(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 48.
    #1351 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Can you recommend a smaller magic brush that I can use on the female end of jones plugs

Pinrestore has a 3/16" steel brush that might work if you don't mind doing it manually:

http://pinrestore.com/Brushes.html

#1352 6 years ago

Hi Nic. You list the "Pin Wrench" in your tool list (a flex head ratcheting wrench 5/8 & 9/16ths). Could you comment how important you think the flex head part of it is? Also, only place I can find for sale is Marco - is that true? (Thanks)

#1353 6 years ago

Flexible head is quite useful for removing backbox bolts. Not as much for the cabinet, but still welcome.

I bought mine from eBay... looks like some are still available there. Search for pinwrench pinball.

#1356 6 years ago

Psst... if you're in the Carolina loop and would like a visit, let me know. Planning a "Lil Carolina Run" in a couple of weeks!

Thinking we might do a group class on the 28th and/or 29th.

carolinarun (resized).jpgcarolinarun (resized).jpg

#1357 6 years ago

What did ya find in NC for sale??? LOL!

#1358 6 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

What did ya find in NC for sale??? LOL!

Hahaha... good guess! Not buying anything this time. Looping in a family trip & would also like to visit the Asheville Pinball Museum.

Then again, you never know. Games do tend to pop up! Generally only focused on the ones in my wish list at this point.

#1359 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Asheville Pinball Museum.

check out the biltmore estate while you're there.

#1360 6 years ago

The .177 barrel brush works, but it's a little "heavy duty" and you risk damage if it binds up. I use a brush that was designed for cleaning out pipe stems-- the wire the brush is made with isn't as thick, and it's a bit more flexible. I cut off the loop at the end of the handle, solder it to keep it from unraveling (probably unnecessary), wrap the end in tape, and use it in a cordless drill.

https://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Cleaning-Brush-Tobacco-Stainless/dp/B00BXU6E8I

#1361 6 years ago

Some of the barrel cleaning kits come with brass, nylon and mop brushes. That seems like a good option to work down depending on the level of crud you're starting with. Then just buzz them with the nylon brush and mop/IPA every so often.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1362 6 years ago

I'm also researching Molex-style replacements for Bally games. The connectors are so flaky and failure-prone that it might be better to replace them outright for assured connectivity.

#1363 6 years ago

Well, you -can- do this, but then you're left with all the downsides of Molex connectors. I prefer Jones Plugs, myself.

You can clean them, you can easily separate them, and they only need a portion of overall connector area to function in a 50v system.

Molex connectors cannot be cleaned. You would need to key them differently to prevent mishaps. And you're increasing the likelihood of a failure due to bad crimp or other mechanical issue with the replacement. A bit of dirt will cause the connector to heat or fail.

In short: if you do do this, keep the original plugs in the game (so if I buy it later I can switch it back).

The Bally connectors are fine if you don't use all the strength of Hercules to rip them out (no twisting as you pull and use two hands). I've had the odd tab or two break, just replace the plug. Not the end of the world.

#1364 6 years ago

On the Bally ones I like re-using old rings around them (an idea I saw in another thread), defo gives the female clip a bit more snap.

Hey, Nic this thread has introduced me to maker/hack spaces - I'd never heard of them and we have loads in the UK, my local group meets a few mins walk from my back gate.

20170812_184032 (resized).jpg20170812_184032 (resized).jpg

#1365 6 years ago

After cleaning Jones plugs be sure to firmly push in on all of the female ends before re-inserting the male plugs. You will get a tighter fit with better contact.

#1366 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

You will get a tighter fit with better contact.

Plus a self-cleaning wiping action.

#1367 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm also researching Molex-style replacements for Bally games. The connectors are so flaky and failure-prone that it might be better to replace them outright for assured connectivity.

