(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 48.
    #2301 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

FYI... I will be doing a live stream in the Facebook group: Em Pinball this evening at 9pm EST. Just covering the basics of the "magic brush" and rebuilding relays.

joined , *looking forward to viewing bump*

#2302 4 years ago

I’ve got it saved for posterity, but soon I will post an improved version with upgraded lighting and edits. Overall it was a decent introduction to the process... but there is still a lot to learn in terms of getting the touch knowledge drilled in! As well as finicky things like interlock relays, double-stack relays, etc.

Also forgot to mention: Pitted contacts. If the surface of the contact is gnarly, you’ll need to smooth it out with a little sanding/polishing.

#2303 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’ve got it saved for posterity, but I’m going to do a better version with improved lighting soon. Overall it was a decent introduction to the process... but there is still a lot to learn in terms of getting the touch knowledge drilled in! As well as finicky things like interlock relays, double-stack relays, etc.

I thought it was pretty good Nic, I had never sat in on a live facebook event before. Look forward to your next one!

#2304 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’ve got it saved for posterity, but soon I will post an improved version with upgraded lighting and edits. Overall it was a decent introduction to the process... but there is still a lot to learn in terms of getting the touch knowledge drilled in! As well as finicky things like interlock relays, double-stack relays, etc.
    Also forgot to mention: Pitted contacts. If the surface of the contact is gnarly, you’ll need to smooth it out with a little sanding/polishing.

That was a great effort there Nic. Concise and well done. Hopefully, next time your Production Assistant will provide the set with a larger piece of paper and some tape.

#2305 4 years ago

When is Pinball School at the Museum??

#2306 4 years ago

I enjoyed your broadcast Nick. You seem to be a natural in front of/behind the the camera!

#2307 4 years ago

Thanks all! It's probably due to my father being a celebrity DJ back in the day... some of it rubbed off (pictured at center). KVIL was huge until the mid/late 90's in Dallas.

KVIL poster (resized).jpgKVIL poster (resized).jpg

BTW, also forgot to remind everyone to tug every solder joint. *facepalm*

Another video shall ensue, but not for a while. I'm tired. Like, so tired I slept through getting my roof replaced today... no joke.

Pinball school is running behind schedule, but it will happen. Just... gotta... do... more....

#2308 4 years ago

It was a great to watch, picked up a few more tips,

Like pushing the metal actuator plate as opposed to the plastic switch ladder to compensate for wear.

Switch biasing

50/50 split adjusting so all contacts in the stack actuate simultaneously

I thought I heard a slight chuckle when I said "You were the Bob Ross of pinball" in the chat room which was pretty cool as well

Thanks again: chas

#2309 4 years ago

Great watch and learned a lot, funny that one of the switches had no wires attached

#2310 4 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

It was a great to watch, picked up a few more tips,
    Like pushing the metal actuator plate as opposed to the plastic switch ladder to compensate for wear.
    Switch biasing
    50/50 split adjusting so all contacts in the stack actuate simultaneously
    I thought I heard a slight chuckle when I said "You were the Bob Ross of pinball" in the chat room which was pretty cool as well
    Thanks again: chas

LOL yes tried the Bob Ross mellow voice for a bit. Was TOO mellow. I'll continue to build up the PINBALL... RADIO... VOICE... SPECTACULARRR!

I hadn't mentioned the 50/50 rule before. Hard to explain without seeing a video, but now you got it! Halfway to touch, the other half to push.

All switches changing state at the same time. Push the metal plate in s s l l o o w w m o t i o n to check if they are all marching to the same beat.

Quoted from astyy:

Great watch and learned a lot, funny that one of the switches had no wires attached

Yes, this is common especially on Bally games. Perhaps the design and final revision changed after the parts were ordered? You'll see empty ones on Bally motor switch stacks too.

#2311 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yes, this is common especially on Bally games. Perhaps the design and final revision changed after the parts were ordered? You'll see empty ones on Bally motor switch stacks too.

That's just Bally saving some money on assembly. Same motor/relay configuration used on multiple games. The empty switches are populated on other games, but the assembly didn't need to change from game to game. Savings (in people time for assembly) outweighed the expense of the extra switches.

