(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 48.
    #201 7 years ago

I like the 8220 because it has the most power for cutting steel if needed and the battery lasts forever. But it's overkill for basic duty.

I hate the Dremel website. Can never find what I need. Essentially if you go with the least expensive rotary cordless tool with a lithium-ion battery, you should be good. It should come with a basic supply of sanding attachments and extras. Also order a couple of #443 attachments and sanding flapwheels (can get a bag of like 30 of them from eBay for about $25).

I rarely clean posts. Most are yellowed to the point where I just replace with new. For the keepers I clean by hand with Novus 2. I do have an ultrasonic cleaner but haven't experimented with it yet.

Tumbler with walnut shells is excellent for metal parts... except acorn post nuts. The media will get trapped inside. Better to replace with new.

Evaporust legs in 4" capped PVC pipe with removable rubber cap. 4" will give you enough diameter to drop in a lockbar receiver too. You'll need about a gallon and a half. Just leave it in there all the time with rubber cap on tight.

Coin door hit with Brasso and steel wool, then buff. Optionally finish with Mother's Mag Polish (though Brasso often does it alone).

We can save Triple Thick backglass technique when I get there. Easy to do, but requires some care around score windows and flaking areas.

#202 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

... except acorn post nuts. The media will get trapped inside. Better to replace with new.

I use a buffer from HF. "Screw" the nut onto a post and buff away. I can get through 2-3 per minute and they shine like there is no tomorrow.

buffer (resized).jpgbuffer (resized).jpg

#203 7 years ago

It. Begins. Tomorrow.

Exhausted from TPF but no time to lose!

Camera tripod? Check.
    Parts? Check.
    Tools? Check.
    Appropriately sloganed t-shirts? Check.

Oooo speaking of which... if you want one of Ryan's tees, today is the last day to get one.

#204 7 years ago

Good luck, buddy! I'll catch up with you when you get to Pennsyltucky.

#205 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It. Begins. Tomorrow.
    Camera tripod? Check.
    Parts? Check.
    Tools? Check.
    Oooo speaking of which... if you want one of Ryan's tees, today is the last day to get one.

http://www.elephanteater.com/12440

...until midnight Eastern Time tonight. Placing the order tomorrow morning. Woo-hoo!!!

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It. Begins. Tomorrow.
    Camera tripod? Check.
    Parts? Check.
    Tools? Check.

Got my t-shirt ordered
    Good luck on the tour and looking forward to getting together in PA

#207 7 years ago

Yah! Only two months until you are Winnipeg bound!

#208 7 years ago

It's 12,000 miles back to Dallas, I've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of pinball parts, it's noon, and I'm wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

IMG_0149 (resized).JPGIMG_0149 (resized).JPG

#209 7 years ago

This trip brought to you by Hyundai and Commodore 64.

#210 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It's 12,000 miles back to Dallas, I've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of pinball parts, it's noon, and I'm wearing sunglasses.
    HIT IT!

Cool shirt Bro!

#211 7 years ago

Nick - Such a shame that isn't a Commodore Amiga shirt!

#212 7 years ago

Best of luck, and safe travels Nico!

#213 7 years ago

Also, can't wait for my T-shirt!

#214 7 years ago

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

#215 7 years ago

Visit #1 - Tony Macevicius (@Tmacev1) in Lindale, TX

IMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0153 (resized).JPG

The subject: Atlantis - 1975 by Gottlieb

IMG_0154 (resized).JPGIMG_0154 (resized).JPG

IMG_0150 (resized).JPGIMG_0150 (resized).JPG

After being welcomed by the house pup, Tony invited me into his soon-to-be game room with a custom screen print of the tour... what a surprise!

Atlantis is his first EM. He bought it for such a low price I dare not repeat the amount to make anyone feel bad. He had removed the score reels which were not resetting... and also discovered how fragile the ink can be after a light cleaning. Oops.

