(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 48.
    #2101 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

A very good question indeed. I've seen what can happen when a perfection-minded person gets overworked. Tim Arnold comes to mind. He is still pulling 80+ hours a week after many years at the PHOF. I have no idea how he does it. Tons of games and not many people to help him... yet somehow he keeps on slogging it out, year after year. I don't think most people realize the extremes to which he has gone. It's not healthy.
    Arcade Expo has even more games and more volunteers than PHOF. Yet it will take many more years for the EM's to be fully functional if that is a priority... there are just so many!
    Roanoke Pinball Museum is about 30% of the PHOF in terms of size (if you factor out the crane games, drink machines, ball bowler, etc). However, our facility is in a very nice venue at the epicenter of the downtown main square. Walkable, pretty, and surrounded by restaurants and bars. Which positions it a little differently from a stand-alone arcade in a strip mall or remote location.
    As such, my goal is quality and experience, not quantity. We're not competing with Dave & Buster's. This is a curated, museum-y experience. My goal is to rebuild and bulletproof everything... 100% lamps and functions working and playing as well as possible, for as long as possible. All of the games need to be excellent.
    For now, I'm extinguishing the major issues. A lot of work remains. But the size of the museum is manageable and that's the main thing. Gut feeling tells me I'll be able to fulfill my ambitions... and that gets me up early and staying late every day.
    Also, it's cool when peeps from the tour/Pinside/community stop by to say hello, like this fella today (James Hudson)!

I also gotta add that the approach you advocate, the tear down-clean-polish-rebuild, of all components on an EM will help the overall long-term playability and reliability of the games you've restored. I watched you teach this approach to many eager EM enthusiasts across North America, and my opinion on this approach for noobs has evolved over the years. I used to say on RGP in the early days of my involvement in the hobby what alot of folks say - only fix the things that are broke, because you could cause more problems going through everything. It's funny to me that I advocated this, since I never did that myself - every EM I've ever done I've torn it all apart, and rebuilt it. So why did I think other noobs should do it differently? Good question...probably human fallibility...but no matter!! I was always a bit skeptical of that conventional wisdom, like alot of conventional "wisdom", and Nick has helped me fully dismiss it.

So I no longer believe this advice...it seems like it makes sense, and maybe it does in some cases, but overall I think it's better to go Nico's route. If you break some things adjusting others...so be it! Your hobby is fixing old pinball machines, isn't it?? So go fix what you just broke! It only adds more experience...

And in Nick's case, or really anyone maintaining a large number of games, if you've done your due diligence in the shop when you had that game all torn apart, the nagging problem are smaller projects than they would be if you hadn't. I generally have 8-12 EMs in my working lineup(with 4-6 on "location"(friend's houses)), and the things I need to do to all those games at any given time is minor. Bulb sockets are what I spend most of my time on actually...so I really understand Nick's desire to create a 100% operational fleet...even the bulbs. IMO he's got the right approach, and a good foundation to actually achieve that...or as close as anyone can get. )

Sean

#2102 5 years ago

Thanks Stoo. The only looming question I have is this... how long will a full rebuild last? I guess I am about to find out.

Once rebuilt, I'd like to find a non-destructive tool (no sanding/filing) which can do exactly what the magic brush does, but without having to take tight Gottlieb relays apart and such. Basically a way to hit all of the contacts on an already-perfected machine in place. Like doing a routine tooth cleaning... buzz buzz buzz done.

"Why don't you just file/sand all the contacts like the old techs did for years?"

Because grinding metal to clean it leaves a rough surface, debris, and frankly just isn't awesome enough.

#2103 5 years ago

Pressure washer!

#2104 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Once rebuilt, I'd like to find a non-destructive tool (no sanding/filing) which can do exactly what the magic brush does, but without having to take tight Gottlieb relays apart and such. Basically a way to hit all of the contacts on an already-perfected machine in place. Like doing a routine tooth cleaning... buzz buzz buzz done.

I've had luck with an old toothbrush and optionally a spritz of mineral spirits (which I keep in an old spray bottle - very handy). Hold the toothbrush handle perpendicular to the leaves of the switches and slide or roll the brush across the contacts. You can clean several switches at a time that way. You may not be able to get to all the switch contacts (like on some smaller, double switch stack relays) but it works fine on many switches and even score motor switches. I wonder if there's a similar brush available with longer bristles for the double stack relays?

