"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,280 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by jasonp
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,903 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF4049 (resized).JPG
    Fast Blinking LEDs (resized).png
    001AED23-93D5-48B6-B360-C2C0E54DE761 (resized).jpeg
    71B71D63-4224-4D2B-AE29-F3F90879AE6C (resized).jpeg
    75520222-F62F-4C7E-B667-1CFB871D423D (resized).jpeg
    B4235018-7378-4A12-BDC8-5A9A31031A5D (resized).jpeg
    F76B4F0C-5AD4-465E-B54B-5D2C8E664E65 (resized).jpeg
    1423157F-DE9B-4A5B-98DE-3717555497B3 (resized).jpeg
    20181012_141055 (resized).jpg
    dogs8 (resized).jpg
    dogs7 (resized).jpg
    dogs6 (resized).jpg
    dogs5 (resized).jpg
    dogs4 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 2280 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 46.
    #2251 4 months ago

Precisely why I have a multicade and SuperChexx in addition to the 4 pins (and counting)...

#2252 4 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
    today’s tidbit: The ten (roughly) most popular games according to the public in our collection at Roanoke Pinball Museum...
    Guitar Hero
    Cheap digital slide-puck game
    Arcade multicade (Ms. Pac/Galaga)
    Iron Maiden
    Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
    Metallica
    Slugfest
    Ghostbusters
    Funhouse
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Popular runners-up:
    Haunted House
    Kiss ‘78
    Getaway: High Speed 2
    Banzai Run
    Fan-Tas-Tic
    Klondike
    Space Mission
    Captain Fantastic
    Black Knight
    Yes, that’s right, our top three games are not pinball machines. What do they all have in common? Simple thrills.
    Pinball is a game of concentration and skill. Not everyone who goes out for a night on the town wants to exert that level of mental exercise. I’d wager the general pulse of today’s audiences are a bit overstimulated compared with the 80’s.
    < snip >

Not terribly surprised at this, and point taken.

Haunted House is hard to beat for sheer novelty value. I'd still like very much to learn how to succeed at it . . . . (Black Hole also, to a lesser extent -- but I don't recall seeing that one among the RPM holdings.)

8BD has some rather challenging shots -- which I don't get tired of attempting to make, though most often failing at it -- coupled with not much in the way of complex rules. So it seems more of a physical effort than a mental concentration one -- at least to me. My appreciation of that pin has steadily increased over time. FH is more accessible along those lines as well. Players need not be "deep in" to enjoy it, and on a casual level.

#2253 3 months ago

Gottlieb’s Sheriff just arrived on the museum floor, ready for duty.

Meanwhile, Sheriff Aimee is making the rounds to ensure all of the pieces are in good working order!

B4235018-7378-4A12-BDC8-5A9A31031A5D (resized).jpeg

#2254 3 months ago

Where are the handcuffs?

#2255 3 months ago

She looks Fan-Tas-Tic to me!

#2256 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Where are the handcuffs?

Was going to ask the same thing.........

#2257 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

She looks Fan-Tas-Tic to me!

Beat me to that one pecos ! LOL

I'd love to play that 'sheriff'!

#2258 3 months ago

Quote from Cheech & Chong: "She can bust me anytime!"

#2259 3 months ago

One of the best things about the Roanoke Pinball Museum is its walkable proximity to so many downtown amenities (and a lovely downtown at that!). Deschutes Brewing on one corner, and now Three Notch’d on the other... hoo boy. Terribly enabling!

Tonight’s flight: Pomegranate gose, English brown, American golden, and Irish red. Wonderful time to be alive. *hic*

75520222-F62F-4C7E-B667-1CFB871D423D (resized).jpeg

#2260 3 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

One of the best things about the Roanoke Pinball Museum is its walkable proximity to so many downtown amenities (and a lovely downtown at that!). Deschutes Brewing on one corner, and now Three Notch’d on the other... hoo boy. Terribly enabling!
    Tonight’s flight: Pomegranate gose, English brown, American golden, and Irish red. Wonderful time to be alive. *hic*
    [quoted image]

PLEASE: No driving after. Or crossing the street while totally absorbed in that cell phone !

1 week later
    #2261 3 months ago

Another beer selfie @ Three Notch’d! Three cheers for voting! Enjoying a $10 lunch special today... they really make it a little too easy.

71B71D63-4224-4D2B-AE29-F3F90879AE6C (resized).jpeg

001AED23-93D5-48B6-B360-C2C0E54DE761 (resized).jpeg

#2262 3 months ago

What?!? No Fries or tots.
    You need more fried foods in your diet
    you are way too thin!!

Maybe compromise with more beer!!

#2263 3 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Enjoying a $10 lunch special today.

WOW! $10 for all that is a deal, the restaurant next to my work gets $12 just for the burger.

I'll have to hit that place when I come down to visit.

1 week later
    #2264 3 months ago

EM stealth LEDs times 2.

Fast Blinking LEDs (resized).png

I put fast blinking LEDs behind 'OXO.' If you don't have the faster blinking #455 GE lamps, these are a good substitute. They look much better than the slow blinking #455 incandescent lamps that we are offered up these days.

