(Topic ID: 179489)

"Nic's North American Pinball Tour" (aka I'm coming to fix your games!)

By NicoVolta

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,359 posts
  • 287 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tiltpic (resized).jpg
    pinballpeople (resized).jpg
    82AEE677-99AB-4A06-88A1-AC46A83934EF (resized).jpeg
    E7F956A9-A133-49D5-837E-2E60D848B928 (resized).jpeg
    BEC68D50-0F81-45CE-8DB4-923B9BB92E4F (resized).jpeg
    0D22BACD-6C20-4EFC-9566-72C275C7A0E9 (resized).jpeg
    KVIL poster (resized).jpg
    CA49040D-6630-4A45-98EC-098A17B1BC1E (resized).jpeg
    5BF19104-DCAB-43FB-8061-580F76A59EEB (resized).jpeg
    7635D833-0BF0-4A15-8D04-D5018215C5CC (resized).jpeg
    B353F092-BEC0-4EEA-9E80-4D958D496017 (resized).jpeg
    D197D070-C43D-4F3B-B4DC-6930AE040CD6 (resized).jpeg
    30AF8562-5B01-48D9-B9E3-07ADE8DFDE9F (resized).jpeg
    519741C7-0D7D-4E9B-B73B-5D622A352BD4 (resized).jpeg
    08E3B205-7BC0-417C-8C93-E12F0EF5F0B2 (resized).jpeg
    EADCF2A6-148F-4FFB-B852-3C9EDC8A5C67 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

93 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 48.
    #1051 6 years ago

Visit #44 -> Mark Shackelford (@pinpilot) in Granbury, TX

The subject: Student Prince, bingo, and fading fast…

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG

Mark wins the award for easiest Pinside name to remember: Pinpilot! Not only for having the dual-avocations of flying and pinball… but for LITERALLY FLYING A PINBALL MACHINE ACROSS THE COUNTRY IN THAT THING.

Pinball-by-air? Too cool!!! Shame that Pinflights.com is already taken… it could become the Uber of pinball-by-airplane transportation! But not by parachute, please. Backglasses are a trifle delicate for airdrop delivery. Tends to land with a thud, yanno?

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG

Today, a quick four-hour visit only. Poor Mark was getting the nearly-spent version of ol’ Nico. By this point I was coasting on fumes. We had high expectations to get a bingo machine and Student Prince up and running… alas, neither would be fully operational before my departure due to time, lack of bingo experience, and general exhaustion.

I wish I had half the energy ‘lil pinball puppy had to spare!

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

Bingos are… insane. I’ve never owned one. Never rebuilt one. They are the double black diamond run on the slopes of electro-mechanical technology. Peering into a bingo machine is like looking at Babbage’s Difference Engine: Giant camshafts spin, engage, lock, and unlock various wheels and switch stacks at unknown intervals. Or constantly. Or not at all. It’s on another level altogether and, well, as of July 2017 I just don’t have the knowledge yet.

However, I did find a few switches which weren’t switching (basic logic check) and corrected them. Also found several hovering fingers on the reflex stepper unit pictured here. I aligned them with the rivets as they should normally be. Still, the machine wasn’t fully functional.

Nicholas Baldridge (@bingopodcast)… host of the “For Amusement Only” show anticipated my troubles and, like Bingo Batman, offered a few troubleshooting tips ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, with only a few hours left (and flagging endurance), the road was a little too steep. We thus detoured to…

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

Student Prince. The 1pt relay was sticking, ball count stepper wasn’t physically able to move, player unit wasn’t advancing correctly, and a few other things weren’t optimal.

Rebuilding the 1pt relay fixed the stuck reel issue and provided a basic introduction to servicing them. We then rebuilt the ball count stepper which was almost totally frozen.

Removing the motherboard allowed us easy access to polish and gap all of the relays. I also serviced some of the motor switches… but dad gum it… in hindsight should have done them all. The ball count stepper was only intermittently working after the rebuild which is most commonly due to a dirty or misaligned motor switch.

5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG

When rebuilding steppers, don’t forget to give the springs a swipe with alcohol. They work better without the grease and dirt.

6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG

Before reassembly, the stepper board received the usual Mother’s polish treatment. Always a beautiful sight.

