the "Bonus Unit Step-UP Solenoid". It is activated through "closing Score-Motor-Switch-6D (M&B-Switch moving), a "Switch on Outhole-Relay***" not interesting, a "Switch on Top Hole Relay" interesting, a "Switch on Drop Target Relay" interesting.

"Switch on Outhole-Relay***" - I believe - When the pin changes to the next ball: It gives You one Bonus for free.

"Top Hole Relay" I see at schema-G-40 - the "Switch underneath the Hole" - a reference to "C-39" -> there its getting complicated.
"Drop Target Relay" I see at schema-G-24 -> its getting complicated: Score-Motor-Switches, Switches "3 <-> 5 Balls" , a "Switch on Center-Target-Relay", "Switches Bottom left and right Return Lanes", "Switches activated when a Drop-Down-Target fells / falls".

Many switches can cause YOUR problem - I would first find out 1) "Does Top-Hole-Relay ALWAYS pulls when it should" - 2) "Does Drop Target Relay ALWAYS pulls when it should".
Please write about Your settings in the pin.
Greetings Rolf

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. My settings:

5 balls
Drop target liberal (x-ball lit when one bank is down)
Lane adjustment conservative (x-ball alternates left and right lanes)
Special / high score to award extra credit (even though the machine is set for free plan - I like it like this because otherwise special is too easy to get a free ball).

All of these settings work well and as I like them.

The next bonus advance is inconsistent and once every 5+ times it should advance it does not. This is not consistent (as in once every 5) but can be once or twice in a row and then not again for a couple of balls, etc. It gets missed about the same on any of the features that activate the bonus advance - top hole, drop targets, center target and left and right return. That is why I think it is a common element like the score motor switch if that is where they all come together to activate the bonus step unit.

If I understand how score motor switches work, 6D is the 6th stack starting from the left and the 4th switch up? I can check and see if I can adjust that if necessary to make it easier to make contact.

Also to be clear, there are times that the advance gets missed because features are activated very close together such as hitting a drop target and while the score (50 points) is advancing and another target gets hit immediately after and does not score anything. I am not referring to this scenario as I assume that is expected with an EM machine. I am referring to times when the bonus advance just does not move even though the correct points are scored.

Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

Hi heiber
thanks for precise answer. Yes, when a EM-pin is busy giving 50 or 500 points to the Score-Reels: ANOTHER "activating of some feature" at the same time misses the Score-reels etc.

Whenever a fault happens "sometimes BUT NOT ALWAYS": I suspect: Do to vibration / "bangs of plungers" / shaking the pin now and then: Somewhere a wire has broken-off a solder-lug - wires are stiff and tend to stay in place (NOW THERE IS contact) - shaking etc -> the broken-off end moves a tiny bit -> NO contact -> and so on ...

I also think it is "BOTH RELAYS ARE DOING THE JOB" - the fault is near (in schema and reality) the "Bonus-Unit-Step-UP-Solenoid / -Coil.

I look into the schema AROUND G-13 -> There is a "Switch on Tilt-Relay, wire-color-15-White-Red, wire-color-10-simply-RED are soldered-on -> check the Tilt-Relay and its Normally-Closed Switch (switch oxidated - not closing properly ?).

Look at the Bonus-Unit-Step-UP-Coil: wire-10-simply-RED and wire-21-2-Blue-Red soldered-on to the Coil.

Grab every wire and gently pull a bit -> soldered-on or broken-off ?
We might have to look further - BUT, You said it: Mal-function on BOTH Relays - chances are small that BOTH RELAYS are faulty ((( we keep in mind: an probality of 1% can happen (about 1% of the time) ))).
Greetings Rolf

#8 8 years ago

Hi heiber
if You do NOT find a dirty switch / wire broken-off - We might think of: Using a "48 Volt-Test-Light" mounting PARALLEL to the "COIL on Bonus-Step-UP" - for to GUARANTEE: NO mechanical problem - but lets see if You find the fault.
Greetings Rolf

#9 8 years ago

I checked for broken wires and did not find anything. I did not do anything with the score motor switches as I am still unclear exactly what I am looking for or the best way to clean and tune since they are grouped so tightly together.

