(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 48.
    #1801 6 years ago

wasnt terribly impressed with their fries at first but now love 'em. can't have a double double without them.

#1802 6 years ago

Zingerman's has great tasting sandwiches, but you pay for them. Also, they are relatively new. The age and patina of the building gives the illusion that it is as old as the University. But, it didn't even exist when my sister attended U of M.

#1803 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Zingerman's has great tasting sandwiches, but you pay for them. Also, they are relatively new. The age and patina of the building gives the illusion that it is as old as the University. But, it didn't even exist when my sister attended U of M.

^^^Arguments from from the M&B contingent. You also hear that Zingerman’s is elitist, somehow.

If we didn’t argue about “important” things like french fries and deli sandwiches, what would do all day?

#1804 6 years ago

Politely discuss the use of colored LEDs?

#1805 6 years ago

I rarely eat burgers, but the best I can recall during a pinball trip was at Cherry Cricket in Denver. It was packed! I feared the crowds might be due to overhyped Yelp ratings or tourism... but nope. Just darn good burgers!

Not a fan of In-N-Out fries at all. Too doughy and flavorless.

#1806 6 years ago

I don’t know how often you go to Fort Worth but there is a place over there by the Navy base called Kincaid’s they have a really good hamburger. They are in a old grocery store and you order from like a old meat market counter. Haven’t been their in years but always stoped by there a few times when I was in the area working.

If your ever in Minnesota and have chance stop by the Lions Tap in Eden Prairie. All the serve is burgers fries and beer (soda and water to). Back in the day their clam was that there meat is never frozen always fresh.

#1807 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Politely discuss the use of colored LEDs?

...and mods.

#1808 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have a real fondness for Foster Freeze's crinkle cut seasoned fries

I was wondering if Foster's Freeze might be extinct: they were a 2nd. fiddle @ El Pollo Loco locations in SoCal, until EPL cut them loose entirely, a year or two ago. That did not appear to be a good sign, and I haven't seen any trace of them around here since. The one I miss is the now vanished Baja Fresh -- back from when at least some of them were pretty good. (If you can believe online reviews to any degree, consistency among their locations was not a strong suit.) Better than most of their competitors, at least.

If any longtime Angelenos are reading this, can you remind me the name of the smaller but far superior taco / burrito chain that got bought up and then extinguished by Del Taco ? I believe it began with a "J" (something like 'Jalisco', maybe ?), and they had locations in The Valley. This could have gone down in the mid-80s or 90's ? Per news reports at the time, Del supposedly wanted some of their recipes, to which I say BS: they wanted those locations and those leases, and for a competitor to Go Away. Such are the realities of Business.

#1809 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'd love to do the big reveal right now, but there are a few last-minute business details being sorted out. So far, we are on target for a full disclosure in two weeks on the 9th.

This has been teased as effectively as any peekaboo ad campaign, or the news story hinted at in the beginning of a news broadcast, but you just know they will barely manage to squeeze it in near the very end. The WORST is when you watch the whole half-hour or hour to catch said item, and they never did get to it -- which happens. (CNN does this, and not so infrequently, either.) Another reason why the DVR was a great invention !

#1810 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

If any longtime Angelenos are reading this, can you remind me the name of the smaller but far superior taco / burrito chain that got bought up and then extinguished by Del Taco ? I believe it began with a "J" (something like 'Jalisco', maybe ?), and they had locations in The Valley. This could have gone down in the mid-80s or 90's ? Per news reports at the time, Del supposedly wanted some of their recipes, to which I say BS: they wanted those locations and those leases, and for a competitor to Go Away. Such are the realities of Business.

Naugles.

#1811 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

The one I miss is the now vanished Baja Fresh -- back from when at least some of them were pretty good. (If you can believe online reviews to any degree, consistency among their locations was not a strong suit.) Better than most of their competitors, at least.

