(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 NNAPT - Nic's North American Pinball Tour - The big plan Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #90 Nic's background and how he got into the pinball hobby w/photos Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #117 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #152 The map of the cross-country pinball tour is posted Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #208 And so, the 15,000 mile, nearly 4-month trip begins! Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #215 Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX (Atlantis) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #218 Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN (Grand Prix) Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Post #234 REGION 1 (Southeast bound) tour map - March 28 - April 17, 2017 Posted by NicoVolta (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

Will you be offering on-site Clear Coating and Stealth LED service?

A bold Endeavour, to say the least. Best of Luck with your travels.

#27 7 years ago

Jukes, Freight Elevators....

Can't wait to see the next "request"!

2 weeks later
    #103 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I think "Avocado Green" is the appropriate description.

While our washer and dryer were Avocado Green,

Our refrigerator was Pink!

1 week later
    #130 7 years ago

Nic,. Tell us what's for sale and where but Hold those sales details hostage to help fund your trip!

Then provide contact info for the right price.

3 weeks later
    #178 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Bring your sun glasses!

Is that due to the Arizona Sun (which I know can be brutal)? Or the excessive use of LEDs?

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I think it would be cool to have Nic give out some "awards" after he is done with the tour. All in the name of fun, of course.

Coolest dog/cat

What? Pet Ferrets don't count?

1 week later
    #226 7 years ago

Nice shot of the Grand Prix bonus stepper. They are unique in that they can count up and down in single steps but also be instantly zeroed for game start up (that third relay coil armature).

#236 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Take beach pictures in Florida!

Oh, you can add one more item to your list of bests: Biggest BUGs you encountered.

#275 7 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

If this was a TV show, I'd watch the hell out of it.

Nic screwed up there. Lesser talents have been given (or tried to get) reality shows. This would have been a perfect fit of technology and Americana! Maybe next trip? Might at least have all travel expenses covered by one of the cable networks.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

TV often screws up good ideas though. I'll consider it for an encore trip... but the debut has to be all about us, for us. No advertising, no BS.

I am sure you will encounter a $5000 Bally Odds and Evens

1 week later
    #321 7 years ago

Nic,

Funny you should take a washer out, I just put one in!

I was working on a Gottlieb Gridiron at the Banning Museum. Problem was, not starting reliably every time (often sat there running the score motor until the final relay kicked over to allow the ball to be served). Problem sent me to the HOLD relay. In working with it, I determined it was not "fully" releasing. It would let go, and the switch actuator (ladder) would move out, but not always enough to change the necessary state of the switches. I discovered that someone has adjusted the dynamic blades (longer blade that is moved by the armature) with too much downward tension which was keeping the armature from going fully outward. It would kind of just float to wherever it decided it wanted to be that time. Never wanting to alter the armature spring in any way (some would simply increase tension by cutting a loop or two), I ended up re-adjusting the dynamic blades to stop fighting the spring tension and problem solved.

But new problem created. With the relay coil having a bit more fight now, the armature was buzzing. Buzzing a lot!! As I removed the coil to see whether there was something that could be done to reposition it to lessen the buzz, I ended up adding a thin washer between the coil slug and the bracket. Buzzing was gone, but so was the large amount of travel to the armature. A little fine tuning of the switch blades and all was fine.

We will have to see how it holds up now.......

Its interesting about those wires breaking off of the trip bank lugs as your photo shows. It seems its not really a cold solder but rather the original platting on the switch blades is de-bonding from the base metal (at least, that's what I have found). Like you said, full down-the-line resoldering is often required.

#334 7 years ago
    Quoted from D_Graunch:

Dang. I haven't had any luck finding anyone that will work on these buggers. Well, good luck on tour!

There was one of the older makes they used to refer to as "Jam Balls". And for good reason. Unless they are the newer LCD style units, they usually sell for less than what it would cost to get them repaired.

1 week later
    #387 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I should have one, but so far I've resisted because of the way they look. There is a limit as to how dorky I will allow this hobby to make me.
    Good idea though. I'll stash one in my private workshop eventually.

You are not alone, Nic! I have had a headlight in my tool case for over a year and it has yet to Grace my forehead for the same reason.

Instead, I prefer the germ laden mini flashlight gripped firmly between my teeth.

Besides, it would mess up my "do".

#391 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, my dad did that too, until he was working on a wall socket & touched the wrong thing. Surprised him & he bit down breaking a front tooth off. I bought him a headlamp for Christmas......

I like to turn the breaker off when I am working on Wall Sockets.

Not sure which is more geeky, a Head Lamp or this:

https://www.safetyonline.com/doc/lite-bite-mini-flashlight-0001

1 week later
    #443 6 years ago

Sounds like a massive amount of add-a-balls awaits you at your next Stop?