And thus… four hours gone, game only partially rebuilt, and no schematic on hand we had to hang it up for the evening. Not the ideal ending I had in mind for the final stop on the tour. *sigh*

7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG

Nevertheless, Mark and his wife were very gracious in providing a home-cooked meal and a bottle of… you guessed it… that infamous wine again. Totally unnecessary but appreciated very much!

I made arrangements to host Mark’s machine in the VECTOR Committee at the Dallas Makerspace for additional fixes and lessons. I’ll get it running yet, and how. Just need to get home and regroup after this… this… hmmmm. I’ll need at least a week to sum up what just happened over the last four months and 15,000 miles.

Hang in there, Mark, and keep flying. We’ll have Student Prince up and running before long!

Final stop -> Epilogue

#1053 6 years ago

Aw, shucks! Thanks Nic!

Just doin' what I do. Once you're back and caught up on sleep, if you are interested in learning what makes these EM masterpieces tick, let me know. I'll be here!

To you and @pinpilot, note that the reflex unit is used for auto-portioning. Based on how well you (or the previous folks) play the game, the reflex helps it to pull a few more nickels from you. The integration is a bit subtle, but what I can tell you about the picture there is that the operator was a cheapskate!

The reflex is unlike many steppers in that it is additive. The more fingers connected to rivets, the better your chances of getting an award jump from a coin dropping in the game.

From my experience, some operators understood that you do have to let people -play- the game, and some did not. I'm sure they made money, regardless.

Anyway, the reflex was not the source of whatever the trouble was. @pinpilot, if you shoot me a pm or make a post in the bingo section, I am more than happy to walk you through the fix.

This particular game, Gay Time, is one of the greatest games. The top row of balls can hop left and right, with the feature qualified, and the player can rearrange the first four columns of the bingo card at will (with -that- feature qualified). Spotted numbers, corners scoring, extra ball buyin, and higher scoring lines on the card... I could bore you to tears with how advanced the ball detection of that top row is (combination of AC and DC circuitry with an amazing array of switches), but I'll let it go for now.

Remember what my friend Vic Camp said and many have echoed (paraphrased): flipper games are like checkers, bingos are like chess. The same is true of mechanics and circuitry as well as gameplay.

#1054 6 years ago

Bravo Nic! Thank you for a massively entertaining and well written documentation of the most epic pinball journey of all time. If I can't book you for tour #2 I might camp out on the side of the road in your path with a machine. Thanks again - so very well done.

#1055 6 years ago

Thank ya folks but hold yer final comments until I get the final wrap-up done!

#1056 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Thank ya folks but hold yer final comments until I get the final wrap-up done!

Did you keep track of mileage, fuel used? Days or hours of drive time? Vehicle repairs on route? How many states you traveled through?
    How many pins did you actually touch, and or repair? All some what interesting stats. -Cheers.

#1057 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Did you keep track of mileage, fuel used? Days or hours of drive time? Vehicle repairs on route? How many states you traveled through?
    How many pins did you actually touch, and or repair? All some what interesting stats. -Cheers.

All that and more. I enjoy statistics.

#1058 6 years ago

Congrats, a real pleasure to follow along.

#1059 6 years ago

Was nice meeting you at the Seattle show (well, at the top of the stairs @ the hotel)--- wish I could have spent some quality pinball time with you & pinwiztom in Salem, but we were busy @ work & I could not get away. Really have enjoyed reading about your amazing trip!
    Dasvis

#1060 6 years ago

Congrats on finishing! Looking forward to the wrap up and some statistics!

#1061 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Babbage’s Difference Engine

Hah! And you just called someone a nerd a few posts back! NERD!

#1062 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Hah! And you just called someone a nerd a few posts back! NERD!

I confess I could not resist a trip to the Computer History Museum.

(alas, the Difference Engine had already been removed)

#1063 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

How many states you traveled through?

#1064 6 years ago

There was no way I was going to let Nico escape before feeding him his favorite vino!

Quoted from NicoVolta:Visit #44 -> Mark Shackelford (pinpilot) in Granbury, TX
    The subject: Student Prince, bingo, and fading fast…

Mark wins the award for easiest Pinside name to remember: Pinpilot! Not only for having the dual-avocations of flying and pinball… but for LITERALLY FLYING A PINBALL MACHINE ACROSS THE COUNTRY IN THAT THING.
    Pinball-by-air? Too cool!!! Shame that Pinflights.com is already taken… it could become the Uber of pinball-by-airplane transportation! But not by parachute, please. Backglasses are a trifle delicate for airdrop delivery. Tends to land with a thud, yanno?

Today, a quick four-hour visit only. Poor Mark was getting the nearly-spent version of ol’ Nico. By this point I was coasting on fumes. We had high expectations to get a bingo machine and Student Prince up and running… alas, neither would be fully operational before my departure due to time, lack of bingo experience, and general exhaustion.
    I wish I had half the energy ‘lil pinball puppy had to spare!

Bingos are… insane. I’ve never owned one. Never rebuilt one. They are the double black diamond run on the slopes of electro-mechanical technology. Peering into a bingo machine is like looking at Babbage’s Difference Engine: Giant camshafts spin, engage, lock, and unlock various wheels and switch stacks at unknown intervals. Or constantly. Or not at all. It’s on another level altogether and, well, as of July 2017 I just don’t have the knowledge yet.
    However, I did find a few switches which weren’t switching (basic logic check) and corrected them. Also found several hovering fingers on the reflex stepper unit pictured here. I aligned them with the rivets as they should normally be. Still, the machine wasn’t fully functional.
    Nicholas Baldridge (bingopodcast)… host of the “For Amusement Only” show anticipated my troubles and, like Bingo Batman, offered a few troubleshooting tips ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, with only a few hours left (and flagging endurance), the road was a little too steep. We thus detoured to…

Student Prince. The 1pt relay was sticking, ball count stepper wasn’t physically able to move, player unit wasn’t advancing correctly, and a few other things weren’t optimal.
    Rebuilding the 1pt relay fixed the stuck reel issue and provided a basic introduction to servicing them. We then rebuilt the ball count stepper which was almost totally frozen.
    Removing the motherboard allowed us easy access to polish and gap all of the relays. I also serviced some of the motor switches… but dad gum it… in hindsight should have done them all. The ball count stepper was only intermittently working after the rebuild which is most commonly due to a dirty or misaligned motor switch.

When rebuilding steppers, don’t forget to give the springs a swipe with alcohol. They work better without the grease and dirt.

Before reassembly, the stepper board received the usual Mother’s polish treatment. Always a beautiful sight.
    And thus… four hours gone, game only partially rebuilt, and no schematic on hand we had to hang it up for the evening. Not the ideal ending I had in mind for the final stop on the tour. *sigh*

Nevertheless, Mark and his wife were very gracious in providing a home-cooked meal and a bottle of… you guessed it… that infamous wine again. Totally unnecessary but appreciated very much!
    I made arrangements to host Mark’s machine in the VECTOR Committee at the Dallas Makerspace for additional fixes and lessons. I’ll get it running yet, and how. Just need to get home and regroup after this… this… hmmmm. I’ll need at least a week to sum up what just happened over the last four months and 15,000 miles.
    Hang in there, Mark, and keep flying. We’ll have Student Prince up and running before long!
    Final stop -> Epilogue

#1065 6 years ago

I hope you do it again, meet more pinheads, get more EMs up and running, use your power tool on other's pins, and ultimately start a reality TV show about it and the adventures you encountered. Congrats on doing what nobody else had done and documented it with entertaining prose and good photos.

#1066 6 years ago

Epilogue – part 1 of 2

the grand loop (resized).jpgthe grand loop (resized).jpg

Well folks, NNAPT has finally come to an end. Together we’ve spent nearly four months on the road, 15,000 miles (thus far... went to 30k eventually), $1000 in gasoline ($997.53 to be exact), taken 2,153 photos/videos, and eaten dozens of bento box lunches along the way. And much more… so much it is difficult to summarize but I’ll try (I’m still exhausted).