While the Baja Fresh locations in Michigan all closed a few years ago, I ate at one a few weeks ago at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas (Delta Airlines terminal near the gate areas).
    The Burrito Ultimo was just as good as I remember them from years ago. Only about $11.00 with a drink which is only $2.00 more than at the stand-alone locations a few years ago.

I think there are a few by their corporate office in Orange County.

#1812 6 years ago

"Nic's North American Hamburger Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix you burgers!)

#1813 6 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

"Nic's North American Hamburger Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix you burgers!)

LOL yes all of the anticipation over what's coming next is making people hungry.

So, eh, no comments on the Asylum collection? Anybody played Eclipse?

#1814 6 years ago

I've played Eclipse (but I prefer Black Hole). Eclipse felt a bit too easy to me - and I'm not a good player.

#1815 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I love mine. Great game and not as aggravating as black hole

#1816 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The Pinball Asylum in Fort Myers, FL.

Nic, do you have contact information?

Plan on flying into Fort Myers this spring and it would be nice to check out.

#1817 6 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

Nic, do you have contact information?
    Plan on flying into Fort Myers this spring and it would be nice to check out.

PM sent

Anyone else curious to know more check out their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/PinballAsylum/

#1818 6 years ago

Mayor McCheese played out the end game where the Hamburglar lead to the downfall of the kiddie clown. What you do about it is of course up to you. Good luck with all the fish.

#1819 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I love mine. Great game and not as aggravating as black hole

Yep, your Eclipse was the one that hooked me!

#1820 6 years ago

Meanwhile... it’s time for a hint about the future of the pinball tour...

I will continue to make smaller local trips to fix/teach others in my spare time.

I will be responsible for providing a public venue with pinball to play and lots of fun promotions and contests. Some of my own personal collection will be leveraged into the mix.

I will be hosting group classes to strengthen the “EM army” on a semi-regular basis in an awesome facility.

I made the Pinburgh tournament list and will be making the journey there in July. If I don’t see you at TPF next month, hope to see you at ReplayFX.

#1821 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Meanwhile... it’s time for a hint about the future of the pinball tour...
    I will continue to make smaller local trips to fix/teach others in my spare time.
    I will be responsible for providing a public venue with pinball to play and lots of fun promotions and contests. Some of my own personal collection will be leveraged into the mix.
    I will be hosting group classes to strengthen the “EM army” on a semi-regular basis in an awesome facility.
    I made the Pinburgh tournament list and will be making the journey there in July. If I don’t see you at TPF next month, hope to see you at ReplayFX.

Pacific pinball museum? Hmm, would be a good fit.........
    https://www.pacificpinball.org/

#1822 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Pacific pinball museum? Hmm, would be a good fit.........
    https://www.pacificpinball.org/

As would Seattle pinball museum.... http://www.seattlepinballmuseum.com/

Have to keep the discussion open at least until Friday.

#1823 6 years ago

Well might as well add one from Virginia then.
    https://www.roanokepinball.org/

#1824 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

comments on the Asylum collection

Definitely an eclectic collection with a few rare pins mixed in.
    Not sure I really like the truly hodge podge arrangement of pins,
    Something inside of me would want to shift them around to some other sort of order.
    Wish I could have found a (inexpensive) building to permanently house my collection back in the day.

#1825 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Pacific pinball museum?

Quoted from BorgDog:

As would Seattle pinball museum..

Quoted from SirScott:

Well might as well add one from Virginia then.

I am thinking Pinball Molly's @ Pins & Needles in So Cal.....???

#1826 6 years ago

Thanks for that. Could not recall the name, but I did remember it being rather good. I have a similar query for anyone who knew the La Mesa area well, circa 1975. [If Yelp or Urban Spoon or some site like that had a section for answering historical restaurant questions like this, I would inquire there, rather than going off-topic here. If you know of such a site, please let me know.]