Want to start with my Night Rider with the crispy connector? lol

#1368 6 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Well, you -can- do this, but then you're left with all the downsides of Molex connectors. I prefer Jones Plugs, myself.
    You can clean them, you can easily separate them, and they only need a portion of overall connector area to function in a 50v system.
    Molex connectors cannot be cleaned. You would need to key them differently to prevent mishaps. And you're increasing the likelihood of a failure due to bad crimp or other mechanical issue with the replacement. A bit of dirt will cause the connector to heat or fail.
    In short: if you do do this, keep the original plugs in the game (so if I buy it later I can switch it back).
    The Bally connectors are fine if you don't use all the strength of Hercules to rip them out (no twisting as you pull and use two hands). I've had the odd tab or two break, just replace the plug. Not the end of the world.

Argh... good points. If a coil locks on it'll melt the connector. Ugh.

Is there no plug-style connector which improves upon the original design? Mostly the Bally connectors are the ones I'm most concerned with. I've seen more than a few plugged in correctly, and clean, and with no broken tabs, and STILL didn't get a good connection without a little fussing with it.

#1369 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I've seen more than a few plugged in correctly, and clean, and with no broken tabs, and STILL didn't get a good connection without a little fussing with it.

Generally, that's from past abuse. As Dennis recommended above, unplug then gently squeeze the outside. Should last for another decade or two. The issue is mechanical - it's not making good physical connection, so can't make good electrical connection.

Now, if the game has heated up considerably, the male bakelite plane will warp.

The same problem occurs with Bally fuse blocks. I'm not such a stickler for originality there.... Keep in mind that issues with the plugs may actually be issues with the fuses. I really hope that fuse block design saved Bally a ton of money...

If it's really bad, replace the plug. No, they're not making any more, but there are parts out there at the moment.

Jones Plugs, in general are really quite nice. They are easy to unplug/replug, easy to clean, and easy to replace. I have never seen an improvement to that design. In my opinion, the only downside is the space needed to house the plugs. You should see the inside of the Multi-Bingo. More plugs than a standard bingo - I put them everywhere available. I use the Bally style Jones Plugs throughout. 'Course, we're talking 12V vs 50V, but this is a 'new' game build. Bally connectors have their strong points - namely, when you have solid mechanical connection, they are quite good. Multiple points of connection (at the through-hole, at the inside tab, at the outside tab) make them pretty good even if the mechanical connection is starting to fail, too.

Prior to Jones Plugs, games used metal fingers that would mate with metal planes on another piece, like a playfield or a coin door. These fingers would break or touch and would also allow probing fingers to get shocked easily. Jones Plugs were a big advancement.

#1370 6 years ago

Chicago visit #5 -> Encore trip to Bob Mlsna’s pinball farm (and Pinball Life) in Rockford, IL

The subject: Nip-It, Boomerang, Ringer, Bank Shot, Total Nuclear Annihilation

Well geez… it’s about time we finished up the Chicago Loop entries, eh? Especially since we had our first encore visit with Bob Mlsna on the pinball farm!

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

Bob may own a Bally Nip-It, but this doesn’t necessarily mean he will be raising alligators next… right, Bob? If so, I’ll have to give that third trip a bit more consideration.

As a successful entrepreneur in the HVAC business, Bob has a secret pinball superpower which allows him to pick up games on the cheap. He frequents many businesses and homes as part of his route and thus has an inside track to spy pinball machines lingering in the shadows before they hit Craigslist.

Well-played, sir… well-played.

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

Remember to manually advance your score reels to the number 1 before pressing start to check how well they are turning. If one (or more) lags behind the others, you know which one to service first!

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

Three cheers for Bally reels! They are the best. No metal sliding armatures which get stuck. No “circuit sandwich” to open up and clean. It’s all right there… adjust it, clean it, boom! All done.

However, those backbox lamp sockets are a different story. Crappy to work with, crappy to replace! But if you’ve got the time, use ½” bracket lamp sockets and raise the height of affected mechs and plugs with wooden blocks. You’ll have the best brightest Bally backbox bulbs in the bidness, bub.

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

Bob spotted a cooked step-up bonus coil underneath Boomerang. Was it the problem? Sure was.

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

Bob recommends the Klein Tools 6-in-1 extended shaft screwdriver for general pinball duty. It’s comfy, heavy-duty, and has good reach for about $15. Seeing as how Bob is an experienced HVAC guy who has crawled through many an attic, I’m pretty sure I can trust him on this one.

