(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinPilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1064 6 years ago

There was no way I was going to let Nico escape before feeding him his favorite vino!

Quoted from NicoVolta:Visit #44 -> Mark Shackelford (pinpilot) in Granbury, TX
    The subject: Student Prince, bingo, and fading fast…

Mark wins the award for easiest Pinside name to remember: Pinpilot! Not only for having the dual-avocations of flying and pinball… but for LITERALLY FLYING A PINBALL MACHINE ACROSS THE COUNTRY IN THAT THING.
    Pinball-by-air? Too cool!!! Shame that Pinflights.com is already taken… it could become the Uber of pinball-by-airplane transportation! But not by parachute, please. Backglasses are a trifle delicate for airdrop delivery. Tends to land with a thud, yanno?

Today, a quick four-hour visit only. Poor Mark was getting the nearly-spent version of ol’ Nico. By this point I was coasting on fumes. We had high expectations to get a bingo machine and Student Prince up and running… alas, neither would be fully operational before my departure due to time, lack of bingo experience, and general exhaustion.
    I wish I had half the energy ‘lil pinball puppy had to spare!

Bingos are… insane. I’ve never owned one. Never rebuilt one. They are the double black diamond run on the slopes of electro-mechanical technology. Peering into a bingo machine is like looking at Babbage’s Difference Engine: Giant camshafts spin, engage, lock, and unlock various wheels and switch stacks at unknown intervals. Or constantly. Or not at all. It’s on another level altogether and, well, as of July 2017 I just don’t have the knowledge yet.
    However, I did find a few switches which weren’t switching (basic logic check) and corrected them. Also found several hovering fingers on the reflex stepper unit pictured here. I aligned them with the rivets as they should normally be. Still, the machine wasn’t fully functional.
    Nicholas Baldridge (bingopodcast)… host of the “For Amusement Only” show anticipated my troubles and, like Bingo Batman, offered a few troubleshooting tips ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, with only a few hours left (and flagging endurance), the road was a little too steep. We thus detoured to…

Student Prince. The 1pt relay was sticking, ball count stepper wasn’t physically able to move, player unit wasn’t advancing correctly, and a few other things weren’t optimal.
    Rebuilding the 1pt relay fixed the stuck reel issue and provided a basic introduction to servicing them. We then rebuilt the ball count stepper which was almost totally frozen.
    Removing the motherboard allowed us easy access to polish and gap all of the relays. I also serviced some of the motor switches… but dad gum it… in hindsight should have done them all. The ball count stepper was only intermittently working after the rebuild which is most commonly due to a dirty or misaligned motor switch.

When rebuilding steppers, don’t forget to give the springs a swipe with alcohol. They work better without the grease and dirt.

Before reassembly, the stepper board received the usual Mother’s polish treatment. Always a beautiful sight.
    And thus… four hours gone, game only partially rebuilt, and no schematic on hand we had to hang it up for the evening. Not the ideal ending I had in mind for the final stop on the tour. *sigh*

Nevertheless, Mark and his wife were very gracious in providing a home-cooked meal and a bottle of… you guessed it… that infamous wine again. Totally unnecessary but appreciated very much!
    I made arrangements to host Mark’s machine in the VECTOR Committee at the Dallas Makerspace for additional fixes and lessons. I’ll get it running yet, and how. Just need to get home and regroup after this… this… hmmmm. I’ll need at least a week to sum up what just happened over the last four months and 15,000 miles.
    Hang in there, Mark, and keep flying. We’ll have Student Prince up and running before long!
    Final stop -> Epilogue

#1077 6 years ago

Now I know why Nic couldn't fix my Student Prince..must have been all the Trump paraphernalia in my house throwing him off his game!!! LOL

Nic, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you decide to go!

PS - Johnny Brotherton got S.P. fixed for me today! YEAH BABY!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinPilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=PinPilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.