2 weeks later
    #561 6 years ago

Okay Nic,

Artichokes: melted butter or Mayonnaise?

2 weeks later
    #707 6 years ago

Ahhh. I was thinking you were getting a Bally El Toro?

#724 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beemus:

Saw you found timme at the nw show lastnight and his beautiful wedgeheads. Ask him about nudging. If he can't convince/teach you then never try again. Will try to say hi today. Welcome to our hood!

Timme's line up of EMs was the highlight of the show for me when I attended one year.

1 week later
    #781 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Wow, a lot of old "Ringer" and "Penny Pitch" games are popping up as of late. Now if CPR or PR would make replacement glass for them ...

More a question if Shay or Webb would be willing. But I think you will need to find at least 20 committed buyers for it to proceeded. And just a guess here, due to it's size, expect to pay about double the current price of a normal sized backglass. Therefore, I would think the number just shrank to less than 5 willing to spend $650+ plus shipping (which won't be cheap either!).

Which makes it more a direct print on Plexiglass type project. So maybe BGresto.com?

#805 6 years ago

& Drive on the wrong side of the road.

1 week later
    #887 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lets:

FYI, the score motor still isn't always stopping soon enough. I'm t Got any advise on how to disassemble the motor assembly? It appears to be riveted together.

Multi products used to have a rivet kit for use after cutting open the gearbox. Check with Steve Young at Pinball Resource to see if he is still willing to sell them. I believe he will only do the work in-house now and not sell MP parts.

But I have opened them up before and resealed them with finish machine screws and lock nuts. It all depends on if they have to sit up against any mounting plates.

1 week later
    #953 6 years ago

Mystery Unbelievable-land: AKA "What I did on my 4th of July vacation"?

#973 6 years ago

Pinball AND Italian Food? Dang, wish I lived in Arizona.

Oh, Wait, isn't it like 118 degrees there today? Dry heat is still heat!! And now you have that wonderful Monsoonal Moisture.

1 week later
    #1048 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Also look in the background... I see some... green stuff? A TREE! THERE IS A TREE HERE!

I thought they Outlawed Trees in Texas back in the 1800's?

4 weeks later
    #1199 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

You might want to hit the road sooner than you think,
    could be bumper to bumper log jam on the freeways
    heading to ground zero.

My friend is traveling to Portland this weekend. Said there are no Rental Cars available at all until Tuesday. All the companies over booked and are having to tell people they won't get a car!

4 weeks later
    #1303 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Nic, what multimeter do you recommend?

Definitely avoid any "Auto Function" style meter (the kind without a knob to select whether AC, DC, Ohms, Amps etc.). For the novice, who isn't exactly sure what to see or expect, they can be rather confusing. In fact, I would even avoid an Auto Ranging meter for about the same reasons.

As Nic pointed out, just about any meter is fine for EM work, but beware, the really cheap ones can also be misleading as they age and as the battery levels drop. A decent test is to check Volts AC on a known good outlet (110-120VAC) to insure the meter is still reading correctly before trusting what you are getting inside the game.

Even the Freebee from Harbor Freight is okay until its time to throw it away! Just don't pay the $12-$14 normal price on it. The link MikeO pointed to on Amazon looks to be a really good choice for the price.

#1318 6 years ago

60/40 lead rosin core is still available on eBay, $18 for a 1 pound roll. Just bought one, generic (no markings at all) but works fine and doesn't have any odd smell.

Consider the Weller solder irons which include LEDs shining on where you work. Greatest invention since the battery powered Dremel. . I think even harbor freight stocks them.

1 week later
    #1342 6 years ago

These might work. They are stiff steel brushes designed to clean out the hole in a pace desolder heater where the tip goes. Not cheap but perhaps someone can buy the pack and then split it?

I have some at work. I will have to see how they fit the Jones plug hole.

http://www.newark.com/pace/1127-0006-p5/wire-brush-3-18mm-pk5

#1348 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Link not working for me

Just Google the PACE part number 1127-0006. You will get a number of hits.

1 month later
    #1420 6 years ago

Beware of low cost Alligator clip sets! They are typically made of extremely thin, low strand count wire which is "attached" to the clip by simply bending the striped end back over the insulation. They make very poor connections and cannot carry the current of a playfield or stepper coil.

Buy the heavy duty ones. And then dissect them to actually solder the wire to the clip.

#1426 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Thanks CJ... wanna Amazon a link to a good set you'd recommend?

Not sure about Amazon. Many and most descriptions are either vague or non-existent.

