(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 7 years ago

Nico if you need a rest-stop in Southern CO your welcome here, my sad lone EM is a donor for a re-theme project that I hope to keep EM. the playfield's shot but the rest is worth keeping EM at heart. I'm about 15 min west of I-25 on the north end of Pueblo, CO. I'm not on FB so feel free to PM if your in need of a stop.

1 week later
    #77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

I'll do whatever I can to help with this. Don't want to let my personal enthusiasm oversell the general interest level, however: I think I should amend the EM owners "could be low" part of what I said to "probably is low." I'd really like to be wrong about this, but whenever I go on about EMs in conversation, I'm more likely to be met with blank stares. Our priority destination when visiting Pinside may be the EM section, but, realistically speaking, I think we have to acknowledge being a niche within a niche. There must be some of us here, though !

EM central for CA IMO is NorCal. Pin-a-GoGo has an entire room of them, and the Pacific Pinball Museum is half, if not more EM, or was when I was last there. I wish I was more into EM's when I lived in CA. I drove past a $300 Farafalla in great condition on the move out, and bought my working (but well worn) Lucky Ace for just a bit over $100.00.

2 months later
    #389 6 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

I look stupid all the time anyway, why not when I work on machines?

Agree, I already own a Jokerz, the machine already laughs at me all the time. No reason to stop and consider new sources.

2 months later
    #924 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

3 hours sleep last night on a slowly deflating mattress with a yowling cat in my ear.

I can't help picture some poor feline pinned helplessly under you and your balloon bed mattress, desperately hoping it's one extended claw can help work him free.

I can wait, get enough rest to finish out the trip, with plenty of flat texas driving left, its best to be rested up and make it home safely.

2 weeks later
    #1030 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

After dinner at Caruso’s I encountered a young man singing in an odd falsetto to an invisible audience, another rapping into his phone, and a third who asked Alan if he could have a slice of his pizza. Sorry kid, only three slices in the box and one was half-eaten!

Always great to have a place that's right out of a David Lynch movie. I had one once at a BBQ 'shed' in outside of St. Louis where a man slept splayed out on a table, woke up suddenly, jumped up, and said ' I wonder what chestnuts taste like' and split out the door, seconds later, his pregnant sister comes in, apparently to get a ride, starts crying, and two old ladies, actually mock her for no apparent reason. It had great 'nature scene wallpaper' right out of the 60's, a staff of chain smoking swearing cooks, and a helper guy setting up a buffet who didn't know the difference between a ladle and a spoon "Which one is a ladle". I'll give him credit for asking, but fail the state for the sad level of his education.

Sounds like quite the trip.

#1058 6 years ago

Congrats, a real pleasure to follow along.

2 weeks later
    #1158 6 years ago

Great piece. I especially like the peek inside the machine's hinting at the wonder's of how these things works. Very fitting!

So often new bits and interviews make pinball out to be something retro or a forgotten trend. I like that there was no mention of that, just a pleasantly positive message about getting out of our digital world into the real world; Lemon aid with a slice of lemon meringue pie out of lemons.

Great job Nic.

1 week later
    #1203 6 years ago

Enjoy Nic!

#1235 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

.people actually donate to Jack Danger to watch him play pinball!

Credit to Jack Danger, he has to hustle and invest a lot of time and money into making that work as well as it does. Its no small feat to collect that many viewers and retain them, let alone get them to pony up money continuously. If Nic did this, it would have great value, but IMO not more, just a different kind.

I do agree 100% on hoping that Nic does more to promote and build more of us into brave world of repair and improvement of these older machines.

#1238 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

in a world where effort is paid via view counts isn't going to work with a community this small.

Donation-based projects annoy me, but I can't see any other way to get (good) videos produced until I can fund it myself and give it away for free as a pure side hobby.

Agree entirely. The per-view model on YouTube now only rewards the largest groups. Patreon is where the funding comes from for niche groups, but even they require some size and scale, and even then its a risk. Ultimately the best approach is what your stating. Make it for free as a passion at your own pace when the time is right. You can plug in any of those other pay models as a bonus way to fund side project like another road trip or something else.

#1240 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

eevblog on YouTub

One of my favorite channels and agree. What's more alarming for those that depend on it for an income, YouTube is constantly changing how it measures and rates for payment, making payment inconsistent and often changing without notice

2 weeks later
    #1291 6 years ago

I'm going to use "chime grommets" as my default goto for any pinball question. Someone mentions their pin won't turn on or score. I'll ask them, "Did you check your chime grommets?"

Joking of course but it feels and sounds a lot like 'muffler bearings' so couldn't resist.

2 weeks later
    #1347 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

2 to 3 mm. Even 3 mm with the shaft might be too big.

I haven't tried it on this, but a loop of stripped16-18G stranded copper wire would probably work. Twist the loose ends together to create a gripping point for the chuck. If you reverse direction from the twist it will open up the strands to provide more contact points and the copper's fairly soft.

I've done this to clean out similar holes where I felt a drill bit would probably bore out material.

1 month later
    #1435 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Bottom line is clean on, all surfaces, and around, and at the base of a switch contact.

Agree. Techniques can vary but the core advice is to ensure connectivity. Nic's method is more invasive but harkens to a specific 'zen'. Vid's is less invasive. Both have merits.

I'd also add that each is targeted a bit more to a different audience. Vid's advice is sound for a very wide range of experience because its not likely to produce damage if done wrong and maintenance focused. Nicks advice is more holistic and about a strategy to rehabilitate a machine.

I think each can share a place in any one person's arsenal. A contact can only has so much surface area to sacrifice before it looses integrity. On the flip side, getting it clean and removing grit that can transfer from other parts also has long term value.

Pinball people are resourceful. By the time we polish out the last button contact away technology and new ingenuity will come along to extend these machines even further.

3 weeks later
    #1501 6 years ago
    Quoted from twitami:

I have about 20 cocktail pins

I didn't know there were 20 different tables. I can think of about 5-6 (Roy, Eros, Take 5, Joust 2player, Night Moves...that's it for me.)

3 weeks later
    #1586 6 years ago

So Colorado folks should start a clear lobby to incentivize a choice in our favor. I've lived in CA and think that its hard to imagine without some bonus reasons we can add to the mix, that we can win out over them.

I'll put the most obvious one. Better air quality, less congestion, lower cost of living and a good slightly off center starting point for future pinball tours.

2 weeks later
    #1627 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Looking more and more like Delaware. As I mentioned before, it's right in between several big cities, less then 2 hours away, no tax, and less than an hour away from Pinfest!

Its also home to the lowest highest point. Go DE

1 month later
    #1867 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Not every place in California is expensive, the catch is the cheaper places are cheap for a reason,

I lived in the central valley in Visalia, dead center between Fresno and Bako, which is equally between LA and SF. It was GREAT for being able to go to either city in a few hours.

If you move a bit east close to the mountains, there's affordable property that isn't part of the farmscape wasteland of most of it.

I miss fresh produce.
    I miss being able to do anything that I want in LA or SF without needing a hotel or having to live there at 10x the price.

What I don't miss. The worst air quality in the world. Living in line of site to the Sierra Mountain Range that you can only see 2-3 days a year when its clear.

The biggest reason I don't move back, and this was critical to me long term, is water. I think there's going to be a devastating water crisis in the next 10 years that won't be fixable. There will be mass exodus and property will be abandoned because it was run dry through to the aquaphores. I know people who ran out of CITY water and have been without until the recent rains. All while farmers bargained and cheated out water from below their feet and from 100's of miles away.

Its going to get scary IMO. If your curious about it, there's a decent documentary on Netfilx now about the water problem.

I LOVE California and miss it almost daily, but to me there's no long term stability in an place so populated and tied to a critical and dwindling supply of water.

#1869 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Then, once you go north of the current water project, up in the northernmost part of the state, the rainfall amounts are staggering.

Agree, the north end is a night and day different problem. I left a few years ago ahead of the worst of the drought. I take credit for the rains that ended the drought as they started, quite literally, the day I left.

I want to move back, but can only afford the central valley, and think the water problem will get much worse there soon. Last year's rainfall was out of the norm, projections show that long term that area will be dryer and rains north will diminish overall.

At the height of the last drought, even the north was showing stain. The Sequoia and redwoods were all showing signs of diminished water and if you look at the surrounding forests there's a boon of bettle blight (same here in Colorado) all from higher winter temps, so less stored water. Add to that the growing population at those city centers ALL drawing water from great distances, its just not sustainable.

When I left. A whole city 20min east was without water. I couldn't flush more than a couple times a day, and had to put locks on my outside spigots to prevent theft which put me over my 'water limit'.

Not many people in the US can imagine a 'water limit' and conservation that essentially deletes lawns, regular car washes, gardens, basic indoor sanitation.

I'm glad that it pushed and created an atmosphere of greater attention to conservation, but it was barely enough. I think long term it will be more severe and I'm not sure I want to own land that might be rendered dry even at the tap.

I'm sure they will somehow manage, but expect it will be painful.

#1875 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

when living in Bakersfield, was that water was cheap

Its subsidized by the farm water. It was a trade off for the evil deal made to give away the human drinking water to commercial consumers. Something noted in that Netflix doc.

#1878 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

ANY EM being remade in the futur

Whoh Nellie was as close as I think we can get in modern times, and its sales didn't make much of a case to chase it further. I could see a SS game with a simplified EM layout become a small market, but think the charm of the EM group isn't its play style but what the mechanism do to make that play style different. IMO that's where the charm lies. PINAGOGO had a room full of EM's, rarely full of players, and even less of the younger generation. Video games create a set of expectations and honestly higher reflexes that the old machines won't fulfill.

#1908 6 years ago

I predict you will live where you decide and will be happy. Congrats on which ever way you go. I too have unhindered flexibility to move and you've made me consider it again. Its nice to know you don't want to stay where you are and the world is your oyster. Congrats on narrowing it down to two pearls of your design.

#1962 6 years ago

Congrats. From steel guitars to banjos! It sounds like a well reasoned choice and certain its the best fit for you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VacFink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=VacFink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.