(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 48.
    #2051 6 years ago

Haven’t taken a day off yet, and why would I? This is like working in the Imagineering department in Disneyland!

Roanoke is getting the best of what I can do. It’ll take a few months to complete the vision... but it’ll be a wondrous thing!

E348CE75-19F8-4AB3-95FB-8BA149182310 (resized).jpegE348CE75-19F8-4AB3-95FB-8BA149182310 (resized).jpeg

Oh... another tech update. I recently had my first opportunity to install new AS relay boards on a Spin-A-Card. It had horrible carbon tracking on both sides which was causing the wrong cards to light up during the spin sequence (short circuits).

578173B6-40F0-4C6E-8D20-CAF1D752D913 (resized).jpeg578173B6-40F0-4C6E-8D20-CAF1D752D913 (resized).jpeg

If you have a 1970's Bally multiplayer EM, you should immediately open the backbox right now and look at the player unit stepper. Odds are, you’ll see some carbon tracking on the circuit board. Use the alcohol, Mother’s polish, alcohol, and dry Teflon lube technique to remove it... otherwise the sparks will eat through the bakelite and cause other problems.

0C2E956D-CE57-42A7-97CB-9E61664387EE (resized).jpeg0C2E956D-CE57-42A7-97CB-9E61664387EE (resized).jpeg

Old board, meet new board.

15895D4A-1CDB-4B4E-A00C-A5B3BBD296BE (resized).jpeg15895D4A-1CDB-4B4E-A00C-A5B3BBD296BE (resized).jpeg

I opted to solder the wires directly to the pad instead of riveting solder tabs. If you’d like to do it old school, you’ll need 11 GTB-A4701 solder lugs and 11 GTB-A4907 rivets to secure them for each board. Might want to get a few extra just in case.

#2052 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oh... another tech update. I recently had my first opportunity to install new AS relay boards on a Spin-A-Card. It had horrible carbon tracking on both sides which was causing the wrong cards to light up during the spin sequence (short circuits).

If you have a 1970's Bally multiplayer EM, you should immediately open the backbox right now and look at the player unit stepper. Odds are, you’ll see some carbon tracking on the circuit board. Use the alcohol, Mother’s polish, alcohol, and dry Teflon lube technique to remove it... otherwise the sparks will eat through the bakelite and cause other problems.

Other problems like a FIRE! That one had alotta play left compared to this one out of a Flip-a-Card I did a couple years ago:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2053 6 years ago

Although the "Grand Tour" may have concluded, I think there is a certain convenience attached to keeping this thread ongoing. Even if the posts become far less frequent. It's a body of work that has continuing reference value, and refers back to prior content.

#2054 6 years ago

Nic, remember that Spin-A-Card you "referred" me to a while back? Well, I was a little horrified when I saw it's AS unit, thought finding a replacement would be tough...then came across Steve's great repro. As he pointed out, one side of the unit carries 25v the other 6v. And the 25v side is top most and collects more dirt. Anyway, turned out to be an easy fix thanks to PBR.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2055 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sure... always up for a chat. Knockout isn't on our "hit list" at the moment but I am looking for interesting additions...

I don't think Knockout is on anyone's Hit list!

#2056 6 years ago

Nic: Will you be maintaining both your Youtube pinball channels,
    Nic's Amazing and the Roanoke Pinball Museum channel or combining them?

#2057 6 years ago

They’ll both remain active.

In the meantime... pinball school resumes at the museum! John is re-rubbering Target Alpha with Titan rings and Dremel-ing out the lamp sockets.

1BBEB736-764D-45AA-A13A-6AE755A5ECE0 (resized).jpeg1BBEB736-764D-45AA-A13A-6AE755A5ECE0 (resized).jpeg

#2058 6 years ago

File under “things I’m learning as an arcade manager”...

Checklist: Install rapid-flip detector on all pins.

Anyone caught flipping more than 50 times within three seconds will have a crane lowered from the ceiling, hoist them by the collar, swivel to a nearby open window, and drop them down the chute with overhead GAME OVER in LED lights repeating all the way down to the street.

No refunds given when exiting by chute.

#2059 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Anyone caught flipping more than 50 times within three seconds

Are 3 yr olds exempt?

#2060 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

File under “things I’m learning as an arcade manager”...
    Checklist: Install rapid-flip detector on all pins.
    Anyone caught flipping more than 50 times within three seconds will have .........

Ahh. Welcome to the world of "public" game operations! For 25 or 50 cents, they feel they "own" the game. For $1.00, it's theirs to destroy.

#2061 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Haven’t taken a day off yet, and why would I? This is like working in the Imagineering department in Disneyland!

Roanoke is getting the best of what I can do. It’ll take a few months to complete the vision... but it’ll be a wondrous thing!

that ceiling looks amazing!

#2062 6 years ago
    Quoted from fantarama:

I’m gonna put chandeliers above the EM’s next. Do they deserve any less?

#2063 6 years ago
    Quoted from fantarama:

Indeed it does. Venue lighting is an interesting (and perhaps touchy) subject. When I've been to PHOF at night, I think there was mainly just the light coming from the machines themselves. Not necessarily adequate. For example, you couldn't read much of what was on the background info cards, where they had them. Banning handles this better, though it's still not entirely satisfactory. At your location, it looks like there should not be much of a problem seeing or reading anything.

#2064 6 years ago
    Quoted from fantarama:

Agree.. is that a tent-like roof or was the wavy curve fabricated in somehow. Its a nice touch to add some fun and whimsy to the area.

#2065 6 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Agree.. is that a tent-like roof or was the wavy curve fabricated in somehow. Its a nice touch to add some fun and whimsy to the area.

That place is not a tent. The building is really something you need to experience. Huge fish tank, color-changing LED ceiling on the first floor, multiple floors to explore, a killer children's museum on the floor above the museum (with a few pinball machines to boot!). Just go experience the place before I ruin any more of it for you.

#2066 6 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

Agree.. is that a tent-like roof or was the wavy curve fabricated in somehow.

for me it looks like some kind of plastic (or acrylic, who knows the exact material) panels.
    it reminds me of fairs and my childhood when all I saw was colorful shapes and bright lights and couldn't care less of what it actually was. very cool!

Quoted from NicoVolta:

I’m gonna put chandeliers above the EM’s next. Do they deserve any less?

it seems only right.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The building is really something you need to experience.

would love to see more!

#2067 6 years ago

Well... as of today I have a cold, it is very lightly snowing, I made a 425-mile torrential rain roundtrip to West Virginia for nothing yesterday (that Hi-Score Pool machine was a bust), and still haven't taken a day off. Thinking mid-May might be good. That's when I'll be returning to Texas to pick up some furniture and games to haul back for YOU to play!

Energizer Bunny got nothin' on me.

Oh goody! Mail arrived today!

pinjedi (resized).jpgpinjedi (resized).jpg

#2068 6 years ago

I like the plate.

#2069 6 years ago

Not many other folks who could legitimately drive around with a plate like that!

#2070 6 years ago

mmmm, 1st we pinball, then we eat.

#2071 6 years ago

Do or do not, there is no try.

#2072 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

EM's are like old cars. I don't count an EM "fixed" by repairing the weakest link in the system. It's only fixed when everything works, works well, and works reliably.
    Doesn't matter how skilled one is. This. Takes. Time. To. Do. It. Right.
    Luckily, it's time well-spent! OK... back to the factory... got some new crazy ideas ahead!

Thanks Nic I agree and should be priced accordingly. Translation lower your price if it's not totally fixed and stop saying I'm low balling if it's not.

#2073 6 years ago

I saw the listing for that Hi-Score Pool it must of been bad to pass that up.it said working but so did my Williams Little Chief.just because it turns on does not mean it's working.

#2074 6 years ago

Well... crap. Turns out I have a mini-flu-thing. It's my first half-day off!

I found four distinctive remixes of the Pinball Song. This was, by far, my ABSOLUTE favorite thing on Sesame Street... was so disappointed whenever it didn't run during an episode.

Dubstep video pinball remix of "The Pinball Song" by Hexstatic:

Hip-Hop (like the vintage cartoons and the "WOW" sample):

Full-on vocal re-recording and new HQ jazz audio:

Or... a straight-up remix with more animation than most other versions:

#2075 6 years ago

I know you are more of a "physical" than "virtual" guy but while you are recuperating, have you ever looked at the computer game: Adventure Pinball - Forgotten Island? its a different take in that instead of trying to simulate a real table, you are the ball. The camera follows the ball as it moves around and in some cases becomes the ball. It can be a bit disorienting but makes for a different experience.

I think its a free download these days, take a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=671&v=e_sdFV5mMs8

#2076 6 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

I know you are more of a "physical" than "virtual" guy but while you are recuperating, have you ever looked at the computer game: Adventure Pinball - Forgotten Island? its a different take in that instead of trying to simulate a real table, you are the ball. The camera follows the ball as it moves around and in some cases becomes the ball. It can be a bit disorienting but makes for a different experience.
    I think its a free download these days, take a look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=671&v=e_sdFV5mMs8

That is pretty cool. If you're gonna go virtual, might as well take the pinball in totally new and impossible places! I can imagine one themed after Monty Python and the Holy Grail... weave your way up Swamp Castle, knock the prince out of the window, slay the guests... knock the limbs off the Black Knight blocking the bridge to the next table... battle the rabbit... it could totally work.

party (resized).jpgparty (resized).jpg

Can't keep me out of the museum for long. Big party at the museum last night. Lots of lawyers. The rooftop had the food, but the cool kids hung out in the pinball arcade... and yes... there was Saturday Night Fever, Hall & Oates, and Xanadu.

"OMG I HAD MORE FUN TONIGHT THAN IN THE LAST 20 YEARS!"

That's what we like to hear. We gave them an extra hour before bringing up the house lights with Van Halen's "Happy Trails".

Pinball DJ... the world's best job.

#2077 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Well... crap. Turns out I have a mini-flu-thing. It's my first half-day off!
    I found four distinctive remixes of the Pinball Song. This was, by far, my ABSOLUTE favorite thing on Sesame Street... was so disappointed whenever it didn't run during an episode.
    Dubstep video pinball remix of "The Pinball Song" by Hexstatic: » YouTube video
    Hip-Hop (like the vintage cartoons and the "WOW" sample): » YouTube video
    Full-on vocal re-recording and new HQ jazz audio: » YouTube video
    Or... a straight-up remix with more animation than most other versions: » YouTube video

Venetian Snares did a version of this and its my personal favorite

#2078 6 years ago

Pace yourself friend as one's passion can exceed one's physical limits - if not now then someday. At least limit work to 80 hours per week until you let some of that local pace sink in. This is a great move for you - all the best Nic!

#2079 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

They’ll both remain active.
    In the meantime... pinball school resumes at the museum! John is re-rubbering Target Alpha with Titan rings and Dremel-ing out the lamp sockets.

How does “pinball school” work? I just found this thread and hadn’t heard of the museum. The kids and I will be making a pilgrimage very soon!

#2080 6 years ago

We maintain a small staff of volunteers which drop in occasionally on pre-arranged tech days. Mostly fellow hobbyists & we also have lunch together. Since my arrival there has been extra interest in EM-related work... so I’m giving more time to the volunteers for that.

C’mon in and say hello! I’m there literally every day, just about all day. I’m sure I’ll take a day off eventually... maybe in May. Ah yes... Allentown! That’ll work.

Lots to do. Ambitions to fulfill!

#2081 5 years ago

Corner cafe pre-workday musings: Why doesn’t everyone buy Aim toothpaste? Same stuff in it, but only .89c for a huge tube?

Tuesday... I’ll take my first day off Tuesday. Promise. Still... a pinball trip/meeting and work will be discussed, so will it count?

E861FCB9-4750-4E22-BF1C-A326A9F040CB (resized).jpegE861FCB9-4750-4E22-BF1C-A326A9F040CB (resized).jpeg

#2082 5 years ago

I was always a toothpaste tube pump man
    (usually AquaFresh as I liked the red,white&blue stripes)

But then everyone stopped making them (except for kids flavored bubble gum)
    until recently Crest reintroduced its tube pump.

I know not the most economical,
    but i hate the conventional tube and putting the cap back on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2083 5 years ago

Convenience is a vice in this country, my friend. If I had my wish I’d ban plastic utensils and styrofoam plates, cups, and to-go containers.

We’re rich enough to buy our own reusable gear...

#2084 5 years ago

Well this being Earth Day
    Lets all make a pledge to do something
    to help with that effect.
    Pick up trash at the beach
    Forgo using store provided grocery bags (paper or plastic)
    and bring your own reusable tote bags instead (Calif has mandated that).
    Drink all your beer from the tap or out of refillable growlers.
    Demand that Fast Food ban plastic straws and go back to paper straws.
    Every little bit helps.

#2085 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Convenience is a vice in this country, my friend. If I had my wish I’d ban plastic utensils and styrofoam plates, cups, and to-go containers.
    We’re rich enough to buy our own reusable gear...

Lots of area trying to ban plastic drinking straws, probably 50,000,000 used per day. Even getting those out of peoples hands will be a small help

#2086 5 years ago

Okay, I now have to bring (or pay for) my shopping bags now. They have outlawed styrofoam in many areas in California (which keeps the drinks cold longer).

But leave me my plastic straws. I hate the feel of paper ones.

In our area, We recycle just about everything now. How 'bout the rest of the States catch up. I can't stand it when I travel and no one has even heard of NOT just tossing their plastic water bottles. I am sure just one bottle will make up for quite a few straws.

#2087 5 years ago

I think the solution may be reusable “designer straws” which are bejeweled and shiny to signal how one is not only eco-conscious but also conspicuously well-off.

Will the dopamine payoff of bragging rights win out over small wasteful conveniences?

In LA, it just might!

#2088 5 years ago

I’m surrounded by wonderful things... so why go home? Where is home anyway? A place where one feels completely unstuck... and where the original TRON soundtrack plays in one’s imagination while turning the screws.

4DE6A5AE-41D2-4747-B6A0-49590E09B4F7 (resized).jpeg4DE6A5AE-41D2-4747-B6A0-49590E09B4F7 (resized).jpeg

#2089 5 years ago

Nic, I'm assuming that your first job is to get all pins working 100%. Now I've come to realize that "working" means a lot of different things to different people. To a casual player this may mean that all parts function correctly enough so that the logic and scoring of the game proceed as designed. To others it may mean tuning a game so that it plays and even sounds exactly like it did when it first left the factory (or even better). Importantly, if someone has never played an expertly tuned game they often can't tell how crappy many games are. When they do experience a finely tuned one though, even a familiar game feels like something they've never played before - it's just feels great.

Could you talk about how you approach prioritizing how you work on games? Do you keep a list of things to come back to after other things of greater importance have been addressed? (like "this pin could use a flipper rebuild" or "score reels work but are a bit sluggish" or "chimes could sound better" or even "this stepper is very dirty and could use a rebuild" etc).

Also wondering at what point do you stop tuning to perfection vs looking for new games to get to just basic level of playability? What is your ultimate goal for these pins here under your care?

#2090 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

We maintain a small staff of volunteers which drop in occasionally on pre-arranged tech days. Mostly fellow hobbyists & we also have lunch together. Since my arrival there has been extra interest in EM-related work... so I’m giving more time to the volunteers for that.
    C’mon in and say hello! I’m there literally every day, just about all day. I’m sure I’ll take a day off eventually... maybe in May. Ah yes... Allentown! That’ll work.
    Lots to do. Ambitions to fulfill!

If I lived in the area....i'd be IN!

#2091 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Corner cafe pre-workday musings: Why doesn’t everyone buy Aim toothpaste? Same stuff in it, but only .89c for a huge tube?

(in case you want to switch the thread to a toothpaste one!) I recommend Toms of Maine - primarily in that they don't have SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) in it. Using a toothpaste with SLS gives me frequent cold sores. Since switching to a SLS-free toothpaste I haven't had one in years.

Our local Earth Day went well, lots of participation and the local breweries partnered with the cleanup crews - everyone was happy!

#2092 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Nic, I'm assuming that your first job is to get all pins working 100%. Now I've come to realize that "working" means a lot of different things to different people. To a casual player this may mean that all parts function correctly enough so that the logic and scoring of the game proceed as designed. To others it may mean tuning a game so that it plays and even sounds exactly like it did when it first left the factory (or even better). Importantly, if someone has never played an expertly tuned game they often can't tell how crappy many games are. When they do experience a finely tuned one though, even a familiar game feels like something they've never played before - it's just feels great.

Could you talk about how you approach prioritizing how you work on games? Do you keep a list of things to come back to after other things of greater importance have been addressed? (like "this pin could use a flipper rebuild" or "score reels work but are a bit sluggish" or "chimes could sound better" or even "this stepper is very dirty and could use a rebuild" etc).