Here is a pair on eBay that specifies wire guage is 16AWG (some of the cheap ones are 26AWG).

ebay.com link: Pair of Dual Red Black Test Leads with Alligator Clips Jumper Cable

1 week later
    #1432 6 years ago

Not speaking for Vid, but the only exposed portion of the switch that carries any current is the contact face. Weather or not the Blade is nice and shinny really doesn't matter other than esthetics. However, one could argue that by leaving the crud that was already there, and the new crud produced by filing the points, this crud can migrate and foul the contact face again.

Vid's comment may also be directed at those that think using Contact Cleaner (a chemical), is necessary. The fact is, it should never be used on a Pinball machine!

1 week later
    #1439 6 years ago

Same to you and your Family, Nic!

Many of us have enjoyed your personal adventure this past year and appreciate your taking the time and effort to document it publically here on Pinside.

#1466 6 years ago

FWIW, I have been using Finish Line for years now on Bill Acceptor rebuilds.

On a product that uses nylon wheels and Teflon coated axles, even after replacing worn axles, we used to use a tiny drop of oil. Because the oil was necessary to provide enough slip when using new, tight belts so the motor could still maintain proper speed. And, as you know, oil attracts dirt, which was the reason for a tiny drop.

I switched to Finish line instead of the oil and there is far less build up of dust and grime now.

The trick is to spread it around and blow it dry to get rid of the liquid used to propell it out if the can before you seal the lubed portion from air (like placing a wheel or pulley on a shaft).

White Lithium Grease and super lube are far too sticky in many applications (but have their purpose when you don't want the lube to migrate (gears, cams etc)). The Finish Line is a good sub for triflow.

#1477 6 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. No reason why not. Driving three coils isn't that big of a load. Even if it does need to be distributed to a second or third switch, just put them on the same cam bump and they all reset at once.

But it would sound so much better to step each one at a different phase and then also do the reset coils on different phases of the score motor.

You could even get super fancy and have the score motor step the first stepper up to it's max limit. Have a Max Limit switch transfer the pulses to the second stepper, have the second stepper's limit switch transfer to the 3rd stepper and then have the 3rd steppers limit switch trigger a reset relay to drive all three reset coils (or reset them off different phases of the score motor cycle ending with the 3rd Stepper which would drop out the Reset Relay.

Would be fun to watch it beat the crap out of the coil stops.

Now, add three bonus ladders of lights attached to each stepper..... just to make it Purdy!

1 week later
    #1500 6 years ago
    Quoted from twitami:

I have about 20 cocktail pins (10 or so Allied Leisure machines in fact). Want to come fix some more of them?

20 Cocktail pins? Its sounds more like you have an illness and your home should be quarantined so as not to allow Nic to spread your disease to other pinsiders. LOL

#1505 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Also owned a NIB Valley Spectra IV

Sadly, I still own a specta IV disassembled and scattered around storage.

#1510 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Go round to the back side where there is hardly ever a line even though 30 people are lined up for the front window. Then go in and watch the tiki show for punishment.

My wife Loves the Dole Whip but to get it, she must endure a round of the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room!

1 month later
    #1618 6 years ago

Not saying this is where they were purchased but here is a possible source in quantity:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#90532a100/=1b6l8ql

1 week later
    #1643 6 years ago

Did the Star Wars stay working through the whole party?

3 weeks later
    #1749 6 years ago

Certainly looks like what I clean off the carpet when the dogs dinner comes back up!

But no doubt, it's tasty?

#1754 6 years ago
    Quoted from fanuminski:

don't you have an attachment for your Dremel to eat that with that
    would be faster than using that old, archaic spoon?

Harbor Freight sells a cheap Transfer Pump. I suppose you could use it both directions?

#1777 6 years ago

Actually, Micky D's often has lines. In fact, they have been adding double drive thru order stations to most if the soi cal locations. For me, its the $2 Mocha Frape's and the $1 large drinks. Rarely buy actual food there.

Carl's should no longer be considered "fast food" as they have extremely long drive through wait times now. And the foods rarely worth the wait.

BK, there are hardly any left down south. Some franchisee converted to El Polo loco instead.

#1783 6 years ago
    Quoted from beadwindow:

yeah, one can hope. i never go to medford for anything so we get our fix when traveling.

Some things are best savored that way.

Everything in moderation.

Tom, I do love the crunchy remenents at the bottom of the fry boat, cold or not!

#1785 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Also, their fries are garbage.

I learned long ago, you either love or hate their fries. I happen to like them a lot. But as Tom pointed out, they must be consumed on-site or they are a big disappointment.

I also love McDs fries. But the best is a platter of "steak fries"!

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#1790 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have a real fondness for Foster Freeze's crinkle cut seasoned fries

And you are probably the reason we can't get "normal" fries at Arby's any longer.