#2312 4 years ago

Nic,

Are you going to put this up on your YouTube channel?

I'm not on Facebook and would lie to check it out.

2 weeks later
    1 month later
    #2314 4 years ago

Well hey! It’s Dave Brennan, sporting a Gottlieb t-shirt! He stopped by the museum this Labor Day to say hello and see our offerings... and left convinced that he needs to add a Bally Skyrocket to his collection.

I’m sorry, Dave. Didn’t mean to do that to you...

0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    #2315 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

left convinced that he needs to add a Bally Skyrocket to his collection.
    I’m sorry, (insert name here). Didn’t mean to do that to you... [quoted image]

I see a pattern here...

#2316 4 years ago

How is the PHOL and BnB coming along,
    Got all your pins situated upstairs yet?

#2317 4 years ago

Still cranking away on redoing insulation. Then flooring. Lots to do... yeesh!

#2318 4 years ago

I do not envy you.
    We just bought a new home here in Salem (downsize home).
    There will not be as much room for pins as Sq footage is about half of current home.
    It will be a long transition moving into the new home (possibly many months).
    We are now tearing out the carpeting upstairs to reveal hard wood floors,
    but unfortunately they are in terrible terrible shape
    (someone purposely deeply gouged, scratched and scraped in many places, along with numerous paint spills)
    Not sure that sanding down and refinishing them will save them. Worst case we just recarpet.
    After that Deb wants to remodel Kitchen and main bathroom to bring them back to original 1920s era styling,
    with vintage/retro appliances and fixtures.
    I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing.

#2319 4 years ago

Still waiting for that visit! Ill even break a game or two just for you

1 week later
    #2320 4 years ago

And some of us are still hoping -- preferably enough in advance to plan well for it -- to hear of a return visit to SoCal. One of these days . . . ?

#2321 4 years ago

I'll be back. Probably not until 2020 though. Still cranking away like mad over here, hence the lack of updates. But once everything is ready, there will be a tsunami of new content. Buckle up.

Bow & Arrow still giving you troubles?

#2322 4 years ago

Yes, and in a fairly mystifying manner. At this point it gives a credit for nothing: not on Replays, not on Specials, and not on a Match. Sometimes the credits just stand pat, but more often they still go backwards, deducting a credit ! Sometimes there is still the "ker-thunk" replay sound, but often not. Weird. My local 'Go To' tech has been stumped. (But I've recently met a few others new to my acquaintance who put in some hours on the tech squad over @ Banning, so perhaps some leads there. Still, for the most part they are not EM guys . . . .)

I've gone over suggestions posted here on Pinside. (Have to reiterate that the game was working correctly for about the first 6 months that I owned it, although that was a fair while ago. However, this probably puts to rest the 'coil-is-installed-backwards' or polarity type ideas.) I'm thinking that something needs to be disassembled, thoroughly and properly treated, and then put back together right. It is definitely beyond me, and may even require the attention of a maestro like yourself. And I doubt there are very many of those around.

#2323 4 years ago

I wonder if the wires to the credit step-up and step-down coils were accidentally swapped... possible?

#2324 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I wonder if the wires to the credit step-up and step-down coils were accidentally swapped... possible?

Thanks.
    I'll look into that, but it does not account for that initial period when it was working properly, nor for the intermittent aspects of this. No real work has been done on the game in the interim, either.

I don't suppose my manually turning the credits wheel from time to time to add credits could have been a contributing factor here ?

1 week later
    #2325 4 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

I don't suppose my manually turning the credits wheel from time to time to add credits could have been a contributing factor here ?

Hard to say, but possible if it bent any of the switches on the backside from overturning.

#2326 4 years ago

Do you know Ken Gerling? Well, he sure knows his Bally classics! I just bought Dolly Parton for the Roanoke Pinball Museum (since we are a couple hours up the road from Dollywood).

Ken is in Maryland just east of DC. If you’re within driving distance and looking for a classic Bally... keep your eyes peeled for one of his listings on Facebook Marketplace!

BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpegBEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg

#2327 4 years ago

Did u manage to pickup that EK too Nick? I know u have been wanting one.

#2328 4 years ago

It was obvious I wasn't going to get it once he gestured in its direction, "and these will be the last to go if I ever sell them..."

All in good time.

2 months later
    #2329 4 years ago

Even though I stay busy running the Roanoke Pinball Museum nowadays, I occasionally make time to travel across the USA. This year? A Christmas surprise in Kansas City!

E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpegE7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg

Tony and Dennis are the hosts of the Eclectic Gamers Podcast... a really fun podcast about pinball, video games, and tabletop games. Dennis and I kept the secret for months and caught Tony completely by surprise. This is his first-ever pinball machine which was also on his “grail list”.

82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg

Merry Christmas y’all and three cheers to 2020!

#2330 4 years ago

Happy 2020 to y'all! Another busy-as-hell year in the can. Coming up this year: I'm developing a new pinball entertainment concept, a "world's-first" museum display, and rolling out new collaborations to take us to the next level.

When you find your marathon stride in life, nothing to do but run for the finish. 2020 -> The Adventure Continues!

"May your many projects become playable this season..."

pinballpeople (resized).jpgpinballpeople (resized).jpg

#2331 4 years ago

Anyone that can make the journey would do well to visit Roanoke Pinball Museum this year if you love good playing machines.

2 weeks later
    #2332 4 years ago

I recently managed to visit the Roanoke Pinball Museum and the Pinball Hall of Fame in the same week. Life is Good. Both places were very busy. Nice to see so many people enjoying pinball. You weren’t there that day Nick (Glad to hear you got a break). I put some serious play on your Bally Skyrocket. That thing is fun to play and in great shape.

#2333 4 years ago

Aw man... sorry I missed ya. But if I don't take a break once in a while, I won't be able to keep up the momentum! That's what makes Skyrocket and the others I've been able to rebuild so reliable and fun.

Still got more coming down the pipeline, so come back in the future to see 'em!

#2334 4 years ago

Is it possible to link the Museum with local accommodations? Of course it would be ideal to be able walk everywhere. Sorry if this has already been covered.

#2335 4 years ago

The Hampton in downtown Roanoke is next door. That would be my first choice.

Also, for a more historic experience, the Hotel Roanoke is a grand place to stay. Easy walk across an enclosed bridge and down the block.

#2336 4 years ago

I'm going to try that stay & play, will give you a heads up prior.

#2337 4 years ago

Having fun today... new game show concept blowing the roof off.

tiltpic (resized).jpgtiltpic (resized).jpg

#2338 4 years ago

Nick
    How is the plan of turning your new home purchase into a B&B going?
    I guess you might get some visitors that may also want to stay a few nights there
    as well as visit the Museum.

#2339 4 years ago

Very well. Still finishing out the attic, but it will be glorious. GLORIOUS.

New upstairs HVAC going in this Wednesday.

1 month later
    #2340 4 years ago

Hey folks... just doing a cut n’ paste from another live video. Holed up like most of you & fixing the games. Stay safe & distant!

“Rollover reliability check”

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515859252011820/permalink/2535181213412947/

#2341 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hey folks... just doing a cut n’ paste from another live video. Holed up like most of you & fixing the games. Stay safe & distant!
    “Rollover reliability check”
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515859252011820/permalink/2535181213412947/

Seriously awesome video!! I know you mentioned that some of the info was remedial for some who might be watching... but I definitely learned a bit. PLEASE do many more of these.

#2342 4 years ago

Hi Nic,

Sent you a PM a couple weeks back -- some of it overtaken and outdated by events, some of it not.
    Hope you are managing O.K. where you're at. Periodic status reports and news of more videos like this are great, particularly for those of us not on FB.

#2343 4 years ago

Nic
    Wondering when/if you closed down the Roanoke Museum?

#2344 4 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Hi Nic,
    Sent you a PM a couple weeks back -- some of it overtaken and outdated by events, some of it not.
    Hope you are managing O.K. where you're at. Periodic status reports and news of more videos like this are great, particularly for those of us not on FB.

Got it & will reply when I can. Lots going on as you might imagine... but hangin' tough.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Nic
    Wondering when/if you closed down the Roanoke Museum?

Yes we closed the museum 11 days ago. Currently in the process of "rebuilding everything"... making good progress.

#2345 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Got it & will reply when I can. Lots going on as you might imagine... but hangin' tough.

Yes we closed the museum 11 days ago. Currently in the process of "rebuilding everything"... making good progress.

I suspect many will be finding time for long held "To Do List" items that they never previously managed to find the time to pursue. (I know I have.) Meanwhile, it's gonna be brutal on a lot of sectors like the restaurant industry and their staff -- particularly those restaurants whose business model does not lend itself well to trying to survive via takeout biz alone. The bailout measures probably won't be sufficient to keep them going. Here we are very much bound by the official list of what are deemed "essential businesses." Even 25 % of certain bank's branches were closed, for how long remains unclear -- in that case a decision by management rather than government. But a lot more stores or businesses seem to be closed than are open. I see that plenty of liquor stores remain open, which is a bit curious. And here or there you might see some "scofflaw" places still open, at least until such time as the authorities may lean on them.

#2346 4 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

I see that plenty of liquor stores remain open, which is a bit curious.

Don't want to de-rail the thread, but I’ll chime in on this one because I was wondering this same thing the other day. I saw that almost all States had declared liquor stores to be essential businesses. One exception was that Colorado governor originally declared liquor and marijuana stores to be non-essential when their shutdown was announced. This lasted only about 5 hours after his original declaration where he then did a 180 and switched them both to the essential list. In reading, I believe this was primarily due to feedback from physicians who indicated that they had no capacity to deal with an influx of detox patients during a time when COVID would be stressing the healthcare system enough. Makes sense I guess when put that way.

#2347 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Don't want to de-rail the thread, but I’ll chime in on this one because I was wondering this same thing the other day. I saw that almost all States had declared liquor stores to be essential businesses.

As they should be.

#2348 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

marijuana stores to be non-essential when their shutdown was announced

Booze you detox
    Pot, no such thing,
    but bet he got call from state treasurer
    stating that large tax income would be lost with closing pot shops.

OK derail over.
    NIC
    bet this virus thing has put your pinball bed & breakfast project
    on hold for a while. too bad.

ooopps that is a kind of derail in itself.

#2349 4 years ago

Actually, for now, the downtime has been a bit of a blessing. Me and my part-time tech have been rebuilding our fleet like crazy. Making huge progress with no interruptions.

As far as the Magical Pinball House goes, that’s also moving along steadily. Well past the halfway point now, so hey, maybe by December it’ll be ready? Just don’t know if the world will, however.

4 months later
    #2350 3 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Actually, for now, the downtime has been a bit of a blessing. Me and my part-time tech have been rebuilding our fleet like crazy. Making huge progress with no interruptions.
    As far as the Magical Pinball House goes, that’s also moving along steadily. Well past the halfway point now, so hey, maybe by December it’ll be ready? Just don’t know if the world will, however.

Hi Nic,

If and when you can comment, a question (category) for both the museum and personal perspective.
    What are your definitions and reflections on Player vs. Collector grade pins ? We've gained some insight into the mechanical work you do on the games, but what of the cosmetic end and its relative priority ? In that regard, how good is "good enough" ? Obviously, if a pf is getting worn down and needs protection from further damage, that is one thing. But where to draw the line ? For example, on my various visits to the Banning museum, where I've tended to spend a good portion of my time in the back section with the EMs, I've noticed that a number of the classic games are gradually getting worse, cosmetically. Clearly, with so many games to monitor and service in that large collection, the mechanical issues are much more apt to get the attention.

One of a number of things we talked about when you were here was the clearcoating of playfields. I still think this would only be in consideration if there was a shop doing this that deserved one's full confidence, and I still don't think that I would send a game out of state or any great distance to have this done.

As another part of this, I'm wondering if you ever perfected your preferred process for backglass sealing that you were looking into ?

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/47?hl=eagle18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.