IMG_0157 (resized).JPGIMG_0157 (resized).JPG

IMG_0158 (resized).JPGIMG_0158 (resized).JPG

After a quick tutorial, I discovered a melted 10-point relay coil and luckily had a spare to replace it with. Then cleaned, rebuilt, and repaired the reels which had various problems with new vinyl numbers. Also adjusted and cleaned the locking start/reset relay.

IMG_0156 (resized).JPGIMG_0156 (resized).JPG

We then enjoyed a few games & had fun late into the night. I also demoed my "stealth LED" treatment which looked so good he decided to leave it that way.

IMG_0164 (resized).JPGIMG_0164 (resized).JPG

IMG_0165 (resized).JPGIMG_0165 (resized).JPG

IMG_0163 (resized).JPGIMG_0163 (resized).JPG

Tony is off to a great start and I predict many more EM's will be heading his way soon.

IMG_0162 (resized).JPGIMG_0162 (resized).JPG

And now... off to Memphis!

#216 7 years ago

Checking on the thread and the first reply is only 2 minutes old... Yesssssss...

Great job! Texas to Memphis is quite the leap. Be safe. How many hours drive is that anyways?

#217 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I discovered a melted 10-point relay coil and luckily had a spare to replace it with. Then cleaned, rebuilt, and repaired the reels which had various problems with new vinyl numbers. Also adjusted and cleaned the locking start/reset relay.

We then enjoyed a few games & had fun late into the night.

So cool. Hard to believe you're off to the second stop already. Go Nick!!!

Quoted from Otaku:

Checking on the thread and the first reply is only 2 minutes old... Yesssssss...
    Great job! Texas to Memphis is quite the leap. Be safe. How many hours drive is that anyways?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Lindale%2C+TX+to+memphis%2C+TN

#218 7 years ago

Visit #2 - David Yopp at The Retro in Millington, TN

The subject: Grand Prix - 1976 by Williams

Hidden within the walls of a large consignment and auction house on the outskirts of Memphis lies a wonderful secret... a retro pinball arcade!

IMG_0183 (resized).JPGIMG_0183 (resized).JPG

IMG_0200 (resized).JPGIMG_0200 (resized).JPG

You may not know David Yopp, but you will if you ever pass through here. He has been quite busy cranking away the days and nights to bring you the pinball joy.

IMG_0184 (resized).JPGIMG_0184 (resized).JPG

IMG_0178 (resized).JPGIMG_0178 (resized).JPG

His arcade, The Retro, runs on quarters just like the good old days. But it also features unique modern touches like fiber optic starfield ceiling lights, illuminated bartop tables w/pinball playfields inside, and an array of vertical screens which allow onlookers to watch others play from the comfort of their barstools. Perfect for tournaments!

IMG_0199 (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (resized).JPG

IMG_0192 (resized).JPGIMG_0192 (resized).JPG

Grand Prix had a few issues to attend to. The right kickout was intermittent, ball count wasn't always advancing, and neither of the bonus ladders were counting up or down correctly.

IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPG

We spent the evening adjusting and cleaning switches and rebuilding the bonus steppers which were almost completely seized up. It was David's first time to completely disassemble a stepper mech and he did an A+ job.

IMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPG

IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPG

After which, we played 2-out-of-3 on his game of choice: Butterfly - 1977 by Sonic. I won... and am now 2-0 on the tour. Who's next?

IMG_0202 (resized).JPGIMG_0202 (resized).JPG

Be sure to stop by The Retro if you're in the area... and ask David to play his custom classic rock playlist while you're there. Perfect vibe.

IMG_0221 (resized).JPGIMG_0221 (resized).JPG

https://www.facebook.com/theretropinballarcade

Next stop -> Cordova, TN

#219 7 years ago

new favorite thread!

David >> if you are on Pinside... I would love a thread detailing the live tv action so people can see other play!

#220 7 years ago

The Retro is hosting a tournament this Friday. I'll shoot some 60fps video.