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

Don’t you just love those before-and-after photos with the Magic Brush 443 Dremel tool? Are you using one yet? For heaven’s sake don’t wait for Christmas! The gleaming contacts await!

7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

Yep, that’s how we like it. No sanding, no damage, no poor filed-down contacts… just smooth and shiny like new again. With a lightly brushed-on layer of Teflon lube for good measure.

8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG

One of the Bank Shot score reels was locking on. Do you see the issue?

9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

Aha! A missing EOS screw allowed the switch to rotate out of alignment. Which means it never opens. Which means the relay never disengages. Which means a stuck reel and stuck relay. Which means a smoking coil if the fuse doesn’t catch it… or worse!

10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG

Ew. We should see flexy-wire here, but instead we have a makeshift switch blade soldered to the wiper. It worked, but not very well. Can’t accept that. The disc was disassembled, cleaned, rivets polished, lightly Teflon’ed, and flexy-wire installed where it should be. Good as new again.

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

I was informed tonight’s meal was courtesy of “Pepper”. Thank you Pepper. You were even more delicious than Max. And no, I'm still not used to the idea of knowing the names of my meals...

While opening the wine selection for the evening, I accidentally broke Shannon’s trusty Rabbit-style opener which had been in service for many years. Oops. I was amazed it lasted that long because the hinge was flimsy plastic. So I replaced it with a Rogar Estate from eBay because, let’s face it, we can’t make a third trip without vino.

12 (resized).JPG12 (resized).JPG

Yum yum. Always a treat to break bread with these two.

13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG

But hey… we ain’t done yet! I invited Bob to join me for a tour of Pinball Life in nearby Huntley, IL.

Originally the plan was to visit Spooky HQ over in Benton, WI… but Scott’s prototype Total Nuclear Annihilation machine was at his office for some tweaking. So, Pinball Life it is!

21 (resized).JPG21 (resized).JPG

Aaaaand here is the mastermind behind this delicious 80’s retro-styled game: Mr. Scott Danesi, Esquire. A man who tirelessly tweaks, refines, and gives his pet project constant attention in the depths of the Pinball Life laboratory.

Total Nuclear Annihilation is very much a labor of love. Nearly everyone involved has worked long hours and put in extra effort to make it happen. That’s why TNA is such a special game: It’s got the love. All original, no sequel, back to basics pinball with new tech. And fun! Quite an uncommon sight in the world of commercial production… but indeed… it is real and it is worthy.

19 (resized).JPG19 (resized).JPG

Bob heard me gush about TNA but I wanted him to see it for himself. Verdict? AWESOME! “Got my blood pumping like crazy!”

16 (resized).JPG16 (resized).JPG

One of the most creative elements was the use of a single pop bumper. It almost seems like an afterthought until it engages the reactor sequence. At which point it springs into the foreground with a HELLO PAY ATTENTION or that ball is going down the drain! A perfect design example of “less is more”.

15 (resized).JPG15 (resized).JPG

The side rails are laser-etched with cabinet colors showing through. A nice retro touch without the LE price tag. In fact, there is no LE version of TNA. One size fits all. Everyone gets the complete game.

17 (resized).JPG17 (resized).JPG

So classic TRON… so awesome.

18 (resized).JPG18 (resized).JPG

The backbox houses a Zelda-esque triad of light. Also note the custom LED score displays. They are small but work well with the theme. Extra bonus points for the cassette tape credit screen.

Scott’s music is a perfect fit for the game. It’s rare to find a designer who also composes his own soundtrack.

20 (resized).JPG20 (resized).JPG

Pinball Life also produced a modern bagatelle game called Scoregasm Master with sound effects. It was never commercially advertised but can nevertheless be purchased by request. I believe enough parts remain to make about a dozen or so… some of which are pre-committed to the designers.

(yes, Scott is one of them)

You can see Scoregasm Master in play here:

22 (resized).JPG22 (resized).JPG

“Hey! Are you Nic?”

I knew what was coming next: A Ringer was open and already swiveled in my direction.

Luckily, I had the time and tools on hand… so why not? I cleaned a number of relays and switches and found a sticking latch plate. Removed it, flapwheel-sanded it smooth, and popped it back in. *boom* the horseshoes graced Pinball Life once more. Love me some Ringer!

Finally, before departing, I captured Scott earning a multiball round on TNA

Don’t forget to subscribe for the latest content. I’ll do my best to keep it coming.

Next stop -> Homeward bound via Tim (@wesailors4), Nick (@ngreenup), Mike (@MikeO), Dennis (@DennisK), and the Iowa 80 truck stop

#1371 6 years ago

That TNA looks cool!

And your second 'Ringer' sighting on this trip! Was it as nice as Rocket's?

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Don’t you just love those before-and-after photos with the Magic Brush 443 Dremel tool? Are you using one yet? For heaven’s sake don’t wait for Christmas! The gleaming contacts await!

Just got mine from Amazon last week! Still looking for my first EM to use it on though......

#1372 6 years ago

A homebrew title I'd not heard of shows up occasionally on the Pinside main page -- such as "Forbidden Planet", recently. So far, TNA goes unmentioned at IPDB. Is this pin actually being manufactured & sold -- at all ? Interesting YT video. Would have liked to see some close-up gameplay views included though.

#1373 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

A homebrew title I'd not heard of shows up occasionally on the Pinside main page -- such as "Forbidden Planet", recently. So far, TNA goes unmentioned at IPDB. Is this pin actually being manufactured & sold -- at all ? Interesting YT video. Would have liked to see some close-up gameplay views included though.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome

#1374 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Yes, in short over 195 sold already, the first few already out the door, spooky is a respected company with stellar customer service, and the game plays like a dream.

I have my personal game on route in Madison WI (ALT Brew 1808 Wright St) and in one short week I can already see it will be a route favorite.

#1375 6 years ago

2017 is the year of custom theme upset victories! Dialed In and TNA are the two best games released this year.

#1376 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

2017 is the year of custom theme upset victories! Dialed In and TNA are the two best games released this year.

What I really appreciate about both of these games is that they do not rely on licensed themes. Good old school pick a theme and make some original art pinball.

#1377 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What I really appreciate about both of these games is that they do not rely on licensed themes. Good old school pick a theme and make some original art pinball.

I could not agree more! I appreciate them having a bit of imagination as oppose to copy and pasting licensed themes all over a machine.

#1378 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I can scarcely wait to check these out ! Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any instances of them in the general vicinity, so far. I don't know WHY John Weeks (@ Banning) seems to have no interest at all in the JJP titles, yet chose to add the ultra-lame and pointless (and VERY over-priced: all in *my* opinion, at least) Stern Batman-66 to that fine collection. I'd really like to ask him.

#1379 6 years ago

close this topic out? its run its course, folks are talking now about modern pinballs and theme selection, etc. No longer really about the EM adventure that was a long time ago finished.

#1380 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

close this topic out? its run its course, folks are talking now about modern pinballs and theme selection, etc. No longer really about the EM adventure that was a long time ago finished.

No. He has a 3rd tour starting in a week.

#1381 6 years ago

with Nic doing his God given duties to make EMs work again, and again, and tour, it will be a long time then until this thread is done. Keep on Keepin' On!

#1382 6 years ago

There is always the option to drain the thread if it becomes tiresome. Otherwise it has always been about the EM's... always will be my favorite genre. The combination of mechanical action, electricity, classic art, and "less is more" gameplay just hits the sweet spot perfectly.

As long as people need help, I'll be happy to keep the knowledge rolling...

#1383 6 years ago

well if you are planning on a 3rd tour. I'll hurry up and get your field done.

#1384 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Psst... if you're in the Carolina loop and would like a visit, let me know. Planning a "Lil Carolina Run" in a couple of weeks!
    Thinking we might do a group class on the 28th and/or 29th.

For those that missed it, here are the details for the 3rd your.

#1385 6 years ago

carolinarun (resized).jpgcarolinarun (resized).jpg

Update: All slots for the upcoming 'Lil Carolina Run are full. We didn't have an opportunity for a group class this time, but we will have several new stops as well as two repeat visits... who could it be?

