(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 48.
    #1151 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yep! I gotta make at least one more upper New England trip. Lots of NY folks and others I missed too.

Yes! With a quick stop in southern New England for wieners and coffee milk! lol

#1152 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Lafayette, IN has plenty of games and beds for you to come and visit if you are rolling through the midwest, we'd love to have you.

And cow-tipping is awesome.

#1153 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

And cow-tipping is awesome.

Hey now! You need to drive outside the city limits to find dem der cows you be talkin about! Thanks in large part to Purdue, CAT, Subaru and a few other large manufactures Lafayette is pretty civilized, now about 2.5 hours north where I grew up I may know a gent or two who spent some time cow tipping....my first ever trophy may even have been for a greased pig contest.

#1154 6 years ago

The pinball tour hit CBS this evening... and some of you are in it! Thanks much to Scott Jarrell of CBS KTVT for putting the piece together and Shawn Christian (@dallaspinball) for hosting from his pinball collection!

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/category/news-local-news/3710785-dallas-man-follows-his-pinball-passion-on-epic-road-trip/

FYI the YouTube link a few replies ahead provided by Jumping Box (Scott's Pinside account) is much better!

#1156 6 years ago

Great story, Nic!

#1157 6 years ago

Great positive exposure!

#1158 6 years ago

Great piece. I especially like the peek inside the machine's hinting at the wonder's of how these things works. Very fitting!

So often new bits and interviews make pinball out to be something retro or a forgotten trend. I like that there was no mention of that, just a pleasantly positive message about getting out of our digital world into the real world; Lemon aid with a slice of lemon meringue pie out of lemons.

Great job Nic.

#1159 6 years ago

Awesome Nic! I made the cut via a selfie at Allentown Pinfest!

#1160 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The pinball tour hit CBS this evening

That report turned out great!

#1161 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The pinball tour hit CBS this evening... and some of you are in it! Thanks much to Scott Jarrell of CBS KTVT for putting the piece together and Shawn Christian (dallaspinball) for hosting from his pinball collection!
    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/category/news-local-news/3710785-dallas-man-follows-his-pinball-passion-on-epic-road-trip/

Great video Nic, I think the photojournalist did an excellent job editing as well.

#1162 6 years ago

great report!!!

#1163 6 years ago

Great interview, and kudos to the product of the segment for not slipping into time-worn cliches.

Best thread ever.

#1164 6 years ago

really enjoyed that clip - wished it was longer! great exposure...and Nic -
    you are a natural (speaker)! er .... no! I mean

#1165 6 years ago

Here is the story on YouTube. The quality is better.

#1166 6 years ago

Fantastic coverage! You're a good soul, Nic!

#1167 6 years ago

Nice video! You are going to Chicago?

#1168 6 years ago

Great segment Nic!

#1169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Nice video! You are going to Chicago?

Yep. Another tour. Scroll back through the posts for the details.

#1170 6 years ago

Spanish Eyes and Nick on TV .... Oh Yeah!!!

#1171 6 years ago

If you decide to do another full round roadtrip circle including the Pacific Northwest, I am gearing up to conduct a full restoration of another Ted Zale "zipper flipper" game out of my collection, which you would find intriguing, if you are not familiar with the full catalog of his innovative designs.

I recently acquired a Dixieland (Bally, 1968) that was documented non-routed since it was bought new in 1968 for Bowers Mansion in Reno, NV. The game was passed onwards in an estate sale in 1997 to a private owner who bought it for his young daughter as a gift when she was 12 years old.
    It was with the daughter for another 20 years, until I she contacted me as person who specializes in these specific games.
    Cosmetically the game was outstanding, including the backglass, playfield, and a solid bright cabinet.
    Almost identical visually to the game in the flyer.
    But, the history of the game is equally amazing, not to mention that there are probably less than 300-400 of this game title left in the world.

Essentially, I have only seen maybe 100 games in near three decades collecting and restoring that have ever looked so clean from the standpoint of the internal electromechanics.
    Even the jones plugs look factory new.

Another example of pinball history.

291008401.jpg291008401.jpg

#1172 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you decide to do another full round roadtrip circle including the Pacific Northwest, I am gearing up to conduct a full restoration of another Ted Zale "zipper flipper" game out of my collection, which you would find intriguing, if you are not familiar with the full catalog of his innovative designs.

Hey BK! Shame I missed you up in Vancouver... will have to rectify that before too long.

I have a Dixieland. Bought it from the house of a Bally employee via eBay a couple of years ago. I think the layout may be the most unique and innovative of all 60's-era Bally EM's. Build up mini-bagatelle bonuses, carryover bonuses, progressive clarinet bonuses, three diverters, unusual sling angles, rebound scoring lane, and of course zipper flippers. It's just so damn cool from an engineering perspective. Not everyone likes the cartoony artwork, but I am a child of 1970's Saturday morning cartoons... works for me!

Can't wait to see your pics and progress. BTW, where can I find out more about the history of the game?

#1173 6 years ago

That video interview is great, but Nic should have been wearing a headlamp.

#1174 6 years ago

I will soon be sending out PM's regarding the Chicago tour. I don't think a venue will be available for a group class, so I will likely stick with the original plan of staying with one person per day. Will fit in as many as I can... might have to make a return trip.

#1175 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Thanks for doing this as I never could get the direct link from the CBS 11 station to load.

#1176 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I will soon be sending out PM's regarding the Chicago tour. I don't think a venue will be available for a group class, so I will likely stick with the original plan of staying with one person per day. Will fit in as many as I can... might have to make a return trip.

Still working on this Nic......

#1177 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

BTW, where can I find out more about the history of the game?

In this case I was not referring to the game design by Ted Zale, but this physical example of Dixieland.
    All of Ted Zale's "zipper flipper" games have historical mysteries that are getting harder and harder to fill as many of those involved have been deceased for over 30 years.

However, this personal game had an incredible non-routed story to share, why it was purchased, and how it was care for overall. Very well respected, I might add, even though it finally "died" as a result of lack of understanding how to conduct proper maintenance. I only know this because the game was actually fully documented from the time of its original purchase in 1968, including multiple photos in the two homes, and bills of sale.

I got it already running in a few hours of work, but there is a lot of "polishing" to go, to make this game truly play it's clarinet. The game is completely original with no hacks on wiring, burnt coils, screwed up backbox assemblies, missing parts, or other common problems. Most initial problems were electrical contact issues due to age oxidation, not dirt. Even the score reel assemblies are bright white like right off the assembly line.

Here is the brass plaque that was installed on the game backbox for over 20 years and is a small part of the game history.

Sometimes the best part of pinball is the game history that goes with the individual example itself.

20727592_10214054592499177_1498421596_o.jpg20727592_10214054592499177_1498421596_o.jpg

#1178 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I need to hurry up and move to Chicago.

#1179 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

\
    I recently acquired a Dixieland (Bally, 1968) that was documented non-routed since it was bought new in 1968 for Bowers Mansion in Reno, NV.

That sounds amazing. Keep the history alive. Reno has your back.

#1180 6 years ago

Nic, if you find yourself on this side of the lake, I would love an opportunity for our challenge game we didn't get to. Either way, safe travels.

#1181 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jumping-Box:

What a great story. Fun to hear Nic talk about it.

#1182 6 years ago

Apparently there is no follow up or plans for a taco/burrito/pin Mexi-tour. Still would love to see those south of the border get their share of help.

Good luck on the repeat trip to the Chicago area.

#1183 6 years ago

Isn't Tejas part of Mexico?

#1184 6 years ago

Pardon the delays... my inbox/FB/mail has been exploding after the CBS segment. I now have the basic schedule and am working out the fine details. Class will be in Chicago during the weekend of the 26th-27th.

I can accommodate three individuals along the way (am sending PM's/emails right now):

Aug 20 - Drive to eclipse site (fun surprise location)
    Aug 21 - See eclipse and drive to open slot #1 late PM
    Aug 22 - All day with #1
    Aug 23 - Drive to open slot #2 late PM
    Aug 24 - All day with #2
    Aug 25 - Chicago exploring & barcade visits
    Aug 26 - Chicago group session
    Aug 27 - Chicago group session
    Aug 28 - Tentative visit w/Neo (@CaptainNeo)
    Aug 29 - Return visit with Bob Mlsna and his pinball alpacas!
    Aug 30 - Tentative Spooky visit then drive to Kansas City - open slot #3 likely group event
    Aug 31 - Tentative visit w/Mike (@MikeO)
    Sep 1 - Return to Dallas

#1185 6 years ago

Maybe a new thread can be started, as this is now morphing into no longer the NNAPT, but more of the Midwest Chicagoland Tour.

#1186 6 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Hey Rob, nice job getting that Sky Lab back to playing

Hey, thanks for all the kind words! I took it on as a learning project. I learned that EM pinball games can drive you NUTS! Nick taught all of us a lot.