Also I am unclear what Rolf means by "BUT, You said it: Mal-function on BOTH Relays - chances are small that BOTH RELAYS are faulty". If you mean that since there are 6 separate switches (2 drop targets, center target, 2 side lanes, top hole) that can activate the bonus advance and any one of them can fail to advance, then I agree the fault does not appear with any of those.

Please advise on next steps and if I should clean the switch stack on the score motor, the best way to do it. Do I have to take off the whole motor, or can I just remove the screws from the individual stack and clean that stack?

#10 8 years ago

Still trying to fix this as it happens frequently enough to affect the quality of games. My next step will be to clean and adjust the motor switch.

- As this is my first time, please help me make sure I am reading the schematic properly (see screenshot). The affected switch is 6 D, meaning the 6th stack and the 4th switch starting from the bottom. Per the schematic should it be open at rest and closed by the motor or the other way around? The schematic shows both open and closed inside the circle marked 6D
- My understanding is if I remove the two screws on either side of the motor switch stack it will allow me to remove the entire motor stack from the cam assembly for easier access to clean and adjust.

Thank you for the help.

Bonus_Score_Advance_Schematic_(resized).JPGBonus_Score_Advance_Schematic_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from heiber:

The schematic shows both open and closed inside the circle marked 6D

I dont have that machine, but, that 6-d switch is a make/break switch. in the pic, it will rout power to 0-90 unit, supposed for simple points collected.
when the motor turns, it will switch the power to 74-1. if either of those 3 relays are active, power will go to the bonus unit step up.
if you remove a switch stack, get a nut to fit the screw, and install on the stack to keep it from falling apart.

#12 8 years ago

Thanks. Can you explain in a little more detail what the expected behavior should be for the individual switches or how I can figure it out? So the entire stack is the make/break switch? Meaning that when it is moved some switches open and some close. Or are switches within the stack make/break?

How can I determine ahead of time what the rest and activated state of each leaf is supposed to be so I can adjust it correctly?

Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

the 6-d switch is make/break. that means 3 blades with the one in the center longer, and moved by the relay.
there can be any combination in a stack. normally open, like most on your pic. normally closed, like the tilt at bottom of pic.
Look at any relay on that pin, pick a switch, push the plate down with your finger, does the switch open, or close?
the plate has the plastic ladder part connected to it, and the switches that move are longer, and stick through a slot in the plastic part.
if the moving switch blade is on top, and closes when plate pushed down, it is a normally open switch.
if the moving blade is on the bottom, it is a normally closed switch.
if the moving blade is in the middle of 3, it is a make break switch.

#14 8 years ago

Hi heiber
I apologize for (reading - forgetting about - ) not writing.

Funny, wikipedia shows a Night-Rider-Score-Motor: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Bally_Score_Motor -> http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallyScoreMotor3-4View.jpg -> Number-1 is near the Motor -> I see four switches on Nylon-Wheel-6, Bottom is "A", then B,C, D is on top - nice for looking at - do NOT unscrew the switchstack.

Unplug the 110 VAC Main-Line-Cord (Safety Reason) -> turn the Nylon wheels by hand -> watch how the switchstack on Wheel moves down and later up again -> can You see the moving of the MIDDLE Blade in switch-D ? does it look good ? take a stripe of "cardbord" (NOT shiny colored-postcard-type) You want tu use it instead of "sandpaper" - it shall be a bit "rough". Put the stripe into the "open part of the switch (at Beginning- / Zero-Position / "NOT actuated") -> turn the Nylon-Wheel until the switch is activated -> NOW carefully move the stripe a bit around.
OK - do the same witch the other "part / half" of switch-6D: FIRST turn the Motor -> You can sneak-in the stripe -> turn further -> stripe is "tucked" -> carefully move the stripe around a bit.

