(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 48.
    #2001 6 years ago

Check out the race track if ya get a chance..... nicknamed 'thunder valley' -when theres 40 race cars on a .533 mile oval its as loud as thunder!

#2002 6 years ago

Well to be honest, your results on the road and your tourney road results don't show you being the best judge of EM skills or play Just sayin'.

#2003 6 years ago

Hiya folks... two hours away from Roanoke. It’s Seattle-drizzly and cold, but I’m pumped for the next grand adventure. And hey, maybe a few more mini-tours too! Eventually we need to cover a few repair techniques that haven’t been discussed yet. I’ll get them posted here before too long.

Spent last night visiting Jackie (@aflacjack) of Flip Side Retro Arcade in Bristol, TN. His arcade is already off to a meteoric start. Great lineup of games with color DMD’s and upgrades. Also got Nip-It and Riviera running... BECAUSE APPARENTLY I CANNOT RESIST FIXING EM’s EVEN WHILE MOVING.

Haha... it’s the best kind of sickness.

5828140F-C502-4C98-B8AA-7086F4F40344 (resized).jpeg5828140F-C502-4C98-B8AA-7086F4F40344 (resized).jpeg

#2004 6 years ago

how are your games getting to VA? Will they also be set up at the museum?

#2005 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

And hey, maybe a few more mini-tours too!

Yes, I have a couple EMs patiently waiting for a mini-New England tour!

#2006 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Good questions. Ideally I’d like to feature something really special and fold the games into that vision. Info to come... discussions will follow soon.

Quoted from Matesamo:

Yes, I have a couple EMs patiently waiting for a mini-New England tour!

Hang tight! Gonna work hard to make it happen this year.

#2007 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Good questions. Ideally I’d like to feature something really special and fold the games into that vision. Info to come... discussions will follow soon.

It will be on a train, with 100 EM's neatly lined up in several cars, all powered up and stopping at every town along the way for all to play!!
    Donate now, to make this happen!!

#2008 6 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

It will be on a train, with 100 EM's neatly lined up in several cars, all powered up and stopping at every town along the way for all to play!!
    Donate now, to make this happen!!

haha, that would be awesome, just like when the carnival used to come to town. We will need some Barkers...

#2009 6 years ago

Thanks for stopping by...it was a blast!! EM’s here we come.

#2010 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hang tight! Gonna work hard to make it happen this year.

Don’t be teasing! I have a Surf Champ crying out to you!

#2011 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Newsflash: I will be putting my personal collection on the floor ASAP.

A lot of work needs to be done to get RPM to the next level. Having my games here will buy me many months of time.

And also... why the heck not? I want them out of storage and to be played. Game on.

#2012 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Newsflash: I will be putting my personal collection on the floor ASAP.
    A lot of work needs to be done to get RPM to the next level. Having my games here will buy me many months of time.
    And also... why the heck not. I want them out of storage and to be played. Game on.
    » YouTube video

Wows. That's a heck of an announcement. When do you expect your fleet to take the floor at RPM? ...and how many Nic games will there be? Regardless...

#2013 6 years ago

Now that you are near NC, will you be going to Winston-Salem Auctions in future,
    The one this weekend had some cheap EMs

#2014 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wows. That's a heck of an announcement. When do you expect your fleet to take the floor at RPM? ...and how many Nic games will there be? Regardless...

Month or two. Gonna move into a downtown loft/condo so I can walk to work.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Now that you are near NC, will you be going to Winston-Salem Auctions in future,
    The one this weekend had some cheap EMs

Just missed the last one... saw some killer deals but I heard most were rough/bad glasses. But $75 for a Dixieland is insane-cheap.

#2015 6 years ago

62A57258-609A-4B35-9883-E573694C33E7 (resized).jpeg62A57258-609A-4B35-9883-E573694C33E7 (resized).jpeg

OK folks... it’s time for the first real Roanoke Update. Hope you’re relaxed and cozy after dying all of those Easter eggs.

Top-level newbie observations:

I currently live in Salem which is a 20 minute drive from downtown Roanoke. It’s on the west side of town. Think Las Colinas -> downtown Dallas without the traffic.