In Post 1811, Mr. Bally wrote:
    "While the Baja Fresh locations in Michigan all closed a few years ago, I ate at one a few weeks ago at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas"

I'm slightly fascinated by how a few scattered stragglers manage to survive, even after a chain seems to have gone belly up. (We still have a "Radio Shack" open here, still using the old corporate signage -- even though it's not really the RS of old. Which may be a good thing, depending on how you look at it.) If you never saw it, "The Founder" starring Michael Keaton is quite interesting. He plays Ray Kroc, who may not have *invented* franchising, but was certainly instrumental in its development. The goal was to insure a reliable, repeatable, unitary customer experience, whether the location you walked into was in Albuquerque or Kalamazoo. That, and a system for optimal production efficiency. If any owners deviated from the standards set by corporate, they were in danger of losing their franchise rights.

#1827 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

LOL yes all of the anticipation over what's coming next is making people hungry.

I agree with pinwiztom about the arrangement of those pins. Several of the titles mentioned can be found at Banning, I think. Haven't played some of them, but now that you have called them to our attention, I will make a point of looking for them.

pinwiztom also noted:
    "I am thinking Pinball Molly's @ Pins & Needles in So Cal.....???"

I regret that that venue did not exist, back when I lived in L.A. It's definitely on my list to visit, whenever I might get back there. (But I would not feel comfortable parking a nice car in that neighborhood . . . . )

And finally, you mentioned:
    "I made the Pinburgh tournament list and will be making the journey there in July."

In our conversations, it did not sound as though you had much interest in tournament competition ? But I expect you would be good at it. That said, the level of competition seems to get steeper every year. (Or am I just imagining that ?) And then a 13 year old kid comes along and wins PAPA, and I just have to wonder.

#1828 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Thanks for that. Could not recall the name, but I did remember it being rather good.

Glad to help. I think everyone was thrilled with the food-related thread-jack here!

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming...

#1829 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am thinking Pinball Molly's @ Pins & Needles in So Cal.....???

Yeah, good call. I need to visit Molly's next trip down that way

#1830 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

So, eh, no comments on the Asylum collection?

That Cyclopes looks interesting! Such a risque backglass/theme and the cyclop is drooling too. Dare I ask why he's drooling?

#1831 6 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

Different strokes my man. It’s all good, though.
    In your neck of the woods, I’m a Zingerman’s kind of guy, but people will fight me on that vs. Maize and Blue.

You're all wrong Amer's is Ann Arbors best deli sandwich.

#1832 6 years ago

78B4B23F-D945-48FE-9EB3-BB9BD289D84B (resized).jpeg78B4B23F-D945-48FE-9EB3-BB9BD289D84B (resized).jpeg

Meanwhile... Darth Nico is prepping Old Chicago for the show.

28586C67-70D2-4B02-803E-A1723848A629 (resized).jpeg28586C67-70D2-4B02-803E-A1723848A629 (resized).jpeg

#1833 6 years ago

If you were closer I'd give you a hand.

Looks like a chemical strip job so you better be wearing that respirator, I prefer sanding when possible.

#1834 6 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

Looks like a chemical strip job so you better be wearing that respirator, I prefer sanding when possible.

I much prefer Chemical strip to sanding cabinets. No lead paint dust that way.

I take it that you got the Pinball pimp stencil kit?

#1835 6 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

First... and last chem-strip. Takes multiple passes, messy, stinks (when respirator off), and sucks.

Going to sand tomorrow. F this.

Quoted from dasvis:

I take it that you got the Pinball pimp stencil kit?

38742625-E2DC-4F4E-A868-5DCB467825F3 (resized).jpeg38742625-E2DC-4F4E-A868-5DCB467825F3 (resized).jpeg

No lead on Old Chicago or 2001. Sanding ahoy!

Yep, got the pimp stencils for OC and my pal Nick at Multiforms (who did the excellent stenciling on Snow Derby and 2001 @ TPF 2016) is cutting another 2001 stencil.

#1836 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

No lead on Old Chicago or 2001. Sanding ahoy!
    Yep, got the pimp stencils for OC and my pal Nick at Multiforms (who did the excellent stenciling on Snow Derby and 2001 @ TPF 2016) is cutting another 2001 stencil.