Still I believe: A Wire can be broken-off a Solder-Lug - wires are stiff - they "stay in place" - well sometimes they do - sometimes they do not ...
Grab the wires and pull a bit -> securely soldered-on ?
Greetings Rolf

#15 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. Now that I know it was the top switch and leaf it was easier to go in and try and adjust without having to disassemble anything.

I cleaned both contacts and the gap looked a little larger than some of the others so I adjusted the topmost leaf down and closer to the middle leaf. I also checked for loose wires on that switch as well as on the solenoids on the bonus step unit and on the tilt relay and did not find any.

It is early but it definitely seems to be advancing more consistently. However it is still getting missed every now and then. Will check again on the switch later.

Also wondering if I need to look more closely at the bottom leaf of the make/break switch to make sure that contact is actually breaking every time?

#16 8 years ago

Hi heiber
lets use a Test-Lite for testing. You have 110 VAC in Your house. You have a simple bedroom-Lite (two prongs) - Bally-pins uses 48VAC for the relays / steppers etc. The "Bedroom-TEST-Lite" will not shine VERY bright - but it will light-up.

Whenever You just look into the pin, when You just fumble around / work: UNPLUG the 110VAC Main-Cord (Safety Reason).
Unplug the 110 VAC cord -> look at the transformer -> Do You see a wire-RED-White running from a "Lug on transformer" to the 48VAC-10-Ampere-Fuse ? The other side of the fuse has one or two wires-color-BLACK soldered-on. Do You see that ? If not: do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...
On the same level at the transformer - a bit to the side - "Transformer-Lug-YELLOW": Two Yellowish-light-brownish wires are soldered-on. Do You see that ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

Look at my JPG: "Violet": IT IS TABOU !!! ONLY the "Red-Dot" and the "Yellow-brown CIRCLE" are allowed - YOU ALWAYS MUST HAVE THE FUSE IN THE CIRCUITRY (WHEN JUMPERING).
Connect one side of Your Bedroom-Lite (a oldfashioned Edison-type 20 / 40 / 60 Watt bulb - NO NEON-Type, NO LED-Type) - connect one side to transformer-Yellow (permanent, solid connection). With the other side (using a wire) -> TIP ON THE FUSE "side-wire-color-BLACK". Practice a bit. Lay the open end NEAR the fuse - NOT touching anything.

Plug-in the 110VAC-Main-cord, turn-on, start a game. CAREFULLY take the end of the wire and (again) touch onto "Fuse-side-wire-color-BLACK" -> does the Test-Lite lites up ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

Turn off, unplug 110 VAC and prepare "Test-green-1": You mount one side of the test-lite to the middle blade of Score-Motor-6D - where Wire-Yellow is soldered-on. The other end of wire of the Test-Lite (again) lay NEAR the fuse.
Plug-in 110 VAC, turn on, start a game -> Reset is done -> pin idles -> CAREFULLY take the end of the wire and (again) touch onto "Fuse-side-wire-color-BLACK" -> does the Test-Lite lites up ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

Turn off, unplug 110 VAC and prepare "Test-green-2": You mount one side of the test-lite to the lower blade of Score-Motor-6D - where Wire-Black-Red is soldered-on. The other end of wire of the Test-Lite (again) lay NEAR the fuse.
Plug-in 110 VAC, turn on, start a game -> Reset is done -> pin idles -> CAREFULLY take the end of the wire and (again) touch onto "Fuse-side-wire-color-BLACK" -> does the Test-Lite lites up ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

Unplug 110VAC again - have a look at Your Score-Motor (and my JPG) - Dou You have a Service-Jack to UNPLUG the Score-Motor ? sometimes we want to turn the score.Motor BY HAND. If You do not have such a Service-Jack: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

OK - unplug the Service-Jack (Score-Motor) - Can you turn (grabbing a wheel) the wheels - moving -> grabbing again -> moving -> "a half round = 180 degrees" ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...

