(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 48.
    #2251 5 years ago

Precisely why I have a multicade and SuperChexx in addition to the 4 pins (and counting)...

#2252 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
    today’s tidbit: The ten (roughly) most popular games according to the public in our collection at Roanoke Pinball Museum...
    Guitar Hero
    Cheap digital slide-puck game
    Arcade multicade (Ms. Pac/Galaga)
    Iron Maiden
    Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
    Metallica
    Slugfest
    Ghostbusters
    Funhouse
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Popular runners-up:
    Haunted House
    Kiss ‘78
    Getaway: High Speed 2
    Banzai Run
    Fan-Tas-Tic
    Klondike
    Space Mission
    Captain Fantastic
    Black Knight
    Yes, that’s right, our top three games are not pinball machines. What do they all have in common? Simple thrills.
    Pinball is a game of concentration and skill. Not everyone who goes out for a night on the town wants to exert that level of mental exercise. I’d wager the general pulse of today’s audiences are a bit overstimulated compared with the 80’s.
    < snip >

Not terribly surprised at this, and point taken.

Haunted House is hard to beat for sheer novelty value. I'd still like very much to learn how to succeed at it . . . . (Black Hole also, to a lesser extent -- but I don't recall seeing that one among the RPM holdings.)

8BD has some rather challenging shots -- which I don't get tired of attempting to make, though most often failing at it -- coupled with not much in the way of complex rules. So it seems more of a physical effort than a mental concentration one -- at least to me. My appreciation of that pin has steadily increased over time. FH is more accessible along those lines as well. Players need not be "deep in" to enjoy it, and on a casual level.

#2253 5 years ago

Gottlieb’s Sheriff just arrived on the museum floor, ready for duty.

Meanwhile, Sheriff Aimee is making the rounds to ensure all of the pieces are in good working order!

B4235018-7378-4A12-BDC8-5A9A31031A5D (resized).jpegB4235018-7378-4A12-BDC8-5A9A31031A5D (resized).jpeg

#2254 5 years ago

Where are the handcuffs?

#2255 5 years ago

She looks Fan-Tas-Tic to me!

#2256 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Where are the handcuffs?

Was going to ask the same thing.........

#2257 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

She looks Fan-Tas-Tic to me!

Beat me to that one Pecos ! LOL

I'd love to play that 'sheriff'!

#2258 5 years ago

Quote from Cheech & Chong: "She can bust me anytime!"

#2259 5 years ago

One of the best things about the Roanoke Pinball Museum is its walkable proximity to so many downtown amenities (and a lovely downtown at that!). Deschutes Brewing on one corner, and now Three Notch’d on the other... hoo boy. Terribly enabling!

Tonight’s flight: Pomegranate gose, English brown, American golden, and Irish red. Wonderful time to be alive. *hic*

75520222-F62F-4C7E-B667-1CFB871D423D (resized).jpeg75520222-F62F-4C7E-B667-1CFB871D423D (resized).jpeg

#2260 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

One of the best things about the Roanoke Pinball Museum is its walkable proximity to so many downtown amenities (and a lovely downtown at that!). Deschutes Brewing on one corner, and now Three Notch’d on the other... hoo boy. Terribly enabling!
    Tonight’s flight: Pomegranate gose, English brown, American golden, and Irish red. Wonderful time to be alive. *hic*
    [quoted image]

PLEASE: No driving after. Or crossing the street while totally absorbed in that cell phone !

1 week later
    #2261 5 years ago

Another beer selfie @ Three Notch’d! Three cheers for voting! Enjoying a $10 lunch special today... they really make it a little too easy.

71B71D63-4224-4D2B-AE29-F3F90879AE6C (resized).jpeg71B71D63-4224-4D2B-AE29-F3F90879AE6C (resized).jpeg

001AED23-93D5-48B6-B360-C2C0E54DE761 (resized).jpeg001AED23-93D5-48B6-B360-C2C0E54DE761 (resized).jpeg

#2262 5 years ago

What?!? No Fries or tots.
    You need more fried foods in your diet
    you are way too thin!!

Maybe compromise with more beer!!

#2263 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Enjoying a $10 lunch special today.

WOW! $10 for all that is a deal, the restaurant next to my work gets $12 just for the burger.

I'll have to hit that place when I come down to visit.

1 week later
    #2264 5 years ago

EM stealth LEDs times 2.

Fast Blinking LEDs (resized).pngFast Blinking LEDs (resized).png

I put fast blinking LEDs behind 'OXO.' If you don't have the faster blinking #455 GE lamps, these are a good substitute. They look much better than the slow blinking #455 incandescent lamps that we are offered up these days.

DSCF4049 (resized).JPGDSCF4049 (resized).JPG

Super-Flite kept blowing #47 incandescents so I tried 1 SMD frosted LEDs in each of the pop bumpers. They look awesome with these marbelized Williams pop bumper caps. Don't bother trying to put them in 'normal' white pop bumper caps. They look horrible - completely overpower the incandescents.

