(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 7 years ago

Wow, so far you are connected to New England, Florida, Minnesta, and various points in the Midwest and on the West Coast, that's pretty much covering the entire US of A! I'm not sure what your plan is, but that could easily be a road trip of several months.

At any rate, if you work your way to Southern California, I would try to fit you in if the timing is OK for my work schedule (I have to travel a lot for that). I could use some help on my Bally Monte Carlo. I am in Orange County (Huntington Beach).

2 months later
    #256 7 years ago

That is amazing. And also, unless I am mistaken, not only is Nico undefeated so far playing everyone's pins, he is undefeated by any of the machines as far as fixing them. Great stuff.

#296 7 years ago

This is epic.

2 weeks later
    #371 6 years ago

Awesome as always. And I love that Cover Girl machine, always play it in Banning when I go there and would love to get one someday.

3 weeks later
    #532 6 years ago

Some time back I thought to myself, this thread couldn't get any better. But it just keeps getting even better all the time!

And I recommend to take Darcy's recommendation seriously. I have traveled to quite a few places worldwide and the only issues I have ever had with customs have been with Canada - multiple times. I love our Canadian friends but those customs agents can be real dickwads.

#543 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Another hallowed artifact: Tennis For Two. Not a recreation, but the actual machine as originally created by physicist William Higinbotham. Video games, meet your great-great-grandpa.

That is THE coolest thing I have ever seen, EVER.

2 weeks later
    #688 6 years ago

I never saw a Picnic before, that is a great-looking one and it looks fun to play. I would love to see pics of it with the reworked wood and new backglass.

#715 6 years ago

Wow, like I said earlier. Canadian customs ...............

2 weeks later
    #828 6 years ago

Yep we used to see a lot of those banana slugs, I used to visit UC Santa Cruz a lot when I had a sprout going to school there. Here's a few pics I took while walking in the woods up there. Ones like these are as big across as your hand.

BananaSlug (resized).jpgBananaSlug (resized).jpg
    800px-Banana_slug_at_UCSC (resized).jpg800px-Banana_slug_at_UCSC (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #937 6 years ago

I thought the 2018 festival was all set for the Lodi Grape Festival Grounds???

1 week later
    #1000 6 years ago

That collection is "somewhat impressive".

And Beach Queens... 11 angry-looking haole chicks hula dancing, what's not to like?

#1017 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Visit #40 -> San Diego Pinball Club in San Diego, CA
    The subjects: Grand Prix, Skylab, Jackpot, Cross Town

Quick question: Spring, summer, fall, or winter… which city in the US has lows in the 60’s and highs in the 70’s year-round?
    San Diego! A city where the weathermen have the laziest job in the business: “Yep… another nice day today. Looking ahead to the 10-day forecast reveals… uh… same thing all week.”

Jordan (Heretic_9) invited me to assist the San Diego Pinball Club during this visit. He’s a guy who prefers to remain out of the limelight, so we’ll keep this episode focused upon the group class and games in his collection.

Mark, a local operator, brought a Williams Grand Prix in exceptional condition. His goal was to get the game running well enough to operate on route.
    The 100,000 score reels for players 2 and 3 would occasionally fire together. Typically, this would indicate an issue with a misaligned player-up stepper (which does the job of re-routing the score relays to the correct reels). However, in this case the intermittency was so infrequent it would require disassembly of the harness to check for frayed wires. Not something we could do in a class setting, unfortunately… but a troubleshooting path was established as a homework assignment.

We also covered a few basics under the hood.

Rob, who provided the classroom space, brought a Williams Skylab as class material. It was his first-ever pinball machine. My eyes widened during his introduction as he described its initial condition: No backglass, trashed playfield, badly scratched cabinet, unusable plastics, and broken wires.
    Rob had already spent countless hours (possibly hundreds) working on Skylab. After mentioning he was also at least $1000 into its rehabilitation, I had to restrain the urge to *gasp*. This sounded like a parts machine which, under normal circumstances, would or should never have been brought back to life.

Inside, I found lamp cord attached to various parts of the machine. Rob had carefully traced out the circuit and replaced broken segments of wire with it.

The bonus stepper was misaligned. I re-centered the spider on the rivets and made a few tweaks to the spring tension. After which it was counting up and down normally.

The cabinet flipper switches were a bit dirty. It was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the “swab, polish, swab” mantra with the Magic Brush.
    Switch cleanliness is critically important to EM pinball machines. The power for the entire circuit physically travels through every connection!

The left flipper end-of-stroke switch wasn’t closing. Flipper coils will be extremely weak if this switch isn’t clean and closed during the initial power stroke.

Rob made extensive work of repainting the playfield by hand. The wood areas were covered with a coppery metallic color. The rest was painstakingly brushed-in and hand-lettered.
    Playfield plastics were manually reproduced, printed, and adhered to the top surface.

