(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisdodel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#479 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Visit #14 – Steve Young - The Pinball Resource in Poughkeepsie, NY
    The subject: Where Pinball Road inevitably leads

Three and a half years ago, I made my first phone call to Pinball Resource. I still remember the call. If you’ve ever ordered anything from Steve, I bet you can remember your first time too.
    It usually goes something like this…
    Steve: “Pinball Resource…”
    You: “Hi, my name is __, and I need some parts for my pinball machine. I need the… um… thing on the flipper thing which, um…”
    Steve: “Gottlieb flipper linkage? Gimme a part number.”
    You: “Um OK I don’t see one on there. It’s a plate and a stick thing whi-“
    Steve: “What game is it?”
    You: “It’s a Playball, a baseball ga-“
    Steve: “GTB-A12047-A. You need two. Anything else?”
    You: “OK great. I might as well get four just in case. Could you add two more?”
    Steve: “No.”
    You: “I can’t ord-“
    Steve: “You don’t need two more. A new pair will last a long time. What else do you need?”
    You: “But what if it breaks?”
    Steve: “It won’t break if you install it correctly. If you do it carefully it will work. Gottlieb made things that work. These games play thousands of games before they need fixing. In a home environment it will be fine for a long time. You don’t need it. Anything else?”
    You: “I… yes… I-I think….”
    …and thus stammer your way through the rest of the call, ordering a basket of parts you think you’ll maybe-kind-of-need… and quick… or else no soup for you! Who the heck is this guy, anyway?
    Then, sometime later down the road after calls two, three, and four, you discover Steve is actually a talkative guy with a wealth of knowledge and helpful tips. Chatty, even. He tells you where to check for issues in your game. Or he talks about the games he has. Or about the pinball business as a whole.
    You can tell he genuinely wants to help you understand how your pinball machine works. He understands pinball is meant to be played, because he plays it himself. And what initially appeared as a gruff demeanor gives way to an understanding that he serves the pinball community not so much as a Soup Nazi-character, but more as a careful steward of the available resources to all who would participate in the hobby.

It is at this point you realize Steve’s quirks are actually endearing aspects of his resilience. His stubbornness to use old invoicing and payment methods keeps costs low. His website is antiquated and poorly indexed, but Google search takes up the slack for free at no charge to you. He has a row of woodrails in his office to use as a surface for cutting schematics. Sure, he could buy a new table, but why? The old games work just fine… again, at no charge to you.

Steve keeps a parts library of nearly every game produced.

Each archive contains a detailed manifest listing every screw, washer, and plate inside a game, head to toe, as it left the factory.

All of the drop targets you need are in this row, custom made as needed.

All of the factory dies used for pressing new pop bumper caps and plastics are retrieved as needed.

Every pop bumper body you’ve ever bought came from this spot… individually pressed into service.

Every switch stack assembled by hand and clamped together in this jig.

Every switch blade contact punched in this machine, one at a time.

In the storage room, an archive of factory blueprints outline the plans for everything from flipper brackets to stepper discs.

Three and a half years later, I couldn’t be happier to meet Steve in person and see his humble but proud operation – stubbornly resisting the ravages of time – cranking out the pieces to literally keep our hobby rolling on and on.
    What else can one say but thank you, Steve Young!
    Next stop -> Andover, CT

Great post! I just hope that Otaku and everyone else who bitches about Steve will read this and maybe, just maybe realize what an asset Steve is to the hobby. Pinball repairs were a very hard job before Steve came along. PBR customer #A801.

1 month later
    #794 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Ok thanks. I'm also wondering about the details in the Dogies backglass. Is the man holding the right reign with his left hand and falling off the horse? These look like bulls to me and not calves. Looks like he's rubbing his back on the bull?? Is he shooting a gun in his right hand? I guess what I'm saying is the pic makes no sense to me so wondering what I'm missing here and what others might see.

It looks to me like he shot the tip of his boot off. That "Dogie" under the 4th player has one strange looking face!

3 weeks later
    #997 6 years ago

The "Queens" games were built specifically to allow the legal shipment of bingo parts to states where the interstate shipment of new bingos and bingo parts had recently been banned. You will notice quite a few unique bingo parts in these games. Motors, replay meters etc.

Wico and other parts catalogs from that era always advertised their bingo parts "As used on Bally Beach Queens etc." so as to get past the bingo bans. If the part was used on a non-bingo type "Queens" games, it was legal to ship.

These games are almost always in beautiful condition as most were never operated on the streets.

Bally was always one step ahead of the courts.

#1040 6 years ago

One of the things that sticks in my mind about traveling rural Texas is that any place, and I mean ANY PLACE, on any highway, is an exit ramp. The guy in front of you, even on an interstate highway, will just pull off anywhere. Why wait for a marked exit? Just pull off across the shoulder and drive up to another road. Every hundred feet or so is a well worn path where people just pull off of the highway. Must be legal. Everybody does it.
    One of the strangest things I have ever seen.

#1085 6 years ago

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. It would have made a nice documentary.

2 months later
    #1365 6 years ago

After cleaning Jones plugs be sure to firmly push in on all of the female ends before re-inserting the male plugs. You will get a tighter fit with better contact.

2 months later
    #1502 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I didn't know there were 20 different tables. I can think of about 5-6 (Roy, Eros, Take 5, Joust 2player, Night Moves...that's it for me.)

There are 39 listed on the IPDB.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisdodel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=dennisdodel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.