#221 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

new favorite thread!
    David >> if you are on Pinside... I would love a thread detailing the live tv action so people can see other play!

I am on pinside! I've still got plenty to do to get the rest of my machines restored and in the arcade but I'll see what I can do to set up a live cam on twitch at some point.

#222 7 years ago

Very cool thread. I will be following! you should stop by Cleveland, I have EM arcades I am always working on!

#223 7 years ago

Great thread!

#224 7 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

I am on pinside! I've still got plenty to do to get the rest of my machines restored and in the arcade but I'll see what I can do to set up a live cam on twitch at some point.

thanks.

I was hoping more for the details on equipment and setup on what you are running. I have thought it would be cool to try and do something similar at one of our locations. Any info and documentation/ lessons learned would be great!

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks.
    I was hoping more for the details on equipment and setup on what you are running. I have thought it would be cool to try and do something similar at one of our locations. Any info and documentation/ lessons learned would be great!

Well unfortunately they have discontinued making the cameras I used for this setup. The nice thing about these particular cameras is that they were small form factor and had optical zoom and focus. I built 10 rigs when I first decided to do this setup, and when I went to buy more cams for more rigs, no joy! Apparently the SDI format of the original cams is on the wane, but fear not! I just received a different format cam in the mail yesterday and a conversion box for the newer format to hdmi signal to display the image on the tv. It also includes optical zoom and focus, but unfortunately the camera is a good bit bulkier than my original cams so I won't be able to hide it in a box like I did the first design. On the up side, the new camera comes in its own protective housing so that may not be an issue. Still have testing to do to see if it will all meet my needs for more cameras and screens at "The Retro!"

#226 7 years ago

Nice shot of the Grand Prix bonus stepper. They are unique in that they can count up and down in single steps but also be instantly zeroed for game start up (that third relay coil armature).

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

Well unfortunately they have discontinued making the cameras I used for this setup. The nice thing about these particular cameras is that they were small form factor and had optical zoom and focus. I built 10 rigs when I first decided to do this setup, and when I went to buy more cams for more rigs, no joy! Apparently the SDI format of the original cams is on the wane, but fear not! I just received a different format cam in the mail yesterday and a conversion box for the newer format to hdmi signal to display the image on the tv. It also includes optical zoom and focus, but unfortunately the camera is a good bit bulkier than my original cams so I won't be able to hide it in a box like I did the first design. On the up side, the new camera comes in its own protective housing so that may not be an issue. Still have testing to do to see if it will all meet my needs for more cameras and screens at "The Retro!"

keep us posted and would love to see a thread with details if you find the time!

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Nice shot of the Grand Prix bonus stepper. They are unique in that they can count up and down in single steps but also be instantly zeroed for game start up (that third relay coil armature).

Very interesting, especially the last point. Speed matters it seemed, racing pun not intended.

#229 7 years ago

Nic: I'm loving the tour updates. These are so great to keep up with. I know that's not easy to do on the road (in the midst of driving, fixing, socializing, and hopefully sleeping), so thanks for continuing to post.

David: So good to see your arcade coming together!!! It looks incredible. Especially, this...

189505a66c6dcd6dd9b13d5e8d698d18ad6a67f2 (resized).jpg189505a66c6dcd6dd9b13d5e8d698d18ad6a67f2 (resized).jpg

Wow wow wow! Quite an amazing sight. Which made me think...

Quoted from NicoVolta:

It was David's first time to completely disassemble a stepper mech

...this was a suspicious statement. Haha! Surely with all the work I've seen you post you've dug into an E.M. enough to do some stepper work? Regardless, keep up the amazing work. I hope to visit one day!

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nic: I'm loving the tour updates. These are so great to keep up with. I know that's not easy to do on the road (in the midst of driving, fixing, socializing, and hopefully sleeping), so thanks for continuing to post.
    David: So good to see your arcade coming together!!! It looks incredible. Especially, this...

Wow wow wow! Quite an amazing sight. Which made me think...