The backglass is actually a homemade scan/photograph printed on paper and sandwiched between sheets of glass.
    Like the playfield, the cabinet was repainted by hand.
    Color LED bars were added around the upper ball arch as a creative twist.

At this point I could almost hear the invisible peanut gallery whispering across the internet... "Whyyyy?!? It's not original! Boo! Hiss! Wrong technique!"
    Ah, but they'd be dead wrong. This is a cool machine.
    You see, this is Rob's first pinball project. A machine which you or I would have disemboweled for the parts bin. But Rob didn’t give up or obsess over perfection. He just charged ahead and brought the game back from the ashes… no matter how high the difficulty curve.
    Did he spend too much time and money on this project? Use “non-approved” restoration techniques? Make personal customized changes? Of course he did. And you know what? It was a testament to sheer will and creativity. Rob used this machine to learn how these things work and made it happen, while also making it his own.
    Pinball soul is made of pure determination. This stubborn individuality is exactly what makes our community so awesome. It is the one quality, more than any other, which unites us.
    And that, folks, is why the world is now +1 on the total playing machine count. Rock on.

At Jordan’s storage unit, a Jackpot awaited closer inspection.

Jordan procured an amusing instruction sheet detailing how to change the angle of ejection from the center kickout hole. Bend the tip of the kickout arm with pliers? Simple enough.

This is what “high tapped” looks like. The power wire is soldered to the High Tap lug instead of the default 24 volt lug. I always move the wire back to normal voltage after rebuilding a machine. Otherwise the game is subjected to excess force which wears out the parts a bit faster.
    How much faster? I don’t know. But I’d rather aim for longevity and cleanliness than the “git ‘er done” method of powering through gunked-up mechs.
    'Tis better to tune up individual parts than overdrive the whole machine.

Williams EM’s of this age often use the “keyhole” style pop bumper parts. You can replace them with new Gottlieb/Bally bakelite and metal yokes… but…

…you’ll need to buy the KT-WPOP-01 kit from Pinball Resource to get the correct replacement plunger.
    On the left is the default Gottlieb/Bally pop plunger. On the right, the later-model Williams plunger. In the middle is the original keyhole-style plunger which would be replaced with a new one from the kit.

The replay plugs in the back were not configured to match the award levels on the card… which I corrected. Does it bother you too when they don’t match?

Finally, a demonstration of the “stealth LED” (warm white conversion) technique on Cross Town. In this first photo we see a deployment of red LED’s in the pops and cool whites under plastics and elsewhere.

Afterward, we have installed bulbs under the plastics and lane guides, and warm white LED’s in the pops and under inserts. The look is much closer to the original appearance.
    Also notice the cabaret lights (under the top arch) were reverted from cool white LED to bulbs. I always install filament bulbs anywhere naked filaments would be visible to the eye.

Before, the backbox was lit with cool white LED’s throughout, including the title marquee.

After the switch, a warm glow pervades the scene. Filament 455 blinker bulbs were added behind the title for a traditional touch.
    Thanks to Jordan and the San Diego gang for a brief but enjoyable visit! I only wish I could have bottled up the fine weather and taken it with me across the desert to…
    Next stop -> Stuart Wright in Phoenix, AZ

Wave at all the Zonies on the other side of the freeway who will be headed this way trying to get away from where you are going

1 week later
    #1108 6 years ago

You put in long hours, you did tons of work and spent endless hours with not much in the way of breaks. But with all that, dang it looks like there were a lot of fun times and good times. I hope you had as much fun and enjoyment along the way as I did reading about it.

#1119 6 years ago

Cool, you shot right by us in the OC headed down for glamorous San Diego, now come back to SoCal so I can get some lessons!

1 week later
    #1149 6 years ago

Any idea what the taping was for? A local news broadcast or possibly a segment on some other show? Either way we'll probably get to see it, all that stuff gets posted on the internet nowadays.

3 weeks later
    #1239 6 years ago

I always think of eevblog on YouTube (a favorite channel for nerds). He posted one video with details of how much money he makes from YouTube. More than 400,000 subscribers, millions and millions of views, and he makes a paltry $40,000/year. You would never be able to get close to those numbers with technical pinball material.

2 months later
    #1440 6 years ago

You have accomplished something that is completely unique in the world. Amazing. I also have enjoyed it immensely from the sidelines. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

2 weeks later
    #1509 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The only thing I like about Disneyland is the dole whip.

Go round to the back side where there is hardly ever a line even though 30 people are lined up for the front window. Then go in and watch the tiki show for punishment.

#1512 6 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Hey, keep that under your hat.

Secret hint courtesy for pinsiders only!

3 weeks later
    #1573 6 years ago

"Squeeze the sides to give a little more pinch upon insertion."

Rimshot Drums (resized).jpgRimshot Drums (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #1645 6 years ago

I was addicted to Pengo! Still like playing it on Mame.

#1657 6 years ago

“Dremel” and “quality” in the same sentence

3 weeks later
    #1776 6 years ago

SoCal at any time of day or night:
    McDonalds - no line in drive through.
    Carl’s Jr. - no line in drive through.
    Burger King - no line in drive through.
    In N Out - long line in drive through.

#1795 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

In&Out burgers are great (old school) burgers.
    Though their fries are only good if you eat them within 5 minutes of receiving your order
    By the time you get them home after drive thru they end up getting cold too fast.
    Probably cause they are not pretreated like McD fries and no sugar coating added.

Wait, what? You had fries left by the time you got home?

#1859 6 years ago

It’s tough to just say California and leave it like that. There are so many different subsets here and there are big differences in traffic, housing costs, weather, crowds, etc. Southern Cal is very different than Northern Cal. The Central Valley is way different than those two. You have the whole northern part of the state above SF, including wine country and the emerald triangle. And the desert areas. And the mountain areas. Each is filled with its own advantages and disadvantages. My favorite part is the Central Coast. My goal is to get back up there and retire and join you lucky SOBs living in SLO and Atascadero.

#1868 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I lived in the central valley in Visalia, dead center between Fresno and Bako, which is equally between LA and SF. It was GREAT for being able to go to either city in a few hours.
    If you move a bit east close to the mountains, there's affordable property that isn't part of the farmscape wasteland of most of it.
    I miss fresh produce.
    I miss being able to do anything that I want in LA or SF without needing a hotel or having to live there at 10x the price.
    What I don't miss. The worst air quality in the world. Living in line of site to the Sierra Mountain Range that you can only see 2-3 days a year when its clear.
    The biggest reason I don't move back, and this was critical to me long term, is water. I think there's going to be a devastating water crisis in the next 10 years that won't be fixable. There will be mass exodus and property will be abandoned because it was run dry through to the aquaphores. I know people who ran out of CITY water and have been without until the recent rains. All while farmers bargained and cheated out water from below their feet and from 100's of miles away.
    Its going to get scary IMO. If your curious about it, there's a decent documentary on Netfilx now about the water problem.
    I LOVE California and miss it almost daily, but to me there's no long term stability in an place so populated and tied to a critical and dwindling supply of water.

The water situation is always an issue, but it gets strange. There are many complicating factors. One of the major issues is the continual population growth. It is a bit odd how the water supply goes. Up until last year, the 2017 El Nino, we had a fairly prolonged drought. Things were getting dicey with the supplies. Then, in a single season, all the reservoirs filled back up. In fact, it was too much, causing a lot of issues in particular with the Oroville dam. Once the reservoirs are filled, you have about 3 years of "good grace", that is things will be fine with minimal effort even if the rainfall is coming up short again. Every year is a new quiz as to what will happen. This year, the follow-up to the crazy El Nino, was looking pretty grim. Then at the last minute, right now actually, things are picking up. The Sierras are getting hammered with snow as we speak. That alone can make a big difference for the upcoming summer season. Even now, all of the reservoirs are basically at capacity, with the exception of Oroville which I think they are keeping low because of the construction issues there.

An always interesting link to look at:

https://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/maps/interactive-map-water-levels-major-reservoirs-california

The ongoing statewide management of the water system is massive and somewhat impressive. However, some places fall outside of the supply, such as Santa Barbara. They can have really bad issues when the drought conditions occur. Meanwhile, overall conservation efforts have improved quite a bit throughout the state. But, this is counterbalanced by the increasing population growth. Then, once you go north of the current water project, up in the northernmost part of the state, the rainfall amounts are staggering. It is near rain forest levels. All of that runs into rivers and then into the ocean at the current time. Environmentalists will do anything to keep it that way, but strange things can happen.....

The water is always an issue. And earthquakes too. But, at least IMO, these do not rank up there with the other very major issues CA has. These are the things that cause so many people to leave the state for places like Texas and others. But, that is a discussion for another day.

#1872 6 years ago

Desal plant is in full operation in Carlsbad. There is another getting going here in Huntington Beach, but there are a lot of legal challenges.

I drink that OC water every day, still alive!

#1916 6 years ago

We are down to 67F today, everyone is freezing in Huntington Beach (after it hit about 75 yesterday). People walking around in coats with fur liners, hats, gloves.

And no this is not a joke, I am not kidding. I see it all the time. I am always tempted to take a snapshot of someone walking around like this, and put it next to the current temp, which is, like I said, 65-70.

I stick with shorts and a t-shirt all the time.

#1919 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

But would you dare share da hair of yar nair-region in a borat 'junk-in-a-sling' garment all time to prove your point?

YES.

Wife won't allow it though.

#1974 6 years ago

This reminds me of when Norm on Cheers got a job at the brewery!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.