PLUG-IN THE SERVICE-JACK (SCORE-MOTOR), plug-in 110 VAC -> turn-on and start a game -> reset -> idle -> NOW unplug the Service-Jack (Score-Motor) -> Establish "Test-green-2" -> the test-Lite lights-up. NOW turn the Score-Motor by hand -> when Switchstack-6 is activated: DOES THE TESTLITE QUIT LIGHTEN ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...
You have just tested "Does Switch-6D open the part-that-shall-open".

Unplug 110 VAC and prepare "Test-Green-3": You clip-on at Upper blade (color-Orange-Green). Plug-in 110 VAC (and Score-Motor-Service-Jack), turn-on, start a game -> reset -> idle -> NOW unplug the Service-Jack (Score-Motor) -> Establish "Test-green-3" -> the test-Lite does NOT lights-up. NOW turn the Score-Motor by hand -> when Switchstack-6 is activated: DOES THE TESTLITE LIGHTs-UP ? If not: Do NOT proceed - report -> we will look at ...
You have just tested "Does Switch-6D close the part-that-shall-close" = THE Part You suspect.

PLEASE: BE VERY CAREFUL: 48VAC can kill YOU !!!
Greetings Rolf

cNight-rider-snippet_(resized).jpgcNight-rider-snippet_(resized).jpg

757px-BallyScoreMotor3-4View_(resized).jpg757px-BallyScoreMotor3-4View_(resized).jpg

199px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_At_Rest_(resized).JPG199px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_At_Rest_(resized).JPG

733px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_Motor_Running_(resized).JPG733px-Bally_Motor_Switch_1_Motor_Running_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago

Hi Rolf -

Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't see instructions on how to create the test light. I assume it is something as simple as taking the nightlight and connecting an insulated wire to each prong?

Thanks.

#18 8 years ago

Hi heiber
yes - I did take my "nightlight" (60 Watts, 230 VAC) - it has two prongs - i attach a wire (A) to prong-1 and I attach a wire (B) to prong-2. I do not have to bother "A <-> transformer-Yellow" OR "B <-> transformer-Yellow" - it does NOT matter.

Bally runs with 48 VAC !!! Steve fury shws a testlight for WILLIAMS-24 VAC !!!, here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics post-12. In post-10 he writes about testing (I also made myself this handy tool).

You can take FOUR automotive 12Volt bulbs -> 4 times 12 = 48 Volt -> a Bally-Testlight ...
(((working in / on another topic I had to test 110 VAC -> I took my nightlight -> and afterwards - just for fun: I tried my "built for 230 Volt nightlight" on Williams-24VAC -> I can see it glowing.)))

Try your nightlight or make Yourself a "four times 12 Volt automotive "48 Volt" testlight" - whatever you like

BUT: ALWAYS HAVE THE FUSE IN YOUR CIRCUITRY !!!
Greetings Rolf

#19 8 years ago

New discovery!!!

I was advancing the bonus and watching the step unit and now see that on the missed advances, the solenoid is still firing (or at least trying to fire). So thinking that rules out the score motor and things up stream.

Here is a link to a video of the step unit with both successful and unsuccessful advances. Now why isn't it completing the step advance? It is almost like when it is not advancing the solenoid cuts out too soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/QP9724RZ3pve7dTb8

Thanks.

#20 8 years ago

Hi heiber
good discovery / detection - is the current "cut out too soon" ? This can happen - usually it happens ALWAYS --- if it happens SOMETIMES: It "can" be a dirty switch - sometimes working - sometimes not proper working. IT ALSO CAN (!) BE A WIRE BROKEN-OFF - but (as wires are stiff) the wire has contact to the Solder-Lug (it has broken-off) - then shaking the pin / vibration -> end-of-wire moves just a bit to the side -> NO connection -> shaking again -> connection and so on and on.
WHENEVER You look at a switch: Grab the wires and gently pull - soldered-on ?

MANY relays have a so called "Self-Hold-Switch***" the relay must stay pulled for quite a while (long time). So for this there is a Normally-Open-switch mounted ON THE RELAY (usually on the bottom of the switch-stack) -> relay starts pulling -> activates switches -> CLOSES this Self-Holf-Switch: NOW the relay has made "Current to me forever". (((After a while ANOTHER switch (somewhere) opens the Self-Hold-Circuitry and the relay lets go and by that opens its self-Hold-Switch))).

"Self-Hold-Switch***": Easy to be found: From one side of the "coil of the relay" a short wire runs to a "Switch mounted on the relay": THIS is the Self-Hold-Switch - it must close and securely stay closed.

"Bonus shall step-up because of TOP-Hole" -> Schema-G-40 shows the coil - a bit above (still G-40) a switch is drawn, named "Top Hole Re." - the Self-Hold-Switch, wire-93-Gray-Yellow is soldered-on and wire-14-Red-Green is soldered-on. Examine this switch.

"Bonus shall step-up because of Drop-Target" -> Schema-G-24 shows the coil - above to the right, H-24 shows a switch named "Drop Target Re." - the Self-Hold-Switch, wire-61-Brown-Red is soldered-on, (maybe) wire-78-Orange-Black is soldered-on. Examine this switch.
Greetings Rolf

#21 8 years ago

Checked both relays and the hold switches (the short thin wire runs over the top of the relay correct)? All seem good and hold consistently even when the bonus does not advance. No loose wires that I can find.

Rechecked the step unit. The solenoid, plunger, arm all are dry and clean. Checked the wires on the solenoid (red/blue? and red) and both are attached securely.

It seems like for some reason the solenoid on the set unit does not always fire with a full charge or it is getting aborted prematurely.

#22 8 years ago

Hi heiber
hmm, what means "hold consistently even when the Bonus does not advance" ?

There are more switches to check.

BUT - for to test the theory "Self-Hold-Switches do not work properly - do they ? / do they sometimes ? / do they never ?": Lets build-in the "FAULT" !!!: These switches ARE FAULTY - THEY NEVER CLOSE !!! . Doing this -> the pin will show symptoms - is now ALWAYS the same old fault - always ? Is there a NEW fault ?

Please do that simple test and write about "This happens ...".
Sneak-in a "Stripe of paper for insulation" in-between the two blades / contact-points" of the "Self-Hold-Switch on Top-Hole-Relay" - do the same on "Drop-Target Relay".
I wonder, what symptoms You get with these "sneaked-in faults" - please write.
Greetings Rolf

#23 8 years ago

I meant that the relay always holds consistently. Both when the bonus advances successfully and when it fails. In other words, to the best I can tell both relays are always working as they are supposed to.

I did as you suggested and put a paper in the hold switch of each relay. When I did that:
- the relay did not hold
- the score motor rotated but no points were scored, no sounds were made, and the bonus did not advance
- for the drop target relay, it did alternate which side was lit

#24 8 years ago

Hi heiber
the symptoms are other / worse than expected. so take-out the stripes of paper.
Lets look at another "possibly faulty" switch - the Make-and-Brake-Switch (3 blades) Score-Motor-8-C.

Look at the schema -> G-40 is "Coil on Top-Hole-Relay". A bit above is its "Self-Hold-Switch" - further up is an arrow pointing "to H-32". We look at H-32 and see "Arrow pointing to H-40". There is a wire connecting in between. So if "Score-Motor-Wheel-8-Switch-B (second from the bottom) is faulty / dirty: The "Self-Hold-Mechanism" does not work.
Look here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Score_Motor -> http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallyScoreMotorFrontView.jpg -> from left to right count the wheels: First, 2nd, 3 ... 8th wheel, almost at the bottom of the Stack , the 2nd-lowest: When the Motor does NOT run: IS THE PART "CLOSING" REALLY CLOSING ?
Greetings Rolf

#25 8 years ago

Hi Heiber
did You do the test with the Test-Lite on Score-Motor-Switch-6-D ?
Lets look at schema-J-12 and look downwards: Wire-Yellow -> SCM-6-D -> to the right and then down -> "Switches on Top-Hole- / Drop-Target- / Outhole-Relay" -> down and to the left -> the "Bonus-Unit STEP-UP-COIL" -> to the left -> "Switch*** on Tilt-Relay" -> to the left -> -> -> "Switch*** on Game-Over-Relay" -> -> -> "Switch*** on Reset-Relay -> down, left, down -> fuse -> down to the transformer-power-side.
If all switches are good and closed - and the wires in-between soldered-on: The Bounus-Unit step-up coil fires.
Please write about "Test with Test-Light" Score-Motor-6-D.

"Switch***": If one of these mentioned switches is "no good": A LOT OF THE FUNCTIONALITY in Playfield-Features would not work properly - so I doubt tha one of these switches is "faulty".
Greetings Rolf

#26 8 years ago

Swith 8B looks good to me. Here are pictures at rest and when engaged. I did go ahead and clean the contacts.

I have not done a test light yet. I still need to get some parts to make it. Will report back once I do. I plan to use alligator clips to attach the wire. Although I can see how to easily clip the wire to the top leaf or the middle leaf when testing, I am not sure how best to attach it when testing the bottom leaf of 6D.

File_Jan_24,_8_59_49_AM_(resized).jpegFile_Jan_24,_8_59_49_AM_(resized).jpeg

File_Jan_24,_9_00_38_AM_(resized).jpegFile_Jan_24,_9_00_38_AM_(resized).jpeg

#27 8 years ago

Correction. I checked both 8B and 8C.

#28 8 years ago

Hi heiber
lets look at the snippet - JPG in post-16.
Sometimes it is REALLY difficult / impossible to clip-on a Gator-Clip at a lug somewhere. We should clip-on THERE - but its just not room enough ...

We then make a compromise - we say: IF WE COULD CLIP-ON THERE: WE WOULD HAVE A 100% PRECISE ANSWER.
When we find another place - that other place HAS DIRECT CONNECTION to "where we would like - but cannot clip-on" - we have that connecting wire ALSO in our testing - IF (if) this connecting wire is (also) faulty: We might conclude something wrong - assuming the connecting wire is good (what it is not) -> we conclude wrong.

OK, look at the JPG -> a wire-color-81-Black-Red runs (downwards) from "Lug-on-Score-Motor-Switch-6-D -> runs to "Switch on Extraball-Relay". The same wire (and wire-color) runs to "Switches on Tilt-Relay". The same wire (and wire-color) runs to "Switch on Ball-Index-Relay".

There are also connecting wires starting at the other Lug-on-SCM-6-D -> to Top-Hole-Relay / Outhole-Relay / Drop-Target-Relay.

"Wire-YELLOW" IS ABUNDANT in the pin - just an example: There is a switch drawn nearby - Make-AND-Brake-Switch on Outhole-Relay" - with wire-YELLOW ... (((Also on lugs on switches on Score-Motor: Plenty of Wire-Yellow attached ...

We CAN use "more comfortable places to clip-on" - BUT we MUST consider: We use an (other) wire in our testing --- When (when) THIS other wire is bad -> we get results that lead us "astray". Greetings Rolf

#29 8 years ago

As a simple test I placed a strip of paper between the middle and top leaf on switch stack 6 to try and create a consistent fault. But the bonus still advanced most of the time as usual. So maybe either I am not understanding and looking at the right spot or this is not where the fault is.

Thanks.