I’m happy that my goals for the trip were fulfilled:

• See the country and scout new cities as a potential future home
    • Meet new people and tell their stories
    • Fix games and share EM knowledge
    • Challenge myself and test my limits
    • Have fun and create an enjoyable experience for others

Many games were fixed along the way:

4 Roses
    Aces & Kings
    Abra-Ca-Dabra (2)
    Argosy
    Astro
    Atlantis (2)
    Bank Shot
    Big Ben
    Captain Card
    Captain Fantastic (4)
    Card Whiz (2)
    Card Trix
    Centigrade 37 (2)
    Cherry Bell
    Combat
    Continental bowler
    Cover Girl
    Cross Town (3)
    Derby
    Dodge City
    Dragon
    Fathom
    Fireball
    Flip Flop (2)
    Flipper Cowboy
    Flipper Pool
    Goalee
    Grand Prix (5)
    Gulfstream
    Hi-Diver
    Hobbit (The)
    Hurdy Gurdy
    Ice Show
    Jackpot
    Jacks Open
    Jumping Jack (2)
    Jungle Princess
    King Of Diamonds
    King Pin
    Kings & Queens
    Lawman
    Liberty Bell
    Little Chief
    Lucky Ace
    Magic Baseball
    Magic Circle
    Mainliner bowler
    Mariner
    Mars Trek
    Mayfair
    Mini Cycle
    Nags
    Oklahoma
    Old Chicago (2)
    Olympic Hockey
    OXO
    Quick Draw
    Paul Bunyan
    Picnic
    Rancho
    See Saw
    Shuffle Pool
    Sing Along (2)
    Skill Pool
    Skylab (3)
    Solar City (2)
    Solids N' Stripes
    Space Mission (2)
    Spanish Eyes
    Spirit of '76
    Super Soccer
    Surf Side
    Sweet Hearts
    Target Alpha (2)
    Team One
    Ten Strike
    Volley (2)
    Wizard! (2)
    World Series

Total: 105 (in reality, 10-15 more than that – some were undocumented during the tour)

Games not included in the list above:

Basketball Champ
    Gridiron
    Student Prince
    Sweet Hearts
    Thunderbird bowler
    Universe woodrail

Most of these fell into the “lacked the right tools, missing parts, ran out of time, no schematic but were still improved” category.

The two which eluded me:

Rocket woodrail – stuck in perpetual hole kickout mode, schematic sucked, frayed wire harness maybe?
    Flying Turns – ran out of time and fuses (should have brought circuit breakers!) trying to identify short

And finally, Cabaret – the game which briefly served as class material before ABANDONING SHIP!

Repair ratio: 98.1%. I can live with that.

In my opinion, every EM needs to be rebuilt top-to-bottom, down to the last screw, in order to be “gold standard certified”. We have reached the point in time where every EM is at least four decades old. This is much longer than they were ever intended to run and the issues we encounter today are often much worse than what pinball techs had to deal with many years ago!

The time has come to reset the odometer and save them for another generation.

I’ve made a big fuss over the “Magic Brush” (Dremel carbon steel brush attachment 443) during the tour for a good reason. It is ideal for cleaning, smoothing, and polishing metal in a non-destructive manner without flinging loose wires about. It is the most important tool in my arsenal next to qtips/alcohol and a switch adjuster... and I can’t imagine continuing my work in the EM hobby without it.

Let’s pause for a moment to review some core recommended tools to make life easier in EM-Land:

IMG_3014 (resized).JPGIMG_3014 (resized).JPG

• digital multimeter
    • socket driver set
    • cordless lithium-ion Dremel with speed control
    • 3-in-1 oil - rarely used anymore (see next)
    • Super Lube - rarely used anymore... have largely switched to Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube for most duties
    • Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol
    • zip ties
    • small container of Mother’s Mag & Aluminum Polish
    • Novus 2
    • Ideal Stripmaster wire stripping tool
    • small grip-tweezers
    • “The Pinwrench” (5/8ths and 9/16ths swiveling ratcheting wrench)
    • 6-in-1 screwdriver/socket driver
    • X-acto knife
    • magnetic retrieval tool
    • switch adjustment tool (wide flare on one side, narrow on the other)
    • long philips screwdriver
    • allen wrench set (standard, not metric)
    • magnetic parts dish
    • large pliers
    • needle-nose pliers
    • cutters
    • small standard screwdriver
    • Dremel 443 “Magic Brush” carbon steel brush
    • Dremel 442 carbon steel cup brush
    • Dremel sanding flapwheels (can order cheaply from eBay - ideally of various grit types)
    • bench block/jeweler’s block (portable anvil)
    • hammer
    • Harbor Freight spring kit
    • alligator clips
    • KEO 53515 deburring tool (for installing thick LED’s in backbox sockets)

With this loadout (and some replacement pinball parts), you should be able to fix almost any issue in EM-Land.

