(Topic ID: 334312)

night moves flipper coils too hot ( gottlieb 80b)

By Matthew2015

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4651 (resized).jpg
pinside.62e778c7650d6216a5a6c0e69e350130a2ffd3a8 (resized).png
1989_Night_Moves_Instruction_Manual_with_paginated_schematics-47 (resized).png
IMG_4651 (resized).jpg
IMG_4622 (resized).JPG
IMG_4620 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

the coils on my night moves pinball getting too hot . after 20 minutes of play they get too hot to touch and smell hot.
although i not sure how these double switch eos are supposed to be set up . like which one is normally open and which one is normally closed.
put i took pictures of both flipper mechs so you can let me know if there is anything else that looks wrong.

IMG_4620 (resized).JPGIMG_4620 (resized).JPGIMG_4622 (resized).JPGIMG_4622 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

The EOS switches are normally closed, then open when the flipper activates. However, the leafs on those switches are mangles pretty good. Then should be straight and have some tension.

One of the coils may have the wires on the outer lugs reversed.

Double check the wiring diagram and wire colors.

#3 1 year ago

okay , i will look at the wiring diagram , usually flippers have only one eos switch but on this gottlieb pinball there are 2 eos switches so i am not sure if both should both be open with the flipper is activated. like is the shorter one open and the longer one closed when flipper is opened?

#4 1 year ago

there is also a buzzing sound from the right flipper when pressed .

#5 1 year ago

i did adjust the eos switches but now the left flipper wont stop flipping when pressed . it will flip like 20 times per second.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

i did adjust the eos switches but now the left flipper wont stop flipping when pressed . it will flip like 20 times per second.

Okay, don’t let it do that and don’t keep playing. That’s how you melt stuff.

The EOS is closed and it forced open when it pulls in.

You could easily blow up the switch matrix if you adjust these wrong and you’ll have a completely dead game.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

okay , i will look at the wiring diagram , usually flippers have only one eos switch but on this gottlieb pinball there are 2 eos switches so i am not sure if both should both be open with the flipper is activated. like is the shorter one open and the longer one closed when flipper is opened?

The switch with the smaller contacts is a lane change switch. That should be left open.

The switch with the larger contacts is an EOS switch. That should be left closed.

#8 1 year ago

This is a good guide on rebuilding and adjusting flipper mechs. Note that Gottlieb assemblies aren't specifically mentioned, but the same general concepts apply.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#9 1 year ago

okay i will look into that and will let you know how i fixed it. i will also make sure that the rest of the flipper mechs parts are in good shape .

#10 1 year ago

hm...i adjusted the end of stroke switch on the left flipper and even made sure that the larger contacts were not touching when the flipper was open ,
and the is left flipper still flipping like crazy.
the only other thing i did was clean the flipper cabinet switches which are connected with fast-on spade connectors.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Matthew2015:

...and the is left flipper still flipping like crazy.

When a flipper 'machine guns', that usually means one of the two connections on the coil for the hold winding is broken. Power side is there, flipper goes up, but once the EOS opens, no power, flipper goes down, EOS closes, rinse, repeat.

I don't see anything in the pics, but inspect the left flipper lugs closely. Especially the 4 wires that come off the coil and connect to the lugs. One is likely loose.

#12 1 year ago

yes , a machine gun is what it sounds like when its flipping like crazy.
i will take a closer look it.

#13 1 year ago

yes i think i may have found the wire that's causing the problem . the lower wire here was loose . so i will solder that back in.
there was also a loose wire going to the eos swith on the right flipper mech too , so maybe that's why it was getting too hot.

do you think its possible that the loose wire on the eos for right flipper was touching the other of the eos making it where the flipper voltage
don't turn off even when the eos switch contacts are not making contact?

regardless , when i have more free time , i will get around to to resoldering these bad connections and see if that fixes anything.

IMG_4651 (resized).jpgIMG_4651 (resized).jpg

#14 1 year ago

i will see if that will also fix the sparking issue with the flipper button switches . which those do have a capacitor on them and the contacts look clean.
the capacitors are supposed to reduce or stop the sparking so maybe the capacitors are bad or shorted.

3 weeks later
#15 11 months ago

if someone has a gottlieb 80b pinball , take a picture of the way the coils are wired. i think these coils may wired wrong based on the manual .
but i still don't understand it %100 yet. it shows the wire colors from a9p3 but not the other two wires that go to it.

1989_Night_Moves_Instruction_Manual_with_paginated_schematics-47 (resized).png1989_Night_Moves_Instruction_Manual_with_paginated_schematics-47 (resized).png
#16 11 months ago

okay , maybe i have it figured out , the grey/orange wire should be on the banding side of the diode according to the manual , all i need to do is reverse the diode and it would be correct , right? does it matter which lug the other two wires on on?

pinside.62e778c7650d6216a5a6c0e69e350130a2ffd3a8 (resized).pngpinside.62e778c7650d6216a5a6c0e69e350130a2ffd3a8 (resized).png

#17 11 months ago

The black-yellow-yellow wire should be connected to the non-banded side of the diode. The orange grey grey wire should be connected to the banded side. The green wires coming from the EOS to the middle lug of the coil and the banded side.

Addendum....the green wires connecting the EOS should be soldered to the lugs where the thin copper wire winding starts and ends (the Hold coil).

Another addition: it seems you are using 2 return springs. Only 1 is needed and besides that, the smaller pulling spring is attached in a wrong way which may cause a short at the switch stack ending up in disasters at the CPU board. Try to straighten the EOS a bit to optimise contact between the surfaces of the blades.

#18 11 months ago

okay i will leave the smaller spring off ,
it seems like someone must have changed these coils at some point and rewired them wrong and is why they are overheating.
it looks like the other left coil is not wired correctly either. it has the orange/grey wire on the banding side of the coil but the eos wires are still wrong, right?
like the orange/black should at the bottom and the green/white should in the middle , right?

IMG_4651 (resized).jpgIMG_4651 (resized).jpg
#19 11 months ago

Indeed, swap the lower green and orange-black wires. You will notice the wires are difficult to solder; scraping them a bit clean with a sharp knife like a razor blade will help. It is visible the person who did this solder job also had a hard time. Good luck!

#20 11 months ago

yes i will scrap them cleaner and resolder these wires the way they should be .
even though i have soldered many times , i still have trouble with it.

thanks for the help and advise , i will have to wait to solder these since i need to order new soldering tips
but in a few days i will resolder these wires and that should fix the issues with the coils.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/night-moves-flipper-coils-too-hot-gottlieb-80b and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.