Also wondering at what point do you stop tuning to perfection vs looking for new games to get to just basic level of playability? What is your ultimate goal for these pins here under your care?

A very good question indeed. I've seen what can happen when a perfection-minded person gets overworked. Tim Arnold comes to mind. He is still pulling 80+ hours a week after many years at the PHOF. I have no idea how he does it. Tons of games and not many people to help him... yet somehow he keeps on slogging it out, year after year. I don't think most people realize the extremes to which he has gone. It's not healthy.

Arcade Expo has even more games and more volunteers than PHOF. Yet it will take many more years for the EM's to be fully functional if that is a priority... there are just so many!

Roanoke Pinball Museum is about 30% of the PHOF in terms of size (if you factor out the crane games, drink machines, ball bowler, etc). However, our facility is in a very nice venue at the epicenter of the downtown main square. Walkable, pretty, and surrounded by restaurants and bars. Which positions it a little differently from a stand-alone arcade in a strip mall or remote location.

As such, my goal is quality and experience, not quantity. We're not competing with Dave & Buster's. This is a curated, museum-y experience. My goal is to rebuild and bulletproof everything... 100% lamps and functions working and playing as well as possible, for as long as possible. All of the games need to be excellent.

For now, I'm extinguishing the major issues. A lot of work remains. But the size of the museum is manageable and that's the main thing. Gut feeling tells me I'll be able to fulfill my ambitions... and that gets me up early and staying late every day.

Also, it's cool when peeps from the tour/Pinside/community stop by to say hello, like this fella today (James Hudson)!

w/James Hudsonw/James Hudson

#2093 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Roanoke Pinball Museum is about 30% of the PHOF in terms of size (if you factor out the crane games, drink machines, ball bowler, etc). However, our facility is in a very nice venue at the epicenter of the downtown main square. Walkable, pretty, and surrounded by restaurants and bars. Which positions it a little differently from a stand-alone arcade in a strip mall or remote location.

That is a big plus over the PHOF. I've had to leave and drive to get something to eat and didn't go back both times I was there. (mental note for next time, bring food and refreshments so I can stay there all day. I'm like a kid in a candy store there)

They need a food truck at least so we can stay there and play the games instead of starving.

The plus side is I found two EMs there that were so much fun that they're on my very short list of two games that I won't pass on if available locally. (Royal Guard and Apollo)

#2094 5 years ago

Can't wait to check out PHOF. Can anyone comment on maintenance quality there?

#2095 5 years ago

Good to see you the other day Nic...back from Atlanta now, so going to unload that game and finish it up. Nice operation you guys have up there.

#2096 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Also, it's cool when peeps from the tour/Pinside/community stop by to say hello, like this fella today (James Hudson)!

Is it just me, or does James look like a young Mike Pacak w/o hair.....?

Just me? Okay, move along.

#2097 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

They maintain the em's pretty well. The brand new Sterns are usually ok for the first year or so. Don't bother playing anything else. Tim loves his em's and is seen constantly working on them, but 1990's Bally/Williams and ss era not so much.

#2098 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

I see Tim working hard on maintenance. With that many games it's not easy for sure. Their Royal Guard and Apollo played like new and were the best EMs there that I had a chance to play. I only played half of them before leaving for good to get some food.

BTW, be sure to bring plenty of food and drink if you plan to stay a long time unless you're fine with leaving and driving somewhere else to get some food and drink then going back.

#2099 5 years ago

He's done some interesting things like strengthen some of the slingshot coils (and reinforce the posts with t-nuts/machine screws). Also built custom relays to drop the GI lamp circuit between games to save power. In general his EM's play better than most on location, although his all-cool-white LED treatment isn't what I personally prefer.

Considering the smaller size of our venue, I'll be able to maintain the EM's at "max quality" once I get caught up.

#2100 5 years ago

Speaking of getting caught up, I will be rotating in some from my own collection. Will give me a HUGE head start.

Coming to the floor this May... all have been cleared and rebuilt, except where noted:

Bow & Arrow
    Freedom prototype
    Joker Poker (SS)
    Mata Hari (SS) - rebuild in process
    Out of Sight
    Queen's Castle - rare Zac... rebuild in process
    Williams Rancho - rebuild in process
    Skyrocket
    Snow Derby
    STARS (SS) - reuild in process
    Surf Side - rebuilt... will be cleared eventually

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.