Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by thedefog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Night Moves cocktail the other day (first pin back in the collection in a LONG time!) When I played it at the old owner's house, the music played as well as the sound effects. Got it home and I am only getting sound effects. I went through the connections to check if anything needed to be reseated, but that didn't fix it. Can anybody point me in the right direction for what could have failed in transport? I am hoping that it is somewhat simple as it was working before.

Disclaimer...I am not super pin tech savvy, so don't feel like you are insulting my intelligence by pointing out "obvious" solutions. Thanks in advance!!!

#2 4 years ago

Good question.
I just got one too and the music goes tinny after a bit and then comes back (probably capacitors somewhere need replacing).
The sound effects seem too loud in relation to the music.
Also the music volume seems to go up and down, but I think that's by design as it seems to be quieter until you plunge a ball.
There might be separate boards or knobs for effects and music?
But my guess is like the Black Knight I had the music if probably on a separate ROM chip on the soundboard and need to be reseated

#3 4 years ago

Thanks BobC! Re-seated the ROM chips on the main and auxiliary sound boards. Even cleaned them lightly (with cardboard) and still no change. Any reason why this worked while it was there and not now that it is home?

#4 4 years ago

Bump. Any suggestions?

#5 4 years ago

Is the LED on the soundboard blinking after the game is powered on? This soundboard has 2 sections, 1 taking care for background sound and the other for sound effects. It seems one section is not starting. Maybe you have bad luck and an Eprom or memory chip died at the soundboard. You can try to adjust the +5V with a multimeter. Another thing you can try is cleaning the edge connectors (aka cardboardconnectors) from the driver and CPU board. Use a fiberglass pencil or just an eraser. Notice it is not a Groundproblem....otherwise the other section would have been dead too.

Btw.....Night Moves......looking for it for years.....

Good luck!

Marco

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Marco! I hadn't tried the voltage, so I'll play with that when I get home. Do you just go slightly above and/or below the current voltage to see if the tweak fixes it? I know the voltage on my Dartboard wound up being the culprit behind some issues it was having, I didn't realize that this could be the same sort of issue! Hopefully not a dead Eprom...

#7 4 years ago

Is there a mixer pot for the music/sound? Sometimes they gum up and you just gotta wiggle them a little back and forth to get the wiper contacts to make a connection again.

#8 4 years ago

could be solder need to be reflowed or loose socket? or some issue with traces ?

#9 4 years ago

Would an issue with the pot affect only the music fx and not the sound fx?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

No.

See pages 35-37 of your manual. Use a logic probe starting at connector A6P1 and follow the data signals 1-9 to see where they stop.

I just fixed a no background music issue last night on a Raven System 80B sound board by replacing G5. The AND gate output on G5 pin 6 was reading low and should have been high.

No background music could be several things but its all just guessing unless you use a probe.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

Often times a balance pot is wired with the wiper as the output and the opposite lugs are the inputs from Speech/Music. I've come across a number of games (SS Bally games do this, as do SS Williams) where the trimmer pot is wired this way and gets gummed up and just has to be cleaned so the contacts can complete the signal path.

But in this case, listen to ndz. There is no trimmer pot on this game, as it is a set value via resistor, so you'll have to do some audio signal probing to get anywhere.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aurora, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Plastics
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Hardware
Pinball Haus
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside