(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 48.
    #151 7 years ago

excited to have made the cut!

#152 7 years ago

No joke. Most of this is locked in (latest version).

This ain't no sightseeing selfie trip! It's all about the peoples and the pinballs.

#153 7 years ago

...and that Winnipeg to Edmonton stretch? Hoo boy. Wish I hadn't already listened to every episode of Dennis & Tony's Eclectic Gamers Podcast... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eclectic-gamers-podcast. Good in-depth talks and opinions on pinball.

(BTW I like Black Hole but no way is it better than The Hobbit!)

#154 7 years ago

what is the total milage and time frame?

this is bloody insane and I love it!!!

#155 7 years ago

That's an epic road trip. My wife and I did Jersey out to Yellowstone, down to the Grand Canyon, over to Disney World, and back up (with everything in between) in three and a half weeks. You'll lose feeling in that right foot, so I hope you've got cruise control. I'd love to see you when you're out my way...

#156 7 years ago

Over 10,000 miles and 150 hours behind the wheel.

Yep, crazy, but beats working on stacks of paperwork in a grey cubicle.

#157 7 years ago

Yo Beez! NJ schedule is super tight due to mandatory Allentown event... will you be there?

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yo Beez! NJ schedule is super tight due to mandatory Allentown event... will you be there?

I will on Friday, and I'll see you there! WOO HOO!!! (I need to thank you in person for all your help and advice with Jacks Open...)

#159 7 years ago

PM sent if ya want to check out Colorful Colorado

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Come to my place on the 4th with Boob, it's my birthday Like an hour outside of Allentown

#161 7 years ago

Hey Otaku-keeper-of-the-EM's! Would love to be a part of that... already locked in on a stay/repair stop right until Allentown. But *may* have some wiggle room. I'll know more when we get closer.

Either way, looks like Allentown will be a blast!

#162 7 years ago

Nico - Have you finished reaching out to all prospects yet to confirm your stops?

#163 7 years ago

Not all, but most up through Vancouver going counterclockwise from Texas. Doing the west coast now.

Was going to hit you up for a visit (thanks for offering!), but the Crabtowne Pinball Club folks nabbed me before I got Delaware locked in. Will be spending a couple of days with them in Baltimore before hitting north Jersey.

#164 7 years ago

No worries! I'll just bring my EM to Allentown and hope that you or one of the other EM guru's can help me out. Have a safe and wonderful trip and I'll see you in May!

#165 7 years ago

You know, Nic, you've just given me a wonderful idea. When I retire in a few years, I'm going to do the same thing. Except since I have no marketable skills whatsoever, I'll just crash at different people's houses around the country for a night and clean out their refrigerators. After all, who wouldn't want to play with a Boob for a night?

#166 7 years ago

Just thought of a tip for you: I hope you built in some time to get your oil changed at a couple of places. I had to do it in Colorado when I went cross-country. Keep it in mind if it hasn't occurred to you!

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know, Nic, you've just given me a wonderful idea. When I retire in a few years, I'm going to do the same thing. Except since I have no marketable skills whatsoever, I'll just crash at different people's houses around the country for a night and clean out their refrigerators. After all, who wouldn't want to play with a Boob for a night?

If you follow Nic's route you can crash at my place. And to answer your question... nobody.

#168 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...I'll just crash at different people's houses around the country for a night...

Nic, I think you started something here. We already have VRBO, HomeAway, and most recently Airbnb. I think I'm going to rush out and register the domain PinBNB.com to make these random trips around the country easier to plan. And in the true American spirit, I'll only take 20% off the top after I act as an escrow between traveler and pinhead with an empty couch/bed.

#169 7 years ago

thought I was clicking a button to enlargen the map image and it was actually a button that marked it unsafe for work!! Sorry about that they should really label that better or ask you "are you sure you want to mark this unsafe for work?" in case you accidentally click it like I did. Anyway, bummed I didn't make the list but I understand the tour is a big undertaking, best of luck on the road. I'm taking a vacation with my girlfriend next week to Texas and will be at TPF Saturday so if I see you there or Pinfest in Allentown I'll say hello!

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just thought of a tip for you: I hope you built in some time to get your oil changed at a couple of places. I had to do it in Colorado when I went cross-country. Keep it in mind if it hasn't occurred to you!

great suggestion.

Nic, if you are getting near oil change time when you stop at my house, there is a tires plus on the end of my block. We could drop off your vehicle and walk back to my place it is so close. You will have to call ahead a day to get an appt.

Also a valvoline quick change place 1/2 block further if you want the fast and no appt route.

#171 7 years ago

You guys must have telepathic powers. I got an oil change a few days ago (synthetic Mobil 1) and was planning to get another in Minneapolis. Needs to be done at a Hyundai dealer because I have an oil change package about to expire.

Ah, planning... has consumed many days of what I'd rather be doing: Fixing games!

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryansherwood:

thought I was clicking a button to enlargen the map image and it was actually a button that marked it unsafe for work!! Sorry about that they should really label that better or ask you "are you sure you want to mark this unsafe for work?" in case you accidentally click it like I did. Anyway, bummed I didn't make the list but I understand the tour is a big undertaking, best of luck on the road. I'm taking a vacation with my girlfriend next week to Texas and will be at TPF Saturday so if I see you there or Pinfest in Allentown I'll say hello!

Lol you can click it again to "un-click" it. Is this retribution for not making it to Wilkes-Barre?

I wish I could make every stop. The route itself had a mind of its own and decided who would be on it, due to being bookended by the Allentown and NW Pacific shows. If they weren't a month apart I'd have had more time for the east coast. Really wanted to make it to you, Funspot, Burdick Chocolate, and Toronto among others. Only a few days for "vacation" which come more towards the back end of the trip.

Of course, this may mean a round 2 is in order...

#173 7 years ago

Nic, it looks like your southwest journey takes you through Tucson, stop 'D'. You are welcome to stop at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour and I will open it up just for you! I won't be needing any EM help, but I have quite a few working EMs now. You can play my Middle Pop Pins, Spanish Eyes and Fan-Tas-Tic. I also have a Travel Time with a middle slot kick-back that is a lot of fun to play. Bring your sun glasses!

#174 7 years ago

So is that the final map?

#175 7 years ago

Wow. I had no idea. This is a "budget" trip!

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Nic, it looks like your southwest journey takes you through Tucson, stop 'D'. You are welcome to stop at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour and I will open it up just for you! I won't be needing any EM help, but I have quite a few working EMs now. You can play my Middle Pop Pins, Spanish Eyes and Fan-Tas-Tic. I also have a Travel Time with a middle slot kick-back that is a lot of fun to play. Bring your sun glasses!

Sounds great! Will be in your 'hood in early July (after the 4th).

Quoted from futurepinhead:

So is that the final map?

For the most part, yes. I have not sent out all notifications yet... and unfortunately Mount Vernon is too far inland for the route to work. However, there were enough midwest requests near St. Louis/Kansas/Iowa/Oklahoma to warrant an encore trip along a smaller inland loop... and you're in it. Will keep you posted.

Quoted from RCA1:

Wow. I had no idea. This is a "budget" trip!

HA! True... I sold my pristine Lexus ES for my 'lil 2016 Tucson Eco. Love it.

#177 7 years ago

That's a shame. You should put Spokane back on your map. Maybe next time!

#178 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Bring your sun glasses!

Is that due to the Arizona Sun (which I know can be brutal)? Or the excessive use of LEDs?

#179 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Lol you can click it again to "un-click" it. Is this retribution for not making it to Wilkes-Barre?
    I wish I could make every stop. The route itself had a mind of its own and decided who would be on it, due to being bookended by the Allentown and NW Pacific shows. If they weren't a month apart I'd have had more time for the east coast. Really wanted to make it to you, Funspot, Burdick Chocolate, and Toronto among others. Only a few days for "vacation" which come more towards the back end of the trip.
    Of course, this may mean a round 2 is in order...

Haha I wanted to make sure I told you so you knew it wasn't retribution. I keep clicking it and it just keeps popping up "you marked this unsafe for work"? ugh!

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Or the excessive use of LEDs?

Ha! I just put LEDs in my first pin, Hardbody, last month. I like the LEDs in the inserts and can live with color LEDs on the playfield but they cost too much for my budget. LEDs won't be going in my EMs any time soon if ever. It seems rather silly to spend $200 on a Project Pin and then spend $75 for LEDs! And that is just fine with me because I want my old fashioned pinballs to be as authentically original as possible.

Quoted from CactusJack:

Is that due to the Arizona Sun (which I know can be brutal)?

Nic might not be needing his sunglasses if he is coming through here in July. That is when the monsoon really kicks in.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sounds great! Will be in your 'hood in early July (after the 4th).

I'm looking forward to meeting you. Nic, we will need to watch the weather for you. The I-10 corridor from Tucson to Phoenix can be dangerous during the monsoon. Convective thunderstorms that form in southern Arizona usually last less than two hours and when they fall apart north of Tucson they can cause haboobs, or dust storms. Tucson gets the rain and Phoenix gets the grit! You don't want to be caught in an Arizona dust storm.

#181 7 years ago

Ordered my shirt. I'm hoping it arrives by tomorrow so I can wear it a Arcade Expo 3.0

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Not all, but most up through Vancouver going counterclockwise from Texas. Doing the west coast now.
    Was going to hit you up for a visit (thanks for offering!), but the Crabtowne Pinball Club folks nabbed me before I got Delaware locked in. Will be spending a couple of days with them in Baltimore before hitting north Jersey.

What are the Crabtown dates?
    I will go there for that!

#183 7 years ago

Actually should be the following Friday/Saturday after your stop.

#184 7 years ago

Greetings Fellow Nic Supporters and E.M. Appreciators!

I chime in to mention that our 10th t-shirt pre-order just rolled into my inbox, which means we will DEFINITELY be printing these T-shirts!!!

NicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpgNicsTourShirtMock2 (resized).jpg

All that to say, if you were on the fence about committing to a shirt-purchase without knowing whether or not they'd be produced, now all doubt can be removed! ...however, we do not have plans to print additional shirts, so this is the time to purchase if you're interested. Once again, you can head over to:

http://www.elephanteater.com/12440

...for all the details on pricing, shipping, and order placement.

Thanks, again, for your interest, guys. I look forward to printing these and sending them out.

P.S. One more week until pre-orders close.

Best,
    Ryan Claytor
    Artist and Order Fulfiller

#185 7 years ago

Hi Nic and all,

Beyond schematics and the stealth led recommendations (some out of stock at comet) what should I include on my next Marco/PBR order to have on hand for your visit? I've got most of the common pinball tools/rubbers/bulbs/cleaning products, but should I stock up parts like coils, sleeves, stops, springs, flipper parts, pop-bumper parts, or any number of other commonly wearing/breaking EM stuff?

Working on operational (mostly anyways) mid-60s Ballys Surfers, Bazaar, Magic Circle, and Williams 4 Roses. I'm new to working on them beyond cleaning PF so have no idea what most people keep on hand for their EM machines.

Also if anyone within a few hours of DC wants to sell me a Sheba, Grand/Happy Tour, Surf Side, Beat the Clock, Wild Wheels, or Reserve please let me know.

What a tour it's going to be!
    thanks
    George

#186 7 years ago

I think it would be cool to have Nic give out some "awards" after he is done with the tour. All in the name of fun, of course.

Hardest place to find
    Coolest dog/cat
    Best meal(s)
    Likeliest place to see Bigfoot
    First place I would like to revisit
    Best sleeping quarters
    Toughest fix
    Easiest fix
    Coolest machine worked on
    Hottest wife

(Okay, not really the last one, but you get the idea.)

#187 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I think it would be cool to have Nic give out some "awards" after he is done with the tour. All in the name of fun, of course.

Coolest dog/cat

What? Pet Ferrets don't count?

#188 7 years ago

It's wasn't meant to be a complete list.

#189 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

No. They smell like piss.

#190 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I knew someone who had an all white one with red eyes it looked like a rat on acid

#191 7 years ago
    Quoted from JustageFehler:

Hi Nic and all,
    Beyond schematics and the stealth led recommendations (some out of stock at comet) what should I include on my next Marco/PBR order to have on hand for your visit? I've got most of the common pinball tools/rubbers/bulbs/cleaning products, but should I stock up parts like coils, sleeves, stops, springs, flipper parts, pop-bumper parts, or any number of other commonly wearing/breaking EM stuff

Coils usually aren't necessary however a number of 60's/early 70's Bally flipper coils are often weak. If so I recommend replacing with this... AF-25-500/28-1000.

Always good to have ample coil sleeves (for score reels, standard coils, and longer drop target/chime banks), q-tips, and isopropyl alcohol on hand. I'll have most other things.

If your pop bumper light sockets are crusty that's a good time to replace them along with new skirts and pop bodies/caps if need be.

One tool I recommend everyone get is a Dremel (preferably w/lithium-ion battery) with carbon steel brush tip #443.

Quoted from JustageFehler:

Working on operational (mostly anyways) mid-60s Ballys Surfers, Bazaar, Magic Circle, and Williams 4 Roses. Also if anyone within a few hours of DC wants to sell me a Sheba, Grand/Happy Tour, Surf Side, Beat the Clock, Wild Wheels, or Reserve please let me know.
    What a tour it's going to be!
    thanks
    George

Hot damn this is going to be awesome. I love mid-60's Ballys and Williams... and your want list has some killer choices in there.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Hardest place to find
    Coolest dog/cat
    Best meal(s)
    Likeliest place to see Bigfoot
    First place I would like to revisit
    Best sleeping quarters
    Toughest fix
    Easiest fix
    Coolest machine worked on
    Hottest wife
    (Okay, not really the last one, but you get the idea.)

I like it! Was already planning to do a profile of each stop if desired as well...

Host name:
    Favorite EM:
    Winner of best 2-out-of-3 on favorite:
    Want list:
    How did you get started in the hobby?

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

carbon steel brush tip #443

What sort of things do you do with that tip? I have some and have never tried them.

For cleaning contacts, I love Dremel 538-02 Nylon Brushes because they are non-conductive and don't shed as much as steel or brass brushes.

http://a.co/7lrWxeL

#194 7 years ago

Yep, #443 for burnishing/cleaning contacts. It doesn't shed and is compact enough to fit in tight spaces at nearly any angle. Also gentler than sandpapering and leaves a smoother surface (although sometimes I will sand and then burnish if some resurfacing is necessary).

Those pinwheely-type attachments often send bits flying into my eyeglasses or skin and aren't as maneuverable. I usually prefer miniature sanding flapwheels (only when serious work is afoot!).

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from sscharf:

That's a shame. You should put Spokane back on your map. Maybe next time!

I was really hoping to see that part of Washington for the first time. Next trip (if I survive this one!) will certainly get you in the loop.

#196 7 years ago

Nico, on your way back home from this insane trip, why not keep heading east to OKC? We could use some EM love here.

#197 7 years ago

An "encore loop" is definitely in order. My plan is to return by the end of July... take a flight to Pittsburgh for ReplayFX (insane! how much is enough?!?)... and then return for another pinball tour within the middle of the USA.

#198 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

An "encore loop" is definitely in order. My plan is to return by the end of July... take a flight to Pittsburgh for ReplayFX (insane! how much is enough?!?)... and then return for another pinball tour within the middle of the USA.

Be sure to text me about that beer when you pass thru Salem, Oregon...

#199 7 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

... and then return for another pinball tour within the middle of the USA.

You, my friend, are a glutton. Looking forward to puttin' you up in Michigan.

#200 7 years ago

thanks for the tool tips! Am I looking for the 8220 Dremel or will the 7300 Dremel be sufficient for the contacts?

BTW while we're at it, few other cleaning questions:
    for playfield plastic posts and metal screws do you recommend plastic posts in a mesh bag in dishwasher, by hand in bowl, or something else?
    And for metal playfield screws tumbler, ultrasonic, or something else?
    light rust on legs- vinegar or evaporust or something else?
    coindoor polishing?
    Krylock backglass or avoid?

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.