DSCF4049 (resized).JPG

Super-Flite kept blowing #47 incandescents so I tried 1 SMD frosted LEDs in each of the pop bumpers. They look awesome with these marbelized Williams pop bumper caps. Don't bother trying to put them in 'normal' white pop bumper caps. They look horrible - completely overpower the incandescents.

I put colored #47 incandescent lamps in the GI. Why? Because this is OXO and I wanted to try something special for a special pinball.

All LEDs from Comet.

#2265 3 months ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

WOW! $10 for all that is a deal, the restaurant next to my work gets $12 just for the burger.
    I'll have to hit that place when I come down to visit.

Yeah, but I suspect that may be a v***ie burger! Gosh, I hate that stupid word!

#2266 3 months ago

poor EM's can't even escape the colorshitfest LED storm.

#2268 3 months ago

Good call on the veggie burger, but BTW the $10 deal includes animal carcass options too.

#2269 3 months ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

poor EM's can't even escape the colorshitfest LED storm.

Umm, those aren't colored LEDs! Those are colored incandescents. There is no replacement for a filament that you can see, at least in my book.

#2270 3 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Good call on the veggie burge

Damm Joe, you were right!

Can't say I ever tried one; I'd go for a fish sandwich first.

#2271 3 months ago

Cointaker used to make a fantastic warm white SMD with lower brightness but the last batch I tried was too greenish/blue. *sigh*

Pops are the weakest link in the stealth LED recipe. Just haven’t found a perfect option yet. But the rest is dynamite!

BTW I am here now (3Notch’d). Nachos (only $6) and a small beer flight. They really make it a little too easy...

EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

#2272 3 months ago

Nic,

Might have to review which Comet bulbs you like if they are doing the black Friday special again this year.

#2273 3 months ago

1SMD frosted warm white non-ghosting (inserts, pops, anywhere the lights turn on/off) and Twin 2835 frosted warm white for always-on locations.

You could use the 1SMD’s everywhere, but they are more expensive.

Also use frosted red ones under red star rollovers (and double-light them with an extra lamp socket).

#2274 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Umm, those aren't colored LEDs! Those are colored incandescents. There is no replacement for a filament that you can see, at least in my book.

still changes it to monochromatic, which will destroy the look of your art package, plus make it damn near impossible to see and play in lower light conditions. If you like to look at your game from a distance like a xmas tree, and see the pretty colored lights. then it's practical. but if you have to walk up close to it, then it's a complete nightmare. LED or not. it's not about LED, it's about the color. Warm white or sunlight is your friend here. LED or regular.

3 weeks later
    #2275 71 days ago

Dropped off my little donation to Tim at the PHOF today. Can’t do Vegas without a stop here.

We’re working overtime to keep the Silverball Empire Flag flying. Visibility is survival!

08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #2276 57 days ago

Forgot to wish you a Merry Xmas Nic
    Anyway have a happy New Year
    from the both of us
    Tom&Deb
    Any new years resolutions?

#2277 57 days ago

Thanks & Merry Christmas T&D (and the rest of you lurkers).

Vegas was a blast. Didn’t win any jackpots, but nevertheless enjoyed two Italian meals at Battista’s Hole In The Wall, watched the new “Brilliant!” show at the Neon Museum, and did a comedy hypnosis show for the sheer cheese of it.

Lots going on at the ol’ museum. Including a pretty big tweak to the recipe... will divulge soon.

2 weeks later
    #2278 38 days ago

Happy 2019, tour-chasers! It's a new year, and that means a new direction for this thread: More techniques, less travel!

As you know, since last March, I've settled into Roanoke and fully committed to making RPM the best museum in the region.

Don't mistake the silence of this thread with a lack of activity. Quite the opposite: I've been working my fingers to the bone! My techniques are evolving faster than I have time to write about. But I plan to resume doing this ASAP. Need to post a Tour Techniques update v.2 sometime this year to sum it all up.

The debut of "pinball school" in Roanoke is coming up sometime this year. Will have opportunities for real hands-on experience, unique class examples, and of course pinball and beer. Tons of breweries around here. *hic* cheers to a great year!

#2279 35 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Happy 2019, tour-chasers! It's a new year, and that means a new direction for this thread: More techniques, less travel!
    As you know, since last March, I've settled into Roanoke and fully committed to making RPM the best museum in the region.
    Don't mistake the silence of this thread with a lack of activity. Quite the opposite: I've been working my fingers to the bone! My techniques are evolving faster than I have time to write about. But I plan to resume doing this ASAP. Need to post a Tour Techniques update v.2 sometime this year to sum it all up.
    The debut of "pinball school" in Roanoke is coming up sometime this year. Will have opportunities for real hands-on experience, unique class examples, and of course pinball and beer. Tons of breweries around here. *hic* cheers to a great year!

I’m definitely in for pinball school!

#2280 35 days ago

I'm ready for school.. let's do this

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.50
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 149.00
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 244.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 2280 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 46.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside