Night moves outhole issue

By Pinballjimmy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Got a night moves and it seems the outhole solenoid holds open too long. When 2 balls drain together the outhole solenoid opens long enough to allow both balls into the trough.. this allows the outhole optic to be closed and the game thinks there is only one ball. In this situation the game will not attempt to kick the ball into the shooter lane. If you break the outhole optic beam the game will kick the ball into the shooter lane and all is fine. The problem is if you get a double drain in multiball or lose last ball and a ball is in the lock both balls end up in the outhole at the same time. Then the outhole solenoid fires and holds long enough to put both balls in the trough and the game cannot continue. In solenoid test mode i can put both balls in the outhole and when the solenoid fires it is quick and only allows one ball to go in the trough. Is there a way to adjust the time the solenoid stays energized in game mode to solve this issue?

#2 5 years ago

Here is a video of the double drain in game mode dropping both balls and in solenoid test mode only dropping one ball.

#3 5 years ago

Is the game and playfield setup for proper level?

#4 5 years ago

Well, that's a thought. Side to side is dead on level. Incline is 5.5 degrees. I see the manual shows 6 degrees. I doubt this will fix the issue but you never know. I'll adjust it.

#5 5 years ago

Incline at 6 degrees as per manual. As I suspected no change. The outhole solenoid just energizes too long and the second ball slips in the trouch as well as the first.

#6 5 years ago

That doesn't sound to me like a way they would design that to work. for them to design it based on timing just doesn't make sense.

I would think one of those cam pieces would block the second ball from going past when it opens to move the first one. Is that assembly put together correctly or bent or something? I have no experience with these so take what I say with a big grain of salt.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I would think one of those cam pieces would block the second ball from going past when it opens to move the first one.

Yes, that is how it's supposed to be. The cam should not allow a second ball past it, no matter how long the solenoid is actuated.

You may need to rotate the cam some amount (clockwise) to find out where that spot is. Another potential could be the end of the cam has been rounded off--possibly flipping the cam may solve this.

You can test this cam with the machine off, just rotating it by hand until you find the correct adjustment.

#8 5 years ago

I had a similar problem with one of my Gottliebs. It actually was being caused by playfield angle....

#9 5 years ago

I'm going to dig into this tonight. Again incline is recomended at 6 degrees which is where it is now. I assumed it was a timing issue because during solenoid test mode it snaps open/closed quickly and only one ball to pass. Probably an easy fix.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballjimmy:

I'm going to dig into this tonight. Again incline is recomended at 6 degrees which is where it is now. I assumed it was a timing issue because during solenoid test mode it snaps open/closed quickly and only one ball to pass. Probably an easy fix.

It’s almost certainly the orentiation of the cam. You can see in the video it’s sorta squeezing past the cam

#11 5 years ago

You guys are correct. I watched the cam in action a few more times as I fed two balls at once. It was allowing the second ball to enter the drop zone before shutting it off. I had to turn the rod the cam attaches to 180 degrees as I could not adjust it because the set screes had dimpled the rod. Once I did that I adjusted the cam clockwise and found the sweet spot where it held both balls up and when the cam turned it was fast enough to shut the path to the second ball before it could ride through.Basically the left point of the cam has to be just about even with the out hole metal wall.
Thanks and problem solved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-moves-outhole-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.