Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 27 days ago

Please dont make fun of me but in trying to fix a pop bumper failure I managed to completely kill my machine. I have a night moves by premier which has a system 80b MPU board in it. While trouble shooting a pop bumper issue I am pretty sure I sent the 24 volts that powers the pop bumper solenoid onto the 5 volt line that comes into the pop bumper board. Once the bumper fired I lost the score display and the sounds. I also smelled smoke. I cant find any components that show obvious damage on any of the boards. Have I done a really bad thing? Is there any chance of fixing this? Any idea of where to start looking for the problem? I have a limited knowledge of computer systems. I do have an osciliscope that I know a little bit on how to use.

Thanks
Joe

#2 25 days ago

I'd start by checking all of the fuses. Get out your manual, and make sure they are all the right values while you are at it. Check continuity with a DVM, not just sight. If you fried a component on a board, it would probably be the driver board. I posted yesterday about a guy who can test all of your boards, and repair them if needed. But start with fuses, then make sure your power supply is giving 5vDC at the input capacitor on your main board.

#3 19 days ago
Quoted from Flyinryan:

While trouble shooting a pop bumper issue I am pretty sure I sent the 24 volts that powers the pop bumper solenoid onto the 5 volt line that comes into the pop bumper board.

For 'some reason' Gottlieb decided to power the PopBumper Boards via J6 on the MPU board!
So if you connected 5Volt of the Pop Bumper Board to 24 Volt, you probably killed many components on your MPU

#4 14 days ago

Well heck. I tried with an oscilloscope to figure out what I killed. I dont know enough about electronics to know what I was looking at. Ended up getting a new board which is working fine. Still have pop bumper issues. Ordered a rebuild kit for them. Thanks for the help.

#5 11 days ago

Probably cooked some of those zener diodes I’d bet. Maybe some of the rectifiers?
Hope a rebuild kit will fix your issues, now that you’ve got the new board

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aurora, CO
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 6,200.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Little Shop Of Games
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside