(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#635 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hilton’s Viking played awesomely well and looked beautiful. It was not surprising to see that it won a best in show trophy. The playfield was restored and cleared by our own CaptainNemo. Very impressive work.

I didn't even know this guy did playfield restorations. I guess there are 5 of us that do it.

nemo (resized).jpgnemo (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #741 6 years ago

Just getting caught back up. Nice to see some Zaccaria's getting some love on this tour.

#744 6 years ago

Sunshine? Looks like a flasher locked on and started on fire. Was there a giant magnifying glass above that game? Holy shit, never seen anything like that.

#746 6 years ago

ahhh yes, the aluminum foil fuse.....the old standard

1 month later
    #987 6 years ago

impressive....most impressive. that is fantastic.

#1036 6 years ago

not to nitpick, but the rebel cruiser was never near the death star. Ok, i'm done nerding now.

#1080 6 years ago

sleeping is for old people. Hopefully you can head over here on the next round and i'll show you the exciting world of Solid state zaccaria.

#1082 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Tell that to the blue hairs that power-walk our local mall at 5 in the morning. If that's what retirement looks like, I'll be glad to keep working until I'm dead.

you tell them when you see them tomorrow morning for your morning walk.

4 weeks later
    #1207 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oh wow. Must be seen in person. I was fortunate to be standing very close to the point of maximum totality with a clear view...
    It begins with the crickets.
    A few chirps at first, followed by a tsunami of clicking.
    Next, the automated street lamps alight themselves. Artificial world aligning itself with the natural one.
    The surrounding air cools. Sky fades to indigo-grey, quite unlike any sunset.
    And then... at the peak of darkness... a majestic hole in the sky.... surrounded by a halo of starfire.
    It defies belief. It feels utterly supernatural. The urge to hold one's breath is almost irresistible as all eyes fixate upon it.
    And as it ends... the corona sparkles like ice as a prismatic knife slices through... splitting light into its component colors before releasing the sun's power upon the earth once more.
    Monumental experience, and utterly humbling.

I don't know what it was, but it seems the eclipse brought out tons of crickets. I hardly ever seen crickets by my house, but during the eclipse they were about 40 of them on my sidewalk, and everywhere I stepped in the yard, had hoards of them jumping around in front of me. I have never seen that before on my property.

#1241 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I always think of eevblog on YouTube (a favorite channel for nerds). He posted one video with details of how much money he makes from YouTube. More than 400,000 subscribers, millions and millions of views, and he makes a paltry $40,000/year. You would never be able to get close to those numbers with technical pinball material.

I wish I made 40k a year.

#1250 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Trying to take a pay cut?

paycut. It's more like double my yearly salary now. Playfield restoration is a long slow process. You think i'm joking when I say I make $4 an hr sometimes. I'm not. There are plenty of playfields i've made $4 hr on. Couple was even $2hr. I've increased my prices but still my hourly rate is low. There is only so much I can charge before you outprice yourself. It's very very time consuming. If I had 4 of me, I could crank out 10 playfields a month and make a lot more.

#1254 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're lucky that people actually want 4 of you. Nobody even wants one of me.

I said, I want 4 of me. I don't think anyone else does. I know some would be in trouble if there was 4 of me.

#1257 6 years ago

I don't know if nic even took pics when he was here.

#1262 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I am stealthy but I did! Including a pic of the best Alien Poker I've ever played... which I now respect as a decent shooter thanks to your efforts.

Yes... pics downloaded and coming up this weekend. Mega thanks to Hawk Ford for hosting the class!

LOL whut? This is the best I can do short notice... but I ain't cheap!

speaking of pirate wench. You take any of mine?

1 week later
    #1273 6 years ago

damn all those games look to be in amazing condition. Someone is giving them some love.

#1278 6 years ago

yes yes. It was sleeve of wizard. So when you address hilton, make sure you say it correctly.

#1283 6 years ago

hummmm, i'm trying. As you can see in my playfield restoration walkthrough thread, They take some time. When you updating this thread with IO love?

#1288 6 years ago

well, you can take some when you come pick up your playfield.

#1292 6 years ago

I think that's a great idea.
    Chime Grommets can be the new "fuse" of 2018.

1 week later
    #1329 6 years ago

A little zaccaria disclosure. Zaccaria was owned by 3 brothers. One of the brothers died in the mid 80's. He was the one that was responsible for the art. Hence why you see a big change in the art around the last games to come out.

In the case of New Stars Phoenix/stars phoenix. Stars phoenix came out first With more traditional art, yellow ramps, and plastics with art on them. Conventional displays. couple months later, they must have decided to use up the parts they had sitting around. Changed the displays to LED's style displays, added the word NEW to the backglass. and did a piss poor slop together art package on the playfield, with no art on the plastics. Very little went into tweeking the physics of the playfield either. Nothing flows smooth and shots are just a little off. If they would have spent a week or more just on physics, it could have been 300% better playing. Good idea, just needed some tweeking. I spent hours upon hours tweeking this game to get it to play as good as it does, but it's still the shittest playing zac i've ever encountered.

the 2 brothers were still making zaccaria, but also started a new company called technoplay. Same shit, but more involved games. but technoplay didn't last long and was sold as Mr.game. Which just was a shitfest of crappy cabinet design and uneventful games.

#1331 6 years ago

little unknown tidbit. Zaccaria was the 3rd biggest manufacturer of pinball in the early 80's.

1 week later
    #1346 6 years ago

18mm is wayyy to big. you need 2 to 3 mm. Even 3 mm with the shaft might be too big.

2 weeks later
    #1383 6 years ago

well if you are planning on a 3rd tour. I'll hurry up and get your field done.

1 month later
    #1481 6 years ago

that guy in the back playing guitar looks like me from that picture.

10 months later
    #2238 5 years ago

maybe able to slide the switch stack over slightly to compensate for the gap?

1 month later
    #2266 5 years ago

poor EM's can't even escape the colorshitfest LED storm.

#2274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Umm, those aren't colored LEDs! Those are colored incandescents. There is no replacement for a filament that you can see, at least in my book.

still changes it to monochromatic, which will destroy the look of your art package, plus make it damn near impossible to see and play in lower light conditions. If you like to look at your game from a distance like a xmas tree, and see the pretty colored lights. then it's practical. but if you have to walk up close to it, then it's a complete nightmare. LED or not. it's not about LED, it's about the color. Warm white or sunlight is your friend here. LED or regular.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.