Tour three kicks off next Sunday!

#1386 6 years ago

Chicago visit #6 -> Homeward bound via Tim (@wesailors4), Nick (@ngreenup), Mike (@MikeO), Dennis (@DennisK), and the Iowa 80 truck stop

The subject: Ro-Go

As a traveling pinball vagabond, I never leave or come home empty-handed. I often trade and/or buy games on my want list during my travels across the country. Or facilitate trades for friends along the way.

A collector in Des Moines (Tim @wesailors4) and his wife Carrie had recently been bitten by the pinball bug… hard. They had amassed 10 pinball machines within the span of only a few months! Most of them EM’s.

Heat Wave was on Tim’s want list and our old pal Bryan (@1974DeltaQueen) had been looking for a Rancho, so why not hook them up?

0 (resized).JPG0 (resized).JPG

After dropping off Heat Wave and loading Rancho, Tim and Carrie showed me their pinball room w/Goonies and TMNT tees at the ready. They’ve certainly been busy collecting some nice titles! Of particular interest was a Gottlieb Surf Side sitting at the far edge of the room. It is one of the best 2-player Gottliebs ever made! The shark topper was an amusing touch.

At this rate it should be interesting to see how quickly Tim & Carrie’s collection grows and changes over the next couple of years!

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

On the way to Nick (@ngreenup), I passed through “Iowa 80”, America’s largest truck stop. I’d recently heard about it via an NPR podcast. It connects several major highways and thus serves a wide swath of people who serve our logistics infrastructure.

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

Iowa 80 was not unlike a small city unto itself. Floating antique cars hovered over souvenir shops, restaurants, and bars.

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

In the back, shower and laundry facilities were available. As well as a dentist, eye doctor, rooms for watching feature films, and storage lockers. It was fascinating to see how one could live a mobile existence like this in perpetuity.

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

Want to bling out your exhaust pipes with fresh chrome? Iowa 80 already has it waiting on the shelf for you.

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

A nagging question lingered while taking in the spectacle of it all: What will the advent of automated trucking and cars do to places like this?

Living on the road is a lifestyle for millions of people. However, statistics indicate that mobility has significantly declined for many Americans. We are staying in place more commonly than ever before. Partly due to the growth in inequality. Despite our robust economy, less of the spoils are getting to the middle class… and we increasingly get rooted wherever we are.

I’m keeping an eye on Iowa 80. Whatever happens here over the next few years may very well happen everywhere.

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

Kansas City, here we come! Nick (@ngreenup) stands at the ready with a schematic for Bally Ro-Go.

7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

Mark looks on as Nick rebuilds his first relay.

8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG

Jones plugs making good contact here? Bally made a lot of good parts but their connectors weren’t among them.

9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

Rob makes use of the sanding flapwheel attachment to smooth the backside of a relay ladder. It’s a “must do” step to prevent the latch from sticking.

10 (resized).JPG10 (resized).JPG

Magic brush time? Magic brush time. A gleaming contact is a happy contact.

11 (resized).JPG11 (resized).JPG

Hey… where are all the other pics? Regrettably lost… but we nevertheless ended the day with Ro-Go success. And no, Nick’s Time Fantasy is not for sale.

12 (resized).JPG12 (resized).JPG

To wrap-up the Chicago Lasso tour, Mike (@MikeO) was kind enough to host a ‘lil shindig at his place before I departed. He has a handful of nice games, both new and old, in his workshop/basement arcade.

Pictured here is Dennis (@DennisK) of Eclectic Gamers Podcast in full TPF regalia. He did not play his best Attack From Mars game and was soundly defeated… all in good fun, of course. Afterward, we enjoyed chatting about the pinball scene and the magic of multiplayer EM’s.

13 (resized).JPG13 (resized).JPG

A quick tool testimonial: Mike asked me if I’d ever seen a JBC soldering station. No clue… hadn’t seen one before.