Anyone remember "snow shoe" friesat Bullwinkle's? I guess it's about the same as Chick Fila's waffle fries.

I guess Nic has to step in with a Bento Box discussion to get us off fries? And Nic, if you are still paying attention, just found a great Sushi place near home that has some great dinner Bento box platters. So when your in town, we will have to take you!

#1794 6 years ago

Asylum? No. Pinball Player's Paradise? Yes.

A very eclectic mix of pins for sure.

#1804 6 years ago

Politely discuss the use of colored LEDs?

#1874 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

@ JAHpinWizard (post 1856):
    Uhm, Barstow is in the middle of the Dez. F'real !
    @ VacFink (post 1869):
    Solutions must be found, and so will be found. In Orange County, they implemented the so-called "Toilet to Tap" water recycling process some time ago, in a mandatory way. Regular stories on the news, where their County gov't. officials are seen visiting the plants, and quaffing a glass of H2O to demo how safe and unremarkable it is -- or so they claim. Yecchh ! The very notion of this grosses me out. For that reason, I do not stop at any restaurants in the O.C., and will not drink ANYTHING while I'm there..

As I understand it (and I have lived in South Orange county since 1978), while we do recycle our sewer water, it is made relatively safe and then it is used for irrigation (landscaping water) so that it can trickle down through the earth, get filtered, and then reenter our water table. You will see plenty of "purple" irrigation values and regulators around where they are using recycled, non-potable water. So, we have a secondary water supply running through most of our city. We actually have some extremely clean water as far as standards go and I have also been drinking it since 1978. Tastes a lot better than some of the "earthy" waters I have had to brush my teeth with in my travels across the rest of the US!

Its not much different than rain run off from Farmlands and city streets going into the ground only to be pumped back out for use via someone's well.

What Southern Californians need to do is give up our plush Green lawns and replace them with Arizona style landscaping. After all, this was mostly desert here before civilization moved in.

#1886 6 years ago

Price was $3895. Maybe we should have charged $5K, it would have allowed us to make more of them.

There was no Chrome used. Stainless Steel.

1 month later
    #2055 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sure... always up for a chat. Knockout isn't on our "hit list" at the moment but I am looking for interesting additions...

I don't think Knockout is on anyone's Hit list!

#2060 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

File under “things I’m learning as an arcade manager”...
    Checklist: Install rapid-flip detector on all pins.
    Anyone caught flipping more than 50 times within three seconds will have .........

Ahh. Welcome to the world of "public" game operations! For 25 or 50 cents, they feel they "own" the game. For $1.00, it's theirs to destroy.

1 week later
    #2086 5 years ago

Okay, I now have to bring (or pay for) my shopping bags now. They have outlawed styrofoam in many areas in California (which keeps the drinks cold longer).

But leave me my plastic straws. I hate the feel of paper ones.

In our area, We recycle just about everything now. How 'bout the rest of the States catch up. I can't stand it when I travel and no one has even heard of NOT just tossing their plastic water bottles. I am sure just one bottle will make up for quite a few straws.

#2105 5 years ago

Playing is what helps keep an EM working. After your thorough overhauls, the only thing to expect are worn parts and high current contacts that will need "resurfacing", not just a pretty polish up. So, a contact file would be my tool of choice. The surface will already be compromised so a somewhat aggressive treatment is in order.

For wear, you will always be replacing phenolic links to remove slop. Smashed plungers for flippers and pop bumpers. And loose or broken coil stops on just about everything possible mech. And eventually, fresh sleeves.

So, I don't think you will need to worry about follow up manicures once you have done your Magic with the games.

1 month later
    #2152 5 years ago

Standard LEDs when used for GI are flashing 120 a second. This can cause a strobing effect as the ball crosses at high speed across the playfield. Some people's eyes see it more pronounced than others. And it depends on the amount of ambient light.

Non ghosting can greatly help but still may not eliminate it completely.

WPC power save or fading effects don't usually agree with standard LEDs.

3 months later
    #2218 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Update:
    My goal is to create a Disney-quality pinball attraction for Roanoke. A “majestic” experience which not only stimulates guests but leaves them with a lasting impression.

So, we should expect the "Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" someday?

Well, If not, at least get a Dole Whip machine!

1 week later
    #2231 5 years ago

Collecting bonus is not a thing you can "cleanly" do with the ball still rolling around on the playfield. You have to trap the ball, let the process occur, and then release the ball.

Otherwise, you have things like 500 points ect. Stepping in halfway through an active motor cycle. Knocking down targets that have already been scanned as "not down". ......

You could repurpose the 8 ball kick out hole.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games?tu=CactusJack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.