#30 8 years ago

Hi heiber
The result of your simple test was :" Bonus-Unit NEVER steps-up not through Outhole-Relay, not through Top-Hole-Feature, not through Drop-Target-Feature ?

Long time ago You mentioned: It works through the Outhole-feature - sometimes , sometimes not: the other two features.
You stated: "Self-Hold-Functionality Top-Hole-Relay" works.
You stated: "Self-Hold-Functionality Drop-Target-Relay" works.

Look at the JPG: "Light-blue line (wiring) works". The fault must be in the "Dark-blue wiring" - You stated: the two relays STAY PULLED - You stated: The two switches ARE clean and make Contact. Then the fault must be in the wiring (Dark-blue).
Greetings Rolf

cNight-rider-snippet2_(resized).jpgcNight-rider-snippet2_(resized).jpg

#31 8 years ago

I am sorry Rolf but I am thoroughly confused now. I thought switch 6D (being the top 3 leafs from the picture in post 16) control the bonus advance by closing the middle and top leaf when the motor rotates.

My test was to put a piece of paper between the middle and top most leaf thus not allowing it to ever close - which should prevent the bonus from advancing ever. But it did, still working the same as before.

That leaves me to believe this is not the correct switch for the problem or I am confused and what I am looking at is not actually 6D.

Thanks for spending the day with me. Will be so satisfying when this is finally resolved.

#32 8 years ago

Picture added to help clarify. I think I misread an earlier post explaining the make/break to mean that 6D was the topmost set of 3 leafs.

6D_Switch_Stack_(resized).jpg6D_Switch_Stack_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

Hi heiber
I do not own a Night Rider. I used to play it in the late 70ies - a pin well worth the time we spend "looking for the fault" ...
Attention: the picture (post-32) I made "a fake switch-stack 6" - I have taken: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Bally_Motor_Switch_1_At_Rest.JPG and http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Bally_Motor_Switch_1_Motor_Running.JPG
and then I made the bakelit wheel - this picture does NOT show Switchstack-6.

I do agree: the top switch (encircled) is switch-D.

I once read (have not made a link to that - but still remember): "Carefully checked schema and reality in the pin - TWO switches drawn in the schema BUT not mounted in the pin / ONE switch mounted in the pin BUT not drawn in the schema".

The schema may have a fault - telling us SCM-6-D --- BUT it is NOT SCM-6-D (grumble).

Your test is good: sneaking-in a stripe of paper to prevent closing -> the Unit does not work.
AS the Unit works -> conclusion: we are looking at the wrong switch ->

Can You find the WHEEL ? Let drain the ball several times and listen to the Step-Up-Unit (noise) and LOOK at the Score-Motor: When You HEAR the Step-up-Unit: WHICH Switch-Stack is lifted AT THIS VERY MOMENT ? Look here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallyScoreMotorFrontView.jpg from the left to the right: Wheel-3, -4, -5, -6, -7, -8, -10: They ALL have a "stud / mountain" on the outside of the wheel - ONE to lift its switchstack - when the Motor turns -> with a little offset in time: First wheel-3 lifts its switch-stack -> then Wheel-4 -> then -5, -6, -7, -8, -10. Can you find out WHICH WHEEL DOES THE JOB (Outhole-Relay pulling) ? So you ONLY have to investigate on THAT specific switch-stack -> looking for a Make-and-Brake-Switch with wire "Yellow (middle blade)", wire "Black-Red (lower blade)", wire "Orange-Green (upper blade)".

When I look here: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BallyScoreMotorTopView.jpg : I do NOT see on Wheel-6, top position SUCH COLORS -> we might have come across a "FAULT IN THE SCHEMA".
Greetings Rolf

#34 8 years ago

It does not show the stack but 6 has the same number of spacers so it was a good representation.

I put a paper between the middle leaf and top leaf in the switch circled in blue (one below the top one). When I did that the bonus no longer advanced - leading me to think this is the troublesome switch.