/Mark

#2105 5 years ago

Playing is what helps keep an EM working. After your thorough overhauls, the only thing to expect are worn parts and high current contacts that will need "resurfacing", not just a pretty polish up. So, a contact file would be my tool of choice. The surface will already be compromised so a somewhat aggressive treatment is in order.

For wear, you will always be replacing phenolic links to remove slop. Smashed plungers for flippers and pop bumpers. And loose or broken coil stops on just about everything possible mech. And eventually, fresh sleeves.

So, I don't think you will need to worry about follow up manicures once you have done your Magic with the games.

#2106 5 years ago

Good to hear that! Doing a rebuild isn't merely for cleaning, it's a process... a 50-year detailed overhaul and inspection for everything in the chain. Can't find loose contacts, cold solder joints, or worn relay latches when breezing through everything with sandpaper. A "full rebuild" resets everything back to its optimal default condition... or perhaps even better than new in some cases.

Pretty sure once every 50 years will do.

Quoted from CactusJack:

After your thorough overhauls, the only thing to expect are worn parts and high current contacts that will need "resurfacing", not just a pretty polish up. So, a contact file would be my tool of choice. The surface will already be compromised so a somewhat aggressive treatment is in order.

I use the sanding flapwheel for smoothing out pitted contacts, followed by the 443 to polish. I just can't leave anything not smooth... polishing is strangely addictive...

#2107 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I use the sanding flapwheel for smoothing out pitted contacts, followed by the 443 to polish. I just can't leave anything not smooth... polishing is strangely addictive...

Am curious to know if you will be doing that for a quick fix to a low flipper power issue or pops not firing on all cylinders once you have things really rolling there.

Not disparaging your technique, but am curious of long-term viability of sanding those contacts (paper or non) since you will eventually have to replace those switches anyway.

Sounds like you're not taking shortcuts (who would've suspected you would?) and will be very pleased to come play the museum's games when I get over to that side of the state.

#2108 5 years ago

Already am. Rebuilding all of the pops and flippers anyway... so what's another step?

#2109 5 years ago

Sure - I meant when the contacts become pitted in the future as CJ was saying.

#2110 5 years ago

Yep... will dremel-wheel & polish when the time comes. It's just what I do now. Pure muscle memory.

#2111 5 years ago

Can't wait for your EM class at Pinfest next week Nic!

#2112 5 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Can't wait for your EM class at Pinfest next week Nic!

I'm sure an impromptu session will pop up somewhere on the floor like last year...

#2113 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Lots of area trying to ban plastic drinking straws, probably 50,000,000 used per day. Even getting those out of peoples hands will be a small help

Heard a report that these were about to be banned in the U.K. (or was it just in England ?), along with Q-Tips and some other things. The latter would have some implications for EM work, no ? Well, let's get practical here ! And what are we supposed to use instead ? Small tree branches ? (Ouch !)

#2114 5 years ago

I think that only applies to q-tips with plastic segments. I concur! Let's stop making them... what's wrong with paper?

A few restaurants around here are no longer serving drinks with straws by default. “Upon request” only. Seems reasonable to me.

#2115 5 years ago

OK, back to pinball stuff...

Trivia fact: Did you know Norm Clark originally wanted a color spinning wheel behind the fountain on Magic City? Williams management said it was too expensive... so we got plain white bulbs instead.

A good opportunity for color-changing LED’s! It’s what Norm would have wanted...

magic (resized).jpgmagic (resized).jpg

#2116 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

A good opportunity for color-changing LED’s! It’s what Norm would have wanted...

I actually spoke to Norm about this at Expo one year, and he was vehemently against any LEDs in pinball machines. **

#2117 5 years ago

How odd... they're all LED'ed nowadays, and look pretty awesome for it. I wonder why he wouldn't want his game to look more like the thing he designed in the first place vs. the budget-cut colorless version?

Got any more info? Or are ya just pulling my leg, Mr. ** Portions of this statement may have been partially or fully fabricated.

Really wish Norm was still with us to comment further. If he was a bulb-grouch, the "stealth LED" approach and products like LED OCD do much to bridge the old/new appearance gap. Seems odd for such an experimentation-friendly designer to be an absolutist about lighting methods.

I can say the games of his which have been outfitted with the stealth treatment get played more often. So, there's that.

#2118 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Thanks Stoo. The only looming question I have is this... how long will a full rebuild last? I guess I am about to find out.
    "Why don't you just file/sand all the contacts like the old techs did for years?"
    Because grinding metal to clean it leaves a rough surface, debris, and frankly just isn't awesome enough.

For the really deep contacts this method is pretty good as you can absorb oxidation off the contacts from the side, or just spray it off:

#2119 5 years ago

spinal wrote: "Can't wait to check out PHOF. Can anyone comment on maintenance quality there?"

I've been going there ever since a year or so into their *original* location near those old cinemas, prior to the relocation to the current site much closer to the strip -- but usually only twice a year. I can recall when only about 1/3 of what was out on the floor was in really good playing condition. I think this has improved over the years, and the ratio became notably better . . . but they still tend to get overwhelmed, compared to the work that must constantly be done.

I always went there with a notepad, taking notes on any problems encountered, and turning this over to the staff. Over time, as I gradually gained more technical and descriptive understanding, such notes became much more specific. Officially speaking, the notes were welcomed as being helpful, but that could depend on *who* was receiving the notes. On occasion, you were simply the bearer of bad news -- about as welcome as some poison ivy.

Quoted from PinballFever:

I see Tim working hard on maintenance. With that many games it's not easy for sure. Their Royal Guard and Apollo played like new and were the best EMs there that I had a chance to play. I only played half of them before leaving for good to get some food.
    BTW, be sure to bring plenty of food and drink if you plan to stay a long time unless you're fine with leaving and driving somewhere else to get some food and drink then going back.

I've observed that hard work every time also.

There happens to be a British pub ("Crown & Anchor" ?), I think within a couple blocks of PHOF. It has been there for many years, fwiw. I kept intending to check it out, but never got around to doing that. Such fare tends to be rather basic, but generally reliable. It takes some effort (or bad luck) to find a place where they will mess up a fish 'n chips !

#2120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

spinal wrote: "Can't wait to check out PHOF. Can anyone comment on maintenance quality there?"
    I've been going there ever since a year or so into their *original* location near those old cinemas, prior to the relocation to the current site much closer to the strip -- but usually only twice a year. I can recall when only about 1/3 of what was out on the floor was in really good playing condition. I think this has improved over the years, and the ratio became notably better . . . but they still tend to get overwhelmed, compared to the work that must constantly be done.
    I always went there with a notepad, taking notes on any problems encountered, and turning this over to the staff. Over time, as I gradually gained more technical and descriptive understanding, such notes became much more specific. Officially speaking, the notes were welcomed as being helpful, but that could depend on *who* was receiving the notes. On occasion, you were simply the bearer of bad news -- about as welcome as some poison ivy.

I've observed that hard work every time also.
    There happens to be a British pub ("Crown & Anchor" ?), I think within a couple blocks of PHOF. It has been there for many years, fwiw. I kept intending to check it out, but never got around to doing that. Such fare tends to be rather basic, but generally reliable. It takes some effort (or bad luck) to find a place where they will mess up a fish 'n chips !

been there, its ok for a lunch or casual dinner, open 24/7:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45963-d445530-Reviews-Crown_Anchor_Pub-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

#2121 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

How odd... they're all LED'ed nowadays, and look pretty awesome for it. I wonder why he wouldn't want his game to look more like the thing he designed in the first place vs. the budget-cut colorless version?
    Got any more info? Or are ya just pulling my leg, Mr. ** Portions of this statement may have been partially or fully fabricated.
    Really wish Norm was still with us to comment further. If he was a bulb-grouch, the "stealth LED" approach and products like LED OCD do much to bridge the old/new appearance gap. Seems odd for such an experimentation-friendly designer to be an absolutist about lighting methods.
    I can say the games of his which have been outfitted with the stealth treatment get played more often. So, there's that.

I have never been a big LED fan but this mod to Magic City seems to be the perfect application. Making it look as it was originally intended is pretty cool. If I had one I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#2122 5 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

I was with friends that aren't as into the pinballs as I am. They enjoyed playing the games but didn't want to go back once we left to get some food. PHOF needs a food truck or something where you can eat and continue playing until time to go.

