(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2118 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Thanks Stoo. The only looming question I have is this... how long will a full rebuild last? I guess I am about to find out.
    Once rebuilt, I'd like to find a non-destructive tool (no sanding/filing) which can do exactly what the magic brush does, but without having to take tight Gottlieb relays apart and such. Basically a way to hit all of the contacts on an already-perfected machine in place. Like doing a routine tooth cleaning... buzz buzz buzz done.
    "Why don't you just file/sand all the contacts like the old techs did for years?"
    Because grinding metal to clean it leaves a rough surface, debris, and frankly just isn't awesome enough.

For the really deep contacts this method is pretty good as you can absorb oxidation off the contacts from the side, or just spray it off:

#2120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

spinal wrote: "Can't wait to check out PHOF. Can anyone comment on maintenance quality there?"
    I've been going there ever since a year or so into their *original* location near those old cinemas, prior to the relocation to the current site much closer to the strip -- but usually only twice a year. I can recall when only about 1/3 of what was out on the floor was in really good playing condition. I think this has improved over the years, and the ratio became notably better . . . but they still tend to get overwhelmed, compared to the work that must constantly be done.
    I always went there with a notepad, taking notes on any problems encountered, and turning this over to the staff. Over time, as I gradually gained more technical and descriptive understanding, such notes became much more specific. Officially speaking, the notes were welcomed as being helpful, but that could depend on *who* was receiving the notes. On occasion, you were simply the bearer of bad news -- about as welcome as some poison ivy.

I've observed that hard work every time also.
    There happens to be a British pub ("Crown & Anchor" ?), I think within a couple blocks of PHOF. It has been there for many years, fwiw. I kept intending to check it out, but never got around to doing that. Such fare tends to be rather basic, but generally reliable. It takes some effort (or bad luck) to find a place where they will mess up a fish 'n chips !

been there, its ok for a lunch or casual dinner, open 24/7:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45963-d445530-Reviews-Crown_Anchor_Pub-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

#2125 5 years ago
    Quoted from beadwindow:

Never liked straws or used straws and glad to see them banned.
    If you’re worried about hygiene/food safety then you shouldn’t eat in restaurants, particularly buffets.

Or use a door handle...
    Or handle paper money...

Or...

Just sayin'

3 months later
    #2191 5 years ago

Heat kills magnetism friction creates it in a lot of cases.

It has a lot to do with polarizing and depolarizing surface electrons.

Heating and then Cooling metal puts it in a highly energized state, and then a lower energized state. This starves off some or all of the polarization.

450-500 degrees should do it.
    A regular oven or broiler would suffice.

#2194 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Put magnetized parts in the freezer for a couple of days. It works.

yes, heating then cooling or cooling then heating.
    It will all work. Works well for magnetized pinballs too.

Its about reducing polarization.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.