...this was a suspicious statement. Haha! Surely with all the work I've seen you post you've dug into an E.M. enough to do some stepper work? Regardless, keep up the amazing work. I hope to visit one day!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan

I had never taken one fully apart! Crazy, right? But now I'm confident I could field strip one like nobody's business and get it all back together and it still function properly. The visit from NicoVolta was of great help! What a super nice guy and an informative visit.
    Yopp

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

keep us posted and would love to see a thread with details if you find the time!

I got my new camera equipment in last night and tested it and it's going to work well. In fact the image quality is even a little tighter than with the first cams I used.

I'll try to throw together a video of the build and put it up on YouTube, but it will be a minute. Have a lot going on at the arcade and a Vector I'm currently restoring.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

They are unique in that they can count up and down in single steps but also be instantly zeroed for game start up (that third relay coil armature).

I like the Bally ones that can step up/down and just pulse both coils to zero over this design (simpler).

Congrats to Nico for the great start! Looks like a lot of fun already.

#233 7 years ago

Nic,

I never gave it much thought until looking at your post today but once you get to PA if you need to restock on some used EM parts I have plenty of stuff around. I'll be set up at the indoor flea market at the Allentown show but will not have many parts with me their. If there is specific stuff you need once you get to PA just touch base with me and I'll see if I can help you out.

#234 7 years ago

OK, so we're meeting folks and fixing games... but where in the samhill is this thing headed?

I present to you: Region 1 (of 5) - Southeast Bound

region 1 (resized).jpgregion 1 (resized).jpg

#235 7 years ago

Take beach pictures in Florida!

#236 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Take beach pictures in Florida!

Oh, you can add one more item to your list of bests: Biggest BUGs you encountered.

#237 7 years ago

I love the updates and the pictures. Keep them coming and have a safe trip!

On a side note, I wish you were doing the central PA part. I have a Bally Safari that could use a little attention.

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It. Begins. Tomorrow.
    Camera tripod? Check.
    Parts? Check.
    Tools? Check.

Hey Nick, it was really cool to meet you at TPF! Had fun playing your EM'S with you and chatting. I'm following your journey but can't wait until the next leg of your journey... Hopefully we can meet up and fix my dreaded OXO.

#239 7 years ago

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but is the road trip headed to the Los Angeles area?

#240 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#241 7 years ago

I could put you up for a night and have a few ems that could be tweaked. I didn't know at the time, but I played a game with you on freedom at tpf, I was in the wheelchair. I'm north of Chicago

#242 7 years ago

Very awesome to meet you at TPF Nic. Your games looked and played great!

So cool you are doing this, the community is lucky to have you!

#243 7 years ago

A LEGEND... making a huge impact on pinball, man. Keep it up!

#244 7 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I could put you up for a night and have a few ems that could be tweaked. I didn't know at the time, but I played a game with you on freedom at tpf, I was in the wheelchair. I'm north of Chicago

Good luck with that. I think he's got this trip timed out to the second at this point.

And btw...we haven't heard from Nic since he left Tennessee. I'm starting to get visions of Deliverance in my head.

#245 7 years ago

Today I'm in the middle of Visit #3 (a four-day stop), but we had enough time to break away for tournament night at The Retro. I used the opportunity to upload two videos at 60fps.

Have a look... excellent frame rate for capturing pinball action!

Here are the final standings...

IMG_0231 (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (resized).JPG

#246 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Today I'm in the middle of Visit #3 (a four-day stop), but we had enough time to break away for tournament night at The Retro. I used the opportunity to upload two videos at 60fps.
    Have a look... excellent frame rate for capturing pinball action!
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video
    Here are the final standings...

Dude! You got to meet the caveman from the Geico ads? I'm so jealous!

#247 7 years ago

So at this point, for those keeping score at home, Nic is undefeated.

#248 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dude! You got to meet the caveman from the Geico ads? I'm so jealous!

LOL

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/5?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.