We played a lot of games too! The EM Home Challenge ended with a 21-7 final tally (not every stop had a functional game or timeframe). Kudos to all who made me fight for every win! Extra congrats to the seven who beat me:

Lee (@Svendtube) – Trade Winds
    George (@JustageFehler) – 4 Roses
    Mark (@Therave) – Mariner and Flip Flop
    Matt (@Matesamo) - Astro
    Duane (@cpu-slave) – Solids N’ Stripes
    Dave (@brenna98) – Combat
    Nick (@Barkz) – Centigrade 37 and Jungle Princess

Most of these guys are battle-scarred, tournament-hardened competitors who don’t give an inch! If you ever find yourself facing off against one of them in the future, beware… you have been warned.

IMG_0524 (resized).JPGIMG_0524 (resized).JPG

Let's not forget the arcade venues and shows visited during the tour:

The Retro
    Flashback Arcade
    Game Galaxy
    Replay Museum
    Vintage Pinball
    Silverball Museum of Delray Beach
    Allentown Pinfest
    Strong Museum of Play
    Up-Down Minneapolis
    Tilt Pinball Bar
    Voxel VR Parlour
    Can Can Wonderland
    Pokey's Pinball Cafe
    Seattle Pinball Museum
    Add-A-Ball
    Flip Flip Ding Ding
    8-Bit Arcade Bar
    NWPAS 2017
    Ground Kontrol
    Quarterworld
    Pacific Pinball Annex
    Pacific Pinball Museum
    Pins & Needles
    "The Unbelievable Collection"
    D&D Pinball

(part 2 to be continued...)

#1067 6 years ago

Epilogue – part 2 of 2

And now… a few trivia questions:

IMG_0755 (resized).JPGIMG_0755 (resized).JPG

Q: Hardest place to find? A: Jeff Green in Madison, VA (@Wolftownjeff)

Thanks to Google Maps, it wasn’t that difficult to find Jeff’s majestic Virginia homestead. It did serve as a significant milestone, however, because it was the point where my physical body was beginning to complain: “Are we really going to do ANOTHER 12-14 hour working day on our feet?”

The tour took on a whole new dimension from this point onward. Had I bitten off more than I could chew? Probably. It was a challenge to manage my resources and push ahead regardless.

IMG_1164 (resized).JPGIMG_1164 (resized).JPG

Q: Sweetest dog? A: Daisy – at Bryan’s place in Andover, CT (@1974DeltaQueen)

I made dozens of dog-friends on the tour but Daisy was my favorite. At first she was a spastic barking mess barely restrained on a leash. But after a while she became extremely friendly and constantly gave me the moony-love eyes. Bryan said she was looking for me after I left… awwwwww.

IMG_0694 (resized).JPGIMG_0694 (resized).JPG

Q: Sweetest cat? A: Missy – at Orin’s place in Durham, NC (@Lobster)

Lots of friendly kittens on the tour but Missy was the best. I could barely spend a minute alone without this talkative and affectionate fluff ball hypnotizing me into staying just a bit longer.

IMG_0991 (resized).JPGIMG_0991 (resized).JPG

Q: Best meal? A: Sorry… can’t pick one. Food and drink with my pinball chums and their families was the best part of the trip. Too many good moments breaking bread and laughing together with wine to rank them in any meaningful order. Yes, even Matt’s signature “weiners and coffee milk” with the family was a memorable treat.

IMG_0759 (resized).JPGIMG_0759 (resized).JPG

Q: Favorite restaurant? A: The Bavarian Chef with Jeff Green. Loved it. The spectacular yet humble old-world house with creaky wood, dim lighting, unobtrusive music, experienced waitstaff, numerous Belgian/German beer taps, and delicious food made quite an impact and reminded me of my childhood home.

IMG_0405 (resized).JPGIMG_0405 (resized).JPG

Q: Toughest fix? A: Bill Hanson’s Spirit of ’76. It fought me all the way through. Every time I fixed something, another issue revealed itself… intermittently. Then another. But it was whipped into shape during the final hours, if only just. Ah, Gottlieb. *sigh*

Q: Easiest fix? A: Again, Bill Hanson’s place… The Hobbit. A single rollover switch was misaligned. *poof*… all done.

IMG_0657 (resized).JPGIMG_0657 (resized).JPG

Q: Coolest machine worked on? A: Orin Day’s Shuffle Pool. Part puck-bowler, part billiards, part hologram!

IMG_0614 (resized).JPGIMG_0614 (resized).JPG

Q: Any favorite new games? A: I learned I am primarily a fan of multiplayer EM’s. Multiplayer EM’s are the most social of all. Each player only gets one ball before rubbing elbows with another. Everyone stays engaged because there is so little time in between to check cell phones or become distracted. Whereas taking turns on a single-player EM requires everyone to wait until the whole game ends.

Oftentimes, “carryover features” are touted as proof of single-player EM superiority over multiplayers. While there can be some truth to this, I find it grossly overstated in terms of what makes a game fun (and whom with!). Furthermore, some multiplayers do have carryover features of their own.

Of the top 10 games in my personal collection, 7 of them are multiplayers. I’ve got 21 games on my want list and only 6 are single-players. So, if you are a person who enjoys the social aspect of pinball as much as the gameplay, better give those multiplayers a second look!

Q: *AHEM* so which were the favorites?

EM: 8-Ball, Aztec, Beach Queens, Big Day, Captain Card, Diamond Jack, Expo, Gulfstream, Little Joe, Lucky Hand, Nags, See Saw, Skylab, Solids N’ Stripes, Space Odyssey, Wizard!, and The Wiggler

SS: Baby Pac-Man, Hardbody, Laser War, Lord of the Rings, and Total Nuclear Annihilation (watch out for this one!)

IMG_1760 (resized).JPGIMG_1760 (resized).JPG

Q: Why EM’s?

A: EM’s from the 60’s and 70’s represent the most essential form of pinball. It was a time when artwork, sounds, and mechanics all came together in a golden age of geometry and challenge.

I like all eras of pinball but EM’s deliver the core of what is best about the game. And they’re the most fun to work on! Oftentimes people enjoy rebuilding them as much (or more!) than playing the game!

IMG_1145 (resized).JPGIMG_1145 (resized).JPG

Q: Anything you would have done differently?

A: Hoo boy… this invites a whole ‘nother discussion. Yes, the main thing would be padding the journey with longer overlaps between stops. REGION 2 – East/Northeast Coast was just crazy-intense. Non-stop visits all the way up the coastline with hardly a break. By the time I reached my buddy Ryan in Lansing, I was so worn out I almost had a panic attack! Luckily I found my second wind after some tasty artichokes and Ethiopian food (and two nights of 12-hour sleep!).

Q: Would you do it again?

A: Ah, the big question. Yes and no.

I enjoy traveling, sharing knowledge, meeting new people, and fixing/playing pinball. I don’t think that will change. My interest in EM’s is here to stay for good… so why not keep it rolling?

However, whatever comes next won’t be quite the same. It can’t be. What I accomplished here was a little crazy in terms of scope and physical demands. I can’t possibly repeat it again. The planning stages alone took weeks!

NNAPT was not a business or a job… it was an adventure. Like a modern-day Johnny Appleseed spreading the EM-knowledge and returning years later to a forest of sparkling EM’s (one can hope, eh?). Financially, I didn’t quite break even. But that wasn’t the point. It wasn’t about the money, it was about the experience. And I’m unquestionably richer and happier for it.

I’ve made mention of an “encore tour” to accommodate those who weren’t able to participate… but it won’t be like what we’ve done here. Less adventure, more business kind of thing.

IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG

Q: Time to fade out... any final words?

NNAPT was a product of opportunity, passion, good timing, and a willingness to share. This was not a job; it was a collaborative adventure among fun-loving peers. Every one of whom has a stubborn sense of individuality to be admired. Pinball people are awesome!

I had an incredible time seeing the country and meeting so many of you in person. It will take time, perhaps years, to put everything I’ve seen and done into perspective.

I learned that a person’s home is a major influence upon their outlook and sense of self-expression. Who you are is, at least in part, a reflection of where you live. More than one may think.

I’ve lived in Dallas all of my life but have often felt it wasn’t quite the right place for me. People constantly remark that I don’t sound or seem like “a Texan”… which I’m not sure how to take. I know plenty of Texans who are absolutely wonderful people and good friends of mine. But after visiting the rest of the country (and Canada) firsthand, it is clear that this little fish has been swimming upstream for a long time… and it is time to go.

Finn Murphy, a truck driver and writer of the book “The Long Haul”, has a business moving families across the country. He’s an eloquent guy who has a good amount of insight into the lives of others. During a recent interview, he was asked where “home” is. To paraphrase:

“Home is where you’re safe. Not in the immediate sense of freedom from danger or outside interference, but rather where your mind and soul are safe. Where you can breathe and “just be”.

This is why so many people can’t find their home after moving from one big house to another big house across the country… because it doesn’t provide that “safety” regardless of the opulence inside.”

As a culture, we are overwhelmed with distraction and stimulation. We have dessert disguised as breakfast, our TV news is sensationalist low-quality information, our web browsers are full of voices and videos which should never have been given a microphone, 3,000 people a day are injured in auto accidents due to technological distraction, memes have replaced knowledge, and politics have replaced fellowship.

The only way to escape to a more authentic life is to slow down, disconnect from the cultural baggage and constant bombardment of lies, and get in touch with nature, health, fellowship with others, and reality… and build anew from there. Which often takes a lifetime.

It was a letdown returning to Texas just in time for our Senate to pass the idiotic “bathroom bill” which helps no one. It was a stark contrast to the abundance of rainbow flags I found in Canada during June (Pride month) and people of so many mixed religions and origins coexisting peacefully. Up there, diversity and acceptance isn’t a mere talking point or something to "tolerate", it’s just how it is... and it’s no big deal! Live and let live, right? That’s the kind of America I was raised to believe in… not this wave of repressive Puritanical anger shutting down the most vulnerable among us. This “culture of denial” and "tyranny of the majority" is to be feared. It is the enemy of true liberty. And sadly, despite having a number of fine people here, Texas is currently under its thrall.

I have decided to relocate to the Pacific Northwest or somewhere along the west coast. Pinball is big up there and so are the progressive attitudes. It is the place where I felt the most “home” in terms of who I am today and what I have to offer.

IMG_3001 (resized).JPGIMG_3001 (resized).JPG

And so, the adventure will continue. Thank YOU for coming along and enjoying the ride with me. May "Team EM" live long and prosper.

#1068 6 years ago

Best Thread Ever ... Good Luck To You

#1069 6 years ago

Hey Nic? This thread was simply epic, and so are you. Bravo, my friend, and I hope to cross paths again (perhaps if you don't leave Texas before TPF!) so I can shake your hand again. It will have so much more meaning this time.

I'm just pissed you didn't choose Jersey. I could use a good EM tech.

#1070 6 years ago

Awesome/epic journey and what a great time you had!! We may have a record for furthest service call...From Texas to Calgalry? Driving no less ....

#1071 6 years ago

Wow, great trip and posts! Happy to have met you in Lodi, CA, home of the Golden State Pinball Festival (formelly Pin-a-Go-Go) and I look forward to seeing you at the show May 18-20, 2018. I most appreciate the time you took to document your trip...outstanding job...and thank you for spreading all that woderful pinball cheer!

#1072 6 years ago

I had a feeling you would end up in a liberal minded area. PacNW suites you very well indeed. Glad you used this as a means to an end, and a journey as well.

#1073 6 years ago

Reading your posts have been the favorite part of my Pinside day.
    I hope you have the chance to travel over to Europe and do a tour here, there are a lot of EMs and few to fix them.

#1074 6 years ago

The reports of your journey seemed to have the happiest, most "at-home" tone in them during the Pacific Northwest phase. Sounds like it would be a neat place to live. Have fun!

#1075 6 years ago

Can I clap now? Yes?

You are awesome!

#1076 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I really enjoyed reading your updates.

#1077 6 years ago

Now I know why Nic couldn't fix my Student Prince..must have been all the Trump paraphernalia in my house throwing him off his game!!! LOL

Nic, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you decide to go!