#1187 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Pardon the delays... my inbox/FB/mail has been exploding after the CBS segment. I now have the basic schedule and am working out the fine details. Class will be in Chicago during the weekend of the 26th-27th.
    I can accommodate three individuals along the way (am sending PM's/emails right now):
    Aug 21 - See eclipse and drive to open slot #1 late PM
    Aug 22 - All day with #1
    Aug 23 - Drive to open slot #2 late PM
    Aug 24 - All day with #2
    Aug 25 - Chicago exploring & barcade visits
    Aug 26 - Chicago group session
    Aug 27 - Chicago group session
    Aug 28 - Tentative visit w/Neo (CaptainNeo)
    Aug 29 - Return visit with Bob Mlsna and his pinball alpacas!
    Aug 30 - Tentative Spooky visit then drive to Kansas City - open slot #3 likely group event
    Aug 31 - Tentative visit w/Mike (MikeO)
    Sep 1 - Return to Dallas

Hey Nic,
    I've been busy and out of the mainstream lately, just saw this this post. Are you not coming to the New Ulm Pinball Museum
    in Minnesota near the end of August?
    John Vorwerk
    New Ulm, MN

beatles backglass (resized).jpgbeatles backglass (resized).jpg

#1188 6 years ago
    Quoted from johnvorwerk:

Hey Nic,
    I've been busy and out of the mainstream lately, just saw this this post. Are you not coming to the New Ulm Pinball Museum
    in Minnesota near the end of August?
    John Vorwerk
    New Ulm, MN

I would like to, but I'll have to schedule a different trip for that visit. New Ulm adds 6+ hours and 500 miles to the route.

#1189 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I use the 8220 for the huge 12-volt battery life. The 8050 has a smaller battery but makes up for it by being lighter and easier to maneuver.
    I haven't tried the 8050 but I assume it would work just as well.

Am I seeing this right, Nic ? The 8220 is the heavier duty model, with longer battery life, and yet it is showing at 15 bucks less than the 8050 on Amazon at the moment ? A heavier weight in the hand would normally steer me in one direction, but then the more versatile switch controls lean me in the other . . . .

#1190 6 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Am I seeing this right, Nic ? The 8220 is the heavier duty model, with longer battery life, and yet it is showing at 15 bucks less than the 8050 on Amazon at the moment ? A heavier weight in the hand would normally steer me in one direction, but then the more versatile switch controls lean me in the other . . . .

I haven't tried the 8050 but I'm sure either would be just fine. Speed control and higher capacity battery is what won me over to the 8220.

#1191 6 years ago

FYI... I have just updated the entire key topic index for this thread. You can now find all of the visits and key destinations more easily from the first page index.

#1192 6 years ago

Don't forget about us North East guys.

DangerSem and I were trying to figure out some issues with his Sky Kings and failed miserably. Us looking at the schematic was like two cave men confronted with an iPhone.

#1193 6 years ago

Another use for the Magic Brush? Burnishing pop spoons! Shiny and smooth metal glides the best.

IMG_3107 (resized).JPGIMG_3107 (resized).JPG

#1194 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Another use for the Magic Brush? Burnishing pop spoons! Shiny and smooth metal glides the best.

Yup. Always have used my dremel tool and wire wheel bit to polish the spoon after thoroughly cleaning out the old glop and grease. Then, just a very light dab of Teflon grease.

#1195 6 years ago

Hey Nic,

We spoke at Allentown about our buddy Dave Yopp at The Retro, I'm also putting together the Pinball Graffiti Archives Vol. I. I have a stop for you at a relative in New Orleans if your schedule allows. He was born and raised there so he definitely knows his way around. he has a Space Odyssey I sold him that has start up issues since the move from NJ. I'll have to update myself on your plans for this second outting and would love to get you a shirt

zeep (resized).jpgzeep (resized).jpg

#1196 6 years ago

Chicago group class will be on the 26th and 27th. Bring a pin if you like or just come for the learnin's. We have room for maybe two more people (max 8 ideally). PM me if interested... thx!

#1197 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Chicago group class will be on the 26th and 27th. Bring a pin if you like or just come for the learnin's. We have room for maybe two more people (max 8 ideally). PM me if interested... thx!

I'm in!

#1198 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Aug 21 - See eclipse

You might want to hit the road sooner than you think,
    could be bumper to bumper log jam on the freeways
    heading to ground zero.

#1199 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

You might want to hit the road sooner than you think,
    could be bumper to bumper log jam on the freeways
    heading to ground zero.

My friend is traveling to Portland this weekend. Said there are no Rental Cars available at all until Tuesday. All the companies over booked and are having to tell people they won't get a car!

#1200 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

My friend is traveling to Portland this weekend. Said there are no Rental Cars available at all until Tuesday. All the companies over booked and are having to tell people they won't get a car!

I hate to rain on anyone's parade -- and of course this is much easier for US to say in most of Cali, where eclipse totality will not exceed 60 % -- but I think most folks will get better views of this on tv. The worldwide professional major media will have the best equipment, and the best vantage points. Add in high-def, which most people have access to these days. You'll get to see this over and over again, from every which way there is. I'd probably say something similar for a Super Bowl or World Series Game 7. You would see much more, in much greater detail, than if you were actually there. And you wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of huge crowds and terrible traffic. Yes, there is an excitement and a "historicity" (if that's a word one might coin here) that could only be had live, but it's a trade-off.

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/24?hl=backyardace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.