I have cleaned the contacts (they did appear more dirty) and to the best of my ability tried to make the gap smaller (hard to do since I have not disassembled).

So far it seems much better. It has missed a few times but not nearly as frequently. Maybe some more fine tuning will be required. But not sure I can do much more without taking out the stack - something I've been avoiding in my "do no harm" mentality.

Creating a permanent fault is definitely a great technique to isolate the problem. Hopefully this is it. Will report back after giving it some rest and playing time.

.....And then on to a couple of (Ball 3 and Ball 5) lights that only light up about 10% of the time. But figure that should be a new thread as it is a different problem.

#35 8 years ago

Hi heiber
good - You made progress.
second: In switzerland its getting late - soon I should go to sleep - no more pinside for the rest of the day ...
First: My Laptop computer has the nasty habit to turn-off the screen - it started this behavior yesterday - every half hour. By now: every 5 minutes - every 4, 3, 2 minutes -> tomorrow I must try to see my computer-doctor ...
Greetings Rolf

#36 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. Good luck with that.

It is definitely better.

HOWEVER. One apparent side affect where I may have nudged something askew. The Over the Top function (when hitting 100,000) is now doing the following:
- On player one it is correctly firing at 100,000
- On player one it is also firing at each 10,000 more over 100,000 (110, 120, etc).
- I've also tried it on player 2 (only not 3 or 4 yet) and it is working correctly there. Only fires at 100,000 and not at 110, 120, etc.

And in further clarification:
- 100,000 light stays on
- It is only the over the top indication (light for a few seconds "King of the Road" and buzzer) that keep repeating at each 10,000 over 100k.

Not sure if I have knocked a different blade out of alignment. Grrr....

#37 8 years ago

Hi heiber
I'm back again - the "Backscreen-Lighting" on my ThinkPad-PC is shot - for a temporary solution: another (standalone) Sceen ( I have never used my laptop-pc abroad - I might use that other screen forever ...)
"Over the Top Function" -> schema-G-6 is a relay (Over the Top DELAY Relay) - I BELIEVE (means I am not sure): This relay is geting pulsed "faulty". So look at schema-G/H-4/5/6 (its is just on the borderline G/H) - an arrow points and the text "Players 100,000 Relay" -> "1st" I BELIEVE IS WRONG, I believe the "Normally-Closed-Switch on First-Player-100000-Point-Relay is faulty - when moved: it stays (faulty) closed.
Please check that N.C.-Switch, it has wire-13-Red-Yellow soldered-on, it has wire-36-Yellow-Brown soldered-on.
(((I am just curios: Does the bulb (a flashing-Number-455-lamp) on the relay flashes-up - for just an instant ? --- Bally invented the funny "DELAY-Relay" and the DELAY is done with / through a 455-Flashing-Bulb: It is a 6VAC-lamp - avtivated by 48 VAC - way too much electrictity for a cozy / comfortable / relaxed flashing (think of a Game-Over-Bulb) -> almost immediately after getting energy: this 455-bulb CUTS the SElf-Hold-Circuitry. VERY IMPORTANT: If this bulb is SHOT: The DELAY-RELAY does not work as it should - it has NO DELAY (as the bulb IS SHOT).)))
Greetings Rolf

#38 8 years ago

That explanation makes sense. I was worried it may be related to the score motor switches that I have been fiddling with. I was confused why it was activating every 10,000 after the 100,000. But that may be because the machine does not know it already rolled to 100,000 already.

That particular relay makes a buzzing sound when activated. I assume because the plastic leaf holder is not secured properly. I've touched it a few times to see if I could reseat it better. Yesterday it worked correctly again and then today it had the same problem.

Checked and the switch on the left side of the relay is supposed to open but was not. Adjusted it and think it should be good now.

Looks like this thread can be closed. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-rider-bonus-does-not-advance-consistently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.