Mike turned it on and touched a piece of solder to the tip. It melted instantly. No warmup… *click* ready to go. It was impressive. Clearly this is heavy-duty equipment versus hobbyist-level stuff. Keep an eye out for those JBC stations on eBay!

14 (resized).JPG14 (resized).JPG

And thus, we conclude our ‘Lil Carolina Run with fellow Pinsiders Kevin (@Kevin_Wing) and daughter Keri (@keriwing08), Dennis, Mike, and yours truly looking forward to another pinball adventure on the road.

Next trip to Kansas we’ll do a special EM-focused podcast and cover some of the highlights of NNAPT.

Upcoming trip -> ‘Lil Carolina Run – Oct 22 - Nov 3, 2017

#1387 6 years ago

Just returned from a business trip to Nashville; whow what a party place, all along Broadway every bar has a band playing all types of music, no cover charge what an experience. Also the Grand Ole Opry was a neat experience.

So if your tour takes you in that direction it may be a point of interest.

#1388 6 years ago

Nic, you've raved about multiplayer EMs thoughout your tour and I want to learn more details. I'm new to EMs myself and currently into mid-70's Gottlieb wedgeheads (single players lots of drops).

What is it about these multiplayers you speak of that you love so much and what are your top 3 favorite?

My knowledge is so limited that, at least in the Gottlieb world I'm aware of, multiplayer has become synonymous with games that reset all targets each ball which I'm not sure I like. Also I have almost no familiarity with Williams EMs.

I'm trying to broaden my horizons so want to pay more attention to these next show I go to. Thanks.

#1389 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Nic, you've raved about multiplayer EMs thoughout your tour and I want to learn more details. I'm new to EMs myself and currently into mid-70's Gottlieb wedgeheads (single players lots of drops).

That's a good era for the wedgies. Lots of drop targets and 3" flippers to choose from: Jacks Open, King Pin, and Volley is getting more love lately too.

My personal favorite wedge is 2001, by far. Maximum drops and superb flow - up, down, and all around. Compare it with the El Dorado layout which is less flow and more "up n' catch again" shots.

In terms of EM geometry, I prefer "flow" games (circular paths & figure-eights) to "target shooters" (angular V-shots mostly). This is one of the reasons why Total Nuclear Annihilation is so appealing to me. All EM fans should give it a try.

Quoted from spinal:

What is it about these multiplayers you speak of that you love so much and what are your top 3 favorite?

Of the ones I own, this is how I'd rank them today. Subject to change of course... but probably not by much:

Freedom prototype
    Old Chicago
    Skyrocket
    Expo
    Out Of Sight
    Sinbad
    Rancho
    Aztec
    Bow & Arrow
    Cleopatra
    Sheba
    Snow Derby
    Top Score

The NNAPT experience reminded me of the most important part of the hobby: US! To me, pinball is all about *the people* and *the shared social experience*, and that's where multiplayer EM's absolutely rule. They provide the maximum social experience possible in pinball, bar none!

Single-players, on the other hand, require everyone to wait for one person's game to end. Granted, this doesn't usually take very long on an EM versus the newer machines, but it's still long enough to break up the social interaction and invites distraction.

The biggest argument against multiplayer EM's is the "lack of carryover features" such as completing a set of cards or the 1-2-3-4-etc sequence on Atlantis. Generally, I don't find myself missing these features because the award is usually a special which really isn't a big deal on free play. However I do make an exception for Add-A-Ball games because the carryover features keep the game going strong on those. Which is why I have a strong preference for Lucky Hand over Jacks Open, Diamond Jack over King of Diamonds, and Flipper Fair (or Subway) over Cross Town... to name a few.

That being said, a lot of Add-A-Ball games can be unbalanced and too easy to play forever, so choose wisely!

It's actually a myth that multiplayer EM's lack carryover features. A number of them do such as 8-Ball, Solids N' Stripes, Surf Side, and a few others.

We live in an age of mega-powerful distractions (and economic inequality) which makes it almost impossible to have an organic re-humanizing experience with strangers without invoking alcohol and loud music. Even then, people are busy with their dating apps and phones and STILL may not ever connect. Whereas pinball, especially multiplayer EM's, provide a generous level of social interaction and can keep everyone engaged like almost nothing else can today.