Great!
    Personally, I don't mind the smell.

My Old Chicago repaint really turned out nice, I'm sure yours will too - the wife even lets me keep it in the family room.

#1837 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

It will work either way, but I prefer to never use a chemical stripper on any porous surface; it comes from my automotive background and with 8 or 6 inch air operated DA sanders I can knock down the old finish pretty fast, even after stripping you need to do some sanding.

It's definitely personal preferance but it looks like Nic will be samding next time.

#1838 6 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

...even after stripping you need to do some sanding...

Yep. I learned this new wonderful lesson today.

#1839 6 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

You're all wrong Amer's is Ann Arbors best deli sandwich.

I will be sure to check it out the next time I'm in town for a game!

#1840 6 years ago

Just caught up on the last 100 posts or so. Lord have mercy. That was a lot of burger and fries talk. *phew*

Also...

Quoted from NicoVolta:

I can't argue with the sheer outer space coolness of Black Hole, but, um... I prefer Eclipse.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

I've played Eclipse (but I prefer Black Hole).

...this came as a surprise to absolutely no one. *LOL* When's the podcast battle, guys?

#1841 6 years ago

New England has been clamoring for a pinball tour encore, so I’ll make sure to include Mr. Baldridge in the loop for a serious nuts-n-bolts podcast.

It will be fun to see if we have any common ground whatsoever in terms of the kinds of gameplay we like. Funny how we are both heavily into EM’s yet never seem to agree on our favorites!

#1842 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Just caught up on the last 100 posts or so. Lord have mercy. That was a lot of burger and fries talk. *phew*
    Also...

...this came as a surprise to absolutely no one. *LOL* When's the podcast battle, guys?

I always found Black Hole interesting, challenging, baffling. And there is no denying the coolness of that 3D backglass. Would really welcome some guide on how best to play it, as I basically have little clue. And wasn't this pin said to be a maintenance nightmare, with various standard components that really should be replaced with later, less trouble-prone equivalents ?

#1843 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It will be fun to see if we have any common ground whatsoever in terms of the kinds of gameplay we like. Funny how we are both heavily into EM’s yet never seem to agree on our favorites!

Haha, I agree! I'm hoping that we can discuss and play some of my faves as well. Did I mention I have a bank of seven Sweet Hearts lined up beside each other?

nah, I don't have any Sweet Hearts, but I do like that game.

Quoted from Heretic_9:

And wasn't this pin said to be a maintenance nightmare, with various standard components that really should be replaced with later, less trouble-prone equivalents ?

Nothing too crazy, but it is a big, heavy cab. There are some recommended service things to do to make it more reliable. As one might expect, having a ball travel vertically from lower playfield to upper is the most difficult challenge, and there are a few things that you can do to prevent issues if a ball gets stuck on the upkicker. Same stuff for Haunted House. That said, I've never owned one of either title, just worked on 'em.

#1844 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

I always found Black Hole interesting, challenging, baffling. And there is no denying the coolness of that 3D backglass. Would really welcome some guide on how best to play it, as I basically have little clue. And wasn't this pin said to be a maintenance nightmare, with various standard components that really should be replaced with later, less trouble-prone equivalents ?

Yes, a maintenance nightmare being a rout technician both when Black Hole and Haunted House were new. Stuck balls galore and fried coils on both. Not overfused, but mysterious coils locked on causing multiple burnt coils. Then the EOS stack plastic pointed spacer "blade". They both sucked. Sure as shit, 10:30 pm on a Sunday night I'd make my last call-in; Bel-Mark Lanes, (30 miles, each way from my home at the time) Black Hole, OOO (Out Of Order). We had to make the run.

Although I didn't have to move machines from our shop to locations (when the money was flowing, we had five guys who moved machines, and they did not have Escalaras or Lectro-Trucks); us technicians had to move machines to work on them. No dollies, just lifting, pulling and dragging. Those Gottlieb heavyweight pins sucked.

Then came M*a*c*h*3 ; What could possibly go wrong there?

#1845 6 years ago

-and now, a moment from our sponsors (not really)-

B9C02060-AD61-4A01-B6EB-A4603108FCF7 (resized).jpegB9C02060-AD61-4A01-B6EB-A4603108FCF7 (resized).jpeg

“Hi everyone! Whenever I spend all day making pinball dreams come true, I like to refresh with a cold Key Lime La Croix sparkling water!

Zero calories, zero sweeteners, zero sodium... and yet it’s fizzy and sweet! HOW DO THEY DO IT?”

I don’t know, but this is one helluva massive upgrade over -every- soda and diet soda on the planet. Try one today!

~Nic, your friendly internet pinball tech

(this Genie is heading to TPF!)

#1846 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, a maintenance nightmare being a rout technician both when Black Hole and Haunted House were new. Stuck balls galore and fried coils on both. Not overfused, but mysterious coils locked on causing multiple burnt coils. Then the EOS stack plastic pointed spacer "blade". They both sucked. Sure as shit, 10:30 pm on a Sunday night I'd make my last call-in; Bel-Mark Lanes, (30 miles, each way from my home at the time) Black Hole, OOO (Out Of Order). We had to make the run.

Can't say it's a surprise to hear this. On pretty much every visit I've made to PHOF, the BH was turned Off, designated for service, with the manual prominently in view under the glass. At Banning, both BH & HH have been likely to be seen ditto, although their tech corps seem to be more on top of things as a rule, and with a better system in place: problems are frequently specifically identified on a form on the machine, down to parts that may be on order. I'm sure that must help with a larger collection.

Too bad, since I happen to like both games. Their distinctive features did not seem like mere gimmicks to me. But I never had much clue on what best to do (or not to do) in playing Haunted House, either.

#1847 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

-and now, a moment from our sponsors (not really)-

“Hi everyone! Whenever I spend all day making pinball dreams come true, I like to refresh with a cold Key Lime La Croix sparkling water!
    Zero calories, zero sweeteners, zero sodium... and yet it’s fizzy and sweet! HOW DO THEY DO IT?”
    I don’t know, but this is one helluva massive upgrade over -every- soda and diet soda on the planet. Try one today!
    ~Nic, your friendly internet pinball tech
    (this Genie is heading to TPF!)

Nice looking genie nic! I have tried the tangerine flavor and wasn’t impressed. I’ll give your recommendation a try.

#1848 6 years ago

i like the la croix drinks but i definitely wouldn't call them sweet, to me there's no sweetness at all especially in comparison to soda. around here they get mixed with spirits.

#1849 6 years ago

It's not quite the next Friday yet (and we'll know the Oscar winners before we know where Nic will be landing), but I'm gonna post this -- reluctantly -- in advance of the next clue drop.

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/newser-this_state_has_the_best_quality_of_life-rnewsernor

As a longtime Californian, I have to vehemently disagree ! Their "top 5" states are fine, if you happen to be a moose ! There are many other factors I'm sure they did not factor in. If you're out on the prairie, unencumbered by too many humans and vehicles and with relatively cleaner air, BUT the nearest hospital is 60 freakin' miles away, isn't that a quality of life issue too ?! I could add plenty of other examples about climate, about work and recreational opportunities, to say nothing of the local Pinfrastructure (hey, I like that . . . and no debt to DJT, either . . . ), which casts all this in a rather different light.

#1850 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

It's not quite the next Friday yet (and we'll know the Oscar winners before we know where Nic will be landing), but I'm gonna post this -- reluctantly -- in advance of the next clue drop.

http://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/newser-this_state_has_the_best_quality_of_life-rnewsernor

Agreed.. that is absurd. Who wrote that article? Recruiters for the fracking and wool clothing industries? Brrrrr!

Tell you what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna break the news a day early for Pinsiders, because y'all are awesome. The others will find out tomorrow.

Next post in 3... 2... 1...

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/37?hl=benb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.