I put colored #47 incandescent lamps in the GI. Why? Because this is OXO and I wanted to try something special for a special pinball.

All LEDs from Comet.

#2265 5 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

WOW! $10 for all that is a deal, the restaurant next to my work gets $12 just for the burger.
    I'll have to hit that place when I come down to visit.

Yeah, but I suspect that may be a v***ie burger! Gosh, I hate that stupid word!

#2266 5 years ago

poor EM's can't even escape the colorshitfest LED storm.

#2268 5 years ago

Good call on the veggie burger, but BTW the $10 deal includes animal carcass options too.

#2269 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

poor EM's can't even escape the colorshitfest LED storm.

Umm, those aren't colored LEDs! Those are colored incandescents. There is no replacement for a filament that you can see, at least in my book.

#2270 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Good call on the veggie burge

Damm Joe, you were right!

Can't say I ever tried one; I'd go for a fish sandwich first.

#2271 5 years ago

Cointaker used to make a fantastic warm white SMD with lower brightness but the last batch I tried was too greenish/blue. *sigh*

Pops are the weakest link in the stealth LED recipe. Just haven’t found a perfect option yet. But the rest is dynamite!

BTW I am here now (3Notch’d). Nachos (only $6) and a small beer flight. They really make it a little too easy...

EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpegEADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

#2272 5 years ago

Nic,

Might have to review which Comet bulbs you like if they are doing the black Friday special again this year.

#2273 5 years ago

1SMD frosted warm white non-ghosting (inserts, pops, anywhere the lights turn on/off) and Twin 2835 frosted warm white for always-on locations.

You could use the 1SMD’s everywhere, but they are more expensive.

Also use frosted red ones under red star rollovers (and double-light them with an extra lamp socket).

#2274 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Umm, those aren't colored LEDs! Those are colored incandescents. There is no replacement for a filament that you can see, at least in my book.

still changes it to monochromatic, which will destroy the look of your art package, plus make it damn near impossible to see and play in lower light conditions. If you like to look at your game from a distance like a xmas tree, and see the pretty colored lights. then it's practical. but if you have to walk up close to it, then it's a complete nightmare. LED or not. it's not about LED, it's about the color. Warm white or sunlight is your friend here. LED or regular.

3 weeks later
    #2275 5 years ago

Dropped off my little donation to Tim at the PHOF today. Can’t do Vegas without a stop here.

We’re working overtime to keep the Silverball Empire Flag flying. Visibility is survival!

08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #2276 5 years ago

Forgot to wish you a Merry Xmas Nic
    Anyway have a happy New Year
    from the both of us
    Tom&Deb
    Any new years resolutions?

#2277 5 years ago

Thanks & Merry Christmas T&D (and the rest of you lurkers).

Vegas was a blast. Didn’t win any jackpots, but nevertheless enjoyed two Italian meals at Battista’s Hole In The Wall, watched the new “Brilliant!” show at the Neon Museum, and did a comedy hypnosis show for the sheer cheese of it.

Lots going on at the ol’ museum. Including a pretty big tweak to the recipe... will divulge soon.

2 weeks later
    #2278 5 years ago

Happy 2019, tour-chasers! It's a new year, and that means a new direction for this thread: More techniques, less travel!

As you know, since last March, I've settled into Roanoke and fully committed to making RPM the best museum in the region.

Don't mistake the silence of this thread with a lack of activity. Quite the opposite: I've been working my fingers to the bone! My techniques are evolving faster than I have time to write about. But I plan to resume doing this ASAP. Need to post a Tour Techniques update v.2 sometime this year to sum it all up.

The debut of "pinball school" in Roanoke is coming up sometime this year. Will have opportunities for real hands-on experience, unique class examples, and of course pinball and beer. Tons of breweries around here. *hic* cheers to a great year!

#2279 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Happy 2019, tour-chasers! It's a new year, and that means a new direction for this thread: More techniques, less travel!
    As you know, since last March, I've settled into Roanoke and fully committed to making RPM the best museum in the region.
    Don't mistake the silence of this thread with a lack of activity. Quite the opposite: I've been working my fingers to the bone! My techniques are evolving faster than I have time to write about. But I plan to resume doing this ASAP. Need to post a Tour Techniques update v.2 sometime this year to sum it all up.
    The debut of "pinball school" in Roanoke is coming up sometime this year. Will have opportunities for real hands-on experience, unique class examples, and of course pinball and beer. Tons of breweries around here. *hic* cheers to a great year!

I’m definitely in for pinball school!

#2280 5 years ago

I'm ready for school.. let's do this

1 month later
    #2281 5 years ago

Hey you! Think I’m all done with making house calls? Think again!

Weather is 70 and lovely in the ‘Noke, so I stopped by to ease another machine back into service. It’s always a thrill to get a machine going again, especially after a decade or two of sitting and having the local experts shake their heads and give up. NEVER!!!

This Bally Kick-Off wasn’t stepping up the players correctly, because the player step-up coil wasn’t activating, because the game over interlock was tripping prematurely, because the reset relay was firing too often, because a switch on the player step-up unit was incorrectly configured.

EM’s are so cool. Looking forward to creating many more experts this year when Roanoke Pinball School gets rolling. But then, who will need me anymore? :p

519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg

#2282 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hey you! Think I’m all done with making house calls? Think again!
    . . .
    Looking forward to creating many more experts this year when Roanoke Pinball School gets rolling. But then, who will need me anymore? :p
    [quoted image]

Well, I definitely could use a re-visit. For starters, there are these mysterious, lingering issues with the Bow & Arrow that no one has been able to figure out, so far. Fortunately, these seem to be secondary rather than primary issues. The game remains playable. But I have to think that if anyone will be able to vanquish these anomalies, it is apt to be YOU !

#2283 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Well, I definitely could use a re-visit. For starters, there are these mysterious, lingering issues with the Bow &amp; Arrow that no one has been able to figure out, so far. Fortunately, these seem to be secondary rather than primary issues. The game remains playable. But I have to think that if anyone will be able to vanquish these anomalies, it is apt to be YOU !

Next trip out west, I'll be glad to make an extended loop and get those gremlins banished!

#2284 5 years ago

Any idea when school will be in session?

#2286 5 years ago

I'll be ready to go for that ride

#2287 5 years ago

Also... you heard it here first...

NPBNB

Tales from the tour, made real.

But first, we do school. Then, the vision is realized.

And this is enough for now.

TPF AHOY!

#2288 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Also... you heard it here first...
    NPBNB

Nic's Pinball Bed and Breakfast?

#2289 5 years ago

Looking forward to your report on TPF.

2 weeks later
    #2290 5 years ago

Truckin’ like Jack Burton hauling pins to the ‘Noke... but not too busy to stop by Keith’s casa for a fourplex of fixes. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM! Ah, if only we had more time for the rest.

30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg

TPF was yet another exhausting thrill ride. Picked up a trio of games for the museum and was very pleased to see my fellow VECTORIANS win first place ribbons in Best 60’s and Best Custom!

#2291 5 years ago

Aaaaaah…. Nic is 'on the road again'!

#2292 5 years ago

Sorry I missed you at TPF Nic. I spent quite a bit of time hanging out with the EM guys there but unfortunately our paths didn't cross. Any plans on coming out for the Northwest Pinball show?

#2293 5 years ago

I don’t know if I’ll have time to get to NWPAS this year. Closing on a house which will become an epic pinball hall of leisure.

D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpegD197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg

We did Bavarian Grill on Friday at 1:30pm with some TPF’sters. Perfect time to break away for lunch... IT SHALL BECOME AN ANNUAL THING!

Pictured with Eric of Titan Pinball and Derek of Epic Beard:

B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpegB353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg

7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg

Bavarian Grill. TPF 2020, Friday, 1:30pm. It’ll be here before you know it...

#2294 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I don’t know if I’ll have time to get to NWPAS this year. Closing on a house which will become an epic pinball hall of leisure.
    [quoted image]
    We did Bavarian Grill on Friday at 1:30pm with some TPF’sters. Perfect time to break away for lunch... IT SHALL BECOME AN ANNUAL THING!
    Pictured with Eric of Titan Pinball and Derek of Epic Beard:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Bavarian Grill. TPF 2020, Friday, 1:30pm. It’ll be here before you know it...

Looks like a good one ! And nary a Vegan in sight . . . ?

#2295 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Closing on a house

Actually putting down some roots.
    Hopefully with the housing market slight slump,
    you got a decent deal.

1 week later
    #2296 4 years ago

Ok... ENOUGH MEETINGS! It’s time to get back to basics. Hi-Deal has been sitting idle on the floor for too long. Time to get it rolling again.

5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg

Ahhhhh... the motherboard. My favorite part of an EM rebuild. No janky flippers or drop targets or endless score reels. Just switch after meditative switch...

BTW, the Pinball House Of Leisure (PHOL) is almost a certainty now. Better still? Only a six minute walk to the best happy hour in town!

CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpegCA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg

$3 for a draft beer (ANY!), or wine (ANY!), or cocktail (!!??), or appetizers... many very good ones. And this is EVERY DAY. Also only $8 for the main Indian buffet.

“This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...”

#2297 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

the Pinball House Of Leisure (PHOL) is almost a certainty now.

Once it is a lock, we loved to see pics inside and out, even before the pins arrive.

3 months later
    #2298 4 years ago

FYI... I will be doing a live stream in the Facebook group: Em Pinball this evening at 9pm EST. Just covering the basics of the "magic brush" and rebuilding relays.

#2299 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

FYI... I will be doing a live stream in the Facebook group: Em Pinball this evening at 9pm EST. Just covering the basics of the "magic brush" and rebuilding relays.

Will this be archived for viewing later?

#2300 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Will this be archived for viewing later?

It’s facebook... I can find out what the third cousin of my neighbors dentist had for breakfast 3 years ago... so I’m guessing it’s going to be archived.

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.