Gotta love 'em just for that, eh?

My recommendation is to go for 2-player multis over the 4-player versions. 2p's are lighter, fewer reels to service, and with more artwork on the backglass. But of course some multiplayers were only made in 4-player versions... so we take what we can get... and 4p's tend to be more tournament-friendly which is something to consider.

Quoted from spinal:

My knowledge is so limited that, at least in the Gottlieb world I'm aware of, multiplayer has become synonymous with games that reset all targets each ball which I'm not sure I like. Also I have almost no familiarity with Williams EMs.

I suggest combing the IPDB year-by-year and search for Youtube videos of the ones which interest you. Seeing the games in motion helps a lot when evaluating the gameplay.

One of my favorite multiplayers is Out Of Sight/Far Out. It'll punish you for flailing away at the drops, or reward you for shooting carefully. It's kind of cool that the drops don't reset for this reason.

#1390 6 years ago

Nic, please learn and share, discuss and dissect the works of nearly 23+ years of the master from GTB that came, conquered and then vanished without much of a word about how he was disgusted. Your GTB games are all (as I recall) designed by him.

#1391 6 years ago

Nic, please learn and share, discuss and dissect the works of nearly 23+ years of the master from GTB that came, conquered and then vanished without much of a word about how he was disgusted. Your GTB games are all (as I recall) designed by him.

Ed Krynski was a designing madman! Over 200 games is an incredible achievement without which Gottlieb would not have ascended to the level of success that they did.

Every Gottlieb I've owned, or currently own, has been one of his creations. But, considering that he designed just about everything they manufactured from 1965 onward, that's hardly a coincidence.

It's currently beyond the scope of my knowledge to give Ed's career the analysis it deserves. He designed so many games that it is difficult to sum up what exactly makes one a "Krynski". Lots of excellent ones in Gottlieb's catalog but just as many so-so or poor titles. But perhaps this was unavoidable because of his high production output. He was designing nearly one game every month, and that's only counting the ones which were produced!

My personal favorite designer is Norm Clark. His portfolio is less than a third of what Krynski produced, but his style has a consistently recognizable flavor and features the most innovative ideas of his time. He's the Walt Disney of classic pinball design IMHO... a true "imagineer" when it came to dreaming up the craziest new possibilities.

#1392 6 years ago

Well folks, we're gearing up for the "Lil Carolina Run" starting this Sunday! Are we ready to get this show on the road again, or what?

FYI... I just sold my Top Score to a collector in New England. Here's a video of the gameplay...

It took a lot of work to get this one dialed in just right. Note the cabaret light mod under the top arch (bare bulbs, no color sleeves yet).

#1393 6 years ago

Beautiful machine Nic!

#1394 6 years ago

Tour three... engage! The "Lil Carolina Run" is on!

IMG_3838 (resized).JPGIMG_3838 (resized).JPG

#1395 6 years ago

Cool what you are doing, but some may think Fonzie's Jump the Shark. Keep On Keepin' On.

#1396 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

cool shirt, that from a Bally manual ?

#1397 6 years ago

Cool what you are doing, but some may think Fonzie's Jump the Shark. Keep On Keepin' On.

As long as the pinballs are in need, and the people waiting to play 'em... I'll keep this show on the road.

Quoted from chas10e:

cool shirt, that from a Bally manual ?

Not sure... I picked it up from Arcade Expo in Banning during the first year. Might be from a parts manual or created just for the tee. Either way, people who know what it is always give me the knowing smile.

#1398 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Like the shirt! Good luck! Drive safe, post lots of pics and have fun!

#1399 6 years ago

Next time you disassemble a ladder, will you post some pics? There seems to be so little room to get in on those relays.

#1400 6 years ago

Is there a “So you just got an EM, do these things” write up that Nic has done? I’m struggling to get the outhole to register in my Doodle Bug and I think it’s related to the score motor, but don’t know the best way to clean the switch stack. It seems to be making extra turns due to the “stop” switch not making a good connection.

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.