#2123 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I think that only applies to q-tips with plastic segments. I concur! Let's stop making them... what's wrong with paper?
    A few restaurants around here are no longer serving drinks with straws by default. “Upon request” only. Seems reasonable to me.

I am not drinking from plastic beakers washed in any restaurant. Gotta have a straw! hygiene is our own responsibility.

#2124 5 years ago

Never liked straws or used straws and glad to see them banned.
    If you’re worried about hygiene/food safety then you shouldn’t eat in restaurants, particularly buffets.

#2125 5 years ago
    Quoted from beadwindow:

Never liked straws or used straws and glad to see them banned.
    If you’re worried about hygiene/food safety then you shouldn’t eat in restaurants, particularly buffets.

Or use a door handle...
    Or handle paper money...

Or...

Just sayin'

#2126 5 years ago

true, although eating is a little more of a direct route into the body than handling something.

1 week later
    #2127 5 years ago

With the wrapup of Allentown Pinfest, it's mega-selfie-with-friends time!

IMG_5495 (resized).JPGIMG_5495 (resized).JPG

Aimee presents the trailer with her trademark enthusiasm as we begin to unload. Then hit the Farmer's Market for a foodie detour... ahhhh... so awesome!

IMG_5493 (resized).JPGIMG_5493 (resized).JPG

Hey hey it's Chuck ckcsm wearing a familiar slogan! He brought an Abra-Ca-Dabra and has begun to experiment with clearing playfields. And so it begins...

IMG_5494 (resized).JPGIMG_5494 (resized).JPG

Another tour-alum found us at the trailer: Paul Iamneo from NJ. Just bought a new house but keeping the pins thank goodness.

IMG_5497 (resized).JPGIMG_5497 (resized).JPG

Ryan WeatherbyMAG was THRILLED to pick up two Tridents from us. We're always happy to oblige.

IMG_5491 (resized).JPGIMG_5491 (resized).JPG

We used the cash toward a nice CFTBL from Matt @knockerlover, who immediately spun around on his heels to do another deal. Allentown is truly the Wall Street of pinball... deals come and go like lightning and cash is king!

IMG_5499 (resized).JPGIMG_5499 (resized).JPG

Hey, who dat? None other than Bruce ZNET who bought that very nice fully restored Expressway for the bargain price of $1300. Some very nice deals to be had out there in EM-land if you look for them.

IMG_5539 (resized).JPGIMG_5539 (resized).JPG

Met a new Pinsider - Joe alexmogil who stopped to say thanks for the tour. "The instructional videos are coming, I swear!"

IMG_5560 (resized).JPGIMG_5560 (resized).JPG

Heard of @colsond3? Of course you have. Was nice to meet him in person, and his gravelly-voice was a perfect match for his Bally Vampire in VERY nice condition with perfectly powdercoated trim and legs. Everyone wanted to buy it... "sorry, not for sale".

One guy started fanning out 100's on the glass. After $3200 he was like "eff this!", grabbed the Benjamins, and walked off in a huff. I wouldn't have sold it for that either!

IMG_5561 (resized).JPGIMG_5561 (resized).JPG

Curious onlookers examine the deliciousness of this Vampire... and hey... wait a moment... isn't that...

IMG_5540 (resized).JPGIMG_5540 (resized).JPG

Yo George @justagefehler! Did you buy anything this time? Of course you did. At $800, this Viking was an absolute steal. They almost never show up, and certainly not in this condition. Just look at that glass!

IMG_5562 (resized).JPGIMG_5562 (resized).JPG

George being George, two others were also bought: Gold Rush and Magic Circle. Gotta love those Ballys.

IMG_5569 (resized).JPGIMG_5569 (resized).JPG

Nearby, songofsixpence replaced the electronics in his Gottlieb Torch with a Raspberry Pi-based custom build. Awesome job man! Make that sign bigger next time... you deserve the props!

IMG_5564 (resized).JPGIMG_5564 (resized).JPG

Speaking of custom builds, I finally ran into none other than Nicholas Baldridge bingopodcast standing in front of his Multi-Bingo contraption. It was... well... how can one describe the splendor of a "multicade bingo system with hybrid mechanical aspects which perfectly mirror the originals?". Breathtaking.

IMG_5565 (resized).JPGIMG_5565 (resized).JPG

Seriously, awe-inspiringly impressive work here. I'm not typically a fan of bingo machines, but this... this... I want one for the museum. It perfectly preserves the game and is a true "best of both worlds" effort that is totally unique in its class. I sincerely hope a commercial/mass-produced version will be made someday to preserve the game for future generations. It's just too good not to share.

Well done, Sir Baldridge. Clearly, we have more to discuss...

IMG_E5537 (resized).JPGIMG_E5537 (resized).JPG

Ed of the Barenaked Ladies is a huge pinball nut. Couldn’t resist pranking him... “I love that song you guys did... ‘hey now, you’re a rock star, get your game on’”

His reply: “You know, we were first in line to do Shrek, but didn’t think it was going to be a hit because Dreamworks wasn’t doing so well... so we passed on it. Now everytime I hear that song I am reminded of the deal that got away... so F*** YOU NIC!!!”

LOL all in good fun. Ed bought the Seawitch I was considering for the museum. Gotta be quick on the draw at Allentown... you never know who’s buying!

IMG_5505 (resized).JPGIMG_5505 (resized).JPG

"Before the bust" at the Ramada afterparty with Chad djreddog and a Stern STARS in the background. Some folks brought in beer which upset the bartender and she called the police... and they were like "nothing we can do except can we play pinball?". Ha! Party resumed in a hotel room. Doesn't look like Ramada is going to get any pinballers next year.

IMG_5504 (resized).JPGIMG_5504 (resized).JPG

Taylor TaylorVA of This Flippin’ Podcast and Clark Clytor of the Richmond Pinball Collective give us the victory photobomb, so of course we obliged.

IMG_5502 (resized).JPGIMG_5502 (resized).JPG

Also stopped by the bar for some serious pinball geek-talk with Justin N80G80 (far right) and Kevin La4s (Whirlwind tee). We bought Justin’s Addams Family a couple of months ago & it now resides at the Roanoke Pinball Museum. Guests love it!

IMG_5506 (resized).JPGIMG_5506 (resized).JPG

A Getaway at the hotel looked great! Never seen this marquee mod before (Lighted Pinball Mods). Looks like it was coupled with a ColorDMD.

IMG_E5500 (resized).JPGIMG_E5500 (resized).JPG

Finally, on the way out spotted Mark Carvey TheRave of Flip Side Bar in Westerly, RI. Always great to see so many Pinsiders in one place.

Next trips: ReplayFX and York! But in the meantime I'm off to ship my EM's back to the museum... another trek...

#2128 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Speaking of custom builds, I finally ran into none other than Nicholas Baldridge bingopodcast standing in front of his Multi-Bingo contraption. It was... well... how can one describe the splendor of a "multicade bingo system with hybrid mechanical aspects which perfectly mirror the originals?". Breathtaking.

Seriously, awe-inspiringly impressive work here. I'm not typically a fan of bingo machines, but this... this... I want one for the museum. It perfectly preserves the game and is a true "best of both worlds" effort that is totally unique in its class. I sincerely hope a commercial/mass-produced version will be made someday to preserve the game for future generations. It's just too good not to share.

Well done, Sir Baldridge. Clearly, we have more to discuss..

Thank you for your kind words, Nic. It was a pleasure to finally meet (especially now that we are neighbors - only had to drive to Allentown to do it!). I also look forward to more chats. Don't spend all those replays in one place.

#2129 5 years ago

Nic it was an absolute pleasure. Thanks for all you do!

1 week later
    #2130 5 years ago

pensive (resized).jpgpensive (resized).jpg

Heya kids. Back in rainy Roanoke after a weekend hauling games to/from Allentown, to/from storage in Texas, to/from my new condo, to/from the pinball museum, then to/from the new storage unit.

The big moves are done. Time to stop redlining 24/7.

Today... feeling content to watch passing pedestrians while dipping nan into chicken tikka masala. Got four of my prettiest EM’s on the floor*, a great team, a great museum, and a vision of success that just won’t quit. So let’s slow down a bit... and eat... as the raindrops fill manhole covers with gentle reflective rings.

*Games on the floor: Snow Derby (TPF best 70's EM), Skyrocket (TPF best runner-up 70's EM), Surf Side (TPF best original EM), Out Of Sight.

BTW, we've got a huge Memorial Day weekend planned. C'mon by if you'll be in the neighborhood.

May 24th -> Rooftop Riot party (live music, drinks, pinball until 11pm)

May 25th -> Get Tilted pinball party (free food, cash bar, pinball until midnight)

May 26th -> Get Tilted pinball party (doin' it again!)

#2131 5 years ago

Glad you have that behind you. That had to be a crapload of work.

So how did the move go? More work than you expected or less? What made it efficient/effective? How many games? All in one truck? Did you rent a big truck one way and drive it yourself?

I ask because I feel like it will happen for me one day. And moving the games will take the most of my personal time because I WILL NOT trust it to anyone else.

#2132 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Glad you have that behind you. That had to be a crapload of work.

So how did the move go?

It really sucked. Primarily because I combined a regular move with a pinball move... doubling the amount of stops and planning required. Then it rained. Then my unloading crew quit on me. Then the booking service went down while trying to find another crew.

I’m VERY tired. It’ll take several days to get back to normal... while continuing to get moved in. And working like mad, per the usual.

I have not worked this hard at anything else, ever.

Quoted from MikeO:

More work than you expected or less?

More, because Ryder doesn’t do one-way moves and they’re the only rental company that I know of with a liftgate. Running those games up and down a ramp gets tiresome.

Always wear grippy sneakers.

Quoted from MikeO:

What made it efficient/effective?

Having other people there to assist... though I had to load all of the games myself.

Quoted from MikeO:

How many games?

10, plus furniture, TV, boxes, etc.

Quoted from MikeO:

All in one truck?

One 16’ truck. The 26’ would have been a whole different (and far more terrifying) ordeal.

Quoted from MikeO:

Did you rent a big truck one way and drive it yourself?

Yep... and I can give two pieces of advice:

1) Always buy the additional insurance for long-haul trips. I did not.

2) Go very slowly over uneven pavement, railroad tracks, entering/exiting gas stations, etc. Even a tiny bit of road height/curb can bottom you out when fully loaded.

I could easily get 12 games inside a 16’ truck... and certainly more if I had a better method for packing them in. But I prefer double-strapping the bodies and heads to the sides of the truck only. All of my furniture was blanketed and placed down the unoccupied middle portion. Worked well.

I still have about 18 games back in Texas. Not looking forward to repeating what I just did.

#2133 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I have not worked this hard at anything else, ever.

I can certainly sympathize.
    Just before Deb and I moved to Scotland for a year about 6 years ago;
    we had to move about 100 games from the commercial space I was leasing
    (as my workshop/auxiliary gameroom) and put the pins into a 20x40ft self storage unit
    across town. We did have a lift gate to assist, it took 3 days and about 10 trips.
    We did it all ourselves, but we were dead to the world for about a week after
    and probably took 3 years off our lives.

0b827b4acf9e8debc1260ac8de17c4d68a5b4683 (resized).jpg0b827b4acf9e8debc1260ac8de17c4d68a5b4683 (resized).jpg
    n_a (resized).jpgn_a (resized).jpg

We did it again, when I retired and we moved from California to Oregon,
    We (all by ourselves) moved the equivalent of 3 households, plus about 35 pins
    in 3 trips in 26ft trucks, this time without the aid of any lift gates.
    Took another 5 years off our lives.

#2134 5 years ago

Suddenly... I don’t feel quite as bad. Whew! That’s truly nuts! Perhaps we’re all crazy.

#2135 5 years ago

Perhaps?

#2136 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I can certainly sympathize.
    Just before Deb and I moved to Scotland for a year about 6 years ago;
    we had to move about 100 games from the commercial space I was leasing
    (as my workshop/auxiliary gameroom) and put the pins into a 20x40ft self storage unit
    across town. We did have a lift gate to assist, it took 3 days and about 10 trips.
    We did it all ourselves, but we were dead to the world for about a week after
    and probably took 3 years off our lives.

We did it again, when I retired and we moved from California to Oregon,
    We (all by ourselves) moved the equivalent of 3 households, plus about 35 pins
    in 3 trips in 26ft trucks, this time without the aid of any lift gates.
    Took another 5 years off our lives.

Sweet picture of those EM's! With what you have now I guess moving again is out of the question.

#2137 5 years ago

I had the pleasure of stopping by the Roanoke Pinball Museum on Thursday with my family. I can't say enough about how great it was to meet Nic and play the great games they had. My wife and kids had a blast playing the games with World Cup Soccer and Jokerz being my wife's favourites (it looks like we are on the hunt to purchase one of these games for our future game room, along with another game for the kids). We were there for hours and I still didn't get to play all the games I wanted to. It looks like a return trip to the museum is in order if I pass through Virginia again.

Nic and the staff were amazing to talk to and it was a great pleasure meeting Aimee as well. I would like to thank Nic for taking the time for our conversation and the pinball repair tips, which will definitely come in handy for me. You would never know Nic had been working so hard over the past months and was exhausted as he was all smiles and had an obvious passion for the games. The EM games from his personal collection are absolutely amazing and were worth the price of admission alone.

On a side note, I also wanted to mention how nice Virginia was, specifically the downtown area where the museum is located. We stayed at the beautiful Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center, and it was a very nice hotel that I would definitely recommend, and it was only a two minute walk from the museum.

Thanks again Nic, I think you have converted my entire family into pinball fans.

Dave

#2138 5 years ago

Thank you Dave for stopping in for pinball n’ great conversation! You guys were awesome and I’m truly glad y’all (a word also used around these parts) had a good time.

Roanoke is a pretty town which attracts a lot of tourists. I’m working like crazy to make our museum world-class. I love bringing new people into the hobby and hearing their stories. It’s also fun to come up with new creative ways to promote the museum... like today’s “Fairytale Festival” for the kids and families. Of course, I had to do my part & gave a discount to anyone visiting during the festival.

9BD9D16A-616C-4B70-8CDE-11FB6A000551 (resized).jpeg9BD9D16A-616C-4B70-8CDE-11FB6A000551 (resized).jpeg

6324424D-0FF0-4110-A0ED-D7BAB084B6D4 (resized).jpeg6324424D-0FF0-4110-A0ED-D7BAB084B6D4 (resized).jpeg

Hope to see you again before long. Getting ready to hit my “EM marathon stride” and knock out a ton of them. Will have lots to show you next time through.

In the meantime, I’ll always make time for “pinball chat” with our visitors. It’s the best part of the job.

#2139 5 years ago

Nic
    We stopped in Roanoke Tuesday during the storm. Hit large hail on the interstate and figured my van was going to look like a golf ball, but got lucky - no damage.

We stayed just outside of Roanoke, looked up what to do, and found the museum. Never knew it was there. We parked on the second floor of the city garage due to flash flood warnings, didn’t want to push our luck.

Finally found the museum after wandering in the rain and finally calling. Please add even a paper sign on the first floor.

We had a great time, and I thought that was you, but I guess I was thinking that couldn’t be you. After catching up on the thread, yeah, that was you. I shouldn’t be so shy.

We don’t get out near Roanoke, but now we have an excuse to head there. Hope things go well for you and if I see you there, I’ll be sure to say hi.

Love the variety of machines. Definitely want to play Queens & Kings again. (May have title wrong). Something about the lockout holes going from left to right.

Thanks for what you’re doing there.

Bill & Kim C

4B7C4C45-AD04-4F9C-9776-0E2A5C743C75 (resized).jpeg4B7C4C45-AD04-4F9C-9776-0E2A5C743C75 (resized).jpeg

#2140 5 years ago

Thanks Bill & hey don't be afraid to say hello next time! Despite being a workaholic (my shoes are disintegrating from standing so much), I really enjoy stopping for pinball chat time with visitors. So many stories to share. It's what makes it all worthwhile.

I haven't fully rebuilt Kings & Queens yet, but it does play pretty well now that all of the lamp sockets have been fixed. I'm a huge stickler when it comes to lighting... I don't want a single dead or flaky bulb in there. The side->side->side->kickout thing is really cool. Did you also try Melody next to it? Great Add-A-Ball game with the same mechanism.

#2141 5 years ago

Nic-

I played them all, and had a blast. I'm trying to talk the boss into making a trip out there next year just to play for a day. If I see you there, I'll definitely say hi.

I have access to a Sing A Long, so basically the same machine as Melody.

#2142 5 years ago

Podcast time again. Just spent an amusing couple of hours with Ron & Bruce...

Episode 92 - Night at the Museum

Nic Schell from Nic’s North American Pinball Tour is back to talk about his latest pinball journey as the Director of Operations for the Roanoke Pinball Museum

http://www.roanokepinball.org

-Searching For a New Home
    -TPF
    -Executive Director
    -60 Games
    -EMs Rule
    -Living the Dream
    -A Piece of News
    -NYCPC
    -Mail Ball Bag
    -Farewell to The Gold Standard

This Episode:
    http://www.slamtiltpodcast.com/2018/05/23/episode-92-night-at-the-museum

All Episodes:
    http://www.slamtiltpodcast.com

Itunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-slam-tilt-podcast/id1134814365?mt=2

Stitcher:
    http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-slam-tilt-podcast

Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps/Iopg5qmcmkr2zxov7ww6ojru7oe

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/slamtiltpodcast

YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_dOvGATsveWjVjVzim09Q

Twitch:
    https://www.twitch.tv/slamtiltpodcast

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/slamtiltpodcast

Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/slamtiltpodcast

Email: [email protected]

#2143 5 years ago

I am so out of touch with all the social media
    that the only site that i have regularly visited in past is youtube.
    Actually glad that i am not burdened by having to keep up with all the rest.

#2144 5 years ago

I think I’m getting an idea of what it must be like running a restaurant. We just did two back-to-back pinball nights at the Roanoke museum with free food, cash bar, and music until midnight... and SMASHED all previous records for attendance.

The games got a serious workout. Borderline issues became showstoppers, and new issues began to creep up steadily. But in the entertainment business once the ship leaves the harbor... the show must go on. And so it is a constant hustle to manage game issues, customer relations, supplies, and teammates in a high-velocity environment.

They say you are only successful in business if your personal life isn’t in shambles. I’ve been working 90-hour weeks since I got here, and there is still a lot left to do. Personal life? HA! Non-existent. But still enthused to create a first-class pinball experience. Looks like we’re getting there... the finish line is in sight.

Don Macary and Paul Patti (often encountered in the EM pinball Facebook group) stopped by to pay us a visit. Don became a huge fan of Gottlieb’s 1967 Surf Side, whereas Paul was blown away by Bally’s 1971 Skyrocket with the best light show in EM pinball.

Thanks for stopping by, fellas... and reminding me to stop and smell the roses once in a while and flip a few games with friends. Gotta remember to do that or you just might chase your dreams off a cliff!

80162684-564E-4FA2-ADD6-2E33B7FC4686 (resized).jpeg80162684-564E-4FA2-ADD6-2E33B7FC4686 (resized).jpeg

W/Paul Patti

50D37863-934A-4B8F-9A63-ADC63B6C93AC (resized).jpeg50D37863-934A-4B8F-9A63-ADC63B6C93AC (resized).jpeg

W/Don Macary

496B8AC3-FB11-4877-8349-7A6444D29275 (resized).jpeg496B8AC3-FB11-4877-8349-7A6444D29275 (resized).jpeg

And let’s not forget Scott from the Richmond Pinball Collective! He stayed late marveling over our Banzai Run and playing in the “pinball cave”... we go lights out after 10pm.

#2145 5 years ago

Chris Martin of Digital Powertrip just paid me a visit at the museum. Despite my regal garb, it seems no matter how fancy I am dressed there will always be coil dust on my fingertips!

#2146 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Chris Martin of Digital Powertrip just paid me a visit at the museum. Despite my regal garb, it seems no matter how fancy I am dressed there will always be coil dust on my fingertips!
    » YouTube video

Arrr...nice interview, matey!

#2147 5 years ago

Neither pirate nor puffy shirt, scalawag! That vest is high-quality Italian troubadour fakery.

#2148 5 years ago

I just converted our World Cup Soccer to LED’s and installed the LED OCD board. Can not believe how good it looks! Phenomenal product. I need more!

I only installed the LED OCD board. Didn’t install the companion GI OCD board. Looks great as-is. Am I missing something without it? I guess some games use GI effects more than others, eh?

4A46AC8A-7F1D-497E-9105-099307E13489 (resized).jpeg4A46AC8A-7F1D-497E-9105-099307E13489 (resized).jpeg

Went with all warm-white frosteds here. Generally, as with most EM conversions, I’ve found best results when letting the color of the inserts “do the talking” instead of pumping up each color with a color-matched LED.

#2149 5 years ago

You might want to put a rubber on the right flipper. Some one was going to say it

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/43?hl=sleepy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.