PS - Johnny Brotherton got S.P. fixed for me today! YEAH BABY!

#1078 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I have decided to relocate to the Pacific Northwest or somewhere along the west coast. Pinball is big up there and so are the progressive attitudes. It is the place where I felt the most “home” in terms of who I am today and what I have to offer.
    » YouTube video

I vote Eugene, Oregon - Blair alley, cool college town, lots & lots of things to do close by - Mountains, desert, & the coast - all about an hour away.

#1079 6 years ago

Hey, everybody!

Nic's sleeping...

#1080 6 years ago

sleeping is for old people. Hopefully you can head over here on the next round and i'll show you the exciting world of Solid state zaccaria.

#1081 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sleeping is for old people.

Tell that to the blue hairs that power-walk our local mall at 5 in the morning. If that's what retirement looks like, I'll be glad to keep working until I'm dead.

#1082 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Tell that to the blue hairs that power-walk our local mall at 5 in the morning. If that's what retirement looks like, I'll be glad to keep working until I'm dead.

you tell them when you see them tomorrow morning for your morning walk.

#1083 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you tell them when you see them tomorrow morning for your morning walk.

Dick.

#1084 6 years ago

Yeah! Politics! !!

#1085 6 years ago

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. It would have made a nice documentary.

#1086 6 years ago

Thanks for documenting this, Nic. What a massive undertaking. Extended periods of intense pressure change a person. Very impressed that you retained your sense of humor and were able to spread the love of these electromechanical beauties.

Congratulations! (Now get some rest!)
    -Nick

#1087 6 years ago

Top-100 thread of all time on Pinside. Whoever knows how to ensure this thread never falls through the cracks -- make it so!
    -mof

#1088 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I have decided to relocate to the Pacific Northwest or somewhere along the west coast.

Deb and I
    along with Dewey, Jack, Ouija, LeRoy, Lil' Bit, MoJo and Tippy are happy about this.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Q: Sweetest dog? A: Daisy

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Q: Sweetest cat? A: Missy

Dewey Dog and our cats not so happy about this!

Hope to see you soon, once you relocate, wherever that may be.
    Great journey
    Great story
    Great guy

#1089 6 years ago

You ain't finished yet.
    I want to see the unveil/debut of your new acquisition, Bally Sheba.
    Maybe in the EM Hangout.

#1090 6 years ago

Great thread Nic, Followed it from the start. Very cool idea you had doing the trip... Screwed up on my shirt, so if anyone has an extra xl--hit me up!

#1091 6 years ago

This whole thread was great.
    Great to have my Gulfstream working correctly. Even better to meet you.
    Glad you made it home safely.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

#1092 6 years ago

Great thread, thankyou.

#1093 6 years ago

Best of luck in the next stage of your life! I figured NW would be the place for you...

#1094 6 years ago

Great thread Nic! Now get some rest!

Bummed that there will be no more updated for me to read when its slow at work.....

#1095 6 years ago

Very nice docupintary ! Besides all the pics and EM tips, I also really enjoyed your descriptive narrative
    and humor presented in all your "stories" ... big thumbsup

#1096 6 years ago

This has been my favorite thread to follow since Nic created it. I couldn't agree more with fanuminski's comment above. I think what I enjoyed most was the people and places. If there was a Pinside award for Stewardship Nic would be tops on my list!

Thank you Nic for not only sharing your journey, but for sharing your thoughts and enthusiasm with us all.

Brad

#1098 6 years ago

I really enjoyed following you along on your journey. The best thread ever on Pinside! You did a great job documenting it. Best of luck.
    PS- where is the Bavarian Chef restaurant?

#1099 6 years ago

Nic, I'm very happy to have been a part of your trip.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge on repairing and maintaining these great EM's; you have definitely helped and motivated me to keep my games playing strong.

I'm looking forward to when you do settle down in your new location, maybe a EM tour reunion?

How about some EM repair tutorial's to post since your tour has ended.

#1100 6 years ago

Thanks Nic for your positivity and for all you have done for the EM community - truely a joy to follow you along your journey. Best wishes on your upcoming move and looking forward to hearing about your future adventures. This was the best thread ever on pinside!

There are 2,359 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 48.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/22?hl=bek1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.