Oh, there is no traffic... ever. The hills and trees roll by gracefully, day or night. This is already having an astonishing effect upon my ability to relax behind the wheel. I am beginning to enjoy driving as a recreational activity again. It could not be more different from the competitive life-or-death fight-or-flight grudge match of Dallas traffic.

The downside is Salem’s 25-mph speed limit on nearly every residential road... but hey... at least it’s pretty. Quite pretty indeed.

8BFA04DF-17FB-4D3A-945F-8D7EF1F4CC12 (resized).jpeg8BFA04DF-17FB-4D3A-945F-8D7EF1F4CC12 (resized).jpeg

My auto insurance instantly dropped by more than 50%. This, I really like.

Around town I see more hardship cases working at Lowe’s, big box stores, etc. The economy is noticeably slower here. But everybody works and this is preferable to shutting them out of the economy altogether.

I have also noticed a new regional demographic: Men with weathered and scraggly beards, sometimes in overalls and/or hats. But just when you think the banjos are coming... the sound of modern ringtones (Iron Man) and a “hello” bring it all back in perspective. People are just people here, go figure.

Hipsters are here too, but regionally flavored and somewhat fewer in number/tats/piercings. Likely because the general vibe is so friendly and relaxed. You don’t have to try too hard... but if you want to, go for it. Works for me.

399CB4F5-9177-4B4A-A258-93D1CF837E6B (resized).jpeg399CB4F5-9177-4B4A-A258-93D1CF837E6B (resized).jpeg

Strangers reflexively say “how ya doing” ALL THE TIME. To me, to each other, everyone. From the sidewalks or through the windows of their cars, sometimes laughing when recognized by a friend or neighbor. And they mean it. It’s not unlike Groundhog Day or your favorite Wes Anderson film. The size of the city is just right. It exists as a real, organic community. Probably best not to burn any bridges... I suspect news travels quick!

Women often speak with a particular southern lilt that is a real treat to behold. It’s not twangy, it’s not country, but rather something older and refined from another age altogether. Like my grandfather and mother’s cousins from North Carolina. I love it.

When I signed up for a new checking account at the local bank, I lost track of the number of “sweethearts”, gentle nods, and sincere laughs/eye contact I received. Melted my cold city heart right then and there.

298A4D09-1A6A-46F7-B497-62E9726421A6 (resized).jpeg298A4D09-1A6A-46F7-B497-62E9726421A6 (resized).jpeg

Also noticed single women dining alone were softly singing along to the overhead music (“Our Lips Are Sealed”) or just to themselves. Perhaps it’s something in the water? It does taste pretty good.

Thus far, I’m exceptionally pleased with this walkable, friendly, pretty, inexpensive little town. Eventually, it’s going to get discovered and possibly ruined... but for now it’s all biscuits and gravy.

B0BC8BF4-20CB-424B-B842-9938FC1A1236 (resized).jpegB0BC8BF4-20CB-424B-B842-9938FC1A1236 (resized).jpeg

(Tex-Mex, I do miss thee... haven’t found a suitable replacement yet)

Lots of work to do, but my goal is a world-class destination.

#2016 6 years ago

Nice update, thanks. Maybe time for a new, dedicated Roanoke thread?

#2017 6 years ago

I agree on the traffic a lot less stress not dealing with the stop and go crap.

I love the waitresses when I go to South Carolina with the y'all come back now here makes me just want to melt.
    The locals are very friendly, a different and slower pace of life.

#2018 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Nice update, thanks. Maybe time for a new, dedicated Roanoke thread?

Maybe, but then again, I will be hitting the road for some mini-tours, tourneys, and shows like Allentown and Pinburgh in the near future. It's pretty convenient to have all the photos and ongoing trek in one place... even if it isn't strictly on the road 100% anymore.

I'll strive to keep writing with the "tour perspective" in mind... sharing meetups with fellow Pinsiders, tech tips, and pinball around the country. As long as the core motivation for pinball is still burning brightly, we'll have more story to tell.

Quoted from ckcsm:

I agree on the traffic a lot less stress not dealing with the stop and go crap.
    I love the waitresses when I go to South Carolina with the y'all come back now here makes me just want to melt.
    The locals are very friendly, a different and slower pace of life.

I cannot believe how stressful driving in Dallas is. You get numb to it over time, but it's like slowly going deaf. The things you need to hear are simply not there anymore... they just fade out of the picture. What's left is a life that somehow feels shorter and less meaningful. But there are an awful lot of distractions and material pursuits available to fill that void, and by gosh, the big city certainly provides that in spades... and how.

It's really a philosophy question: Churn and burn, or slow and grow? I'm ready for a good dose of the latter after a whirlwind year and decades of pedal-to-the-metal. Bring on the Virginia/Carolina warmth & charm!

#2019 6 years ago

Oh yeah, speaking of the Virginia charm, if y’all ever come for a visit you’ll have to say hello to Aimee... she’s as dedicated to the museum as I am and has never known a stranger.

EFEF55EE-70CB-4272-86D2-EF2871DD8E99 (resized).jpegEFEF55EE-70CB-4272-86D2-EF2871DD8E99 (resized).jpeg

She also coordinates monthly parties on our rooftop w/gorgeous views of the valley.

38EB772B-05AD-46EE-9914-B5BD21951AC6 (resized).jpeg38EB772B-05AD-46EE-9914-B5BD21951AC6 (resized).jpeg

Really liking it here.

#2020 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oh yeah, speaking of the Virginia charm, if y’all ever come for a visit you’ll have to say hello to Aimee... she’s as dedicated to the museum as I am and has never known a stranger.

Amen to this. Aimee treated my son and me like royalty when we were there a couple months back.

rpm (resized).jpgrpm (resized).jpg

Great place. Great staff. Can't wait to see it become even greater in the coming months/years.

#2021 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oh, there is no traffic... ever. The hills and trees roll by gracefully, day or night. This is already having an astonishing effect upon my ability to relax behind the wheel. I am beginning to enjoy driving as a recreational activity again. It could not be more different from the competitive life-or-death fight-or-flight grudge match of Dallas traffic.

I know exactly what you mean. I was commuting 1.5 hours each way in the San Francisco area. We moved up here to a rural town and its only when you can look back on it that you really see how much it is killing you. I now make less than 1/2 of what I was making but my commute is 6 minutes (7 if the traffic light is red) and I lost 20 pounds and 20 points of blood pressure just from the lifestyle.

#2022 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

She also coordinates monthly parties on our rooftop w/gorgeous views of the valley.

Really liking it here.

What a great view from up there!

Hmmmm....might have to use some vaca time and make a road trip to Va this summer......

#2023 6 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

What a great view from up there!
    Hmmmm....might have to use some vaca time and make a road trip to Va this summer......

Worth it.

#2026 6 years ago

Hmmm. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Not the news article, but the whole story of Nic picking Roanoke.

#2027 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Not the news article, but the whole story of Nic picking Roanoke.

Romance?

#2029 6 years ago

My thought as well....

#2030 6 years ago

What are you guys talking about? The love of pinball?

#2031 6 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

What are you guys talking about? The love of pinball?

More like 50 shades of pinball.

#2032 6 years ago

You dorks! Just GOTTA have something to speculate about, eh? If not a rumored pinball machine then a new pinball director?

Aimee is the Director or Operations and we are like left and right feet here. Complementary skill sets but both “extremely dedicated” to the museum.

BTW... already had a friend from Dallas stop by: Stevo aka t3amaw3s0m3 on his way from DC to Charlotte. We worked on an EM and ate half-price pizza at Fortunato... which is every Wednesday for you locals.

164CF150-83B4-46EF-A3EC-C7FE808B5D72 (resized).jpeg164CF150-83B4-46EF-A3EC-C7FE808B5D72 (resized).jpeg
    63B2D8C8-E6C7-41DB-B350-DD07E1AEAD65 (resized).jpeg63B2D8C8-E6C7-41DB-B350-DD07E1AEAD65 (resized).jpeg

#2033 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

You dorks! Just GOTTA have something to speculate about, eh?

