Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Night Moves that did not boot. Took one look at the acidy mess of the CPU board and ordered a Swemmer replacement. Repinned any acidy connectors and installed the Swemmer board. Solenoids on the pop bumpers were crispy and swollen, replaced the solenoids. Game fired up, played a few games, but I was in the process of moving so didn't really touch it for a few months.

A few months later, moved to the game to its new location, still worked. Played like crap because it needed to be shopped but it worked.

After a few months of playing it here and there, I got around to doing a very basic shop. New rubber, cleaning, it's a simplistic game to shop.

After the shop played two games, game was playing awesome. Game three, game seemed locked up. Went into switch test and confirmed that I lost 3 rows of switches. Since I have the Swemmer CPU board everything is socketed, replaced the two 7404 chips that handle the switch rows Z11 and Z12.

Put the CPU board back in, game no longer boots, outhole solenoid is locked on, MOVES insert is stuck bright.

I tested the driver board transistors, everything tested good. Replaced the transistors anyway, did not fix the issue. Bought a rotten dog driver board, probably should have figured that wouldn't fix the issue and it didn't.

The game doesn't boot, the outhole solenoid is locked on, the MOVES insert is stuck bright, and I actually have no idea what to do next.

Taking a step back and using my head, I have to assume the problem is with the CPU board, since the game isn't booting, and things got worse after I installed the 7404 chips. I did try and put the original 7404 chips back in, still the same, no boot and stuck on.

All voltages tested good at all the boards.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I'd check the stuff you worked on - any connections, maybe you have a bad solder joint somewhere. Since you replaced the cpu board is less likely that's the problem (although not impossible), more likely any work that was done on the original boards

#3 6 years ago

The swemmer board has everything socketed, I didn't mess anything up there. I put the original chips in, same result. In terms of undoing what I did, that's all I can do.

#4 6 years ago

Did you check the 5 volts to the MPU? Needs to be 5.2 ideally. If not, with game, off, adjust trim pot.

#5 6 years ago

I adjusted it to 5.0. I can try adjusting it to 5.2.

#6 6 years ago

Brought 5V to 5.19, no change.

#7 6 years ago

mine would boot at 5v and start a game but as soon as I hit the flippers it would crash. Any drop below 4.8. Hope that ends up being the problem. The locked coil and lamp sound like a transistor issue....

#8 6 years ago

It's not. They all tested good, I replaced them anyway. When that didn't fix it I bought a new driver board.

Quoted from smokey_789:

The locked coil and lamp sound like a transistor issue....

#9 6 years ago

I'm sorry if I missed this in your original post but did you do all the ground mods? Even the new repro boards need them.

#10 6 years ago

Oh, and did you update the big orange capacitor at the transformer? That one causes problems too.

#11 6 years ago

You didn't miss it but yes, I did the ground mods.

Quoted from MrArt2u:

I'm sorry if I missed this in your original post but did you do all the ground mods? Even the new repro boards need them.

I have not. I'm calling Steve now anyway, I'm going to replace the ROM... This kinda sorta feels like it might be a ROM issue.

Quoted from MrArt2u:

Oh, and did you update the big orange capacitor at the transformer? That one causes problems too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-moves-killed-itself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.