Notice, he did not deny it!

#2034 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Notice, he did not deny it!

Oh I noticed!

#2035 6 years ago

Yup...

#2036 6 years ago

Honestly, good for him. If it is indeed true, he has found a job that he is passionate about and quite possibly a partner to enjoy the ride!

#2037 6 years ago

True or not,
    We wish Nic and all his partners
    in the Roanoke Pinball Museum endeavor all the best.

Though my wife is still dis-appointed and jealous
    that Nic choose the east coast over the NW.

#2038 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

dis-appointed and jealous that Nic choose the east coast over the NW.

ya, I was hoping for west coast...oh well.

#2039 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

You dorks! Just GOTTA have something to speculate about, eh? If not a rumored pinball machine then a new pinball director?
    Aimee is the Director or Operations and we are like left and right feet here. Complementary skill sets but both “extremely dedicated” to the museum.
    BTW... already had a friend from Dallas stop by: Stevo aka t3amaw3s0m3 on his way from DC to Charlotte. We worked on an EM and ate half-price pizza at Fortunato... which is every Wednesday for you locals.

Nic and Aimee sitting in a tree....lol

#2040 6 years ago

BTW I'm planning to attend the Allentown Pinfest in about a month - May 4-5. Say hello if you see me there!

#2041 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

BTW I'm planning to attend the Allentown Pinfest in about a month - May 4-5. Say hello if you see me there!

Sweet. Last year you were pressed for time. Hopefully this year I can pull you aside for a bit to chat

I will also have a Bally Knockout for sale if you have any interest in taking that back to the museum with you.

#2042 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Sweet. Last year you were pressed for time. Hopefully this year I can pull you aside for a bit to chat
    I will also have a Bally Knockout for sale if you have any interest in taking that back to the museum with you.

Sure... always up for a chat. Knockout isn't on our "hit list" at the moment but I am looking for interesting additions...

#2043 6 years ago

lovers (resized).jpglovers (resized).jpg

#2044 6 years ago

All the stars are definitely lined up!

#2045 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

All the stars are definitely lined up!

Speaking of stars... it was a move from the Lone Star State to the Lone Star City!

F18791BA-8C81-40CF-9A94-BD47A2207FC2 (resized).jpegF18791BA-8C81-40CF-9A94-BD47A2207FC2 (resized).jpeg

#2046 6 years ago

I lived in Roanoke when I was young - my family would hike up to the star to watch the sun rise frequently. Beautiful.

#2047 6 years ago

Pardon the silence. I'm working nearly 90 hours a week. Tomorrow will be my first day off. I think I'll buy groceries. Yes, groceries. I need those.

EM's are like old cars. I don't count an EM "fixed" by repairing the weakest link in the system. It's only fixed when everything works, works well, and works reliably.

Doesn't matter how skilled one is. This. Takes. Time. To. Do. It. Right.

Luckily, it's time well-spent! OK... back to the factory... got some new crazy ideas ahead!

#2048 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Pardon the silence. I'm working nearly 90 hours a week. Tomorrow will be my first day off. I think I'll buy groceries. Yes, groceries. I need those.

Don't kill yourself Nic. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

#2049 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

EM's are like old cars. I don't count an EM "fixed" by repairing the weakest link in the system. It's only fixed when everything works, works well, and works reliably.
    Doesn't matter how skilled one is. This. Takes. Time. To. Do. It. Right.
    Luckily, it's time well-spent! OK... back to the factory... got some new crazy ideas ahead!

HOLY CRAP, I struggle with my 37.5 work week

Start slow, work up to working hard, if you start at this pace, they think you'll have to keep it up from this time forward

#2050 6 years ago

For doing the “tip solder” trick on bus-style sockets (one wire running the length through all tabs)... I’ve been doing this:

6710FEE5-9E5F-43BE-9625-2B1BB0D07BE6 (resized).jpeg6710FEE5-9E5F-43BE-9625-2B1BB0D07BE6 (resized).jpeg

Helps to preserve the distance between the common/power lines and prevent them from touching.

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/41?hl=mymalibu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.